Photo

Malcolm Wayne racing

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 RobMk2a

RobMk2a

• 262 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 09:26

Does anyone know more about Malcolm Wayne, or even if he can still be contacted. I'm interested in his involvement with Team TVR.

From the ECMC I understand he entered under Team TVR a white TVR Grantura MG Mk2 at Snetterton Eastern Counties 100 Trophy 19th June 1960. Early in March 1960 he entered an Austin Healey under the name Team TVR - I assume the new Mk2 was not ready. Autosport reports he rolled a 'works' supported Grantura MG at Rufforth in September 1960. I understand this car was to be raced by Colin Escott.

I also understand he raced a TR2 starting in 1955, Elva Butterworth, Elva Courier reg 9330 UG, Diggory - Gwyniard FJ, and one of the first private Lotus Elan's. Later raced a Elva BRM Mk8, Lotus 47 and possibly Camero.

Thank you for your help.

Rob Pennington

Advertisement

#2 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 10:38

I believe his son raced in more recent times. Perhaps TNFers who follow modern racing might be able to help. YSCC archives may help too, a letter on their website etc. I recall him at Rufforth in his Elan when Jackie Oliver was there in his Little Red Rooster Elan. I will check to see if I have any old programme extracts with details of MW.
Roger Lund

#3 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,581 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 11:19

He also raced a Brabham BT36 and March 712 in Atlantic and Libre in the early '70s. I believe he was closely associated with (maybe even the owner of) the garage/car dealership Tate of Leeds who were involved as owners/sponsors of many cars in various racing categories, many of them driven by Chris Meek. Tate of Leeds still appears to be in business - perhaps they could provide info on him.

#4 Andrew Fellowes

Andrew Fellowes

• 753 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 19:59

He also raced a Brabham BT36 and March 712 in Atlantic and Libre in the early '70s. I believe he was closely associated with (maybe even the owner of) the garage/car dealership Tate of Leeds who were involved as owners/sponsors of many cars in various racing categories, many of them driven by Chris Meek. Tate of Leeds still appears to be in business - perhaps they could provide info on him.

I called Tate of Leeds a couple of years back no one I spoke to knew anything about motor racing, so good luck with that one!

#5 EDWARD FITZGERALD

EDWARD FITZGERALD

• 706 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 09:47

CHRIS MEEK would be the man I would check with 

#6 DMB81

DMB81

• 50 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 21:40

I think Malcolm Wayne was Chris Meek's partner in Titan Properties in Leeds. It used to be on Roundhay Road many years ago, not sure if still around.

Malcolm's son, Simon raced at Croft in late seventies/early eighties, from memory in a Sark FF1600.

#7 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 3,118 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 22:07

Yes DMB, I recall Simon Wayne in the Sark. Macleod won the 79 FF Fest in one, big sales were hoped for after that, but other than Simon W I can't remember many being sold