Photo

Ian Richardson's McLaren Special

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kartman24

kartman24

• 99 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 22:05

Does anyone remember Ian`s Blue McLaren Special from the early 70`s, I remember seeing the car at Silverstone setting FTD at a Sprint meeting, it had an impressive whistle down the back straight along with the roar from the V8 engine. It was fitted with a Ford Weslake 6000cc engine. I have heard parts from it went into his later Chevrolet Corvair Super Saloon, what happened to the McLaren and where is it now? I would love to see a picture of the car taken back then if anyone has one they can post?...............Martin

Advertisement

#2 john winfield

john winfield

• 5,657 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 20:07

Martin,

Is this the Ian Richardson McLaren you mean? (not IR standing alongside)

http://www.theroarin...60&d=1356208873

#3 kartman24

kartman24

• 99 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 20:38

Many thanks John, yes that is the car, exactly as i remember it. I have been looking for a picture of it for ages, does anyone know it`s current whereabouts or chassis number?............Martin

#4 JSF

JSF

• 678 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 00:25

Hi Martin, Ian sold the car complete.

Ian built it from the last M1C chassis Trojan had, he thinks he bought it in 69, he cant remember the chassis number. He bought the box direct from Hewland and had a sponsorship deal with Girling who supplied him with some 4 pot vented brakes for the car. The engine was a Holman and Moody 6.2 litre weslake ford, he tried a 6.4 litre version in one race but had oiling issues so reverted to the 6.2. Wheels were 11" wide front, 16" wide rear. The car was essentially an M1C with wider bodywork to accommodate the larger wheels and looking at the photos I'd say the track was increased also.

The car was used in hillclimbs, sprints and circuit races and was raced mainly in British GT races in 71, with some interserie outings in 72

If you look in the McLaren Wins book, Ian and the car are noted as giving McLaren many of its wins in the 71/72 season, with 10 race wins officially recognised by McLaren.

#5 Dutchy

Dutchy

• 706 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 14:21

Was this the car that Nick Green raced in the latter part of the 1970s?

#6 kartman24

kartman24

• 99 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 22:34

Many thanks for the info on the car from Ian, the mention of Nick Green made me search for pictures and yes it looks like the same car to me 

http://thanetclassic...een-pic_163.htm

Any idea where it went after Nick?.............Martin