Photo

J G Parry Thomas and Invicta

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Steve L

Steve L

• 545 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 08:22

Before getting killed at Pendine Sands in March 1927 attempting the Land Speed Record in his aero engined car "Babs", JGPT had many other racing and auto engineering projects.

Amongst these was an involvement with the Invicta car company. He was entered to drive one of their cars in 1925 at Brooklands (although it is not clear if the car actually appeared). He is also said to have been drawing for them at the time of his death an 8 cylinder engine.

Does anyone know more about his relationship with Invicta please?

Edited by Steve L, 13 December 2015 - 08:24.

Advertisement

#2 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,502 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 11:13

I guess you've already seen Hugh Tours' Thomas biography as what he wrote is similar to what you posted above.

WB wrote extensively about Parry Thomas in Motor Sport, particularly in the late 1970s. A quick scan didn't reveal much but I'll take a closer look if you don't have access.

In April 1977 WB wrote about Babs' return to Pendine. He had been told that Thomas drove from Brooklands to Pendine for the fateful run in an Invicta. Wyn-Owen had been told that it had an experimental engine. WB said: "now in 1925.Thomas was due to race an Invicta with a four-cylinder FAST engine, but never did so. For the 1927 racing season he was rumoured to be preparing a straight-eight Invicta". Boddy wondered whether he might have used one of these for the journey to Pendine. He says that it is more likely to have been a normal 3-litre Invicta, "such as he had demonstrated shortly before at a CUAC speed trial".

#3 Steve L

Steve L

• 545 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 20:30

Hi Roger,
Many thanks for your reply to my post.
Yes, I did read what Hugh Tours wrote.
Bill Boddy wrote some wonderful articles, particularly about Parry Thomas.
I am very interested in the FAST engined car but am not 100% sure if JGPT was responsible for the concept and for building it, or if he was just asked to drive it. I contacted the Invicta Club archivist but they have very little information. I don't have easy access to my back issues of MS at the moment, so I would be very grateful for any additional information which you may be able to find please. A photo or two of the FAST- Invicta would be great!

Edited by Steve L, 13 December 2015 - 20:31.

#4 gasballoon

gasballoon

• 1 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 22:46

There is a picture of the first Invicta during Autocar's road test in Automobile Quarterly Volume XV No. 3  (August 1925)

23103082384_f7cf0151a6_z.jpg

More pictures of same car in Volume 43 No. 1 page 88 LINK

But this may not be the car Parry Thomas put the 'FAST' engine in.
You may strike lucky if you search 'FAST' ? (Fabbrica Automobili Sport Torino)