Photo
- - - - -

It's all about engine integration! The difference between Mercedes and its customer teams

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,283 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 13:32

When we are talking about the reasons why works teams are so far ahead of their own customers, then we hear very often about the engine integration. But what does that mean? F1i.com features an article today with a lot pics of the Mercedes PU and also deals in one part with the differences between Mercedes, Williams, Lotus and Force India.

F1-Mercedes-power-unit-engine_3.jpg

Compared to 2015 customer teams Williams, Force India and Lotus, Mercedes’ works outfit enjoys more leeway and time to fully optimise engine integration, thus refining and improving the car’s internal aerodynamics. The Silver Arrow is the only machine to have its intercooler (air-to-water) straight within its carbon monocoque, which also allows having shorter boost pipework.
As seen on the picture above, the Williams FW37, Force India VJM08, and Lotus E23 feature an air-to-air intercooler in their left sidepod. On all three cars, the component sits very much at the front of the internal combustion engine (ICE) in order to stay away from the heat released by the ICE and exhaust.
Consequently, the duct that channels compressed air towards the intercooler is definitely longer on these three cars than on the Mercedes. And we mentioned earlier that shorter pipework means more electric energy to boost the engine. Below is a diagram that offers a basic comparison between the different Mercedes-powered installations.

Implantation-intercooler-moteur-mercedes

More pics and insights in the following article

http://en.f1i.com/ma...power-unit.html

Advertisement

#2 OO7

OO7

• 23,401 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 14:18

Great article, thanks for posting it Marlar.  You'd think that next season at least, a team such as Williams should have had enough time to incorporate a similarly integrated solution, featuring an intercooler within the monocoque structure.

Edited by OO7, 12 December 2015 - 23:42.

#3 MortenF1

MortenF1

• 23,746 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 20:20

Why did it become like this at Mercedes customers in the first place? I would imagine it was Mercedes somehow being able to dictate this advantage for themselves. 

#4 repete

repete

• 347 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 22:46

or having normal tube headers in your mockup, then showing up to testing with log headers.....(2014), really good for the customer teams right.

#5 KingTiger

KingTiger

• 1,895 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 22:46

Mercedes has twice or thrice the budget of their customers. Of course they'll be way ahead of them. 

#6 BullHead

BullHead

• 7,934 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 22:53

Manufacturer perogative. Of course they supply others, but won't help with integration too much, they're not designing the chassis as part of the deal.

Red Bull hoped that Renault would be that way for them, but Renault had other plans....

Ferrari have got it right now. The manufacturer teams ought to be the cream with such complicated PU systems.

#7 Wuzak

Wuzak

• 8,499 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 01:09

Why did it become like this at Mercedes customers in the first place? I would imagine it was Mercedes somehow being able to dictate this advantage for themselves. 

I think that a few weeks ago someone from Force India said they looked at that solution, but it is heavier and the extra cost to recover the weight in the stricture was beyond them.

#8 OO7

OO7

• 23,401 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 01:18

I think that a few weeks ago someone from Force India said they looked at that solution, but it is heavier and the extra cost to recover the weight in the stricture was beyond them.

I suspected it may have been beyond Lotus and Force India, Williams however are better equipped.