Photo

1950 Altcar Sprint on the 14th October

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,555 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 08:47

A collection of 12 rather tiny photos were passed to me last night of the above event. The photographer had written on the back details of car & driver and also on the album pages. Some of these captions were at odds.

Anyone out there have any details of this event which appears to feature Phil Scragg (Jaguar XK120), Gillie Tyler (Frazer-Nash BMW), and K.H. Downing driving two cars (a Connaught two seater and a Healey Saloon).

Advertisement

#2 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,051 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 09:12

Julian Hunt, in Motorsport Explorer, tells us the first speed trials at Altcar were "in October 1950 attracting an entry of 63 cars. Peter Collins, in his first season of motorsport, set BTD in his 1260cc Cooper-JAP with 14.6 sec on each run"

Oh and if you didn't know, Altcar was in Lancashire in grid square SD2904

#3 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,555 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 09:09

Thanks Allan - I know where Altcar is as I used to shoot there regularly with Southport & District Rifle Club. From the photos and memory I have worked out roughly where on the camp the 'sprint' was situated. Does Motorsport Explorer show a track layout?

#4 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,592 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 09:41

There's no track map, just this description:

The quarter-mile (402m) straight-line speed trial course with wide grass verges each side was a service road built to serve the ranges. The straight was also part of a half-mile (804.7m) narrow motorcycle circuit used between 1947 and 1955.

#5 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,555 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 06:58

Thanks Tim; through an old friend who spotted one of my appeals there should be an entry list winging its way to me shortly! The wonders of t'internet.

:wave:

#6 RobMk2a

RobMk2a

• 262 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 09:30

Stephen,

Can you please let me know if any TVR's are listed as being entered. Trevor Wilkinson is supposed to have competed in some local sprints in his first prototypes. FYI he lived at Lytham St Anne's.

Thanks Rob

Edited by RobMk2a, 26 October 2016 - 09:35.

#7 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,555 posts

Posted 29 October 2016 - 08:55

Unfortunately no TVRs.

#8 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 29 October 2016 - 10:59

Quick question Rob. When did he start calling his specials TVRs?

#9 RobMk2a

RobMk2a

• 262 posts

Posted 29 October 2016 - 15:11

John,

Good question, I understand from Brian Whittaker (Barbon archivist) Trevor Wilkinson entered a 1200cc TVR at Barbon May 1953. The first article in Autosport on the TVR Sports Saloon prototype is 6th August 1954.

Photographs in Filby's book show the first prototype EFV 748 was completed in 1949 this appears to have a bonnet badge it may say TVR but the photo is not that clear. It is reported by Filby that a local enthusiast bought the 2nd car just as a rolling chassis but Les Dale also completed the body work (Les completed the bodywork for the first three cars). This is supposed to have been completed Mid 1950. I guess this car may not have been called a TVR. Trevor Wilkinson was a member of Blackpool and Fylde Car Club and he is supposed to have competed in local sprints / hillclimbs in the 3rd car 1952/3. It would be good to find programmes / entry lists to confirm.

Stephen W has confirmed the only entry at Altcar in 1950 with 1172cc engine is F Pinckney Harrison in a FHN Special in the racing car class. The first TVR's are cycle wing 2 seat sports cars so unless the wings were taken off I wouldn't have thought they would be classed as racing cars. Does anyone know anything about Pinckney Harrison.

Edit I've just found a post saying Frank Harrison built the FHN from a GN chassis so not the car I'm looking for.

Rob

Edited by RobMk2a, 29 October 2016 - 16:02.

#10 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 29 October 2016 - 21:51

I know about the FHN Special, it was built and owned by Frank Harrison who had a small garage close to Catterick Camp. It was a GN chassis plus an E93a engine with a cabin blower attached blowing at about 24psi. Chain drive naturally, Frank said I could race it if I could get into it, quite safe of course as I was 6 feet 31/2 inches tall and he was about 5 feet 6 inches and weighed about 9 stone soaking wet. He was also a pal of (or an ex employee of) Freddie Dixon. I encountered him in 1956 when I was first  coerced into Royal Signals and Frank became a good friend, taking me off to various Motor Club events and hill climbs etc, as well as subsidising my beer! As an aside his road car was a fearsome beast, an SS1 with a 31/2 Jaguar engine installed, very uncertain handling and none existent brakes. Oh for my youth again  :well:  :well: