- - - - -

RIP Tyler Alexander

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MarkWRX

MarkWRX

• 844 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 16:23

Tyler Alexander, one of the founding members of McLaren, had died, aged 75.  From reading his book Tyler Alexander: A Life and Times with McLaren, he truly was an integral part of the team, doing everything from sweeping the floors to developing the first semi-automatic gearbox for McLaren and the software to make it run.  From running the "Battlestations" (McLaren's mobile datacenter in the pits) to machining an emergency replacement part, he was capable of doing it all. 

It's clear, in his book, that he thought he should have been doing more, but was gracious in accepting the roles he had in McLaren.

I had the opportunity to meet him once, at the Indianapolis Airport.  My daughter had a Mac n Lauren book and was getting some autographs from the team at the check in counter at American Airlines.  The team was wonderful, signing the book at the positions they worked in the pitstops.  Then one of the men called over to a man standing in the First Class check in line and Mr. Alexander came over, greeted my daughter and myself and signed her book too.  On a whim, I asked him to sign my notebook too.

He was a talented photographer and good writer in addition to be a true racer.

Advertisement

#2 Owen

Owen

• 13,178 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 16:38

Ron called him one of the 'pillars' at McLaren. The tributes from colleagues, drivers and the press have been plentiful and full of praise for the man. Rest in peace.

#3 Lemans

Lemans

• 2,739 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 16:47

Really sad to hear this. He was a big part of and influence within McLaren. I hope the team does him justice this year.

546b30060bd10_-_69_sa_10-wst3mo-lg.jpg

#4 August

August

• 3,277 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 20:22

He sounds like a great person. RIP.

#5 bogi

bogi

• 4,105 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 20:53

RIP Tyler