Photo

Spa 1948 Number Boards

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cabianca

cabianca

• 712 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 14:48

At the Spa 24 hours in 1948, some cars (Ferrari, Gordini, Veritas) carried strange number boards on their rear decks held up in some cases by wires. Other cars (Delage, HRG) did not have these. Is anyone familiar enough with the regulations to know what this was all about. Also, I'm interested in the background color of the boards. It appears that both the number circles on the cars and the boards were black with white numbers, but have no color picture references.

Advertisement

#2 d j fox

d j fox

• 303 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 15:43

I’ve read through the Motor Sport report of the Spa race and unfortunately there is no mention of this style of numbering.

Of interest the HRG team used a Pye radio system-pit to car as well as recognition lights.

39 cars raced in 7 different classes-Unlimited, 4 litre, 3, 2, 1.5, 1.1 and Touring….oh yes and it rained as well!  

#3 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,506 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 19:40

Is it possible that the regulations required white numbers on a black background of a prescribed size and on a vertical surface? Possible with some cars' bodywork but not others'

That's only a guess.

#4 wolf sun

wolf sun

• 842 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 10:29

Is it possible that the regulations required white numbers on a black background of a prescribed size and on a vertical surface? Possible with some cars' bodywork but not others'

That's only a guess.

Photographic evidence does not support this, Roger.

For the 1949 edition of the 24 heures, the same system was used, by the way - in '53 it was gone.

#5 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,506 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 18:28

Thanks Wolfgang.  It seemed possible with the limited number of photos I have seen.

#6 Oneandhalf

Oneandhalf

• 40 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 06:57

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing