Photo

What badge is this?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 pmurray

pmurray

• 41 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 04:52

We are trying to identify the badge (arrowed) on the bonnet of a Lotus Elite which was competing at Prescott Hillclimb on 11th September 1960.

KNH7_3_A.jpg

The BRDC have advised that the badge is not one of theirs and the badge bears no resemblance to the Bugatti Owners Club badge.

Careful examination of the photo shows the badge appears to be fixed to the bonnet by a “badge bar” type mount at the base of the badge; that it seems to be circular and has wing like or knock on ear like protrusions at either side.  The circular part of the badge appears to be of similar diameter to the Lotus badge closer to the nose of the car.  Lotus badges are 2 ¼” (57mm) diameter.

A Google search of UK car club badges turned up an image of a Leicestershire Car Club badge which has the shape described above.

LCC_image.jpg

Can anyone help?

Advertisement

#2 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,052 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 07:53

How about the Bentley Drivers Club?

B231D.jpg

#3 pmurray

pmurray

• 41 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 08:44

Thanks Alan,

If you click on that first photo to open it up in a new enlarged image (at least on a big screen) you might agree with my assessment that the protrusions appear to come out from the circular base section at right angles to the vertical centreline of the badge like the ones on the Leicestershire badge.  If I am right then it is not a Bentley DC badge.

Peter

#4 RStock

RStock

• 2,276 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 16:24

Could it be a BRDC badge?

zw1a.jpg

#5 pmurray

pmurray

• 41 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 18:45

Thanks for that suggestion but as I mentioned in my initial post BRDC have said it does not resemble one of their badge variants from that era and the centre section is, to my eyes, clearly round, not shield shape.

#6 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,573 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 21:29

Presumably being Prescott you've checked on Bugatti Owners Club?

In later years you could find plenty of people as members who don't know what a Bugatti looks like - membership just to get an entry there.

#7 pmurray

pmurray

• 41 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 22:07

I think a friend in the UK asked BOC some time ago but I can't quickly find an email from him to that effect.  A Google search of images of the BOC badge doesn't throw up an outline like the one on the Elite.  Most BOC badge variants seem to use the shape of the Bugatti radiator.

Peter

Oops!  My friend has just emailed me to say he hadn't asked BOC so I have now emailed the BOC archivist to seek his opinion.  Many thanks for your prompt.  I'll add his opinion when it arrives.

Edited by pmurray, 20 December 2015 - 00:17.

#8 pmurray

pmurray

• 41 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 04:19

Since that last post (20 December) the BOC archivist has replied that it is "definitely not the Bugatti Owners' Club badge and that design has not changed since its inception".

He later suggested that if the side protrusions were wings maybe it was an aero club badge - Hmmm.  More Google searching ahead.

#9 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 10:22

A picture of the whole car might help, a registration number or competition number is more likely to jog someone's memory as to whom the car belonged, which might lead you to the answer to your question.

#10 pmurray

pmurray

• 41 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 22:25

Thanks for your suggestion.  I originally sought information about the car and ownership on the TNF posting below

http://forums.autosp...ly-lotus-elite/

but when I ran into a dead-end I thought maybe the badge might be a different line of attack and produce some new leads.

I think it is likely the car was purchased late 1959 by W.S (Bill) Perkins however a separate TNF posting seeking information on this man by Bakeryman has yielded no results.

http://forums.autosp...ns#entry7377835