Monza to replace the 'Curva Grande' with a chicane

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 fpbecker

fpbecker

• 56 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 10:54

http://forums.autosp...-a-new-chicane/

I hope you will forgive me for linking to a Racing Comments thread, but I feel like this kind of change to a classic racing track is of interest to TNF as well. What do you think of the planned modification? For me it reeks of further tilke-ising yet another great F1 circuit.

Advertisement

#2 john aston

john aston

• 2,694 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 17:07

Yes. it'd be like putting a chicane at Woodcote.Oh , hold on..

But seriously- it is asinine and another example of betrayal of the  sports heritage.Still , at least we have the Grand Prix of Azerbaijan to look forward to.  

#3 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,448 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 18:02

At the risk of looking dense, am I understanding correctly that they'll re-pave that old section of track to integrate a chicane?

Regardless, day by day, all sex appeal of F1 seems evermore shorn with a Durex.

#4 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,052 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 18:08

I hope you will forgive me for linking to a Racing Comments thread, but I feel like this kind of change to a classic racing track is of interest to TNF as well. What do you think of the planned modification? For me it reeks of further tilke-ising yet another great F1 circuit.

They certainly go at it in that section - 87 posts in 21 hours!

Apart from Monaco, there seem to be two kinds of circuit with 50+ years of continuous history - those that have become Tilkedromes and those that are no longer used, and I wouldn't support either fate for any of 'em.

#5 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,067 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 07:26

At the risk of looking dense, am I understanding correctly that they'll re-pave that old section of track to integrate a chicane?

Regardless, day by day, all sex appeal of F1 seems evermore shorn with a Durex.

Yes. However, the word at the moment is that this configuration will only be used (in terms of actual racing) for WSBK.

#6 eldougo

eldougo

• 9,351 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 08:21

It's not April fools day is it??? PLEASE tell me it not true... :cry:  :cry:  :cry:

#7 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,165 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 10:40

You know what?  I really don't care very much about whether or not they install this chicane.  Present day Formula Ecclestone is so far removed from anything that I call motor racing, so why should I get emotional about it.  I have my memories of Monza and they will remain. They can't take that away from me.

Signed, A. Luddite.

#8 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,180 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 15:27

I have my memories of Monza and they will remain. They can't take that away from me.

You wish... [commence diabolical laughter] :D

Seriously, the same goes for me. Who cares!

#9 uffen

uffen

• 1,892 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 20:45

We would wish, however, for current and future generations to have the same memory opportunities as we did, rather than thinking that Tilkedrome-style was Grand Prix rated.

#10 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,726 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 21:36

It's not even the original Curva Grande as that was re-aligned in 1994 in order to create a bigger run off wasn't it ?

Edited by LittleChris, 26 January 2016 - 21:36.

#11 Jagjon

Jagjon

• 147 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 11:26

Quote of  one racer.... S Moss:

"I certainly had an appreciation of the danger which to me was part of the pleasure of racing. To me now racing is – the dangers are taken away: if it's difficult, they put in a chicane. So really now the danger is minimal – which is good, because people aren't hurt. But for me the fact that I had danger on my shoulder made it much more exciting. 

#12 bill p

bill p

• 697 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 16:23

http://forums.autosp...-a-new-chicane/

Isn't this Chicane being added for use in the World Superbike Series not our hallowed Italian GP??

Edited by bill p, 29 January 2016 - 16:23.

#13 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,966 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 13:19

The only true chicane as far as I'm concerned is at Monaco, or should I say was.....all the others are pretenders to the throne......

#14 R.W. Mackenzie

R.W. Mackenzie

• 373 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 15:33

Part of me agrees with those who say "Who cares?" The whole circuit has been so bastardized as to be unrecognizable from the classic circuit. Curva Grande is so close to the preceding chicane that I don't think you are at the limit any more. Another short straight and you're into the next chicane. What difference would another chicane make.

The real loss would be that it is presently the site of some of the most ballsy passing maneuvers in F1 racing.

I understand that the proximity to the street beyond the outer wall limits the scope of safety precautions but I hope the solution would be a challenging series of esses rather than another soul-destroying chicane.

In 1974 I visited Monza and was driven for two high speed laps in a hot Alfa GTA, then walked the full oval in the dying sunlight. So I got to see it in it's (almost) classical glory.

It will never be the same.

#15 exclubracer

exclubracer

• 1,720 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 18:49

Isn't this Chicane being added for use in the World Superbike Series not our hallowed Italian GP??

In the two wheeled racing fraternity Monza and in particular the Curva Grande have been dirty words since 1973 when then 250cc world champion Jarno Saarinen and Italian champion Renzo Pasolini were killed there in a mass pile-up on the first lap of the 250cc race of the Italian Grand Prix. The circuit also received another kick in the balls when 3 riders were killed in an Italian championship race at exactly the same location.

The best thing to happen to Monza would be for it to be turned into a theme park, perhaps with an effigy of Silvio Berlusconi at the gate for added authenticity.

#16 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,531 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 19:38

Fritzd'Orey was a friend of Pete Coltrin's who described driving his Ferrari 250GT through the Curva Grande to Peter more or less as follows: "I go in there, shut my eyes, count two then open them and it's too late to back off, so then I flick the steering, right, left, right, left, right - all the time trying to keep my throttle foot flat to the floor - and all the way through I am telling myself 'I think I am all right - I think I am all right... And I am - a lot of the time...".

Let's just cut the top 5,000 feet off Everest.  Let's make the hole in golf twice as wide. Let's use a softer ball in cricket.  Let's p--- this one-time sport's heritage half as far up the wall. Yes, they can't even get that bit right.

Better indeed to close the Autodrome than to emasculate it even further - to destroy yet another standard of performance, one which has in any case been deeply eroded over time.  What's going to be left to impress we thus-far lifelong enthusiasts who merely stand and watch...

DCN

Edited by Doug Nye, 28 March 2016 - 21:17.

#17 AJCee

AJCee

• 332 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 20:35

I can't see why they bother with all the tiresome inconvenience of actually going to all these far-flung places anymore.  Can't they just load up the circuits on the factory simulators and run the Championships as a series of computer games?  So much safer and saves letting the hoi-polloi in too.

#18 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,702 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 21:53

I can't see why they bother with all the tiresome inconvenience of actually going to all these far-flung places anymore.  Can't they just load up the circuits on the factory simulators and run the Championships as a series of computer games?  So much safer and saves letting the hoi-polloi in too.

Or paint all the circuits on a vast expanse of tarmac somewhere.  Add some movable grandstands with cardboard cutouts to add a touch of authenticity and have the drivers control radio controlled cars from a comfortable air-conditioned lounge.