Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

FOM driver of the day awards

• Please log in to reply
229 replies to this topic

Poll: Fan Awards (262 member(s) have cast votes)

Is having a fan award like a "Driver of the day" a good idea?

1. Yes (58 votes [22.14%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 22.14%

2. No (64 votes [24.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 24.43%

3. Don't know (4 votes [1.53%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.53%

4. Don't care (52 votes [19.85%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 19.85%

5. It sucks that the Strategy Group had nothing better to do... (84 votes [32.06%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 32.06%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,288 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 18:58

Edit: Oops, got the thread title wrong

It’s under understood that fans will be invited to choose the best driver performance and best overtaking move at each race, via social media. In the early 1970s Marlboro backed the Prix Rouge et Blanc Jo Siffert Award for the “underdog” drive of the day. Although it wasn’t formally sanctioned by the governing body, it was regarded as as prestigious achievement at the time.
In addition to the driver of the day award there will be another for best overtaking move, also voted for by fans. A pit stop challenge is to be introduced, with a trophy for the fastest team of mechanics.

http://adamcooperf1....-driver-awards/

With the current struggles of F1 this appeared to me like a april fool...

Edited by Marklar, 19 January 2016 - 19:12.

Advertisement

#2 mgs315

mgs315

• 613 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 19:01

I'm in favour. Football does man of the match, why not do drive of the day? Can be sponsored by a particular company, generate a little more money and recognition for those not necessarily in the points or on the podium.

Edited by mgs315, 19 January 2016 - 19:02.

#3 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,996 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 19:01

Woo.  F1 has discovered social media.  In its Hughie Green days.  Ultimate in technology, people.

#4 ANF

ANF

• 29,530 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 19:08

Best overtaking move in Canada will surely be Felipe Massa's left index finger pressing the DRS button for the 56th time in the race.

#5 LeClerc

LeClerc

• 25,028 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 19:14

What's next? Best dressed driver ????

#6 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 11,162 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 19:17

Good idea.

It forces FOM to experiment more with new ways to engage viewers.

(instead of pocketing all the profit they make).

#7 muramasa

muramasa

• 8,479 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 19:17

"propose"?

#8 smitten

smitten

• 4,982 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 19:18

FFS

#9 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,288 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 19:20

Generally I also think that it is a good idea. It is just extremely frustrating that the sport is declining and the only thing they can agree are helm designs and fan awards.

Edited by Marklar, 19 January 2016 - 19:21.

#10 P123

P123

• 23,959 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 19:26

What's next? Best dressed driver ????

Going by a lot of the pre-race F1 topics this season I'd guess that would be popular on here!

#11 P123

P123

• 23,959 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 19:34

Generally I also think that it is a good idea. It is just extremely frustrating that the sport is declining and the only thing they can agree are helm designs and fan awards.

In a world with DRS the 'best overtaking move' choices will be a very short list! Most broadcasters do the odd poll anyway, and I'm sure the F1 website has for many years done a 'best driver' poll. So even something as inane as this isn't a fresh idea. Another 'being seen to be doing something' move, from those that are well and truly out of their depth, and are frankly dangerous to the health of the sport.

Pole trophy, fastest lap award.... does anybody outside the hardcore element of F1 fans (numbering the tens of thousands rather than millions) know these exist? In fact, does the fastest lap award thing still exist? And they want to introduce something with even less meaning.... Strategy Group? Their next task should be to rebrand the name of their little committee!

#12 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,288 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 19:37

In fact, does the fastest lap award thing still exist?

Yes  ;)

Strategy Group? Their next task should be to rebrand the name of their little committee!

Now that would be a good idea  ;)

Edited by Marklar, 19 January 2016 - 19:40.

#13 senna da silva

senna da silva

• 5,750 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 19:41

:rolleyes:

#14 Radoye

Radoye

• 3,372 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 19:41

There is already a "best driver" award. It's called the winners trophy.

#15 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,754 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 20:15

It's ridiculous that the SG is so out of touch that they can come up with this sort of idea rather than doing something about the real problems that are afflicting the sport. The last thing that is required is further massaging of the drivers ego. :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

#16 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 20:21

I don't care. It's something a lot of broadcasters, magazines and websites already do. We do it here on this forum and it's good fun - if inconsequential.

There's no point in pretending that this is somehow a complex scheme that will require a lot of time and would detract from more serious matters. It's just a gimmick.

#17 Anja

Anja

• 10,353 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 20:22

Not a bad idea, but we have bigger problems. And the worst thing is, it's not the first time when this sentence applies.

#18 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 11,162 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 20:36

Good idea.

It forces FOM to experiment more with new ways to engage viewers.

(instead of pocketing all the profit they make).

Can I retract my 'good idea' vote?

Adam Cooper: They follow on from a pattern established by the fastest lap trophy, which was brought in for 2014. That is sponsored by DHL, which suggests that naming rights for any new prize might also be taken up by a partner of Formula One Management.

Motivated by money. FOM/CVC sees dollar signs with another income stream.

Edited by Timstr11, 19 January 2016 - 20:36.

#19 Thrasymakus

Thrasymakus

• 52 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 20:46

Good idea I think. It's a great opportunity to put together some sharp and exciting little videos after each race to their around social media. So let's hope that happens.

I'll admit though if this had been the only thing the SG had announced today my opinion would be different.

Advertisement

#20 Martijn

Martijn

• 500 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 20:57

So it's basically a bi-weekly poll that asks which driver has the most fans. Woohoo. 

Meanwhile in many countries it's impossible to watch F1 unless you either want to pay 100s of Euro's or dont mind blocky livestreams. 

And they wonder why there's fewer people watching... 

Edited by Martijn, 19 January 2016 - 20:57.

#21 Rob

Rob

• 9,223 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 21:19

Asking the public to vote will mean one thing - at some point there will be an organised blockvote for someone inappropriate.

#22 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,791 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 21:25

Put this in with the Pole Award, Fastest Lap Trophy and Personal Driver Numbers as halfway intriguing ideas that 6 months later no one will remember exist.

Or am I being too pessimistic?

Edited by Risil, 19 January 2016 - 21:25.

#23 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,791 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 21:26

Asking the public to vote will mean one thing - at some point there will be an organised blockvote for someone inappropriate.

Can we vote for Salvador Duran?

#24 Rob

Rob

• 9,223 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 21:33

Can we vote for Salvador Duran?

Go for it. You have my blessing.

#25 Exb

Exb

• 3,961 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 22:09

I don't have a problem with it - its a simple (and harmless) solution to all the criticism the teams get for not engaging fans enough and 'lack of social media' presence. Engaging with the fans was one of the things that came out of those fan polls last year (which is probably why the strategy group have looked at it in the first place).
People who don't like it/aren't interested can just ignore it but I'm sure plenty will vote, as they already do in similar polls held on various sites (including this forum). Its just a bit of fun and at least it has no effect on the racing (unlike Formula E's fan vote   ;) )

(also the fact the strategy group wasted time on this gives them less time to think of some other hideous idea they might dream up to make races more random)

#26 BuddyHolly

BuddyHolly

• 3,554 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 13:14

When I first read the title of this thread I thought it was a joke, now I see its not.. well I'm stunned.  words fail me at how stupid this is :rotfl:

#27 LuckyStrike1

LuckyStrike1

• 8,681 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 14:42

So Hamilton first and Kimi second then. 

#28 Jerem

Jerem

• 2,176 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 14:46

So Hamilton first and Kimi second then. 

You forget Max V. His fans will actually vote.

#29 JeePee

JeePee

• 5,910 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 14:51

F1 is saved!

#30 7MGTEsup

7MGTEsup

• 2,477 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 16:13

Nero fiddles while Rome burns?

It's like putting a big red cherry on top of a steaming turd and proclaiming "it's done"

#31 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 16:14

Could not care any less tbh.

#32 ardbeg

ardbeg

• 2,876 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 20:13

Strategy Group? So this i what they are doing. Will there be t-shirts? 

#33 pdac

pdac

• 17,274 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 21:00

It can't be "It sucks that the Strategy Group had nothing better to do" as there's plenty to be done - it's sad that they are incapable of doing anything better, though.

#34 Spillage

Spillage

• 10,306 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 21:39

Yes, but it's also a shame the Strategy Group has nothing better to do. Just as long as they don't start dishing out vote-based points or FanBoosts, anything that engages the fans should be encouraged.

#35 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,754 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 21:49

Yes, but it's also a shame the Strategy Group has nothing better to do. Just as long as they don't start dishing out vote-based points or FanBoosts, anything that engages the fans should be encouraged.

Would you seriously feel more engaged if they brought this in?

#36 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 22:12

Nobody expects anything better from the so called "Strategy Group" anymore.

These are the same idiots that thought standing re-starts after safety cars was a good idea.

#37 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,791 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 22:23

Standing restarts! How can it be 2016 and we not have them.

#38 Spillage

Spillage

• 10,306 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 22:46

No, but I'm in the grip of a nineteen-year motorsport obsession. Something like this might work for younger, more casual fans.

#39 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 08:52

You only need to look at football to see that arbitrary awards do indeed affect people's perception of the game.

The key is to be close to the event. Few people care what the FIA awarded at its annual show because it's so removed from any actual racing.

More importantly, these awards make for a great discussion-starter, especially if the people chosing the Driver of the Race are smart enough not to pick the winner every time.

You can just imagine the headlines:

'Was Räikkönen's DotR the right call? Discuss!' / 'A look at Button's road to DotR' / 'Inside Hamilton's OotR - new onboard footage!' / 'The top 10 DotR awards of 2016! You won't believe who's 4th!'

Edited by Nonesuch, 21 January 2016 - 08:54.

Advertisement

#40 KingTiger

KingTiger

• 1,895 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 10:20

If there was only something more important for the strategy group to discuss...

#41 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,220 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 10:47

I don't understand what's the problem and why the backlash. Changes absolutely nothing to the race and it's good for the marketing. Yes there's bigger problems to deal with (and a lot of them), but what's wrong with dealing with the small problems as well?

#42 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,754 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 11:47

You only need to look at football to see that arbitrary awards do indeed affect people's perception of the game.

The key is to be close to the event. Few people care what the FIA awarded at its annual show because it's so removed from any actual racing.

More importantly, these awards make for a great discussion-starter, especially if the people chosing the Driver of the Race are smart enough not to pick the winner every time.

'Was Räikkönen's DotR the right call? Discuss!' / 'A look at Button's road to DotR' / 'Inside Hamilton's OotR - new onboard footage!' / 'The top 10 DotR awards of 2016! You won't believe who's 4th!'

Myabe it's just me. I have never cared about self-congratulatory award systems of any kind. Driver of the race, player of the day\season, Oscars etc.etc. hold no interest to me whatsoever, or ever have done.

#43 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,754 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 11:49

I don't understand what's the problem and why the backlash. Changes absolutely nothing to the race and it's good for the marketing. Yes there's bigger problems to deal with (and a lot of them), but what's wrong with dealing with the small problems as well?

Because it's likely the only sort thing that will actually happen and they will go away patting themselves on the back. It's not the sort of thing that needs the strategy group to discuss.

#44 JeePee

JeePee

• 5,910 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 11:52

but what's wrong with dealing with the small problems as well?

It's wrong because the small problems aren't problems and they don't deal with them "as well" but more like "only".

#45 Joshrobins13

Joshrobins13

• 547 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 12:10

In the future someone will start a "Would Michael Schumacher have got more DoTD awards than Max Verstappen?" thread. Someone will list all of Michael's races and there will be a debate on how many he would've got. You heard it hear first.

In all seriousness, I get why people say it does no harm and at least they're doing something etc. But i personally won't be interested in it, or at all worried about who gets it. Much like Football's MoTM, goal of the month, manager/player of the month etc.

It will just give the Sky pundits another reason overly praise certain drivers and the media will have one more utterly pointless and boring question to ask the drivers!!!

#46 goingthedistance

goingthedistance
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,471 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 12:19

Meh. This is best left to the presenting media/websites.

It'll just be the usual popularity contest (Hamilton for driver of the race/Verstappen for overtake) based on the hype spewed by the likes of Crofty.

Better fan engagement is not achieved by appropriating segments of social media already achieved informally. They need to focus on making the drivers more accessible via the official channels, providing better data/analysis tools, video, etc on the website and apps.

Edited by goingthedistance, 21 January 2016 - 12:22.

#47 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 12:26

Don't most of the TV channels already do all that though?

I don't see how having an official FIA driver of the race, sorry "​Driver of the race Sponsored by Dulux Paint, our quick drying paint is less boring than Yas Marina" changes anything for fans.  :stoned:

#48 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,233 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 12:27

Oh, good, just what F1 needs: participation trophies.

#49 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 13:33

Don't most of the TV channels already do all that though?

Absolutely, but it'd be so much better for everyone Ecclestone if the FIA FOM could be at the centre of the publicity. :up:

I don't see how having an official FIA driver of the race, sorry "​Driver of the race Sponsored by Dulux Paint, our quick drying paint is less boring than Yas Marina" changes anything for fans. :stoned:

When browsing the usual Rate the Race threads here on this forum I'm not infrequently reminded of things that happened during the race.

While I'm personally in the habit of switching off the TV after the top 10 has crossed the finish line, it seems like you could easily fill the time between the winner leaving his car and appearing on the podium with a quick highlight of the winning overtaking manoeuvre or the driver of the race. That seems perfectly fine to me. I don't care whether they do it or not, but why not give it a try? Let's see if it's something people enjoy, and if it doesn't attract attention you can easily get rid of it by just... not doing it any more.

Edited by Nonesuch, 21 January 2016 - 13:34.

#50 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,116 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 15:25

While I'm personally in the habit of switching off the TV after the top 10 has crossed the finish line, it seems like you could easily fill the time between the winner leaving his car and appearing on the podium with a quick highlight of the winning overtaking manoeuvre or the driver of the race. That seems perfectly fine to me. I don't care whether they do it or not, but why not give it a try? Let's see if it's something people enjoy, and if it doesn't attract attention you can easily get rid of it by just... not doing it any more.

Given FOM's new media savvy, it probably wouldn't be like that.  More like:  you can mail, FAX, or telegraph in your votes in the week after the race, and the results will be published in a new monthly (subscription-only for-fee) periodical magazine mailed to your house within 3-8 weeks after the race.