Photo

David Good - RIP

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 19:57

Very sorry to hear from Marcus Pye of the passing of David Good, the 1961 RAC British Hillclimb Champion.
Having been born without a right forearm, he was unable to obtain a racing licence so began a career on the hills, starting with the ex-Dick Seaman/Billy Cotton ERA R1B progressing through numerous cars and categories, winning the championship with his Cooper-JAP Mk 8 in 1961. Recently, he became involved with Guy and Rod Spollon in promoting the Chateau Impney Revival, having won the first sprint meeting at the venue in 1957. A genial and friendly gentleman whose unassuming character belied his considerable achievements behind the wheel. A great loss to the world of motor sport
16299344_1832905916981338_44076560098975

Advertisement

#2 IanMH

IanMH

• 186 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 20:43

I remember David coming to Doune many times...I didn't know him to speak to but was aware of his disability...his driving skills were amazing considering,...sad to hear :cry: Ian

#3 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,712 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 07:56

Condolences to Mr Good's family and friends.

#4 john aston

john aston

• 2,718 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 08:17

How extraordinary- I was only writing something about DG  a day or so ago. I push started his cars many times at Harewood and have fond memories of when he brought the start line team a whole stack of Ski yoghurts ; he was sponsored by them and I think owned the firm ? Anyway . it was the first and last time I have had a snack delivered in a F5000 McLaren . Always  took the trouble to thank us for our efforts - unlike more than  one of his contemporaries.  

#5 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 08:20

Interesting, know nothing of the man, but to say he was allowed to race on tight, narrow tracks that are inherently more dangerous you might think than race tracks is rather ridiculous. Surely there is very little difference, I mean have you seen Doune, blatting up there in an ERA is far more scary than anything you could do on any race track lol! I can't see a reason for the ban other than the fact climbs are shorter. But no less demanding on that kid of disability.

But it seemed to hinder him not and I imagine he was rather pleased to win a big championship. ANd was clearly a character and a bit of an example to many.

Wonder what would happen now, knowing our MSA< probably exactly the same thing!

Edited by chunder27, 31 January 2017 - 08:25.

#6 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,612 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 08:41

Interesting, know nothing of the man, but to say he was allowed to race on tight, narrow tracks that are inherently more dangerous you might think than race tracks is rather ridiculous. Surely there is very little difference, I mean have you seen Doune, blatting up there in an ERA is far more scary than anything you could do on any race track lol! I can't see a reason for the ban other than the fact climbs are shorter. But no less demanding on that kid of disability.

But it seemed to hinder him not and I imagine he was rather pleased to win a big championship. ANd was clearly a character and a bit of an example to many.

Wonder what would happen now, knowing our MSA< probably exactly the same thing!

I think the consideration was for other competitors, on hillclimbs and in sprints you run one at a time so will not crash into someone else. I think the RAC at the time would have considered David's handicap to have hampered his ability to control the car in close racing. Several circuit racers have had their licenses downgraded when they had serious injuries. The MSA who now control the sport have a duty of care and in our litigious society would probably make the same decision.

#7 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,055 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 08:47

I remember him in his Cooper at Westbrook Hay and Great Auclum and at a Hants & Berks club night. Very pleasant man as has been said.

Chunder27 misses the point which was that a Speed Licence permitted the holder to expose only himself to danger, whereas to hold a Race Licence implies that you are going to involve others. Even so, had DG been determined to race, Archie Scott Brown's history shows it could have been possible.

ETA being typed while Stephen's post was posted!

Edited by Allan Lupton, 31 January 2017 - 08:48.

#8 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 09:42

I do not really miss the point at all, I merely wondered what on earth is the difference, there is a duty to the competitor aswell as others surely! But I do now see method in the process back then.

Either way, sounds a fantastic story and pretty inspirational, though I doubt the guy concerned would think there was anything notable about what he was doing, they rarely do!!

#9 Robin Fairservice

Robin Fairservice

• 599 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 16:43

I met David Good in 1961 in his office at the Holyport Dairy near to Maidenhhead. Our discussions were concerning where to position a sewer connection for his business; but I was able to ask him about his racing!  I have a black & White picture of him driving in Cooper 1100 cc on the Great Auclum Hill Climb in the same year.  I greatly admire people like him who can overcome adversity to do things that I can't do!

#10 Robin Fairservice

Robin Fairservice

• 599 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 19:08

I manged to get a link posted of my picture of David Good at the Great Auclum hill climb:

https://s28.postimg....clum_Hill_C.jpg

Edited by Robin Fairservice, 31 January 2017 - 19:10.

#11 Dick Dastardly

Dick Dastardly

• 900 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 22:28

I remember David in his red Ski sponsored McLaren M10B at Barbon in 1970, which he won.
Obviously he couldn't use the gear lever in its usual position on the right, so it had been transferred to his left
...so whilst changing gear he had to hold the wheel with the stump of his right arm (no paddle shifts in those days).....
RIP David

Edited by Dick Dastardly, 01 February 2017 - 00:12.

#12 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 07:30

Another photo here:

https://revslib.stan...tem/ns753fx6041

Vince H.

#13 tsrwright

tsrwright

• 582 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 11:05

Please can someone tell me how to post this image here -  David at  Brunton but not sure of the date. Lovely man, so sorry he has gone.

https://postimg.cc/image/4d1kp08fz/

(Duncan Rabagliati collection photo)

Edited by tsrwright, 01 February 2017 - 11:16.

#14 tsrwright

tsrwright

• 582 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 11:19

13_Cooper_Photos_14020.jpg

Seem to have managed it. With the photo displayed in Post Image,  click on "Share" and use the "direct link" url ending with ".jpg: Then you post however nothing will appear. Then you edit and go to "Use full editor" and "Submit  modified post". If you edit but don't use the full editor the pic will disappear. Makes sense doesn't it? :clap:

Edited by tsrwright, 01 February 2017 - 11:41.

#15 Rupertlt1

Rupertlt1

• 3,079 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 11:24

All-time Firle Hill Climb record holder:

David Good

#170 BRM P67 4wd 2.0-litre 

22.78 sec R

BARC South Eastern

28 May 1967

RGDS RLT

#16 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,712 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 11:26

Please can someone tell me how to post this image here - David at Brunton but not sure of the date. Lovely man, so sorry he has gone.

https://postimg.cc/image/4d1kp08fz/

13_Cooper_Photos_14020.jpg

Click on your link, click Share button, copy Hot liink for forums code, paste code in to forum reply and to keep it ship shape and brissle fashion I delete all the code either side of the (img) (/img), then press add reply, once uploaded you will need to press the refresh button in your url box to actually see your uploaded pic :-)

Edited by arttidesco, 01 February 2017 - 17:11.

#17 Rupertlt1

Rupertlt1

• 3,079 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 11:31

I managed to get a link posted of my picture of David Good at the Great Auclum hill climb:

https://s28.postimg....clum_Hill_C.jpg

#85, Saturday 12 August 1961.

RGDS RLT

#18 tsrwright

tsrwright

• 582 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 11:44

Thanks arttidesco :up:

Seems there are a few ways of doing it.

T

#19 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 15:27

David at  Brunton but not sure of the date. Lovely man, so sorry he has gone.

Immaculately turned out, as ever, as were all David's cars. The shot clearly shows how he applied his foreshortened arm to steady the wheel