Photo

Dave Mawer's Shed

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 13,011 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 06:20

Called in to Dave's to-day, just for a chat. Except for a 'new' Colchester lathe, not much has changed. And I know I'm getting old now, because I didn't get the usual greeting - "There's young Greg".  ;)

Among other things, we talked about Phil Irving...guess who's up for the 'Phil Irving Award'. :clap:

Advertisement

#2 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,415 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 06:36

As long as he didn't say "There's old Greg," middle age ain't so bad. ;-)

#3 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,956 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 09:36

'New' for a machine at Big Dave's would almost mean it was made since the war...

Here's little more about the man:

http://forums.autosp...e/#entry1372038

#4 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 13,011 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 20:50

I was hoping to keep this thread about Dave Mawer's shed, and his award, not about you, Ray.

#5 eldougo

eldougo

• 9,329 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 21:59

Sorry Greg my memories are about the workshop in No10 Ford St Greeacre.   :wave: Never been to the shed Yet.

#6 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,956 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 22:07

I hardly see that that's about me, Greg...

In fact, I'm sure that if you read through my posts on the linked thread you'll pretty much see a bit of why Dave's up for the award.

His shed, of course, is very large. It sits on the skyline on one of the ridges of the hills that make up Orangeville, Dave bought the shed unassembled from someone who'd gone broke IIRC. Like a giant Merccano set, steel beams and posts, huge steel sheets to cover it, he made up a crane on an old Albion and put it together himself, I'm sure he had help from Harry, his father. The shed is tall enough to be a 2-storey building plus a bit, maybe 30' high, while it's about 80' x 40' in floor area.

He obviously kept on working during the construction project and then he and Di lived in the shed while he built his house a couple of hundred yards to the south.

The area at Orangeville is all small 'hobby farm' blocks with a tendency to attract people escaping from the rat race of Sydney but who want to live in an area they see as up-market. Therefore, Dave's shed there on the skyline might have been difficult to get approval for from the Wollondilly Shire Council, but Dave duly submitted his plans some time late in 1974 or early 1975... just after our conversion to metric dimensions.

Dave, of course, being something of an Anglophile, put the plans in just as they'd come from the manufacturer - with all dimensions in feet and inches. The Council rejected these as they weren't metric. Dave duly converted all the dimensions to metric, which was no small task, and re-presented the plans.

The measurements he chose to use were decameters...

I'm sure you remember them, Greg, the last time you saw them was probably on the back side of your wooden school ruler. And I'm sure you'll agree that they pretty much haven't been seen or heard of since.

Dave's often said that he's sure they passed the plans because they didn't know what a decameter is and therefore they didn't know how big the shed was.

Just for now I'll not mention the scarring of the shed...

#7 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 13,011 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 22:23

What have I done to deserve this ! :confused:

#8 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 13,011 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 22:26

Sorry Greg my memories are about the workshop in No10 Ford St Greeacre.   :wave: Never been to the shed Yet.

You should make the effort, eldougo ...it will be worth it.

#9 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,956 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 22:44

Originally posted by GMACKIE
What have I done to deserve this?

It seems you don't deserve it, Greg...

But I'm trying my best to post according to the title of the thread, the information you've given and to elevate the tone of the thread.

eldougo would understand, I'm sure. So would Paul Hamilton.

Just in case you missed the points in the linked thread relating to Dave's abilities:

Originally posted in another thread
Big Dave: "Business is always good. That's why I kiss Di goodnight after dinner and come back down to the shed and work the nightshift.".....

.....Big Dave, the gifted engineer, of whom Elwyn Bickley has told me, "Dave can make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. I can make the silk purse, but I have to start with silk..."

Having seen cars ranging from a 1904 De Dion Bouton to a P207 BRM in his shed, it's clear that he's the right man to go to if you need bits fixed or made for anything.

#10 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 6,766 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 10:38

Sorry Greg my memories are about the workshop in No10 Ford St Greenacre.   :wave: Never been to the shed Yet.

I used to go there occasionally, but that's a Wally Storey.

Edited by Catalina Park, 08 January 2016 - 00:26.

#11 eldougo

eldougo

• 9,329 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 06:26

Now that a man i have not seen for many a year WALLY STOREY,is he still doing the V8 racing CRAP :wave: .

#12 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,026 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 19:27

Called in to Dave's to-day, just for a chat. Except for a 'new' Colchester lathe, not much has changed. And I know I'm getting old now, because I didn't get the usual greeting - "There's young Greg".  ;)

Among other things, we talked about Phil Irving...guess who's up for the 'Phil Irving Award'. :clap:

Even I have heard of Phil Irving! From where I'm sitting he seems to be an Australian version of Harry Weslake; both brilliant engineers who worked from first-principles and were at the top of their game in bikes, then cars (plus a load of other stuff too). Best wishes for Dave's shot at the award.

Now Greg... about my shed.....  ;)

#13 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 13,011 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 20:10

Dave's got the Phil Irving Award 'in the bag'.

Now Pete...about your shed... :cool:

#14 Dale Harvey

Dale Harvey

• 417 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 06:46

Some photos of his shed and projects would be good.

Dale.

#15 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,956 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 10:46

You can find it on Google Earth...

But 'street view' doesn't show much because of all the greenery in the way.

#16 Dale Harvey

Dale Harvey

• 417 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 20:15

I mean the inside and the work in progress.

Dale.

#17 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 13,011 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 20:29

I knew what you meant. Dale...next time I will take the camera with me. :rolleyes:

#18 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,956 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 22:01

I have a couple of photos I've taken somewhere...

When I get home I'll have a bit of a look for them.

#19 Dale Harvey

Dale Harvey

• 417 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 03:25

I knew what you meant. Dale...next time I will take the camera with me. :rolleyes:

:up: :up:

Advertisement

#20 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,956 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 23:21

Here's Dave working at the 'new' Harrison...

0112fr0905_Dave_Mawer.jpg

0112fr0905_Dave_Mawer2.jpg

...mind you, the pics are from about ten years ago.

The 'old' Harrison is in the background and the Rossi-Vo mill can partially be seen to the left. The 'Grinder section' of the workshop is in the background too.

Dave bought the 'new' Harrison so augment the 'old' partially because it has a 127-tooth gear within its workings which would enable him to screwcut metric threads, even though he's simply not a fan of metric.

It's not unusual to see some pretty fancy gear at Dave's for finishing-off or repair, this was from the same era:

0112fr0905_BRMetc.jpg

Not in the picture, but off to the left is the Welding bay with various gas bottles and electric welding equipment, the bench with legs from Peugeot torque tubes (leftovers from the materials sourced for Bob Stevens' building of the doomed Commodore, they formed the cases for the airjacks) while to the right the steel racks can be seen in the corner, there's a mezzanine floor above the office for more storage, the new big lathe is now installed just to the right of the BRM alongside the old 'big lathe' and the power hacksaw.

All around, of course, are shelves and cupboards for the multitudes of bits and pieces, potions and tooling to be sourced as needed for any job in the works.

Edited by Ray Bell, 10 January 2016 - 23:24.

#21 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 1,145 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 05:53

Ray have you any photo's of Bob Brittons work shop, maybe a separate site for Australian Workshops.

#22 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,956 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 07:28

Check your PMs, Daniel...

I wrote to you a couple of weeks ago.

#23 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 1,145 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 07:58

What you asked of me a couple of weeks ago has NOTHING TO DO WITH MY LAST POST, so I will ask again, Ray have you any photo's of Bob Brittons work shop, maybe a separate site for Australian Workshops.

#24 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,956 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 06:44

Yes, Daniel, I'm sure I do have some pics of Britto's workshop...

I might even dig up something of the Bowin workshop back in the seventies, James Lambert, I'm sure, will weigh in with stuff from Elfin's.

I'll start a thread.

#25 brakedisc

brakedisc

• 225 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 16:35

A look at Elwn Bickleys workshop would be cool too.

#26 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 13,011 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 07:05

We've had a bit of "stuff" happening here for some reason. While reading an editorial to-day, I decided [rightly or wrongly :) ] to post this :-

http://www.southernh...itorial/?cs=262

#27 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,415 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 07:15

Sad truth, Greg.

"Anti-social media" is gaining traction... while courtesy's on an inclined skid pad. I bailed off another forum just one week ago from exactly that; once the fun's gone, it's over for me.

#28 baz

baz

• 55 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 10:15

Another place this sort of behaviour is rife is channel 40 on uhf ( the truckies channel ).Mainly in the cities, hiding behind the mike gives courage to some very strange people.

#29 timbo

timbo

• 535 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 06:37

Yes, Daniel, I'm sure I do have some pics of Britto's workshop...

I might even dig up something of the Bowin workshop back in the seventies, James Lambert, I'm sure, will weigh in with stuff from Elfin's.

I'll start a thread.

Before posting photo's of peoples sheds/workshops, it might pay to ask permission of the owner to post the photo's. 

I wouldn't post photo's of my shed's contents just in case someone starts to take a liking to something I have (doubtful, given the crap inside the shed), and pays me a visit when I'm not home.

#30 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,036 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 09:13

Sad truth, Greg.

"Anti-social media" is gaining traction... while courtesy's on an inclined skid pad. I bailed off another forum just one week ago from exactly that; once the fun's gone, it's over for me.

I actively ignore Bookface and Twatter. In my opinion a place for people without lives, or brains. Just read the media daily for the antisocial stuff that happens on those sites. Far too many people it is their lives.

This forum is as close I would ever get.

#31 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,956 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 20:53

I'm told Dave's acceptance speech at the CAMS' do on Saturday was well said...

He told of how he enjoyed the challenge of helping people repair or develop their cars, solving the engineering challenges and so on.

1216davemawershed1.jpg

Edited by Ray Bell, 12 January 2017 - 22:06.