Photo

David Render RIP

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,325 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 08:22

I received very sad news on Tuesday that David very sadly had passed away. It was not my place to say earlier, but now I've seen it mentioned on social media I thought you would all like to know.
Those of you that met him would know what a remarkable person he was, from his time in the army, his work career, his hillclimbing and road rallies, his RAC stewarding, his work with Harefield hospital and more importantly a great family man and great friend.
I will never be able to express my thanks to him for helping our family through some very tough times and it was always a pleasure to see him and I'm very honoured to have gone to his 90th birthday and seen the joy he had brought to so many people.
His funeral is on the 21st March and whilst I do know the details of where and when, I do not know if it is open to all yet.

Edited by Gregor Marshall, 10 March 2017 - 08:24.

Advertisement

#2 Andrew Fellowes

Andrew Fellowes

• 753 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 08:39

So very helpful when I was trying to understand which Brabhams he had, condolences to family and friends.

#3 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,622 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 08:47

Damn damn damn. In the last few years David twice came down to Bristol to give a talk to our motor club. The first was on his motor sport career, which was impressive enough. The second was on his experiences as the commander of a group of tanks during the invasion of Europe in 1944-45. His self-deprecating, matter-of-fact description of this period really brought home to me how much we today owe to him and his comrades.

As Gregor says, he was a true gentleman of the old school, who took the trouble to write and thank me for the reports I wrote on his talks in our club magazine. I'm very glad to have known him.

#4 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,249 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 08:49

A fine ambassador for speed eventing - and the sport as a whole.

And a veteran of the Normandy Beach landings too.

I remember his birthday being celebrated in the paddock at Gurston; that must have been his 65th, I think.

Edited by 2F-001, 10 March 2017 - 08:50.

#5 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,053 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 09:21

He came to our local Club a few years ago to give his talk on his war time service in tanks - I'd have the same comments as Tim's.

Decades ago he was one of our regular sprint competitors and I remember his typical solution when there was a clash of dates with sprints at Bassingbourn and Duxford on the same day - he entered both (in different cars) and on the day had one car scrutineered and practiced in it, then motored the 10 miles to the other venue where his other car had been scrutineered so was ready for him to practice. He stayed to do his timed runs, then nipped back to the first venue to do the timed runs there!

On another occasion I remember him using a Lotus GP car, on loan from Colin Chapman, for a Bassingbourn sprint. Talk about overkill!

#6 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,249 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 09:34

That was the Lotus 76, wasn't it? Did he also run that at Curborough?

#7 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,608 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 09:45

David Render was a fantastic character. His Army exploits and his love of fast cars made him a great raconteur. Through his company Warcrete  he was able to help various clubs and championships over the years. On the driving front his links to Colin Chapman saw a succession of F1 Lotus being used mainly in sprinting. He was British Sprint Champion in 1986 at the wheel of the Pilbeam MP50/01 Hart.

Edited by Stephen W, 10 March 2017 - 09:46.

#8 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,053 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 09:46

That was the Lotus 76, wasn't it? Did he also run that at Curborough?

Yes now you remind me - never was much good with Lotus type numbers. He ran it for most of whichever season it was and I'm sure he did Brighton in it, but otherwise I can't say but may well have included Curborough.

#9 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,249 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 09:54

It seemed evident to me, as a non-competitior, that David was loved as well as respected throughout the paddock. I think that says a lot about him.

#10 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,608 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 10:07

David Render actually had the loan of two GP Lotus from Colin Chapman.

In 1978 he ran the Lotus 76 at 12 of the 14 rounds of the British Sprint Championship (Rd 1 Longridge; Rd 2 Yeovilton; Rd 3 Oulton Park; Rd 4 Upwood; Rd 5 Curborough; Rd 6 Wellesbourne; Rd 8 Blackpool; Rd 9 Wroughton; Rd 10 Upwood; Rd 11 Oulton Park; Rd 12 Brighton and Rd 13 Wroughton)

In 1978 he ran the Lotus 77 at just 3 British Sprint Rounds (Rd 7 Blackpool; Rd 8 Wellesbourne and Rd 13 Talbenny)

Edited by Stephen W, 11 March 2017 - 10:02.

#11 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,710 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 10:27

Like Tim I was privileged to see David talk twice, on his racing and Sherwood Rangers experience and he came across a very modest man given in considerable achievements and numerous awards which included a Legion d'honneur last year.

Sincerest condolences to David's family and many friends.

#12 backfire

backfire

• 118 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 18:54

Yes, David definitely appeared at Curborough in the Lotus 76, I was competing there that Sunday. Great character, nice bloke, sad loss.

#13 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,548 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 19:14

One of the broadly unsung great characters of our sport.  Condolences to his family and many friends, of course.

DCN

#14 TonyCotton

TonyCotton

• 65 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 22:09

David's funeral was held today and was a fitting tribute to a great supporter of speed events, a much loved friend and family man, and a brave soldier. A man who, even at 92, had more energy and determination than almost anybody I know. Although an occasion for mourning the loss of a friend it was also a joyful celebration of happy memories, with much of the sprint paddock of the 1980s and 1990s present. Particularly touching was the Last Post and Reveille played by a Sherwood Rangers bugler, and the stunning sight outside the reception, thanks to Clive Chapman, of the ex-Andretti Lotus 77 David drove marked up with his name. David would have been proud, if self effacing.

#15 DouglasM

DouglasM

• 91 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 07:39

'On another occasion I remember him using a Lotus GP car, on loan from Colin Chapman, for a Bassingbourn sprint. Talk about overkill!' I also remember that and he had a TV showing a Grand Prix. I'm still envious! RIP a great bloke.