Vale Jean Argetsinger

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,429 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 22:53

Sadly it had to happen... from the IMRRC:

Jean Argetsinger, Research Center Founder, Pillar of American Road Racing, Dies Monday

Jean Argetsinger, the matriarch of early American road racing and a leader in the creation of the International Motor Racing Research Center, died Monday, Jan. 16.

Jean Argetsinger hosts racing legend Sir Jackie Stewart at the opening of the International Motor Racing Research Center in June 1999. Jean Argetsinger was a founder of the IMRRC.

Jean was a true partner to her late husband, Cameron R. Argetsinger, who is credited with the re-birth of road racing in the United States after World War II. In establishing Watkins Glen as one of the most important racing venues in the world, Jean Argetsinger was at the forefront in hospitality, publicity and community involvement.

Jean Argetsinger served on the IMRRC Governing Council from its inception.

It was a delight to me to meet Jean at the family farm in 2014, when Michael took me to see her and his brother, Sam.

Sadly, all three are now gone, but I also had the privilege of visiting with her briefly during my last trip in June.

She will be sorely missed, my condolences to the family and the IMRRC people.

Advertisement

#2 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,483 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 02:42

Oh No, that's terrible news. That family's had a really rough streak, Life can be so unfair.

RIP.

Edited by E1pix, 19 January 2017 - 02:57.

#3 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 2,468 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 02:44

Sincere condolences to the Argetsinger family. She was a true pioneer and patron of American racing.

#4 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 2,821 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 03:55

Sad news

#5 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,429 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 06:57

Indeed, a hard couple of years...

Sam went first, which bit deeply with Michael as Sam was such a down-to-earth guy and was very much a part of the family vineyard. Then Michael after a very long battle with cancer.

And it's not all that many years since Cameron died either.

Duke, one of the other brothers, was living at the farm taking care of Jean after Sam's death.

#6 DCapps

DCapps

• 885 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 15:06

Although her death was not entirely unexpected thanks to her fragile health in recent years, the passing of Jean Argetsinger was still something that truly hit home.

There were very good reasons why we created and named the Jean S. Argetsinger Symposium for International Motor Racing History in her honor.

Typically modest, this past November she requested that the symposium be changed to honor the memory of her son Mike, which we, of course, complied with her wishes.

Without Jean Argetsinger, it is doubtful that the International Motor Racing Research Center would exist; although it was certainly the work of many, including John & Peggy Bishop, her husband Cameron, her son Mike, and others, it was Jean who was the driving force and who turned it into a reality.

I think that I can speak for those Jean recruited for her various endeavors: we never stood a chance once she drew a bead on us....

I will certainly miss Jean, just as I do Cameron, Sam, and especially Mike.

#7 B Squared

B Squared

• 7,387 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 17:11

Mrs. Argetsinger's obituary shows the many contributions during her stellar life.

http://vedderandscot...l#content-start

I would have posted sooner, but have been bedridden this week. Apologies for the delay. Through Michael, I feel like I became part of their family and I will treasure them always.

#8 SKL

SKL

• 1,423 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 23:39

Quite the family-  a great legacy.     Many years ago I was pulling the trailer into a spot at Blackhawk Farms in Illinois for a SCCA race with my Spec Miata.  I went to introduce myself to the competitor next to me - it turned out to be Michael Argetsinger himself!    I surely recognized the name!  Saw him at several other races over the years- always very friendly, and we always had lots to talk about.  Even found out his wife was a radiologist, as am I.

RIP.