- - - - -

F1 promotion in the USA

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,289 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 17:34

For decades F1 is fighting to get some attention in the USA. While in the 80s several GPs were successfully held there, F1 has lose out in the last decades. The lack of races (no GP between 2008-2011), the Indianapolis 2005 scandal, the lack of American drivers and perhaps also the racing itself are contributing factors.

Last night CBS' 60 minutes, a popular prime time program which is watched by over 10m people in the USA, aired a 10 minutes segment with current F1 champion Lewis Hamilton, in one of his most genuines interviews. While it was basically about him (but also about the sport as it) and probably also aimed as self-promotion, I wonder whether these things might help to raise F1s awareness in the USA?

A warning in advance: This is NOT aimed to be one more opportunity to discuss whether you like Hamilton or not. The thread is also not supposed to be about him. The mods will lock the thread if the discussion is ending up in this way.

Advertisement

#2 Collombin

Collombin

• 8,658 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 17:39

I wouldn't have said the 80s were successful after the glories of Watkins Glen. I'm not surprised the US races flopped after that, given some of the venues.

#3 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,690 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 17:50

Well, given what we've seen from COTA, it's pretty clear that if F1 is going to be promoted in the USA, it's going to be done by F1, the teams, the sponsors, the manufacturers, or the drivers. The U.S. promoter apparently has no interest whatever in promotion of the series.

#4 Nathan

Nathan

• 7,107 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 18:07

Tough to say.  I think if you are an American and you are a motorsport enthusiast you certainly know of F1, and most likely know about the race.  TV ratings are on par with Indy racing, and both are covered by the same network.  Even NASCAR does a fair amount of promotional work for F1.  So in that regard I think the awareness is there.

Right now you have the basic level of F1 supporters, and if you want to grow that you need to get people excited and to do that F1 needs a competitive American driver (sure sparked Brazil).  I don't know what Mike Andretti did for ratings/popularity initially.  I think they need to return to Long Beach and got to NYC as both offer the glam F1 leverages, both are popular tourist destinations, and both have large ethnically diverse populations from countries with strong F1 followings.  Donuts in large downtown areas may spark fan interest.

Edited by Nathan, 14 December 2015 - 18:09.

#5 Dan333SP

Dan333SP

• 4,712 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 18:29

Good topic, Marklar! I think Hamilton is overrated.

:p

My serious response is that I think there is a pop culture halo about Lewis because of his relationships. My wife actually recognizes him, unlike any of the other drivers, because she's seen pictures of him on TMZ or whatever blog with Rhianna and Nicole Scherzinger, and apparently he's doing some sort of music work with Drake.

Because of this, he's a lot more appealing to the mass market non-fans in the US than just about any of the other drivers.

I'm not saying all the tabloid attention is a good or a bad thing for the sport, it just makes him as a personality more attractive to marketers and the average observer in this country.

Edited by Dan333SP, 14 December 2015 - 18:33.

#6 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,289 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 18:50

Good topic, Marklar!

At least I went ahead... :p

My serious response is that I think there is a pop culture halo about Lewis because of his relationships. My wife actually recognizes him, unlike any of the other drivers, because she's seen pictures of him on TMZ or whatever blog with Rhianna and Nicole Scherzinger, and apparently he's doing some sort of music work with Drake.

Because of this, he's a lot more appealing to the mass market non-fans in the US than just about any of the other drivers.

I'm not saying all the tabloid attention is a good or a bad thing for the sport, it just makes him as a personality more attractive to marketers and the average observer in this country.

Might and is probably true, but thats not the question

#7 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,690 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 19:06

To your question specifically, I think three things could help a lot, however none of them seem likely at this time.

1) The USGP venue could truly promote the race rather than simply running radio and TV ads locally and putting up a few billboards in Austin, San Antonio, Houston, and Dallas. (Yes, that's really all they do). They could activate other major markets across the U.S. with promotional events, giveaways, advertising, etc.  

2) A U.S. driver in a competitive car could help. But I think for even that to do much good it would have to be a driver who already has a bit of a following here. Someone from NASCAR, or a Newgarden or Karam. Of course there are Superlicense issues, and I doubt anyone is going to leave the security of a solid NASCAR or even IndyCar ride to go to Europe on the off chance of making it into a backmarker F1 seat. Too bad we missed out on Jeff Gordon. Rossi can help if he gets a ride, but only marginally.  He's exciting to us American  F1 fans, but he's a guy that few outside of F1 fans know about, and of course he's stuck at the back.

3) A U.S. manufacturer could enter the sport. I just don;t see that happening in the current economic climate, and with the current formula (see the public thrashings Renault, Honda, and even Ferrari have taken in this formula).

Edited by AustinF1, 14 December 2015 - 19:12.

#8 BRG

BRG

• 25,950 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 19:21

2) A U.S. driver in a competitive car could help. But I think for even that to do much good it would have to be a driver who already has a bit of a following here. 

But that's kind of Catch 22 isn't it?  To get a bit of a following, a US driver needs to compete and make an impression in one of the high profile series in the USA. And once they have done that, they are pretty much stuck there.  They become a hot property in NASCAR or wherever, they are in demand, get offered good seats and so on.  Unless someone in a decent F1 team decides to take a punt on them (which is profoundly unlikely, unfortunately) they would need to go to F1 as a pay driver.  Why do that when they are a big deal back home?  

And the shadow of Michael Andretti may still lay across the scene.

#9 Dan333SP

Dan333SP

• 4,712 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 19:29

Might and is probably true, but thats not the question

Right, the question is whether things like the 60 minute segment help to raise awareness of F1 in the US. I think the answer is unquestionably yes, but I also think there aren't all that many people in the treasured Millennial demographic that regularly watch 60 minutes or any major network newscasts. I'm an exception since I qualify for that "generation". but I know very few other people my age that enjoy F1, watch 60 minutes, listen to NPR, ect.

I think the pop star aura of Lewis reaches more people in that audience than any news report ever could, and that's just because of the changing nature of the media landscape. Having celebrity drivers that aren't just pedal pushers with monotonous precision and personal lives is the only way to really attract a certain set of the American populace to the sport who see pictures of Lewis pop up in their FB news feed or on Instagram and wonder, "Why is he famous?" and then look it up.

Unfortunately for the marketers, you can't force that sort of thing. Some drivers will live a public lifestyle, some will buy a secluded home in Switzerland and spend all of their time out of the public eye except when they're in the car.

These days, the cars themselves aren't spectacular to see either in person or on TV, so you need strong personalities to hook new fans.

#10 Nathan

Nathan

• 7,107 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 19:32

I agree with what you said, except I don't think many people wouldn't be in awe of seeing a F1 car in the flesh, running, and driving.

#11 loki

loki

• 12,315 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 19:38

60 Minutes hasn't been relevant in a couple of decades.  It's largely viewed by seniors.  The impact in the under 50 demographic is slim.  F1 is what it is in the US.  Those that do follow motorsport don't relate to arrogant, stuffy old white men.  F1 doesn't understand cord cutters or how to market to younger viewers.  In fact those that run F1 dismiss the very platforms those viewers use.  From the business side it's a money losing proposition where the model is slanted significantly toward the sanction making it near impossible for a decent return on investment.  The issue isn't with the US, the issue is a product not fit for this market with a business model that's dated.  This is as good as F1 gets here.

#12 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,690 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 19:38

But that's kind of Catch 22 isn't it?  To get a bit of a following, a US driver needs to compete and make an impression in one of the high profile series in the USA. And once they have done that, they are pretty much stuck there.  They become a hot property in NASCAR or wherever, they are in demand, get offered good seats and so on.  Unless someone in a decent F1 team decides to take a punt on them (which is profoundly unlikely, unfortunately) they would need to go to F1 as a pay driver.  Why do that when they are a big deal back home?  

And the shadow of Michael Andretti may still lay across the scene.

Exactly. That's pretty much what I was saying, in less detail. In other words, as I said it's not likely.

#13 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,690 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 19:40

Right, the question is whether things like the 60 minute segment help to raise awareness of F1 in the US. I think the answer is unquestionably yes, but I also think there aren't all that many people in the treasured Millennial demographic that regularly watch 60 minutes or any major network newscasts. I'm an exception since I qualify for that "generation". but I know very few other people my age that enjoy F1, watch 60 minutes, listen to NPR, ect.

I think the pop star aura of Lewis reaches more people in that audience than any news report ever could, and that's just because of the changing nature of the media landscape. Having celebrity drivers that aren't just pedal pushers with monotonous precision and personal lives is the only way to really attract a certain set of the American populace to the sport who see pictures of Lewis pop up in their FB news feed or on Instagram and wonder, "Why is he famous?" and then look it up.

Unfortunately for the marketers, you can't force that sort of thing. Some drivers will live a public lifestyle, some will buy a secluded home in Switzerland and spend all of their time out of the public eye except when they're in the car.

These days, the cars themselves aren't spectacular to see either in person or on TV, so you need strong personalities to hook new fans.

This is key. 

#14 YoungGun

YoungGun

• 29,566 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 20:15

It was difficult for Lewis to be up against the segment on Disney's Star Wars in the same 60 minutes showing,  but I thought he presented himself Ok. Personally, I would have liked to have seen more of the Mercedes F1 operation and not just the lobby.

#15 917k

• 2,963 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 20:25

I don't think open-wheel will ever regain any sort of true popularity in the US, at least not in our lifetimes. As it is right now, F1 already gets better ratings than Indycar on US TV - and that was with Indycar having a tremendously close and exciting season and F1 having one of the all-time bores.....

The number of US fans that will actually follow any sort of open-wheel seems pretty static and finite.

Edited by 917k, 14 December 2015 - 20:26.

#16 Dan333SP

Dan333SP

• 4,712 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 21:19

I don't think open-wheel will ever regain any sort of true popularity in the US, at least not in our lifetimes. As it is right now, F1 already gets better ratings than Indycar on US TV - and that was with Indycar having a tremendously close and exciting season and F1 having one of the all-time bores.....

The number of US fans that will actually follow any sort of open-wheel seems pretty static and finite.

This is true. The direct comparison in viewing numbers between F1 and Indy is even more useful because the commentators/advertising/network are all basically the same. There's just too much else in the US sports landscape to really ever draw in a large audience for F1. So long as there is enough interest to keep a GP in the US, I'll be happy.

#17 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,690 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 21:22

Yeah, I've said it before and I'm sure I'll say it again. I don;t mind F1 being a niche sport in the U.S. In fact, I rather prefer it that way. 

So long as there is enough interest to keep a GP in the US, I'll be happy.

There is easily enough interest here.There are more than enough fans to retain a GP. It's just a matter of energizing/activating the fans that are already here, providing a good fan experience for a decent price, and creating new fans along the way. Will that be done? Not this time around, apparently...but who knows what lies ahead.

Edited by AustinF1, 14 December 2015 - 21:42.

#18 Peter0Scandlyn

Peter0Scandlyn

• 727 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 04:06

The U.S. promoter apparently has no interest whatever in promotion of the series.

Interesting notion.......Isn't there someone higher up the food chain, calling the shots, fingers in all the pies, that masquerades as the 'promoter'? While all the while creaming off ALL the money?  :confused:

#19 Nathan

Nathan

• 7,107 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 04:32

Ya...but he isn't the promoter of the USGP, and the sport he creams money from is already known the world over.  Largely because he spent decades building a mutli-hundred million viewer TV show. That is why race promoters give the guy $40 million+ knowing full well it probably won't work out.  Bernie doesn't hold a gun to their heads telling them to sign the deal.  They know the score and who is responsible for what.  Considering the cost to build a track, host a race, do all the glam promotional work, a real good public marketing campaign would be peanuts even to most promoters.  I guess some don't feel the need to.  Some of you folks should get together, crowd source $50 million and host a race.  Show us, and them, how it's done.

If I hire you to come do a speaking engagement, should I also expect you to do the local advertising for me so I can sell the tickets I need to?  That would be silly, wouldn't it?  I pay you to give the content I want to sell, you determine your fee.  It is my job to decide if you are worth it, and then my job to sell it.  Why is F1 different?

Has Bernie ever claimed to be F1's promoter? "I am the promoter"?  Must be a reason why the people who really know him refer to him as The Ringmaster.

Edited by Nathan, 15 December 2015 - 04:40.

Advertisement

#20 Wuzak

Wuzak

• 8,508 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 04:48

I wonder if COTA could run an Indy race as a curtain raiser to the Grand Prix.

Though I'm not sure that would bring many more fans to the circuit.

Scheduling is also important.

When the Australian V8s went to COTA I was disappointed that they used a sprint format and had it on the same weekend as a NASCAR race (although that was in another state). I would have thought scheduling the race on a weekend where there was no NASCAR, having an endurance type event, along the likes of the Gold Coast race, and inviting NASCAR drivers to take part.

A couple of years ago Tony Stewart drove Hamilton's McLaren. But, IIRC, it wasn't on an F1 or NASCAR race weekend. He was just splashing around Watkins Glen by himself.

Jeff Gordon did a trade with Montoya to promote Indy.

How about having something like that on race day?

In Australia a regular feature is the performance comparison. A road car, a V8Supercar and an F1 car do a standing start lap of the circuit, handicapped in an attempt to get the across the line at the same time. A similar feature with a NASCAR may be interesting for the locals too.

btw, I went to the USGP at Indy in 2006. My American mate made the arrangements for accommodation, He asked why our rate was so cheap, and got the reply that they didn't realise the GP was on that week!

#21 BRG

BRG

• 25,950 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 19:10

Has Bernie ever claimed to be F1's promoter? "I am the promoter"?  Must be a reason why the people who really know him refer to him as The Ringmaster.

I think you have put your finger on the nub of the issue.  Bernie/CVC is/are the promoters of F1.  But Bernie doesn't believe that he needs to actually DO anything - just sit back and count the spondulicks as they flood in.  Sooner he and CVC are shunted into a siding, the better.

#22 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,690 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 19:16

Ya...but he isn't the promoter of the USGP, and the sport he creams money from is already known the world over.  Largely because he spent decades building a mutli-hundred million viewer TV show. That is why race promoters give the guy $40 million+ knowing full well it probably won't work out.  Bernie doesn't hold a gun to their heads telling them to sign the deal.  They know the score and who is responsible for what.  Considering the cost to build a track, host a race, do all the glam promotional work, a real good public marketing campaign would be peanuts even to most promoters.  I guess some don't feel the need to.  Some of you folks should get together, crowd source $50 million and host a race.  Show us, and them, how it's done.

If I hire you to come do a speaking engagement, should I also expect you to do the local advertising for me so I can sell the tickets I need to?  That would be silly, wouldn't it?  I pay you to give the content I want to sell, you determine your fee.  It is my job to decide if you are worth it, and then my job to sell it.  Why is F1 different?

Much truth here, esp the bold portions. Indeed, nobody puts a gun to these guys' heads, and they are just as motivated by greed, fame, etc as Bernie is.

COTA doesn't need to promote F1 to help F1. They need to promote F1 to help COTA. But they don't. So be it. It hurts them a lot more than it hurts F1.

#23 pdac

pdac

• 17,303 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 19:21

I think you have put your finger on the nub of the issue.  Bernie/CVC is/are the promoters of F1.  But Bernie doesn't believe that he needs to actually DO anything - just sit back and count the spondulicks as they flood in.  Sooner he and CVC are shunted into a siding, the better.

That's the point I think people fail to understand. The whole purpose of F1 is to make money for people. That could be organisations or individuals. But that's the primary focus - the sport/entertainment bit is just the carrot to get businesses, individuals and governments to hand over money.

#24 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,690 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 19:33

I wonder if COTA could run an Indy race as a curtain raiser to the Grand Prix.

Though I'm not sure that would bring many more fans to the circuit.

Scheduling is also important.

When the Australian V8s went to COTA I was disappointed that they used a sprint format and had it on the same weekend as a NASCAR race (although that was in another state). I would have thought scheduling the race on a weekend where there was no NASCAR, having an endurance type event, along the likes of the Gold Coast race, and inviting NASCAR drivers to take part.

A couple of years ago Tony Stewart drove Hamilton's McLaren. But, IIRC, it wasn't on an F1 or NASCAR race weekend. He was just splashing around Watkins Glen by himself.

Jeff Gordon did a trade with Montoya to promote Indy.

How about having something like that on race day?

In Australia a regular feature is the performance comparison. A road car, a V8Supercar and an F1 car do a standing start lap of the circuit, handicapped in an attempt to get the across the line at the same time. A similar feature with a NASCAR may be interesting for the locals too.

btw, I went to the USGP at Indy in 2006. My American mate made the arrangements for accommodation, He asked why our rate was so cheap, and got the reply that they didn't realise the GP was on that week!

Doubt you'll see IndyCar at COTA anythime soon. Texas Motor Speedway's right up the road, and Eddie Gossage and Bruton Smith don't want any infringement on what they consider their territory for IndyCar and NASCAR. They hold considerable sway with both series, and rightly so, imho.

I agree with you re: the V8SC format, and they probably would've been better off running the entire course as well. Re: a car swap, they actually had one with James Courtney, Fabian Coulthard, and Kurt Busch trading rides and running hot laps at COTA. We knew about it ahead of time and got pics & video from Haywood's Hill, but it wasn't promoted and open to the public. For the life of me I'll never understand why such a great opportunity to cross-promote was just tossed aside.

Here are a couple of crappy videos I shot...You can really see the differences between these cars in the 2nd one. The NASCAR has more power off the corner, but the V8SC can brake way later and is much better in the corners. Overall the V8SC was consistently quicker over a lap, but it was much closer than I thought it would be.

...and a nice onboard of Courtney in Busch's Furniture Row car, with Busch in the V8SC...As they approach T11 you can see me & my car up the hill on the right. That's Haywood's Hill.

Edited by AustinF1, 15 December 2015 - 19:50.

#25 Nathan

Nathan

• 7,107 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 19:33

I think you have put your finger on the nub of the issue.  Bernie/CVC is/are the promoters of F1.

Well there are many promoters in F1, each have their own job to do.  It certainly is not CVC/Bernie's job to advertise races.  To expand the fan base, sure they are apart of that, and that is in their fiscal interest.  It is a shame the FIA's financial take isn't based on a % of FOM revenues like the teams and CVC.  It just seems to me if there is a job that a person should be doing, but can't/don't, people think it should fall on to Bernie.

The teams can certainly do their part.  I went to the first race in Austin and if memory serves me correct only RBR, Ferrari and McLaren had any sort of fan engagement setup downtown. This season in Montreal I only remember Ferrari and Shell combining for a fan engagement display downtown.   Largely the teams care less, but they get the free pass despite combining to get the lions share of the sports revenues.

But to say Bernie doesn't do anything, that is rubbish.  To begin with look at what he has built.  In the last 10-years the sport has entered all the top markets.  In comparison to how hard he had to work in the past, sure he has eased off and is resting a bit on the foundations of what he played a large part in putting together.  But FOM now runs a very good Twitter feed, they have successfully marketed apps for fans, the website gets huge traffic,video clips are now being provided, and they are in the process of completely overhauling the coverage and how they are distributed in a way that will be more engaging for the fans.

It is fair to say FOM had been napping, but they are certainly on track.

Sooner he and CVC are shunted into a siding, the better.

And what kind of people do you think will take over?  Benevolent folks that hand out candy canes?

Edited by Nathan, 15 December 2015 - 20:53.

#26 BRG

BRG

• 25,950 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 19:50

Well there are many promoters in F1

Indeed there are.  But there is only one promoter of F1 as a whole.  And they are currently AWOL, and have been for decades.

And what kind of people do you think will take over?  Benevolent folks that hand out candy canes?

They say, be careful what you wish for.  

But it is hard to imagine anyone more avaricious and less committed to actually contributing to F1 than the current bunch of leeches.

Edited by BRG, 15 December 2015 - 19:51.

#27 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,275 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 20:13

Umm, you guys do remember that Michael Schumacher was interviewed on "60 Minutes" in the early 00s, don't you?   ;)

loki, the problem is old white guys make up the vast majority of auto racing fans in the U.S. and explains the declining interest in most (if not all) forms of motorsport in the U.S.

#28 pdac

pdac

• 17,303 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 20:36

Umm, you guys do remember that Michael Schumacher was interviewed on "60 Minutes" in the early 00s, don't you?   ;)

loki, the problem is old white guys make up the vast majority of auto racing fans in the U.S. and explains the declining interest in most (if not all) forms of motorsport in the U.S.

I would suggest that the demographic in the UK is much the same.

#29 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 7,073 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 20:55

If the F1 teams could give up a few test cars and minimum crews for them and send the bill to Bernie, they should do some demo work at various US races. Run ten lap sprints at Sonoma and Watkins Glen for the NASCAR folks, and the same for the IndyCar crowd at Long Beach and Road America. If they have fuzz on their peaches they could even try it at the Phoenix oval for both NASCAR and IndyCar. They could also show off for the NHRA crowd as well by doing some 1000 foot runs at the drag strip and putting a number up to show off their standing starts. There is probably still too sour a taste to do anything at Indy.

F1 as a product to sell is pretty tough to do on TV when nearly every race is at O dark thirty in the US, but letting live race fans clap eyes on these guys in real time would help tons, F1 on TV is just too sterile.

Edited by whitewaterMkII, 15 December 2015 - 21:00.

#30 Nathan

Nathan

• 7,107 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 21:03

I think that is a good idea.  But just send half the bill to Bernie since I'm sure the cars will still carry the stickers of multi-billion $ companies on them.

But there is only one promoter of F1 as a whole.

I will ask the same question for you specifically ...

If I hire you to come do a speaking engagement, should I also expect you to do the local advertising for me so I can sell the tickets I need to?

If Bernie is the promoter of a race, like when he did the Belgium GP, then it is his job to promote it.  But once he sells a track promoter, or a TV company, their related rights why does he need to promote it for them? Don't get me wrong, you list the race schedules, you list the TV carriers in each nation, you use your social media to talk about it, but just how much work is Bernie expected to do for the race promoters, teams and TV networks?  Why does FOM need to buy billboards and radio ads to tell people "hey, come watch F1 on Sky", or "come to the British GP?"  And if he should, what is the responsibility of the teams? After all they are the ones receiving two-thirds of the money FOM finds.

Edited by Nathan, 15 December 2015 - 21:05.

#31 pdac

pdac

• 17,303 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 21:44

If the F1 teams could give up a few test cars and minimum crews for them and send the bill to Bernie, they should do some demo work at various US races. Run ten lap sprints at Sonoma and Watkins Glen for the NASCAR folks, and the same for the IndyCar crowd at Long Beach and Road America. If they have fuzz on their peaches they could even try it at the Phoenix oval for both NASCAR and IndyCar. They could also show off for the NHRA crowd as well by doing some 1000 foot runs at the drag strip and putting a number up to show off their standing starts. There is probably still too sour a taste to do anything at Indy.

F1 as a product to sell is pretty tough to do on TV when nearly every race is at O dark thirty in the US, but letting live race fans clap eyes on these guys in real time would help tons, F1 on TV is just too sterile.

An interesting thought ... why not reschedule a bunch of races to be at a more acceptable hour in the US. They've been trying to keep the European audiences happy by keeping the times in line with tradition there, but if they think the US market is worth cracking, perhaps they ought to consider a few time changes.

#32 Nathan

Nathan

• 7,107 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 21:51

I think the issue is you have three large economic regions in the world, and one of them will always get the short end time zone wise.  Yes the American, Mexican and Brazilian markets are large, but so is China, Japan, Korea etc. 10 times more people watch an F1 race in Japan than America, why short change them?  It is a problem inherent to global sports.

Edited by Nathan, 15 December 2015 - 21:54.

#33 pdac

pdac

• 17,303 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 22:18

I think the issue is you have three large economic regions in the world, and one of them will always get the short end time zone wise.  Yes the American, Mexican and Brazilian markets are large, but so is China, Japan, Korea etc. 10 times more people watch an F1 race in Japan than America, why short change them?  It is a problem inherent to global sports.

It's the old "special deal, for new customers only!". If you want to expand in one area then you take the others for granted and hope that people stick with you.

#34 BRG

BRG

• 25,950 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 22:31

If I hire you to come do a speaking engagement, should I also expect you to do the local advertising for me so I can sell the tickets I need to?

No.  But then, that is a completely fallacious example as regards F1.  

If I am selling your product, say a breakfast cereal, I am not expected to do all your advertising for you.  That's why there are all thoise Rolex adverts round the track - paid for by Rolex, not by Nathan's the Watchshop.

I admire your persistence in defending the indefensible.

#35 Wuzak

Wuzak

• 8,508 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 23:44

The problem is the 100+ year leas FOM has got.

Other sports, here in Australia at least, periodically sell the broadcast rights to TV companies. Usually the one with the biggest offer wins, but a competitor might come along with a lower bid which is attractive in other ways - they may be using better broadcasting techniques, better commentators, have a broader audience reach, etc.

If Bernie and CVC had to bid for the right to broadcast F1 every 5-10 years the threat of a better offer from someone else would definitely motivate them.

#36 loki

loki

• 12,315 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 23:45

The exceptions to that demographic are rallycross, supercross/motocross and shortcourse off road.   To a lesser extent stock car racing where circle track isn't capturing much of the 25 or 30 and under it well outperforms open wheel in the 30-50 age group.

#37 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 09:03

Americans have a different approach to sport in general to Europeans and perhaps worldwide fans.

The ONLY reason F1 is interested in being there is money, no other, or there would not have been such concerted efforts to establish F1 there.

But Americans are easily pleased, they like to see everything, sit in comfort, have lots of breaks, have access to the cars and fans, enjoy the noise and spectacle. All of which are NOT available in F1.

Some of those things are important to the rest of the world, all are to Yanks, hence they try it and go away. They dont need to be seen anywhere as we do, so the events die, money runs out and they look for somewhere else to host a race.

Bernie will keep trying as he is making millions every time it fails, as someone earlier said, F1 is a business not a sport internally, so you keep fleecing the unwise. Like any good salesman does.

#38 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,690 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 09:38

Haas: F1 could find new US GP venue

http://www.grandprix...enue-says-haas/

#39 chipmcdonald

chipmcdonald

• 1,824 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 12:39

There has never been F1 promotion in the U.S..  Awareness is completely non-existent.

Make the races the same price as NASCAR.  Then you still have to cope with NASCAR levels of visibility .

Advertisement

#40 B Squared

B Squared

• 7,349 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 13:59

There has never been F1 promotion in the U.S.. 

The Argetsinger family of Watkins Glen, New York may disagree with that statement; key word, "never."

#41 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 6,090 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 20:25

One problem is the way FOM controls the signage at races. If tracks could cut deals for signs at 50% of the track they could enter cross promotion deals. For instance the Budweiser USGP or the Dollar General USGP in which case you could have promotion on Bud products or in Dollar General stores. Just look at all the NASCAR cross promotion. At countless gas stations they have a life size Kevin Harvick promoting Bud or Jr. with Mt. Dew. These kind of promotions help sell product and promote a sport. 

The price of car sponsorship is to high I believe to get a decent return on investment.

#42 pup

pup

• 2,617 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 20:52

Agreed - between starving them of income and draining what funds they have through exorbitant hosting fees, FOM essentially prevents race promotors from promoting.

#43 Nathan

Nathan

• 7,107 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 00:46

You know, if soccer can make inroads in America, F1 certainly can too.

The price of car sponsorship is to high I believe to get a decent return on investment.

I think F1 can produce a pretty good return (especially compared to national motorsports like NASCAR), it's just so few need the global exposure to warrant the cost.

Edited by Nathan, 17 December 2015 - 00:52.

#44 Peter0Scandlyn

Peter0Scandlyn

• 727 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 04:05

Of course it can - make a pretty good return!

Why do you think CVC are clinging so desperately to His Masters Voice  :confused:

#45 SKL

SKL

• 1,416 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 16:27

As for the 60 Minutes segment-  I'v never watch it  (especially after their hatchet job on Audi WAY back when) but did catch Lewis' segment.  Thought it was the typical fluff piece, and I knew they'd get the race card in there.   Doubt it will get any new F1 watchers...

#46 loki

loki

• 12,315 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 21:16

You know, if soccer can make inroads in America, F1 certainly can too.

Have Hope Solo or Abby Wambaugh start driving  you might be on to something...    :cat:  :wave:  :stoned:  :rotfl: