Photo

Big John ...

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#1 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,917 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 16:05

Sad news that I am reading, John Surtees has passed away. I watched him race so often, another driver from the classic age has departed, outstanding achievements too.

Advertisement

#2 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 2,468 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 16:09

A long life, well lived. Condolences to the Surtees family.

From a personal perspective, he won the first race I ever attended, the 1963 12 Hours of Sebring, which I believe was his maiden start for the Scuderia, as well. He generously spent a good 20 minutes reminiscing about it in the paddock at Revival a few years ago.

He will be missed.

#3 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,808 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 16:20

Good speed, il grande John.

#4 wolf sun

wolf sun

• 842 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 16:21

R.I.P il grande John.

#5 group7

group7

• 548 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 16:21

My condolences to his family,  as said in the first post, another of our great ones gone.

A number of years a ago he appeared here in Toronto, Canada at a Ferrari event, happily signed the pile of books I put in front of him, with an interesting comment on each photo. In particular when I had him sign a photo of he and Jim Hall with the Chaparral 2H in 1969 his comment was "not exactly a meeting of the minds !"

Also saw him race many times.

Michael.     :(

as mentioned by Hamish below, I will treasure the photo of he and I as he signs those books.

Edited by group7, 10 March 2017 - 16:29.

#6 Kpy

Kpy

• 1,259 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 16:22

Sad news.

A great talent on two wheels and four. Irreplaceable.

#7 Hamish Robson

Hamish Robson

• 389 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 16:26

He achieved so much in life and is rightly a quiet hero to many.

I met him once at a karting event at Buckmore Park and he was utterly charming. The picture of me with him is now even more treasured.

RIP Big John

Edited by Hamish Robson, 10 March 2017 - 16:27.

#8 Manfred Cubenoggin

Manfred Cubenoggin

• 979 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 16:28

I grieve this loss.  A giant and legend in his own time.

#9 MCS

MCS

• 4,702 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 16:34

A true great.  The first driver I asked for an autograph - he duly obliged and I am pleased I can remember it still so vividly.

He wasn't dealt too many good hands by Lady Luck down the years and it must have rankled with him that he didn't achieve more as a Grand Prix constructor.  Fundamentally wrong that he never received the knighthood he so deserved.

#10 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,480 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 16:36

Oh, that's awful news.

We in the States mostly connected with him as the first Can-Am champion, and forever the only person to take a title from McLaren in their seven years in the Series. Also memorably at home, one of his F5000 cars came second in the 1971 Continental (F5000) Championship here against the might of McLaren and their M10B.

Rest Well, Hero. :-(

#11 kissTheApex

kissTheApex

• 635 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 16:45

RIP...

:cry: :cry:

#12 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,622 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 16:48

This is devastating news. I hope knickerbrook won't mind me quoting his lovely post in the motorcycle forum, as it expresses my thoughts much better than I can right now:

R.I.P. Sir - although this honour was not officially bestowed upon you, you will always remain a knight in the eyes of motor racing enthusiasts throughout the world and respected as a giant among sportsmen.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

#13 John Ginger

John Ginger

• 224 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 17:01

Such sad unexpected news

So many achievements in an unparalleled life and career

My condolences 

R.I.P. Big John 

#14 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,966 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 17:03

This is devastating news. I hope knickerbrook won't mind me quoting his lovely post in the motorcycle forum, as it expresses my thoughts much better than I can right now:

Well said, and what dreadful news to come across on getting back to my computer after a couple of hours doing more productive things. :cry:   Both my dad and I are saddened; me from Sir John's exploits in Formula 1 and sports prototypes, my father from his lve of motorcycles and motorcycle sport.  It's overcast and gloomy here in Norfolk this afternnon after a sunny morning and somehow that seems to reflect todays' developments.  R.I.P Il Grande John.

#15 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,249 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 17:19

What sad news. And unexpected; he’s been an all-round hero for so long one might have almost thought he was eternal - though, of course, in a sense he is, such are his achievements.

Just a few years ago, a small group of us were his guests at the Autosport Show (in relation to the Henry Surtees Foundation) and had a leisurely and chatty breakfast with him at the hotel first. He was alert, astute and strong-minded (as one would have expected) but thoroughly and naturally charming too and a jolly good host. I feel very privileged to have spent those hours in his company. The terms 'legend' and 'icon' are often used frivolously, but they probably apply to this great 'statesman' of the sport.

As for the lack of the ‘top honour’… well, the people who know, those who matter, honour him just the same. That will have to do.

Edited by 2F-001, 10 March 2017 - 17:20.

#16 GMiranda

GMiranda

• 1,184 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 17:26

RIP John Surtees :cry:

#17 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,710 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 17:27

01_IMG_9089sc.jpg

I was exceptionally privileged to meet the only man to win world championships on two wheels and four a couple of years ago.

08_IMG_9154sc.jpg

Condolences to his family, many friends and fans.

RIP Figlio Del Vento

#18 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,511 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 17:47

I never met him but his achievements as rider, driver and constructor were immense - on four wheels far greater than a cursory examination of results might suggest.  I also hope that his recent work for charity through the Henry Surtees Foundation will not be forgotten and can be continued in some way.

#19 D28

D28

• 2,040 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 17:48

Sad news indeed. Saw John come 2nd in the very first F1 race I attended,and he was driving a white and blue Ferrari. He went on to his World Championship a few weeks later in Mexico.  John was very well regarded in N America and will be sorely missed.

Advertisement

#20 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,548 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 17:53

Just heard.  

Rest easy Warrior...

Sincerest condolences to Jane, Leonora and Edwina - and to all this great sportsman's other relatives, friends...and fans.

Immortal in our minds.

DCN

#21 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,203 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 17:58

Earlier today I was reminded that it is already 14 years since we lost Barry Sheene - and now Fast John! :wave: Have a nice match race in heaven...

#22 PRD

PRD

• 508 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 18:12

A sad day, another hero slipped away

Condolences to his family

RIP il grande John

#23 Alan Baker

Alan Baker

• 201 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 18:26

Very sad and unexpected news.

Never achieved as much on four wheels as his talent deserved, perhaps because he always seemed to do it the hard way.

John the Great indeed. RIP.

#24 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 18:48

I did not know Sir John, (always will be to me sorry)

But my life intertwined with his extremely briefly one rain day at Goodwood years ago.

I was taking cover with my Dad and uncle, agape at a 154 Merc in front of me, when from behind a voice asked if I could excuse myself. As i did a doddery old man walked past in leathers and we all moved out of the way

But I recognised the white helmet with the blue stripe. I told my Dad and uncle and they were as staggered as I was. "that was John Surtees!!"

He got on a BMW boxer bike, bombed up the hill in the pouring rain, then later on blatted up the same hill in a lovely Mercedes, can't remember which one, it doesn't matter, but he gave it the berries, unlike so many people that day.

He did not get the recognition he deserved among many. But for those that really understood what he did, he clearly did. He reacted in the most incredible way when his son died not long ago, and that I believe shows the true merit of the man. A racer through and through and a man who lived his live properly and with the utmost politeness and vigour.

Edited by chunder27, 10 March 2017 - 18:50.

#25 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,622 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 18:59

Tonight's BBC news played a clip of him speaking, in which he said that what was most important in his life was not satisfying other people but satisfying himself. I sincerely hope that in the end he was able to feel not too dissatisfied with what he'd achieved.

#26 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,572 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 19:05

Very sorry to hear this and it seemed rather sudden too. When I worked with Steve Holter at FOM, in 98 (I think) John used to demo the 1955 Fangio Mercedes before a select few Grands Prix. At one of them, Hockenheim I think, I managed to collar him as he brought the car into the back paddock after a run. There was no-one around but the two of us as he switched off and got out of the car. I asked him how the car was and with full eye contact he replied 'It's fantastic'. I proceeded to get his autograph and wished him a good weekend, he returned the compliments. I have posted this here before, but here's a little video I produced a few years ago of one of the Edenbridge Fun days ;

#27 fuzzi

fuzzi

• 583 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 19:05

John and his family lived only a couple of miles away from here and I saw him occasionally in local shops.

Lingfield parish church holds a remembrance service each year in early November for people who have lost loved ones in the last 12 months to take a moment. Sometime ago we attended after my Father-in Law died and sitting across the aisle from us was Mr & Mrs Surtees, it was the year that they lost Henry.   

A great rider and driver who made a lot of people hurry.

Edited by fuzzi, 10 March 2017 - 19:08.

#28 FLB

FLB

• 30,354 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 19:32

Il Grande John was one of the few men that Enzo Ferrari asked more than once to drive his cars. So great was the opinion that Ferrari of his former driver as an engineer that he asked him to race one of his 512S in 1970 to try and sort it out, despite what happened in 1966.

#29 Paul Parker

Paul Parker

• 2,198 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 19:47

A unique person and a wonderful talent, I watched him many times in period as a teenager and he really was something very special.

Alas we are all mortal, RIP.

#30 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,400 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 19:55

I saw him race twice, both times in Australian Grands Prix...

His car was garaged at Gary Campbell's Provincial Motors for the second of these and I gravitated there after practice. For quite a while I was talking to him about his racing days.

He had in the earlier years been the closest thing I've had to a hero in motor racing. Is he not still on my avatar?

I winced as people ran him down for the way he ran Team Surtees. And I smiled every time someone told me how quickly he drove old cars at events like Goodwood, he was still a bit of a hero. I was very much looking forward to talking to him at length about his participation at Warwick Farm for our book.

So sudden, so soon, so much of a loss.

#31 Vicuna

Vicuna

• 1,607 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 20:00

A bit choked up to wake up and read this in Kiwiland.

He won our first Grand Prix at Pukekohe and it was there, 21 years ago, we watched him back on his beloved bikes as a charming, witty guest of the local Historic Motor Cycling club.

#32 Robin Fairservice

Robin Fairservice

• 599 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 20:27

So sad to hear the passing another of my schoolboy heroes.  I flagged at Brands Hatch in the 1950's and 1960's, and often saw him race.  One year in was racing the V12 Honda F1 car, and I asked him how it was going, and received a quite detailed response.  For the same race I also had the experience of controlling the pit exit at Brands for F 1 practice.  John was in and out of the pits with the V12 Honda, and on most occasions I had to hold him because of traffic.  Each time he left at full throttle and deafened me.  I am surprised that I still have any hearing!  On another occasion I was flagging on the approach to Clearways for a Guards Trophy race for unlimited sports cars.  On the first lap a storm broke and Bruce Mclaren went off, but John just kept going as if it was dry.  He was amazing in that race with a big Lola.

Great memories of a great driver 

#33 Leif Snellman

Leif Snellman

• 1,136 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 20:34

R.I.P.

#34 Dick Dastardly

Dick Dastardly

• 897 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 20:46

RIP "Sir" John...at least, he'll be with Henry now.

Condolences to his family and friends.

#35 Macca

Macca

• 3,731 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 20:53

Terrible news to read on a dismal foggy afternoon at work.

For me as for others, he will always be Sir John. Such a fast driver/rider and such an enthusiast.

RIP and deepest sympathy to his family.

Paul M

#36 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,572 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 20:54

an idea; Ferrari to put John's name on their cars for the first Grand Prix of this year? Might show a little respect.

#37 ensign14

ensign14

• 62,128 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 20:58

27288280506_63641b795b_c.jpg

#38 effinalfa

effinalfa

• 6 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 21:14

Indeed a sad day, only a few weeks ago watched a video of him still treasuring the machinery and moments in his life.

Thank you Mr Surtees from a man who as a young teenager eagerly awaited news of your exploits and victories, and someone you never disappointed.

Condolences to family and close friends.

#39 Claudio Navonne

Claudio Navonne

• 180 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 21:22

Sad news :-(

Advertisement

#40 HairyScalextrix

HairyScalextrix

• 493 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 21:27

A legend and a gentleman. My thoughts are with his family and friends.

#41 Coral

Coral

• 6,870 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 21:38

Oh no, such sad news. :cry:

RIP John...thoughts are with his family and friends. :(

#42 GTMRacer

GTMRacer

• 118 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 21:41

Sad, sad day. A true racer. So few survived that era, even fewer are now left.

#43 Peter0Scandlyn

Peter0Scandlyn

• 727 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 21:42

One of the first racers I can recall following from back in the 50's.

Very sad; not too many left now.

#44 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,227 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 22:09

I feel very fortunate that I met John Surtees a couple of times at recent Goodwood FoS's - that event and the Revival have lost one of their star turns.

I remember in 2010 that he was surrounded, naturally, by heaps of autograph hunters/fans. Someone was haranguing him (to be fair, it was his job to) to come inside the Drivers Club so that John had enough time to unwind before his next time out on the track. John said "Not until I've signed for everyone". And that's what he did - once satisfied everyone had what they wanted, then he went in. Pure class.

I always was struck by what a honourable, decent man he was at these events, but he didn't seem to me to be the same person once Henry died, even if it gave him a fire in his belly to honour Henry's legacy, which in turn, may end up being Big John's greatest legacy.

Although it is as a driver and rider that he will be feted for the most, especially as he inspired many, and although the tales of him as a team manager are somewhat mixed at best, it's worth remembering his team and some of the beautiful cars they created as well as the fact that some drivers got their chance only through Surtees.

Condolences to family and friends. RIP.

#45 dolomite

dolomite

• 1,184 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 22:39

RIP :-( Happy to have been able to witness the great man in action at Goodwood FoS.

2919AFF0-4ADD-4A2B-A94E-580E75D2EECB_zps

EA22BA81-9C69-4571-BF40-01ACA88A02B8_zps

7E861492-F7DA-4C75-8C95-F3B4332A0556_zps

Edited by dolomite, 10 March 2017 - 22:41.

#46 AAA-Eagle

AAA-Eagle

• 1,044 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 22:47

Very sad news :cry: :cry: :cry:

He will be greatly missed and fondly remembered by all of us...

R.I.P. John :cry:

#47 ozpata

ozpata

• 755 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 23:02

He will be  missed

RIP John Surtees

JSur_Firma2sm_zps6lwbw5hx.png

#48 RogerFrench

RogerFrench

• 688 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 23:50

Farewell Big John. A real champion, 2 wheels or 4.

#49 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,095 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 01:54

John was a little underrated but the achievments say it all. On both bikes and cars

There is a nice talk with him fairly recently that is on Speedcafe. Though I am sure that a YouTube search will find it.

#50 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 2,820 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 03:52

Sad news