* * * * * 1 votes

Lewis vs. Nico 2016: The return of the rivalry

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4000 replies to this topic

#1 dreamkillers

dreamkillers

• 79 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 00:46

Hopefully this won't be deleted as it's still the best entertainment on offer...... Claws,Fingernails,arguments and observations at the ready as we head into tommorow..........

Advertisement

#2 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,682 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 01:07

gg no re

#3 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,245 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 01:08

Go LuLu !!!!

#orwhateva

Jp

edit: no apostrophe between V and S.

it's vs

drives me nuts

Edited by jonpollak, 17 March 2016 - 01:10.

#4 FrontWing

FrontWing

• 6,864 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 01:21

Oh no...here we go.

#5 R Soul

R Soul

• 1,639 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 01:39

Rosberg's been working on his blinking in order to give him an edge on Hamilton.

#6 dreamkillers

dreamkillers

• 79 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 02:02

He needs blinkers on those first corners,he turns left as lewis turns right and is done like a kipper every time.Sure hes gonna be more aggressive this year. I expect a final race showdown.

#7 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 8,362 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 02:03

Hopefully this won't be deleted as it's still the best entertainment on offer...

With that being said - Riverside, 007, Nemo, G.C, etc - the floor is yours.

#8 charly0418

charly0418

• 3,289 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 03:13

Don't care who wins, all I ask its that its a close fight all year long pls  :up:

#9 MasterOfCoin

MasterOfCoin

• 5,001 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 03:59

He needs blinkers on those first corners,he turns left as lewis turns right and is done like a kipper every time.Sure hes gonna be more aggressive this year. I expect a final race showdown.

Nothing to do with being aggressive, it's the first lap, he needs to learn to concede the corner earlier. if Ferrari or the other teams were closer last year he probably wouldn't have made those positions back after going wide. 

#10 dreamkillers

dreamkillers

• 79 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 04:53

He needs to win the first corner, you said it yourself 'if Ferrari or other teams were closer 'he'd be struggling 4 sure ,Texas & Japan a prime example. He needs to win the first corner not tuck in like a good boy. You make that statement despite the expectation of Ferrari at least making relative improvements.

Conceding the first corner in modern day F1 is often just giving up on a win. Your saying you can't win it at the start but you can lose it, well Lewis stole a few 1st corners and didn't have negative vibes about it....... Nico needs 1st corner balls.

Time will tell.......

Edited by dreamkillers, 17 March 2016 - 05:08.

#11 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 7,054 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 05:16

[Rivalry? put Ricci in the same car as Hamilton, then we might see an explosive match.

What else could he be? He couldn't beat him in either of their three seasons together. They are still a among the strongest pairing on the grid - if not the strongest, but the order is a given by now. With Riciardo I don't think it would be stronger, but next season it could happen, if Merc does not call in Wehrlein to replace NR instead.

Edited by SophieB, 18 March 2016 - 17:58.

#12 MasterOfCoin

MasterOfCoin

• 5,001 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 05:28

He needs to win the first corner, you said it yourself 'if Ferrari or other teams were closer 'he'd be struggling 4 sure ,Texas & Japan a prime example. He needs to win the first corner not tuck in like a good boy. You make that statement despite the expectation of Ferrari at least making relative improvements.

Conceding the first corner in modern day F1 is often just giving up on a win. Your saying you can't win it at the start but you can lose it, well Lewis stole a few 1st corners and didn't have negative vibes about it....... Nico needs 1st corner balls.

Time will tell.......

What you really should be saying is he needs to win his starts, it really isn't about what he does in the first corner if he has already lost the lead going into the first turn. iv'e seen Lewis and Seb at Monza and Lewis and Nico at A1 and in both cases Lewis and Seb yielded.

#13 lbennie

lbennie

• 5,200 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 05:31

"rivalry"

#14 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 8,750 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 05:47

Rivalry?

Maybe in the minds of the Merc PR department.

#15 Riverside

Riverside

• 3,382 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 06:04

With that being said - Riverside, 007, Nemo, G.C, etc - the floor is yours.

Funny,  I've read you miss Meddo.  :wave:

I personally believe we are in for a good fight right from the first session in OZ.   If Ferrari is competitive ... hmmm... this will certainly mix the cards.

#16 GoldenColt

GoldenColt

• 6,254 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 06:12

I guess we will see a much stronger Nico Rosberg this season. He needs to be on top of his game from the very first qualifying onwards, otherwise Lewis is going to run away with the championship early on again. Although Lewis had him covered in Australia in all the time they have been teammates, I can't tell who is going to come out on top this time. Lewis getting himself into trouble with the police isn't going to make things easier.

#17 CountDooku

CountDooku

• 11,729 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 06:32

Isn't the thread like 18hrs too early?

Well, I think this season is going to be one of tonkination, as Lewis has already achieved what he set out to do in his career and can relax. Lewis is at his best when he has no pressure and can just drive.

Does Nico want it as much? He's married with a beautiful kid and can win tons of races. He's earning millions. Maybe he's content with Lewis winning. It's not like it's something new?

Anyway, here's an interesting take on it. http://www.telegraph...f1-rivalry-wit/

#18 FrontWing

FrontWing

• 6,864 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 06:33

Funny, I've read you miss Meddo. :wave:

I personally believe we are in for a good fight right from the first session in OZ. If Ferrari is competitive ... hmmm... this will certainly mix the cards.

Well the usual suspects are almost all here. :p

I agree with you, things are going to be close this year. Can't believe it's the fourth season of this pairing already.

Got a strange feeling Nico maybe offered a Kimis seat at some point this season...

#19 Zava

Zava

• 7,116 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 06:39

hopefully Nico does it this year, fourth time is the lucky charm...(?) not? whatever.  :lol: and may I never visit this thread again!

Advertisement

#20 FrontWing

FrontWing

• 6,864 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 06:40

Well, I think this season is going to be one of tonkination, as Lewis has already achieved what he set out to do in his career and can relax. Lewis is at his best when he has no pressure and can just drive.

Does Nico want it as much? He's married with a beautiful kid and can win tons of races. He's earning millions. Maybe he's content with Lewis winning. It's not like it's something new?

Anyway, here's an interesting take on it. http://www.telegraph...f1-rivalry-wit/

Nah, Rosberg wants a championship more than anything, it's what he's worked for his entire life.

No idea what's going on with Lewis, whatever he says about achieving his goal is bullsh1t. If he starts losing regularly to Nico all that will go out the window. He isn't winning this season without working his backside off against Nico and probably the Ferrari guys.

Let's not start the 'hungry' debate too soon.

#21 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,702 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 06:45

Yes! I'll reopen it ahead of FP1.

#22 OO7

OO7

• 23,407 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 23:11

We may have to delay the party, as FP1 looks like it might be a washout.

#23 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,288 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 23:26

Interesting that they switched the Chief mechanics and two additional mechanics between the drivers.

http://www.bild.de/s...76294.bild.html

Edit: before someone starts a conspiracy theory, they are doing that in order to reduce the tension between the two mechanic teams and also to keep the pressure high. But very interesting stil.

Edited by Marklar, 17 March 2016 - 23:31.

#24 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 8,362 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 23:33

We may have to delay the party,

Why? The guests of honour are all present.

In all seriousness, the off-season break has done me good. Barely thinking about F1 for 2/3 months has refreshed my batteries, and I'm raring to go for the new season. Hence, why I've been the loudest mouth in the "drivers who deserve more titles" thread this past week. I'm not even that pissed off that my weekend plans have gone to ****, as it means I can catch all the hoopla surrounding the season kickoff. 

It also helps that this season is up in the air. There is a real air of uncertainty attached to this weekend, as no one knows which driver will suit the car more, Generally, it has been Lewis that has mastered the machinery better than Nico, hence the current 3-0 scoreline. However, Nico has had enough success against Lewis (2nd half of 2013, qualifying in 2014, last 3 races of 2015), to keep everyone on their toes. 

Let the rumble commence!

giphy.gif

Edited by sennafan24, 17 March 2016 - 23:33.

#25 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,288 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 23:34

I've missed your gifs so much :)

#26 P123

P123

• 23,959 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 23:40

Interesting that they switched the Chief mechanics and two additional mechanics between the drivers.

http://www.bild.de/s...76294.bild.html

Edit: before someone starts a conspiracy theory, they are doing that in order to reduce the tension between the two mechanic teams and also to keep the pressure high. But very interesting stil.

Interesting indeed. But we did hear the absolute desperation and paranoia in Abu-dabi-doo from the Rosberg side of the garage when Hamilton had a different engine setting for a mere portion of one lap. They've probably wisely broken up a faction that was beginning to see the other side as the enemy. Maybe both Mercs will break down a lot from internal sabotage this season.  ;)

As for the battle, I hope others will get in the mix. I don't think I want to hear somebody complaining that their teammate was driving too slowly whilst they hang back by 2s again.

#27 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 8,362 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 23:46

They make my views seem more tolerable. Anyway, shouldn't you be revising for your exam?. 

Pro tip: Don't get seated behind a friend who's easy on the eye. Trust me, it takes 5 marks off your score

Edited by sennafan24, 17 March 2016 - 23:48.

#28 MasterOfCoin

MasterOfCoin

• 5,001 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 00:00

They make my views seem more tolerable. Anyway, shouldn't you be revising for your exam?. 

Pro tip: Don't get seated behind a friend who's easy on the eye. Trust me, it takes 5 marks off your score

Been sitting next to Cara Delevingne again i see.  :cool:

#29 OO7

OO7

• 23,407 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 00:03

Please don't get him started and it's not even a Hamilton cap on her bonce.

#30 Coral

Coral

• 6,786 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 00:34

The new F1 season is almost upon us. I can't wait! I hope it's a better season than last year's which was a tad boring (apart from Lewis winning the WDC that is!) :D

I don't really care who wins the WDC this year...no, stuff that...GO LEWIS!!! :clap:  :clap:  :clap: 

#31 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 02:55

This weekend sets the tone.

It would be reckless to make assumptions based on one session. I dream of Lewis having a 2 second advantage on his teammate, though.

Edited by SR388, 18 March 2016 - 03:03.

#32 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 8,362 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 03:15

I dream of Lewis

Why doesn't this surprise me?

#33 Boxerevo

Boxerevo

• 3,633 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 03:18

dd24-woodshedrs.jpg

#34 Xeriks

Xeriks

• 1,131 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 03:49

Nico's lifestyle is affecting his driving, 2 seconds off Hamilton's pace already is ridiculous, he needs to focus more on F1 clearly.

#35 Mercstar

Mercstar

• 3,123 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 05:42

Nice to be back, here we go again!

#36 dreamkillers

dreamkillers

• 79 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 06:01

Nico in the wall  lol

Lewis 1 Nico  0 :drunk: in the preamble

Edited by dreamkillers, 18 March 2016 - 06:03.

#37 KingTiger

KingTiger

• 1,895 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 06:03

I can already see Toto forcing both drivers to only use old nose now that Rosberg binned his copy. 

#38 OO7

OO7

• 23,407 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 06:15

Nico's lifestyle is affecting his driving, 2 seconds off Hamilton's pace already is ridiculous, he needs to focus more on F1 clearly.

He stuck in the barrier.

#39 dreamkillers

dreamkillers

• 79 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 06:31

great call Tiger, Lewis is out in the old nose :yawnface:

Advertisement

#40 GoldenColt

GoldenColt

• 6,254 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 06:35

great call Tiger, Lewis is out in the old nose :yawnface:

:rotfl:

Seriously?

#41 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,288 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 06:41

Yeah, and if Lewis is using the new nose and crashes as well then everyone will cry out that Mercedes is stupid to let him out with a new nose under these conditions  :rolleyes: 

#42 GoldenColt

GoldenColt

• 6,254 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 06:45

You have a point. :up:

#43 GoldenColt

GoldenColt

• 6,254 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 07:03

Rosberg looking rattled after that crash. In the past, whenever things didn't go perfectly well in his preparation for a GP, he had considerable drops in performance. Will be interesting to see if that happens again. For now it's looking good for Lewis, but I'm still not so sure about what to expect from tomorrow onwards.

#44 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,288 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 07:06

whenever things didn't go perfectly well in his preparation for a GP, he had considerable drops in performance.

Yeah, that's why he clinched last year at the US GP the pole after he crashed out in the 3rd practice....

#45 Xeriks

Xeriks

• 1,131 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 07:09

Do we think the team would prevent Hamilton from using the new nose if there were no more spares available to Rosberg for equality's sake?

Hamilton would have a meltdown if they try doing it, and rightly so.

#46 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,288 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 07:13

Do we think the team would prevent Hamilton from using the new nose if there were no more spares available to Rosberg for equality's sake?

Hamilton would have a meltdown if they try doing it, and rightly so.

I don't think they would, if so then they would admit that Ferrari is no danger at all. And furthermore it was Rosbergs own fault anyway, so this makes the equality's sake argument null and void.

Furthermore...

Tobi Grüner @tgruener

After Rosberg shunt Mercedes now has only 2 new noses left. Toto Wolff told us a third one will arrive by air freight this night. #AMuS #F1

Edited by Marklar, 18 March 2016 - 07:14.

#47 GoldenColt

GoldenColt

• 6,254 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 07:17

Yeah, that's why he clinched last year at the US GP the pole after he crashed out in the 3rd practice....

Exceptions prove the rule.  ;)

#48 Denaris

Denaris

• 317 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 07:33

I would have to disagree with that. I think the opposite it true actually, he seems to get better the more the odds are stacked against him. The pressure was off after Austin last year and he lost his edge as there was nothing to fight for. Now look at what happened after Spa '14, everything was stacked against him and he came back stronger than ever. I think this is a trait that has always been there to a greater or lesser degree throughout the years.

#49 maverick69

maverick69

• 5,975 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 07:38

Nah. Nico always seems to bounce back mentally...... It's just the Hamilton is the better overall racing driver.

#50 GrumpyYoungMan

GrumpyYoungMan

• 7,005 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 07:48

He only led in 2014 due to reliability... ...and not outright pace...