Photo
- - - - -

How will the McLaren Group make more money?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Nathan

Nathan

• 7,075 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 15:18

Quote Ron Dennis..

“The process we are going through at the moment is with regard to how we can be bigger, stronger, to build the organization to match the resources some of the other players have because it’s not easy to race against Mercedes or Ferrari.”

McLaren Automotive may help that, but can such a business produce a consistent and sufficient revenue stream for McLaren Racing?  I doubt it.  The other McLaren businesses I'm sure are successful and make a tidy profit, but clearly combined it isn't enough when pondering another Ron Dennis quote...

"The [F1] business model is not attractive in the long term"

... because the economic golden era for Formula 1 is probably over, and revenues are going to decline, either steadily, rapidly, or at times both.

According to Ron ..."The way to avoid it is you build a broader base that supports a Formula 1 team, which is an important part of the business,”
And it is important because..."Our renewed partnership demonstrates a well-founded belief in the team’s ability to successfully activate brands around a shared, common vision for the future."

I assume that is through Formula 1 racing, via it's huge fan base, and how the sports reputation regarding technological progress, ability to rapidly adapt under pressure, and operations management is well thought of.

So what can McLaren do that is representative of it's "innovative high-technology", that puts them in a performance measured setting where McLaren can "win" something, AND double Group's revenues over the next 10-years? Ron has a penchant for finding large minority stakeholders to help fund his ventures.

Do you think they will make their own 'smart' watches?  McLaren Human Performance Data Combobulators.  What does Ron have up his sleeve?

Edited by Nathan, 10 December 2015 - 15:20.

Advertisement

#2 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,067 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 15:22

McLaren Applied Technologies is going to be an insane growth area in my opinion, technology partnerships in all kinds of domains and a huge amount of technology and revenue potential there.

#3 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,342 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 15:23

Toasters.

#4 Owen

Owen

• 13,178 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 15:26

'The judge' is speculating on McLaren becoming a plc. So it's not that then.   ;)

#5 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,613 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 15:47

Yeah, I posted this a few days ago over in the MP4-30 thread. I still wonder what he's talking about...

Dennis preparing 'giant step' for McLaren Group

http://reut.rs/1XvOQDs

What's he talking about here?

McLaren are planning a "giant step" forward as a company that will give their Formula One team more muscle to take on mighty Mercedes and Ferrari, group head Ron Dennis said after a dismal 2015 season on the track.

"How can we start to build our organisation to match the sort of resources that some of the other players have?"

"As and when we get there, if we get there, to where I think will allow us to take a giant step for McLaren, we will share it with the media."

Edited by AustinF1, 10 December 2015 - 15:47.

#6 CoolBreeze

CoolBreeze

• 2,453 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 15:55

Giant step? The only Giant step he should take is into retirement.

#7 Nathan

Nathan

• 7,075 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 15:56

McLaren Applied Technologies

So the seed is already planted, the product is in the pipeline, it now just needs water (money) and sunshine (marketing)?  My question is, what is it?  What thing effectively doubles McLaren Group?

'The opinionater' is speculating on McLaren becoming a plc

That spawned this thread, not sure I agree with their conclusion, but there has to be a product either way.

Edited by Nathan, 10 December 2015 - 16:00.

#8 oetzi

oetzi

• 6,829 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 16:02

Jeepers. Does he really intend to 'leverage' McLaren's mighty emotional pull and social reach?

I promise I'll be nice to him if he pulls it off.

#9 DRSwing

DRSwing

• 517 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 16:10

Here is Joe Saward's take on McLaren's future.

https://joesaward.wordpress.com
"The word is that Ron has found money in China and that negotiations are ongoing..."

I remember reading something about Ron trying to get Chinese investors (maybe from one of his interviews). Coincidentally, Alonso had these two Chinese characters on his visor during the Abu Dhabi GP. Was thinking at that time if it had anything to do with the Chinese investors that Ron was planning to bring in. Probably not, but can't help but wonder.

#10 oetzi

oetzi

• 6,829 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 16:12

They had Aigo.

Huawei would make sense on many levels.

#11 Nathan

Nathan

• 7,075 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 16:12

Does he really intend to 'leverage' McLaren's mighty emotional pull and social reach?

But if you think about it, they can.  McLaren was able to launch a volume sports car brand and immediately establishes itself. That is very difficult to do even if you have the money to do it.

#12 oetzi

oetzi

• 6,829 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 16:15

It took them 20 years. No F1, no P1. And they still can't build engines.

Meh.

Edited by oetzi, 10 December 2015 - 16:15.

#13 Lemans

Lemans

• 2,739 posts

Ron is soulless and dull. All he has done in his life is turn around an ailing F1 team into one of the most successful ever and start a car company that is creating some of the best sports cars in the world.

Boooooorrring.

#14 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Well, Mclaren kind of had a reputation from the F1 road car 20 years ago so it's not *entirely* like starting from scratch.

#15 Lemans

Lemans

• 2,739 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 16:16

It took them 20 years. No F1, no P1. And they still can't build engines.

Meh.

Ya. You should show Ron how it's done. :up:

#16 Owen

Owen

• 13,178 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 16:18

So the seed is already planted, it now just needs water and sunshine?

That spawned this thread, but the going public conclusion made no sense to me.  There is going to be something though.

Ron says 'if it happens' he will share more information on it. So it's not a definite.

#17 oetzi

oetzi

• 6,829 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 16:20

So the seed is already planted, the product is in the pipeline, it now just needs water (money) and sunshine (marketing)? My question is, what is it? What thing effectively doubles McLaren Group?

Military stuff?

#18 JimmyTheFox

JimmyTheFox

• 717 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 16:32

"The word is that Ron has found money in China and that negotiations are ongoing..."

I remember reading something about Ron trying to get Chinese investors (maybe from one of his interviews). Coincidentally, Alonso had these two Chinese characters on his visor during the Abu Dhabi GP. Was thinking at that time if it had anything to do with the Chinese investors that Ron was planning to bring in. Probably not, but can't help but wonder.

Both drivers had two visors decals, is Wilson Lee the English translation?

FERNANDO_ALONSO_MCLAREN_FORMULA_ONE_ABU_

_79P9982_ymu2nEG.jpg

Who's Wilson Lee :confused:

#19 DRSwing

DRSwing

• 517 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 17:23

No idea. The one on Alonso's visor is a Chinese lady's name. Maybe it's Ron's way of showing potential investors the perks of sponsoring McLaren :D

Advertisement

#20 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,613 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 17:25

Wow. Joe sure never misses a chance to take a shot at another blogger or writer.

#21 dierome1987

dierome1987

• 92 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 17:49

I dunno. The drivers' visors had Chinese characters last year at Abu Dhabi as well. I think it has something to do with Johnnie Walker. The font and the colors match their brand.

#22 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 18:40

Yeah and it's a non-alcohol race so probably a fan/customer promotion.

#23 pup

pup

• 2,614 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 18:53

"The F1 business model is not attractive in the long term.
"How can we start to build our organisation to match the sort of resources that some of the other players have?"

My advice to Ron to deal with both those things is to sell off the F1 team to Honda.  That gives the team the resources and backing of a manufacturer, just like Merc and Ferrari.  It gives McLaren a wad of cash to either invest or pay off the current investors.  It gets rid of a financial drain on the company which is probably preventing them from finding other investment.  And they could negotiate that Honda retain the McLaren name and pay a yearly license fee to do so.  

I think that would qualify as a 'giant step'.  And it's the sort of thing that Ron could rationalize as 'ensuring the future of the team' or whatnot.  

#24 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 19:06

What happens when Honda has had enough of F1?

#25 superden

superden

• 4,185 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 19:13

The team formerly known as McLaren ends up like Enstone F1, passed to a new owner every time the money, or interest, runs out.

#26 pup

pup

• 2,614 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 19:22

Ross Brawn Ron buys it for $1

Edited by pup, 10 December 2015 - 19:23.

#27 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,283 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 19:26

The same what happened to Williams when BMW had enough of them, I guess

#28 muramasa

muramasa

• 8,479 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 19:27

(╯°□°)╯︵( .o.)

#29 Nathan

Nathan

• 7,075 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 19:27

Ron is saying he wants McLaren to be self-dependent, the exact opposite of selling McLaren to an automaker.  Ron's interest lies in McLaren the brand, not the underlining racing  company.  Formula 1 is used by McLaren to start and develop businesses, and those businesses will be used to fund F1 racing.  If he sells McLaren Racing the whole groups goes away.  It is the exact opposite of what he speaks of.  Ron is looking to expand McLaren.

Edited by Nathan, 10 December 2015 - 19:28.

#30 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 19:38

The same what happened to Williams when BMW had enough of them, I guess

You mean Sauber, since they were owned by BMW.

#31 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,283 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 19:41

You mean Sauber, since they were owned by BMW.

Yeah, they as well. But the Williams/BMW example fits better as it is also a glorious F1 team and as Honda isnt owning McLaren.

#32 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,283 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 19:59

So we had already Joe Sawards and The Judges take on that, has anyone already catch up with Jacques Villeneuve yet?

#33 Peter0Scandlyn

Peter0Scandlyn

• 727 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 20:02

Don't forget Eddie......

#34 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 20:37

Yeah, they as well. But the Williams/BMW example fits better as it is also a glorious F1 team and as Honda isnt owning McLaren.

pup was recommending they become owned by Honda

#35 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,283 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 20:44

pup was recommending they become owned by Honda

Oh, thats where are you coming from.

However, I guess the situation doesnt change much then anyway. In my opinion McLaren is currently already depending on Honda on the financial site anyways. If Honda buys them and has enough of F1 then they could buy the team back for a much lower sum.

#36 SonJR

SonJR

• 441 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 20:45

The Formula E driverless support series with robot cars sounds like a prime McLaren project and a 'special sort of dream' for Dennis. Are we sure they're not secretly behind it?

#37 oetzi

oetzi

• 6,829 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 21:36

My advice to Ron to deal with both those things is to sell off the F1 team to Honda.

If you said the road car business, that would make sense.

#38 LeClerc

LeClerc

• 24,956 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 21:54

He's signed a deal with Scrabble to be a rare word tutor?

#39 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,551 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 22:04

McLaren Applied Technologies is going to be an insane growth area in my opinion, technology partnerships in all kinds of domains and a huge amount of technology and revenue potential there.

I'd agree. I believe it's already a major earner for McLaren, and the revenue is likely to keep growing, as the Applied Technology people are very good.

Advertisement

#40 turssi

turssi

• 3,368 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 22:33

Is he just crazy or is there some kind of a logic in saying that his business model is not attractive and and even sponsoring it can be seen as a thing of the past?

#41 EvilPhil II

EvilPhil II

• 1,884 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 02:31

He was comparing Mclaren the Mercedes and Renault and asking how they can compete with their budgets. 

Interestingly, most of car manufacturers core revenue isn't cars... they are banks. 

https://en.wikipedia...cedes-Benz_Bank

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_Bank

https://www.audibank...ivatkunden.html

https://www.renault....lt-finance.html

#42 SB

SB

• 2,437 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 03:12

No idea. The one on Alonso's visor is a Chinese lady's name. Maybe it's Ron's way of showing potential investors the perks of sponsoring McLaren :D

In fact, that Chinese name could be either for male or female, something like "Joey" in English world .... 

https://www.google.c...0.0.vic46jGrb-U

#43 SB

SB

• 2,437 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 03:20

Both drivers had two visors decals, is Wilson Lee the English translation?

Did some search behind the great firewall , Wilson Lee ( "李瑞华" ) is the GM (or some similar management role) of Johnny Walker China. The name was put on the helmets most likely because the beverage brands ad was banned in Abu Dhabi. 

http://tieba.baidu.com/p/4184184619

#44 Owen

Owen

• 13,178 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 09:58

McLaren hints at imminent staffing boost
http://www.motorspor...staffing-boost/

#45 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,218 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 10:31

Maybe they're going to build Skynet.