Photo

Kieft flat four engine

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,698 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 21:57

I recently came across an advert for Kieft-Climax cars from either late 1954 or early 1955 as it features the Kieft results at Sebring and Dundrod.  The interesting thing was the small print which said:

"This car can also be fitted with the new KIEFT 1,500 c.c. four overhead camshaft, flat four engine, developing 105 b.h.p. at 6,200 r.p.m." 

I have never heard of a Kieft engine, but they were advertising it.  Could there be a Butterworth connection perhaps?

Edited by D-Type, 09 February 2016 - 08:59.

Advertisement

#2 Oneandhalf

Oneandhalf

• 40 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 20:17

I guess you are talking about Archie Butterwoth' s 2-liter flat four, modified  with "double knocker" Norton heads. There is a perfect article at MotorSport Nov. 2002 p.77-78.

#3 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 22:27

ISTR that Peter Tutthill, sp??, mentions it, the AJB engine,  in his first Kieft book. I will check.

Roger Lund

#4 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,698 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 11:03

I guess you are talking about Archie Butterwoth' s 2-liter flat four, modified  with "double knocker" Norton heads. There is a perfect article at MotorSport Nov. 2002 p.77-78.

No, this appears to be a different engine built by Kieft.  

There's a fleeting reference in the March 1954  issue of Motor Sport in an article with  the heading "Kieft plans for the coming season" where it says:

Kieft's own pet project is a 1 1/2-litre air-cooled flat-four sports car using his centre-seat chassis and a Wilson preselector gearbox. He may build a team of these cars to challenge Porsche opposition. Reg Mead has developed a single-cylinder test rig of this engine to give 32 1/2 b.h.p. at 7,000 r.p.m. This engine will replace the Butterworth, which Kieft has virtually abandoned.

#5 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,546 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 11:47

There was one of these AJB F4 engines fitted to a Kieft single seater which was hillclimbed.

#6 robjohn

robjohn

• 68 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 23:51

Was there really a second Kieft flat-four, different from the AJB?
A flat-four engine was on the Kieft stand at the 1954 London Motor Show, apparently reported in the November 1954 Motor Sport, but the only direct quote I've access to calls it "the Kieft/Norton air-cooled flat-four 1½-litre which gives over 100 b.h.p."
It'd be interesting to hear what's said in the Tuthill book or the one by Hammill and Jenkins.
I've read several shorter accounts of Kieft's operations but don't recall a mention of another flat-four.
Rob B