Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Ecclestone: Daily Mail Interview: Formula One is worst it's ever been... I wouldn't pay to watch it [merged]

• Please log in to reply
254 replies to this topic

#1 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,288 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 23:59

'I don't need the job. I don't need the money. Most of the participants are only thinking about what's good for them in the short term. Long term for most of those people is two or three races. The result is that Formula One is the worst it has ever been. I wouldn't spend my money to take my family to watch a race. No way.

'What's the point when you pretty much know — and the bookmakers know, and they're not stupid — that Lewis Hamilton will probably put the car on pole and more likely than not win the race, and the other Mercedes will be on the podium?'

Ecclestone is the master of dropping a bombshell and watching everyone scurry for cover [...] He revealed a revolutionary plan that he wants in place for the opening race of this season in Melbourne on March 20 — mixed grids.
'We need more competitive racing,' he said. 'I would keep qualifying as it is. The guy who is quickest would still have his number of poles recorded for history. But then he could start, say, 10th based on his pole and where he stands in the championship. We are looking at exactly how we could do it.
'The guy who is third fastest in qualifying would start, say seventh or eighth. That is better than totally reversed grids because all you get with them is the man at the back getting past the slower guys at the start of the race. This way makes it competitive between guys of similar speed. It won't be easy to get past people.
'The big thing is that it would create debate. I would say, "I think the pole man will win for this reason or that". You say, "No, I think so-and-so will win because..." That's what we need. I don't know if we can get it through in time. We'll see.'

http://www.dailymail...y-watch-it.html

:stoned:

Edited by Marklar, 22 February 2016 - 18:09.

Advertisement

#2 KingTiger

KingTiger

• 1,895 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 00:02

No.

#3 TheRacingElf

TheRacingElf

• 2,267 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 00:04

I'm getting more and more convinced he's just trolling us. Realistically speaking you just can't come up with this much bullshit as he does.

#4 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 00:07

Reversed top 10s?

:down: :down: :down:

#5 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,961 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 00:10

Anywhere else other than the Daily Mail reporting this?

#6 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,288 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 00:10

Anywhere else other than the Daily Mail reporting this?

It's an exclusive interview with Bernie. So not yet.

Edited by Marklar, 22 February 2016 - 00:11.

#7 teejay

teejay

• 6,130 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 00:14

And there is 0.00000000000% chance this could be implemented in time for 2016.

#8 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,682 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 00:14

****ing hell

#9 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,288 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 00:15

On a sidenote: Isnt that the idea Kristian proposed a few times here?

#10 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,961 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 00:17

On a sidenote: Isnt that the idea Kristian proposed a few times here?

Bernie reads this forum?  ;)

#11 InSearchOfThe

InSearchOfThe

• 2,648 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 00:23

Leave it alone, you twit.

Is he still "training" a successor?

He can't go on for ever. I know the teams love him, but his story is tired.

#12 goingthedistance

goingthedistance
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,471 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 00:25

He really is getting too old.

#13 ANF

ANF

• 29,530 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 00:30

Here's Bernie again telling us that F1 sucks. Nice.

#14 Laura23

Laura23

• 825 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 00:30

Master troll strikes again. The off-season has clearly been too quiet for his liking and he wants people talking about the sport again.

#15 Rjpscr

Rjpscr

• 330 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 00:35

lol hope teams say something about this idiotic idea. 

#16 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,255 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 00:37

you people...

DailyMail?

Was it a Sunday?

FFS

Jp

#17 TheRacingElf

TheRacingElf

• 2,267 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 00:40

Bernie doesn't acknowledge the existing of the Internet

#18 P123

P123

• 23,959 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 00:42

LOL! The world needs to stop being reminded that Ecclestone is involved with F1. He's a liability.

#19 Seano

Seano

• 358 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 00:48

Is Putin someone Ecclestone still admires? 'Absolutely. He's the guy who should run Europe. He will sort out this other business that is going on in Syria. The good thing is that he does what he believes to be right and he stands by it. It's hard to talk him out of anything."

Clearly Bernie  is begging to be put in a secure home before going in his box.

Sean

Advertisement

#20 tifosi

tifosi

• 22,767 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 01:02

This demonstrates just how pathetic Formula One has become.

#21 ANF

ANF

• 29,530 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 01:02

Reversed top 10s?

:down: :down: :down:

Not reversed. Mixed. Pole position is moved to 10th. P2 is moved to 12th. P3 is 8th. P4 is 21st. P5 is 3rd. P6 is 19th. P7 is 11th. P8 is 1st. And so on. All depending on championship points. You see, a championship leader can only move down the grid and a runner-up can only move up the grid. A driver who's 3rd in the championship can only start from a higher grid position than the driver who's 4th in the championship if the difference between their qualifying times, rounded down to the nearest tenth of a second, is greater than the number of points that separate them in the championship divided by the number of completed events for each driver, given that both drivers have set their qualifying times in the same qualifying knockout phase. If they haven't set their qualifying times in the same qualifying knockout phase, the millisecond digit in the slowest qualifying lap time set by the driver who's 3rd in the championship in the knockout phase in which the driver who's 4th in the championship set his final qualifying time will determine how many grid slots that will separate the two drivers and in which direction they will move: if the number is odd the driver who's 3rd in the championship will move up and if it's even the driver who's 4th in the championship will move up. Unless it rains of course, in which case there will be a debate.

Edited by ANF, 22 February 2016 - 01:04.

#22 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 01:24

Didnt he used to post here as Octavius.... 

just kidding :p

Edited by jjcale, 22 February 2016 - 01:24.

#23 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,233 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 01:38

I think I've finally realised where Donald Trump got his campaign strategy.

#24 turssi

turssi

• 3,368 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 02:23

So some kind of performance based penalties applied after qualy?

Bernie is best, but this time his brainstorming is a bit difficult to understand. I bet he will go with this narrative at least until mid season :-)

#25 Docc

Docc

• 615 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 02:34

Draw straws..

With a volunteer driver from the stands doing the first laps...

#26 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,116 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 02:40

Yeah, if Bernie is talking about mixing qualy results with reverse championship positions, then it would be basically identical with the idea that was floated on this forum before...

#27 404KF2

404KF2

• 19,120 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 02:48

Do everyone a favour and stop watching the Bernie Circus for a couple of years.  Then it can reboot.

#28 RottenAli

RottenAli

• 195 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 02:50

Far too complicated.
Roll back time... We had a system that was practice on the Friday morning, then have an hour of qualifing in the afternoon. Same timetable Saturday. If the Saturday time was quicker you take the Saturday's time to be your grid time.
Easy.

Now let's say you want mixed grids. Heaven knows why you would. But that idea about mashing up the top ten should do no further harm to the top ten driver than looking back at the previous sessions' time sheets and should the fastest guy in Q3 have been fastest in every session during the weekend then that "fool idea" about a mash won't happen to the deserving driver.

In essence that should be all the way down the grid. And with directed randomality.

Again, without drawing lots, it's too crazy to come up with new ideas to "spice-up-the-show".

However I come back to a solution that holds fast laps on the timing computer, throughout the weekend. Say, you manage to lap quickly on the Friday morning but then loose some pace thereafter, at least your grid time may still be respectable even though your end time on Saturday says you would have started maybe 17 because of bad traffic on your two fastest runs in Q1. Thus, any fast time straight out of the box, say with a new engine, really then counts for something going forward to the grid.

#29 BalanceUT

BalanceUT

• 2,318 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 02:52

Not reversed. Mixed. Pole position is moved to 10th. P2 is moved to 12th. P3 is 8th. P4 is 21st. P5 is 3rd. P6 is 19th. P7 is 11th. P8 is 1st. And so on. All depending on championship points. You see, a championship leader can only move down the grid and a runner-up can only move up the grid. A driver who's 3rd in the championship can only start from a higher grid position than the driver who's 4th in the championship if the difference between their qualifying times, rounded down to the nearest tenth of a second, is greater than the number of points that separate them in the championship divided by the number of completed events for each driver, given that both drivers have set their qualifying times in the same qualifying knockout phase. If they haven't set their qualifying times in the same qualifying knockout phase, the millisecond digit in the slowest qualifying lap time set by the driver who's 3rd in the championship in the knockout phase in which the driver who's 4th in the championship set his final qualifying time will determine how many grid slots that will separate the two drivers and in which direction they will move: if the number is odd the driver who's 3rd in the championship will move up and if it's even the driver who's 4th in the championship will move up. Unless it rains of course, in which case there will be a debate.

And, we thought the new tire regs were opaque. 

#30 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 03:12

Why do you guys always fall for Bernie trolling to get F1 in the news every off season.

Stop falling for his nonsense.

#31 Peter0Scandlyn

Peter0Scandlyn

• 727 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 05:36

Fool! Someone dispatch him. Please....

#32 Mat13

Mat13

• 4,100 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 06:26

Bernie Ecclestone in the Daily Mail. Not exactly the most sound platform for truth.

#33 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 06:37

Haryanto, stop giving Bernie ideas.

#34 Kristian

Kristian

• 4,365 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 07:42

The irony is, the idea I floated meant that Melbourne would be the only race not mixed grid as its the first one  :drunk:

#35 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 15,144 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 07:56

I'm getting more and more convinced he's just trolling us. Realistically speaking you just can't come up with this much bullshit as he does.

Bernie is only focused on attracting as many viewers as possible. Unfortunately, these sorts of ideas of his would help to achieve that.

Trouble is he's forgotten what the DNA of F1 is and why he got into motorsport in the first place.

#36 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 15,144 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 07:56

Bernie is only focused on attracting as many viewers as possible. Unfortunately, these sorts of ideas of his would help to achieve that.

Trouble is he's forgotten what the DNA of F1 is and why he got into motorsport in the first place.

#37 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 2,856 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 08:04

Why not play snakes and ladders to determine the race result. Ecclestone's usefulness to the sport is gone. 'Come in number 22, your time is up.'

#38 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,685 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 10:34

Bernie said a LOT more than just that bit, calling the F1 Commission an illegal cartel, saying F1's the worst it's ever been, calling for Todt to step down, & saying he wouldn't spend money on F1 tickets right now, etc...

http://www.motorspor...er-been-674820/

Edited by AustinF1, 22 February 2016 - 11:58.

#39 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 8,584 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 10:37

The F1 season is warming up, it needs to make headlines.

Enter Bernie.

Advertisement

#40 ANF

ANF

• 29,530 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 10:42

Bernie said a LOT more than just that bit, calling F1 an illegal cartel, saying it's the worst it's ever been, calling for Todt to step down, & saying he wouldn't spend money on F1 tickets right now, etc...

http://www.motorspor...er-been-674820/

And this:

'At the last World Council one of the vice-presidents put forward a motion that Mr Ecclestone and Mr Todt could do whatever they needed to do to sort out Formula One, and that was passed. I said, "Jean, we can now do what we want". "Ohhhh," he said. "We'll get sued". I told him not to worry. If people sued us, we would pay the costs of everything. If there were damages to pay, we would pay the damages. So we had a loaded gun. But he said he didn't want that sort of problem on his watch.'

(Now where's Mark Hughes to connect the dots?)

#41 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 18,111 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 10:43

The fight for the 10th spot in quali will be infernal  :up:

"ah! I wish i was slower!!"

Edited by thegamer23, 22 February 2016 - 10:43.

#42 hamilton10000

hamilton10000

• 684 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 10:47

Taking this idea seriously for a minute, wouldn't we just end up with a farcical quali session where everyone is trying to drive slower than each other to qualify tenth? Also, didn't something like that happen in WTCC a few years back?

#43 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,789 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 10:57

The F1 season is warming up, it needs to make headlines.

Enter Bernie.

But this is terrible publicity! No one is going to want to watch F1 more because of a headline saying it's boring and predictable.

#44 ANF

ANF

• 29,530 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 10:59

Taking this idea seriously for a minute, wouldn't we just end up with a farcical quali session where everyone is trying to drive slower than each other to qualify tenth? Also, didn't something like that happen in WTCC a few years back?

You simply push like hell to start a timed lap, then stop the car. Ten minutes later, bring up the clock on the steering wheel and try not to take the chequered flag. It will create debate.

#45 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,685 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 11:03

But this is terrible publicity! No one is going to want to watch F1 more because of a headline saying it's boring and predictable.

Or they'll not want to watch because it is boring and predictable. Nothing anyone says about F1 is as damaging to F1 as is the product.

#46 Kristian

Kristian

• 4,365 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 11:12

I'm assuming he's thinking of a similar system as the one I proposed a while back, which ensure this doesn't happen (http://forums.autosp...se-grid-debate/ - a bit of a misnomer of a thread, I should have called it 'mixed' grids like this one). 

Purists might be outraged, but I bet a lot more people will get up early for Melbourne if it happened (as we speak, the Mercedes is going round metronomically fast and reliably, I think its going to be a similar story to last year). However, I don't agree implementing it for the first race when there are no championship standings - I'm assuming if they use last years, it will give a massive advantage to cars who've improved a bit and the rookies, and a massive disadvantage to those who stagnate or fall back slightly. 

Edited by Kristian, 22 February 2016 - 11:13.

#47 Zedderick

Zedderick

• 55 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 11:12

Just put Manor at the front - yeah there's the whole performance difference blahblahblah, but seriously if he wants to make F1 look more attractive, have the most attractive looking cars at the front! Makes sense to me!!!

Yeah because if he's aiming at the floating viewer who will be enticed by the gimmickry of piddling about with qualification, the same logic applies, right?

#48 SilverArrow31

SilverArrow31

• 5,082 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 11:14

That's basically Bernie and John McEvoy sitting down and having a chat. I don't believe a word of it. The entire premise is against everything F1 stands for by rewarding those who haven't done as good a job. Its the ramblings of an old man and a Daily Mail reporter, loved the Putin part that's hilarious. Go home guys, your drunk! :rotfl:

#49 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,716 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 11:15

All we would end up with would be everyone trying to "out-slow" each other in Q3 so that they'd be slowest and start at the front. No thanks.

Edited by UPRC, 22 February 2016 - 12:02.

#50 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 7,870 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 11:18

Clearly Bernie  is begging to be put in a secure home before going in his box.

Sean

Don't forget to put the stake through his heart, before or after he goes in the box. He is like the Mr. Burns of F1...