Photo

Pete Arundell Lotus Cortina query.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,569 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 12:42

lads, can anyone help me please? I'm trying to verify a little info on Pete Arundell in one of the Lotus Cortinas, I'm told it was 1966 at Goodwood. I'm told that he had an accident and rolled the car but managed to get it back to the pits. He was then told by Chapman to go back out in the car as it was still running, which he did, for one lap only, as he now had an oil leak, he then retired the car. Can anyone confirm the race and date at all. Many thanks in advance!

Advertisement

#2 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,512 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 15:56

News to me.  Jack Brabham rolled Alan Brown's Ford Galaxie during Easter Monday meeting practice one year, but I don't recall Pete rolling a works Lotus-Cortina.  Given my profound interest in saloon car racing (ahem) that's not to say it didn't happen...   :confused:

DCN

Edited by Doug Nye, 09 February 2016 - 15:56.

#3 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 16:21

Did Peter not put a Cortina on its side in practice for the saloon race supporting the British GP at Silverstone the year that Jim Clark was away at Indy at the same time? Peter was always anxious to prove to ACBC apparently that he was as quick, or could be , as JC in the Cortina and leaned just that little bit too much and flopped it on its side . Perhaps the marshals righted it, I cannot say. It might be reported in one of the magazines. ISTR Bob Dance telling me the story. The car was fixed for the race IIRC from the story.
Unless I have it all wrong...
Peter Darley may remember something about it if it did happen.
Roger Lund

#4 David Wright

David Wright

• 99 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 18:14

Arundell finished 5th at Goodwood in 1966.  No retirement.

http://touringcarrac...6 Goodwood.html

#5 Peter Darley

Peter Darley

• 286 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 19:21

I have no recollection of Peter A. rolling his Lotus Cortina at Goodwood - if he had done I would have photographed it ! ACBC liked to have proof of his drivers errors.

#6 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 19:24

Maybe this one at Oulton Park?  Although he did finish...

http://touringcarrac...on Park GC.html

Vince H.

#7 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,569 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 21:52

Thanks indeed for the replies, I think my informant must be getting mixed with another race/circuit, I'll check again.

#8 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 23:57

Gary, is your pm box full? Contact me via RTH email if you do not have mine
Roger Lund

Edited by bradbury west, 10 February 2016 - 00:03.