* * - - - 3 votes

French Grand Prix set to return in 2018

• Please log in to reply
583 replies to this topic

#1 Keisalex

Keisalex

• 16 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 11:32

Ok, so i don't know if this has been stated again in another topic-most probably it has- but seeing the thread with the supposedly possible return of the Dutch GP, it reminded me of the French GP.

France has a very, very long tradition in the history of motorsports, be it F1, endurance racing, motorbikes, etc.. In the very first year of F1, there was a French GP in the calendar, and it was a Championship round as well. FIA is French-based, we now have the return of a Legendary team in the sport, we have a French racing driver..

I seriously thing that France deserves a F1 comeback just as much as Germany. Both countries stack up there at the top of "F1 heritage", as many like to say.

Is it possible, in the forseeable future, to host a F1 race in France again? Be it in Magny-Cours, or Le Mans (most likely the Buggati track), or even Paul Ricard?

Can it be done?  :|

Advertisement

#2 BRG

BRG

• 25,949 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 12:10

Can it be done?  :|

Easily.  They just need to cross the old man's palm with (a lot of) silver.  $50m should do it.

#3 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,783 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 12:15

It's a travesty that there is no French Grand Prix. But F1 these days is known for pushing the boundaries of taste where it used to push the boundaries of performance, so you know.

#4 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 3,921 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 12:17

I feel it will take Bernie to lose interest, or (more likely) expire, and for CVC to disappear for the sport to begin taking seriously again how to restore activities in its core markets.

#5 Anja

Anja

• 10,353 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 12:18

This topic comes up time after time, yet even when substantial rumours are making rounds, nothing comes to fruition. Project like this needs a proper government and/or corporate backing, not some half-assed attempt. With F1 in its current state I doubt such bid will happen in foreseeable future, there's simply little to no gain from French GP for anyone aside from the fans.

As for the circuits, each option has its pros and cons. People will be complaining no matter where the race would happen.

#6 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,644 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 12:32

I wonder if Renault had anything to say about this when they were in negotiation with Bernie about the FOM-fees and the historical bonus.

#7 ElJefe

ElJefe

• 472 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 12:57

Who cares, at least we have the European Grand Prix in Azerbaijan on the calendar with a hugely exciting circuit full with 90-degree corners and endless tarmac runoffs. Oh wait, shame I can't see this great show because all F1 live broadcasts are now behind a paywall. 

#8 Exb

Exb

• 3,961 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 13:50

I read an article only yesterday about someone (who I think was something to do with the french government) talking about a possible French GP return (I assume it was connected to the FormulaE announcement) I will have to wrack my brains to where it was :(

(Edit - not that it was returning, just that it was something they were thinking about maybe looking at - I only skimmed over the article so I could be talking BS)

Edited by Exb, 14 January 2016 - 13:51.

#9 Ruusperi

Ruusperi

• 2,920 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 13:51

I believe French GP will return as soon as Bernie is gone and the mentality of "who-pays-the-most" is changed to "what-is-the-best-for-f1".

Kimi has often praised Magny-Cours. And I agree. The track has a nice flow and relaxing rural scenery. It produced dreadfully dull races in the past, but so did Hungaroring. At least it is dissimilar to all the tilkedromes and it's not a street circuit. If Bernie decided it, he'd have GP in Paris. No thanks, I rather see F1 using old school racing tracks.

#10 RustyIesty

RustyIesty

• 23 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 13:57

Is it needed though? North France? Spa. South France? Monaco. Barcelona, Monza, Nurburgring, Hockenheim aren't miles away either.

#11 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,220 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 14:07

I wonder if Renault had anything to say about this when they were in negotiation with Bernie about the FOM-fees and the historical bonus.

Why, would a French GP help them sell any more cars?

#12 Anja

Anja

• 10,353 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 14:32

Is it needed though? North France? Spa. South France? Monaco. Barcelona, Monza, Nurburgring, Hockenheim aren't miles away either.

Following that logic we don't "need" most of the European races. Who cares about German GP, German fans can go to either Belgium or Austria.

It's all about the heritage. France, alongside Germany, Italy, and the UK is the absolute core of European motorsport history.

Edited by Anja, 14 January 2016 - 14:36.

#13 RustyIesty

RustyIesty

• 23 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 14:57

Following that logic we don't "need" most of the European races. Who cares about German GP, German fans can go to either Belgium or Austria.

It's all about the heritage. France, alongside Germany, Italy, and the UK is the absolute core of European Motorsport history.

I guess that's the attitude Bernie took last year, over a few million quid less vs. the German race and Mercedes' best efforts to save it. He's probably still annoyed about losing out on the Nurburgring as well - that could have been a free backup European GP at his beck and call, over test track Paul Ricard (which is where I'd put the French GP, coincidentally  ;)).

Of course, most of the industry and races have been in the 'big four' countries - 100 years ago, it was Renault, Mercedes-Benz and FIAT, just as it is now (but Peugeot instead of Honda)!

The issue is growth (and the lack of it in Europe) - the priority of the world championship should be securing it in the USA and BRICS, perhaps with a second successful race at Indianapolis or return to India, over another race in the saturated European market. There are also better outlets for traditional 'heritage' growth as well - going back to Buenos Aires, Kyalami etc. once those countries are on the up.

The only way I can see a consolidation in Europe is if the low oil price severely cuts back those races in question, like Russia and Azerbaijan. But Germany and USA are on shaky ground as well; losing those four gives us 17 races again, and a scramble for a cheap race at Indianapolis and Nurburgring or Magny Cours, if no other countries are forthcoming.

Edited by RustyIesty, 14 January 2016 - 15:05.

#14 lustigson

lustigson

• 5,911 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 15:32

The issue is growth (and the lack of it in Europe) - the priority of the world championship should be securing it in the USA and BRICS

Have you seen the economic states of B, R, C, and S?

#15 RustyIesty

RustyIesty

• 23 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 15:42

Have you seen the economic states of B, R, C, and S?

Indeed, which is why I only mentioned I, and said S needs to wait until it sorts itself out  :p, while R just needs to tread water.

#16 bill p

bill p

• 697 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 16:04

Easily.  They just need to cross the old man's palm with (a lot of) silver.  $50m should do it.

Bernie used to own the Paul Ricard track, what is the ownership position nowadays??

#17 RustyIesty

RustyIesty

• 23 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 17:03

Bernie used to own the Paul Ricard track, what is the ownership position nowadays??

I don't think that has changed.. he could've owned both Paul Ricard and Nurburgring!

#18 Dan333SP

Dan333SP

• 4,704 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 17:30

As long as F1 stays as far away from Le Mans as possible, I'll be happy. The ACO is doing a good enough job of butchering the trackside scenery and paving the runoffs, we don't need the FIA meddling in it as well, even if it's just the Bugatti circuit.

Before anyone goes there, yes, I know Bugatti was essentially built to host F1 in '67, and it's a terrible track for race cars.

#19 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,288 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 13:23

Paul Ricard says France GP Revival is 'possible'

http://www.f1today.n...val-is-possible

Advertisement

#20 Viryfan

Viryfan

• 4,043 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 13:27

No way, they need french govt money.

Also they can only host 50 000 people per day....

#21 SonnyViceR

SonnyViceR

• 1,993 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 13:49

As long as F1 stays as far away from Le Mans as possible, I'll be happy. The ACO is doing a good enough job of butchering the trackside scenery and paving the runoffs, we don't need the FIA meddling in it as well, even if it's just the Bugatti circuit.

Before anyone goes there, yes, I know Bugatti was essentially built to host F1 in '67, and it's a terrible track for race cars.

This makes no sense considering the FIA is already heavily involved in the sanitation of Circuit de la Sarthe.

Bugatti, who cares right, but some of the F1 style modifications made to the big circuit in the last couple of years have bad as the two chicanes.

#22 JeePee

JeePee

• 5,909 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 14:08

That's more than double what Baku can host   ;)

#23 bill p

bill p

• 697 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 13:51

Bernie used to own Circuit Paul Ricard - who owns it now??

#24 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 14:36

Bernie used to own Circuit Paul Ricard - who owns it now??

He still owns it.

Eh, sounds like they'd only be interested if Magny Cours was to co-host with them. That kind of deal hasn't worked out very well in Germany.

#25 Volcano70

Volcano70

• 871 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 22:33

Spain and Japan had that idea but fell apart fast.

#26 Exb

Exb

• 3,961 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 22:52

I finally came across the story which mentioned possible government funding for a French GP:
https://joesaward.wo...idors-of-power/

Patrick Kanner also said that the French government remained keen on trying to find a way to revive the French GP, at either Magny-Cours or Paul Ricard and was willing to help out with some funding, along with other regional, departmental and municipal authorities. He did admit, however, that putting together a package to meet the requirements of the Formula One group was not easy.

Edited by Exb, 28 January 2016 - 22:52.

#27 043Max

043Max

• 390 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 17:34

Both tracks they name sucks kinda big..... can't they use the Le Mans track? The MotoGP setting of the track plus some extra's?

#28 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,288 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 18:32

Both tracks they name sucks kinda big..... can't they use the Le Mans track? The MotoGP setting of the track plus some extra's?

They should leave Le Mans alone

Edited by Marklar, 29 January 2016 - 18:34.

#29 DampMongoose

DampMongoose

• 2,258 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 22:31

They should leave Le Mans alone

Quick head back to '72 or '89 and tell them!!!!

#30 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,288 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 18:22

Andrew Benson‏ @andrewbensonf1
For those who don't speak French, a plan for the return of the French GP (at Le Castellet) will he presented in Paris on Monday

#31 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 18:30

I'd like to see them give the cars a go around Bugatti Circuitt, I love the layout of that track.

#32 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 18:40

I'd like to see them give the cars a go around Bugatti Circuitt, I love the layout of that track.

You'd hate it. It's far too tight for cars.

F1 should go to Paul Ricard and use the long layout.

#33 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,288 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 18:42

Sounds pretty much confirmed?

Luke Smith‏ @LukeSmithF1
"To be clear, forget the conditional. The French GP will be back in 2018 at the Castelet [Paul Ricard] for 5 years.”

Antoine Arlot‏ @antoinearlot
Pour être clair, oubliez le conditionnel. Le GP de France SERA de retour en 2018 au Castelet pour 5 ans. #supernouvelle #10ansapres

Edited by Marklar, 01 December 2016 - 18:42.

#34 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,448 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 18:45

Énorme.

#35 OO7

OO7

• 23,407 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 18:53

I hope they race on the full 5.8km circuit with the 1.8km straight and that T3 to T5/T6 is transformed into a single right-hand bend.

#36 highdownforce

highdownforce

• 4,996 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 18:55

You'd hate it. It's far too tight for cars.

F1 should go to Paul Ricard and use the long layout.

Unfortunately, I don't think they will use Mistral without the chicane.

#37 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 18:57

But they did use the full huge straight at Fuji.

There's hope.

#38 OO7

OO7

• 23,407 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 18:59

But they did use the full huge straight at Fuji.

And Baku is no Hungaroring.

#39 lustigson

lustigson

• 5,911 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 18:59

And the straight at Baku is easily as long... and a street circuit, at that!

Advertisement

#40 Nathan

Nathan

• 7,101 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 19:03

It's all about the heritage. France, alongside Germany

But do the people of these countries care, or is there interest filed away in the heritage section as well?  If government, corporations and enthusiasts collectively can not fund a GP, I suspect it isn't such a big deal in those nations anymore.  These are the 5th and 10th largest economies in the world.  If a GP isn't important to them, why should they be to F1?

Edited by Nathan, 01 December 2016 - 19:04.

#41 OO7

OO7

• 23,407 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 19:47

I was thinking something like the following for T3 to T5/T6, however Paul Ricard isn't a particularly good circuit by any stretch of the imagination:

ricardlap.gif

Edited by OO7, 02 December 2016 - 00:01.

#42 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,553 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 19:56

It's funny how the the rumours on new races always concentrate on rubbish like Las Vegas, but the genuine news pops up out of the blue like this.

#43 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,288 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 20:13

This also reads as if the German GP is probably gone for 2018 as well, as it says that the 'target' is to replace the German GP.

Antoine Arlot @antoinearlot  2h
Le projet de retour du #GPFrance de #F1 sera présenté lundi à Paris par @cestrosi. Objectif remplacer l'Allemagne en 2018.

Fredéric Ferret ‏@FredericFerret  2h
France is back In F1. Late august at Le Castellet

Joe agrees

There are widespread stories in France today about the return of the French Grand Prix in 2018. The suggestion, which is not a big surprise, is that there will be a race at Paul Ricard at the end of August 2018, on the date that is currently used by the Belgian GP. If this is indeed the case, it is likely that Spa would move to the German GP date at the end of July.[/size]
The race will be supported by the PACA region, which is under the presidence of former racer Christian Estrosi, with help from the city of Toulon and the département of the Var.

https://joesaward.wo...nch-gp-returns/

Edited by Marklar, 01 December 2016 - 20:17.

#44 BRG

BRG

• 25,949 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 20:13

Does Bernie still own Ricard?  IF so, did he give himself a big discount on the usual '50% of your GNP' fee?

#45 OO7

OO7

• 23,407 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 20:21

"There are widespread stories in France today about the return of the French Grand Prix in 2018. The suggestion, which is not a big surprise, is that there will be a race at Paul Ricard at the end of August 2018,"

Is this because of Renault's increased involvement in F1 (Now owning a team)?

#46 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,553 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 20:34

This also reads as if the German GP is probably gone for 2018 as well, as it says that the 'target' is to replace the German GP.

Antoine Arlot @antoinearlot  2h
Le projet de retour du #GPFrance de #F1 sera présenté lundi à Paris par @cestrosi. Objectif remplacer l'Allemagne en 2018.

Fredéric Ferret ‏@FredericFerret  2h
France is back In F1. Late august at Le Castellet

Joe agrees

https://joesaward.wo...nch-gp-returns/

The original rotating deal between Hockenheim and the Nurburgring runs out in 2018, so it adds up. I'll be surprised if there's no new deal, but maybe Hockenheim just can't afford Bernie's fees either.

#47 PEW

PEW

• 1,127 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 20:39

If Magny Cours was in the middle of nowhere, Le Castellet is the back of beyond.   

#48 Otaku

Otaku

• 1,715 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 20:42

I believe French GP will return as soon as Bernie is gone and the mentality of "who-pays-the-most" is changed to "what-is-the-best-for-f1".

Kimi has often praised Magny-Cours. And I agree. The track has a nice flow and relaxing rural scenery. It produced dreadfully dull races in the past, but so did Hungaroring. At least it is dissimilar to all the tilkedromes and it's not a street circuit. If Bernie decided it, he'd have GP in Paris. No thanks, I rather see F1 using old school racing tracks.

I don't see that changing anytime soon... or ever. Be it with or without Bernie.... 

#49 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,160 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 20:44

If Magny Cours was in the middle of nowhere, Le Castellet is the back of beyond.

Less than an hour's drive from Marseille, not that much further from Cannes, Nice and Monaco, and almost on the Côte d'Azur itself?

#50 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 20:48

Makes next to no sense to hold a race at Paul Ricard when Monaco is just up the road.

The only reason F1 is going there is because they are out of options with the German races running out of money and need an extra European race to keep the teams happy.

Edited by johnmhinds, 01 December 2016 - 20:49.