• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 HistoryBuff

HistoryBuff

• 116 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 20:50

I found a great well illustrated description in a Bonhams listing

https://www.bonhams..../17327/lot/253/

when they sold it but can't figure out , one you are at their website, how you know what year a sale took place.

Anyway I have seen this  car in person at Rennfest V (where it was owned by a famous collector who does something for Disney, maybe handles investments for the family)  and can't figure out why the restorer wanted it so badly when by that time the Speedster was already on the market.

Maybe he had an early apprciation  for Porsche history.

The Bonhams' history says  that it was not until the early 1980s that it surfaced at a sale in Atlanta and was spotted by Charles Coker. Coker sent expert Gary Kempton to look at the car for him, who recognized what he was dealing with and wisely guided Coker to buy the car.

Later on Kempton had "buyer's remorse" or should I say scout's remorse and bought the car from Coker, trading a passel of Carrera 356s. (which doesn't sound like a good deal by today's values of 356 Carreras...) But what I'd like to hear is what Coker bought it for or what the price was at any time (maybe advertised in Road & Track( while it changed hands before Coker got it.