Todt and Ecclestone to get mandate for F1 decisions

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,281 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 19:01

Adam Cooper @adamcooperF1 3 Min.Vor 3 Minuten

Big news as FIA WMSC gives mandate to Bernie and Todt to make "recommendations and decisions regarding a number of pressing issues in F1"

Adam Cooper @adamcooperF1 1 Min.Vor 1 Minute

It clarifies those issues as "such as governance, Power Units and cost reduction"

Advertisement

#2 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,502 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 19:05

The FIA says "Power Units homologated in previous seasons may now be re-homologated".

FIA also confirms that Ferrari will supply a 2015 engine to a fourth team in 2016 - in other words, @ToroRossoSpy...

#3 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,281 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 19:13

From the FIA website

Mr Todt and Mr Ecclestone expressed their intention to establish conclusions on these matters by 31 January, 2016.

#4 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,648 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 19:29

I wonder if the pressing issues they are looking to solve coincide with what the fans think are the pressing issues.

#5 Nathan

Nathan

• 6,929 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 19:31

Good.  In sport and business I think dictatorship, or micro-democracy's, tends to work best.

what the fans think are the pressing issues

Hopefully some, but not all, because I think listening to the fans is what got us DRS and fall-apart tires.  There is also a contradictions in what fans want, going by the recent surveys.

Edited by Nathan, 02 December 2015 - 19:48.

#6 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 2,856 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 19:41

More of th same then. I don't see how mandating the same 2 people who are responsible for the mess could be a solution.

#7 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 24,873 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 19:43

They have never had the power to change anything without agreement from the teams unless it was under the guise of safety. Most obvious is the FIA engine. As I understand they can now push it through without the teams having any say. 

#8 ren

ren

• 196 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 19:44

Well, there's no guarantee they'll make sane decisions, but I'm fine with Todt and Ecclestone calling the shots. I'm absolutely sick of the indecision and idiocy caused by the teams only looking out for their own interest and the indifference or incapability of FIA, FOM and other parties to steer F1 back to sanity regarding costs and tech regs.

It can't get any worse, right? (Famous last words, I know...)

#9 MortenF1

MortenF1

• 23,721 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 19:44

The ONLY positive I can think of here, is if Ecclestone rids the sport of V6 sewing machine Turbo engines.

#10 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,249 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 19:51

Just abolish the Strategy Group already.

#11 Seano

Seano

• 358 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 19:52

Changes to the tyres seems interesting

Changes have been approved by the World Motor Sport Council in regard to the way that tyres are used by teams in order to encourage differing race strategies in 2016. These include:

-        The tyre supplier will now provide three dry-weather compounds instead of two

-        Of the 13 sets of dry tyres available to each driver, the tyre supplier will choose two for the race (only one of which must be used in the race), and one set (the softest available) that may only be used in Q3. Each driver may then choose their remaining ten sets from the three available compounds

-        Unless intermediate or wet-weather tyres have been used, a driver must use at least two different specifications of dry-weather tyres – at least one of these must be the one chosen by the tyre supplier.

Oh dear Toto - further headaches on the way,

Seano

#12 pdac

pdac

• 17,122 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 19:58

Good.  In sport and business I think dictatorship, or micro-democracy's, tends to work best.

Hopefully some, but not all, because I think listening to the fans is what got us DRS and fall-apart tires.  There is also a contradictions in what fans want, going by the recent surveys.

Couldn't agree more.

#13 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,548 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 20:00

Does that actually mean anything, or is it just more meaningless prattle? They still don't have the power to do whatever they want, and the only thing Bernie and Todt are aligned on is reducing the power of the manufacturers and large teams to the benefit of themselves. They both want fundamentally different things from Formula One.

That's before you consider the fact that the two of them are largely responsible for most of the current real problems in the sport.

#14 Whatisvalis

Whatisvalis

• 2,201 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 20:05

Does that actually mean anything, or is it just more meaningless prattle? They still don't have the power to do whatever they want, and the only thing Bernie and Todt are aligned on is reducing the power of the manufacturers and large teams to the benefit of themselves. They both want fundamentally different things from Formula One.

That's before you consider the fact that the two of them are largely responsible for most of the current real problems in the sport.

Hasn't this mandate given them exactly that, the power to do what they want by bypassing the teams?

#15 pdac

pdac

• 17,122 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 20:24

Hasn't this mandate given them exactly that, the power to do what they want by bypassing the teams?

There still may be an issue with commercial contracts and their terms though, surely.

#16 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,548 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 20:26

But the FIA don't have the power to bypass the teams, so how can they grant it to anyone?

#17 andrewf1

andrewf1

• 2,775 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 20:38

Taking control away from the teams, or the Strategy Group, is a good move in principle - just look at the newly proposed 2017 regulations. However, I get no feeling of confidence whatsoever imagining the fate of our sport in the hands of these 2 visionary "experts" - who btw, are 85 & 70 years old respectively.

4JM4Skm.jpg

#18 KingTiger

KingTiger

• 1,895 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 20:42

:down:  Todt and Bernard are two of the biggest reasons for the mess F1 is in right now. F1 does need a dictator, but someone who actually knows whats good for the sport like Toto or Brawn.

#19 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 8,724 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 20:44

but someone who actually knows whats good for the sport like Toto

Rofl

Advertisement

#20 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,281 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 20:47

but someone who actually knows whats good for the sport like Toto

He cant even manage his own drivers....

#21 goingthedistance

goingthedistance
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,471 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 20:47

I think it's just vague grandstanding, an attempt to give the impression that the WMSC are willing to back Todt and Bernie if the teams don't follow through and they have to go down the force majeure route to get change.

Basically just trying to make sure that the compromises reached last week actually happen.

#22 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,281 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 20:49

I think it's just vague grandstanding, an attempt to give the impression that the WMSC are willing to back Todt and Bernie if the teams don't follow through and they have to go down the force majeure route to get change.

Basically just trying to make sure that the compromises reached last week actually happen.

Yep, thats what was suggested last week by AMuS as well. Thats also why I doubt that the alternate engine will get its comeback.

#23 Heisenberg

Heisenberg

• 701 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 21:16

I can't say much about his abilities or about his leadership, but Rosberg & Hamilton are not exactly the easiest pair to work with. How would you manage them?

Edited by Heisenberg, 02 December 2015 - 21:17.

#24 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,539 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 22:09

Well, 11 TP's are of course obedient children. :p

#25 black magic

black magic

• 4,477 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 22:12

a move designed to inspire fans with new heart.

not

#26 KingTiger

KingTiger

• 1,895 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 22:15

Nobody can manage two drivers that want to win and have the means to whine about it to the media when they don't. He's at least better at it than Ron. 

#27 Jonnycraig37

Jonnycraig37

• 728 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 22:18

:F1 does need a dictator, but someone who actually knows whats good for the sport like Toto

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

I just gave myself a hernia laughing. Typical. :(

#28 Dolph

Dolph

• 12,129 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 22:51

He is not doing a worse job than the guys who managed Schumacher-Barrichello, Alonso-Massa, Hamilton-Alonso, Prost-Senna etc

#29 pdac

pdac

• 17,122 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 22:57

:down:  Todt and Bernard are two of the biggest reasons for the mess F1 is in right now. F1 does need a dictator, but someone who actually knows whats good for the sport like Toto or Brawn.

But aren't you agreeing that it would be better with a dictator - just that you'd prefer that dictator to be Wolff and not Todt or Ecclestone

#30 LeClerc

LeClerc

• 24,667 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 23:12

Any competition, where the competitors are making the rules, is doomed. 

One sentence, easy to read and understand, but many here seem to disagree.

#31 KingTiger

KingTiger

• 1,895 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 01:57

But aren't you agreeing that it would be better with a dictator - just that you'd prefer that dictator to be Wolff and not Todt or Ecclestone

Yes. That is why I said F1 does need a dictator. Of course Toto would need to leave his post as a Mercedes director. But he is the type of winner that can fix F1. Bernard and Todt have proven to only make things worse.

Edited by KingTiger, 03 December 2015 - 02:39.

#32 Otaku

Otaku

• 1,715 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 02:06

I wonder if the pressing issues they are looking to solve coincide with what the fans think are the pressing issues.

Obviously not. Never ever. It's F1 after all...

#33 Peter0Scandlyn

Peter0Scandlyn

• 727 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 04:25

The fall apart tyres were concockted (spelling mistake intentional) between Ecclestone and Hembery. Don't try to blame the fans here.

They have never had the power to change anything without agreement from the teams unless it was under the guise of safety. Most obvious is the FIA engine. As I understand they can now push it through without the teams having any say. 

Yes. Take two coming up. Just when it should have should have been given last rites.

Well, there's no guarantee they'll make sane decisions, but I'm fine with Todt and Ecclestone calling the shots. I'm absolutely sick of the indecision and idiocy caused by the teams only looking out for their own interest and the indifference or incapability of FIA, FOM and other parties to steer F1 back to sanity regarding costs and tech regs.

It can't get any worse, right? (Famous last words, I know...)

You must be a very recent follower of the sport?

This is the pair of fools who all alone and unaided created the mess.

#34 Wuzak

Wuzak

• 8,416 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 05:23

I still don't see why the FOM (ie Bernie) has any say in the rules. Or on the decision on who supplies tyres to the series,

Supposedly the commercial rights were leased to Bernie because the EU wanted a separation between the rules makers and commercial dealings.

#35 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,824 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 07:42

As I understand they can now push it through without the teams having any say. 

Reminds of:

open-uri20150608-27674-19lo1tn_68e28655.

:eek:

#36 Mohican

Mohican

• 1,965 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 08:41

Very discouraging comments on this thread. How ANYBODY can be in favour of these two being given any authority at all is beyond me.

They should both be retired ASAP. Ecclestone because he has destroyed the viability of independent F1 teams chasing nothing but money - and Todt is weak, contemptible and ridiculous. For me his political posturing in Brazil, rather than exercising leadership over the response to terrorism in his own home city, was disgusting.

Good riddance to both, I say.

#37 LuckyStrike1

LuckyStrike1

• 8,681 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 08:44

Well it's better than letting the teams decide on nothing. Except helmet designs. 

Edited by LuckyStrike1, 03 December 2015 - 08:44.

#38 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,648 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 10:59

I still don't see why the FOM (ie Bernie) has any say in the rules. Or on the decision on who supplies tyres to the series,

Supposedly the commercial rights were leased to Bernie because the EU wanted a separation between the rules makers and commercial dealings.

I wonder about that as well. Why does an engine supplier have to get his permission to supply engines to a team and then make promises to supply others? Surely that should be a purely commercial agreement between the teams and anything else should be governed by the rules as tyre supply is.

#39 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,535 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 11:11

Well it's better than letting the teams decide on nothing. Except helmet designs. 

That remains to be seen. Last thing I remember Bernie successfully pushing through was double points for the final race of the season. If it's more shit like that, I'd rather have the choking inertia.

Advertisement

#40 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,281 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 11:15

Luckily they are just allowed to make decisions on PU and costs.

If they would get the mandate for all decisions Im convinced that we would get sprinklers next year...

#41 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 7,844 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 11:53

Any competition, where the competitors are making the rules, is doomed. 

One sentence, easy to read and understand, but many here seem to disagree.

I agree. Competitors, co-workers, students: they should have a say in the 'WHY' of rules, not in the 'How'.  It is a twofold thing. The rule-makers ask the participants: 'What do you think is the goal of the competition?' And trust their judgement. Then the rule-makers are going to decide 'How' they are going to get that 'Why' - and the participants should trust that judgement.

#42 LuckyStrike1

LuckyStrike1

• 8,681 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 12:06

That remains to be seen. Last thing I remember Bernie successfully pushing through was double points for the final race of the season. If it's more **** like that, I'd rather have the choking inertia.

The second decision the teams managed to take collectively except helmet designs. All teams, or a majority of the teams, were in favor. Just to be out of favor a month later. 

Anything that removes the power from the collective brain power and indecisiveness of the teams can't be too bad. Even if it includes putting Dumb and Dumber in charge. At least they will managed to take a decision or two on something that actually matters in F1. 

#43 kraduk

kraduk

• 696 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 12:08

Luckily they are just allowed to make decisions on PU and costs.

If they would get the mandate for all decisions Im convinced that we would get sprinklers next year...

That will never happen as it far to dangerous to let drunken fans stand on the edge of the track    :clap:

Seriously though there are two questions here. 

1. Should there be a dictatorship?

2. Who should it be

I think 1 would be a good thing, but im not sure about two. One things for sure though there are dicks in F1 atm.

Edited by kraduk, 03 December 2015 - 12:11.

#44 Slackbladder

Slackbladder

• 2,151 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 12:09

Sprinkler system and medals incoming!

#45 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,182 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 13:00

"Todt and Ecclestone to get mandate for F1 decisions"... well, Todt and Ecclestone to get a mandate to do their jobs, then?

This headline in itself is very telling on just how much power they've let go of in recent years. Specially Todt.

#46 senna da silva

senna da silva

• 5,750 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 13:55

The ONLY positive I can think of here, is if Ecclestone rids the sport of V6 sewing machine Turbo engines.

V6 turbos are the most powerful engines in F1 history.

#47 MortenF1

MortenF1

• 23,721 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 14:32

In terms of torque maybe, but what I want are screaming engines, that exotic sound, which set F1 apart.

#48 JeePee

JeePee

• 5,907 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 14:37

They could be. But with a 100kg/h fuel limit they are not.

#49 senna da silva

senna da silva

• 5,750 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 14:40

In terms of torque maybe, but what I want are screaming engines, that exotic sound, which set F1 apart.

Nope, horsepower as well. The V6 turbos of the 80's.

I was at Montreal this year with my son and it great knowing I didn't have to worry about hearing damage. Past engines were just painful to the point of absurdity.

Regardless, I believe that having someone make the decisions for the sport is better than the constant bickering of the teams attempting to come up with solutions by committee. However I'm not sure that Bernie and Jean are the right people for the job, time will tell.

#50 Exb

Exb

• 3,961 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 15:03

Surely Ferrari can just veto this new mandate for Bernie and Jean :p