Photo

Remembering the 1984 Dallas Grand Prix (F1) around Fair Park

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 63Corvette

63Corvette

• 358 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 16:19

I would like to hear from any members who actually attended the 1984 Dallas Grand Prix, won by KEKE Rosberg (after Nigel Mansel passed out from heat while trying to push his Lotus to the finish line). It would be interesting to discuss rememberences with those who attended, and perhaps to even trade pictures with those who still have them. Please lets hear from you :clap:

Advertisement

#2 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 16:54

There are some personal reminiscences in these earlier threads, although as usual the photos are no longer available:

1984 Dallas Grand Prix

Dallas 1984 - was Mansell pushing his car illegal?

#3 63Corvette

63Corvette

• 358 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 18:24

There are some personal reminiscences in these earlier threads, although as usual the photos are no longer available:

1984 Dallas Grand Prix

Dallas 1984 - was Mansell pushing his car illegal?

Thank you Tim :) Great comments, but hopefully some will read this and post some new comments and observations.

Edited by 63Corvette, 01 January 2016 - 18:50.

#4 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,452 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 18:34

I often wonder if our hosts here could align with a photo host we all use.

It's a shame our photos disappear. I don't take the time to post photos anymore when that time ends in naught.

#5 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,949 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 19:32

One of my favourite GPs.  Piercarlo Ghinzani's only top 5 finish.  Heroic drive.  Lots of immortals tripping up. 

#6 63Corvette

63Corvette

• 358 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 21:50

I often wonder if our hosts here could align with a photo host we all use.

It's a shame our photos disappear. I don't take the time to post photos anymore when that time ends in naught.

E1 I use "Tinypic" for hosting, and they seem to hold up.

I might ask if any viewers of the Dallas GP happened to see any of the support races, of which there were several, including a "CanAm", a Vintage race and a Historic race. 
The "CanAm was a thrown together attempt to get a series going and used mostly the later, revived CanAm of rebodied Formula 5000 cars (Lola T333 etc). The Vintage race had lotsa Ferraris, and the Historic included what we now run in Group 6 (Cobra, Corvette, E-Type, GT-350) but also some real race cars, like Lola T-70 and Chevron. As mentioned in the thread above, the track consisted of ONLY two lines where the GP cars (wide) tires had cleared the marbles. If you got a millimeter off line, you crashed. Anybody watch these races?

#7 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,180 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 22:57

I would like to hear from any members who actually attended the 1984 Dallas Grand Prix, won by KEKE Rosberg (after Nigel Mansel passed out from heat while trying to push his Lotus to the finish line). It would be interesting to discuss rememberences with those who attended, and perhaps to even trade pictures with those who still have them. Please lets hear from you :clap:

One observation: Rosberg won before Mansell collapsed, not after.

#8 63Corvette

63Corvette

• 358 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 23:12

One observation: Rosberg won before Mansell collapsed, not after.

Michael you are a hair splitter, BUT you are probably correct. However, I thought he timeline went something like this: 

Nigel's car quit,

Nigel gets out of car and looks around

Nigel decides to push car to finish line (about 200 yards away)

Keke crosses finish line and WINS the Dallas GP  ;)

Nigel pushes his lotus until he passes out from heat exhaustion

#9 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 6,774 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 23:57

Nigel pushes his lotus until he passes out from heat exhaustion

Are you sure it was heat exhaustion? I thought Nigel simply passed out from being Nigel.

#10 63Corvette

63Corvette

• 358 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 01:31

Are you sure it was heat exhaustion? I thought Nigel simply passed out from being Nigel.

OK....Story: Everyone beats up on Nigel (except Brits)

My wife and I worked the Dallas GP. My wife (Pat) worked the "Qualifier" tires, to ensure that only the assigned driver used his own tires (or your teammate could NOT use your tires).

So, she and a friend were taking pics of the drivers in the paddock, and noticed Nigel laying down on the pit wall. Pat tried to sorta sneak up while her friend took a picture. Suddenly Nigel sat up and said: "Well if you want a picture, why don't you come on right over here." So she went over and Nigel stood right next to her and posed for her picture. Then I sent that picture to Nigel and he autographed it to her in 92 when he won the driver's championship. :clap: He is not only a great driver (Passing Piquet at the British GP at Silverstone) but a pretty cool guy too.

#11 backfire

backfire

• 118 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 13:47

It was certainly hot, I can remember the tarmac burning my feet through the soles of my shoes. Other memories include Linda Gray presenting the trophy to a totally cool looking Rosberg complete with cigarette (Keke that is), Nelson Piquet's chrome effect helmet `(to reflect heat). The fastest race lap of the weekend was set by Michael Roe's CanAm Lola, before the track deteriorated for the GP. During practice while trying to walk around the back of the Giant trackside cowboy to get back trackside, I got involved with a "discussion" with an over excited American marshall which ended with me getting a lift back to the press room in a police car, fortunately the cop was a lot more relaxed than the marshall. 

#12 BRG

BRG

• 25,941 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 17:17

OK....Story: Everyone beats up on Nigel (except Brits)

I think you will find that most Brits tend to be a bit cynical about Our Nige's histrionics outside his car.

But few have any doubts at all about his performances IN his car.

#13 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 18:14

I was staying at a friends house at Xmas and they had a copy there of his autobiog

Never read such a self praising, utterly awful pile of goo in my life

H even managed to try and tell us the Le Mans crash was not his fault!

I really do wish the man had never won a world title, there are so many more far deserving winners!

#14 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,949 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 20:23

Ever read Alan Jones'?

#15 63Corvette

63Corvette

• 358 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 20:55

I was staying at a friends house at Xmas and they had a copy there of his autobiog

Never read such a self praising, utterly awful pile of goo in my life

H even managed to try and tell us the Le Mans crash was not his fault!

I really do wish the man had never won a world title, there are so many more far deserving winners!

Well......................he did NOT punch Piquet out for saying in public that his lovely wife was ugly!  I WOULD have :mad:

#16 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 22:34

Nelson was doing that simply to get under his skin, an age old tactic.

But in fairness to Nelson, a man who could pull juts about any woman at the time, it was relatively peculiar to see a racing driver of that level still staying with his wife, so it was an easy, if rather callous target.

#17 bigears

bigears

• 973 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 23:42

I seem to recall a 1970s Ferrari crashing into the barriers on the dusty track. What happened?

#18 RStock

RStock

• 2,276 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 04:36

Nelson was doing that simply to get under his skin, an age old tactic.

But in fairness to Nelson, a man who could pull juts about any woman at the time, it was relatively peculiar to see a racing driver of that level still staying with his wife, so it was an easy, if rather callous target.

He also said some nasty things about Senna. Piquet is a true POS.

#19 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 12:01

I can understand him saying nasty things about Senna, here was guy coming in to steal his thunder! Form the same country

I am not a huge PPiquet fan, but you have to admit he did win a lot of races and championships and that deserves an element of respect.

He did though come from a school where intimidation, nastiness and spite were a priority.

But, stupidly he could also drive!

Advertisement

#20 Collombin

Collombin

• 8,644 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 12:57

I seem to recall a 1970s Ferrari crashing into the barriers on the dusty track. What happened?

He just lost control I think. Murray simply said that it proved dramatic.

#21 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 14:04

He also said some nasty things about Senna.

Senna sued Piquet over this. However, when Piquet's lawyers presented their evidence to Senna's lawyers, the lawsuit was quickly dropped and Piquet's legal fees were covered.

#22 RStock

RStock

• 2,276 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 18:40

I can understand him saying nasty things about Senna, here was guy coming in to steal his thunder! Form the same country

I am not a huge PPiquet fan, but you have to admit he did win a lot of races and championships and that deserves an element of respect.

He did though come from a school where intimidation, nastiness and spite were a priority.

But, stupidly he could also drive!

No doubt Piquet was a great driver, but he was also a gigantic ass.

Senna sued Piquet over this. However, when Piquet's lawyers presented their evidence to Senna's lawyers, the lawsuit was quickly dropped and Piquet's legal fees were covered.

Yes, and I've seen other things that showed what he said could be true. He is also right that Nige's wife is unattractive. I've always agreed with Frank Williams assertion that "F1 drivers are ruthless bastards because they have to be", but I view what Piquet did as low class, I don't have to like it or agree with it.

#23 63Corvette

63Corvette

• 358 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 19:32

Um...........Which Ferrari? In 1984 there were still LOTS of Ferrari's racing in Vintage races. (I'm the young guy in the blue & white cap, and Sterling is in the blue Dunlop driver's suit)

2nap303.jpg

#24 Collombin

Collombin

• 8,644 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 22:10

Um...........Which Ferrari?

It was a 312T of Regazzoni's IIRC.

#25 63Corvette

63Corvette

• 358 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 22:45

It was a 312T of Regazzoni's IIRC.

It was not at the Dallas GP. The Ferrari Team was Alboreto and Rene Arnoux. Regga is not listed as an entrant.

#26 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,452 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 23:00

Reggazoni was in a wheelchair for four years by 1984. The 312T was a 1975 car.

#27 63Corvette

63Corvette

• 358 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 02:35

Reggazoni was in a wheelchair for four years by 1984. The 312T was a 1975 car.

Embarassingly accurate catch E1. I was at the Long Beach USGP where Regga was injured, so I shoulda remembered that! Where and what is Regga doing today?

#28 RStock

RStock

• 2,276 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 02:41

Clay was killed in an auto accident in 2006.

#29 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,452 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 02:55

Embarassingly accurate catch E1. I was at the Long Beach USGP where Regga was injured, so I shoulda remembered that! Where and what is Regga doing today?

No problem, it happens. :-)

#30 Dennis Hockenbury

Dennis Hockenbury

• 669 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 03:45

I might ask if any viewers of the Dallas GP happened to see any of the support races, of which there were several, including a "CanAm", a Vintage race and a Historic race. 
The "CanAm was a thrown together attempt to get a series going and used mostly the later, revived CanAm of rebodied Formula 5000 cars (Lola T333 etc). The Vintage race had lotsa Ferraris, and the Historic included what we now run in Group 6 (Cobra, Corvette, E-Type, GT-350) but also some real race cars, like Lola T-70 and Chevron. As mentioned in the thread above, the track consisted of ONLY two lines where the GP cars (wide) tires had cleared the marbles. If you got a millimeter off line, you crashed. Anybody watch these races?

I watched the support races as well. I really was not a fan of that era of CanAm cars, but a reasonably good race with Roe, Crawford, and Fangio II. What I recall the most about the CanAm race was the track surface coming apart due to the track temperature and the traction of those cars. Remarkable that so many actually finished the race. There was a lot of very nice machinery in the Vintage race but it was more of a procession than a race.

#31 Collombin

Collombin

• 8,644 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 06:57

It was not at the Dallas GP. The Ferrari Team was Alboreto and Rene Arnoux. Regga is not listed as an entrant.

It was at the Dallas GP. It was a demonstration run, not a race. The car was an old Regga one, I did not mean Regga was driving. I can't actually remember who was - Lauda possibly?

#32 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 14:24

Sterling is in the blue Dunlop driver's suit)

Sterling  (sic) ??

#33 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 2,812 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 17:04

Sterling  (sic) ??

Driving a McClaren....right??????  ;)

#34 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,208 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 17:26

I was there with a band called Missing Persons.

We rented an RV and parked it inside Fair Park.

Dale Bozzio, the singer, was dressed in a silver fishbowl-jumpsuit and got heat stroke walking a short distance to a hot dog stand.

Jp

#35 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,949 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 17:56

I love Missing Persons.

They were probably the closest the US ever got to having an Altered Images, new wave post-punk with a distinctively individual lead singer.  Obvs Clare was hotter than Dale, but then again she's hotter than the Devil's chili.

#36 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,208 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 20:00

As does darling Lady Gaga. Word has it that Dale was her #1 influence growing up.

Remind me to tell you the Ken Scott Jacuzzi story someday.

Jp

#37 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,949 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 20:06

orig-11076741.jpg

orig-11076761.jpg

#38 63Corvette

63Corvette

• 358 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 00:37

Sterling  (sic) ??

Cummon.............................StErling is Texan for StIrling  ;)