Photo

50th Anniversary of the F1 Canadian Grand Prix

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 LionelB

LionelB

• 12 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 21:59

As you may know, 2017 marks the 50th. Anniversary of the Canadian Grand Prix (F1), and the following might be of interest to readers of this forum in eastern Canada and the U.S.

To commemorate this milestone, The International Motor Racing Research Centre (IMRRC) at Watkins Glen, New York, will be devoting one of its "Conversations" to this topic, namely, "50 years of the Canadian Grand Prix", on Saturday, June 24. The panel discussion will begin at 1:00PM.

I have been greatly honoured by being invited to be a panelist for this event, and will share the stage with George Webster - a fellow Canadian motorsport journalist from the "early years" - and Tim Meddaugh, who was a corner worker at many Canadian events.

Many of my historic photos - dating back to the first Canadian GP in 1967 - will illustrate the panel's discussion, and many more prints will be on display in the IMRRC Centre on that day.

I will also be available to sign copies of my recently published book, "The Golden Years of Motorsport in Eastern Canada and the U.S.A., described on my website = www.lionelbirnbom.com.

For additional information about the discussion, please consult the IMRRC's website = www.imrrc.com.

All are welcome. Admission is free, but a small donation is requested to support the excellent work of The IMRRC.

Lionel Birnbom

lionelbirnbom@hotmail.com

Advertisement

#2 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,472 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 22:39

Thank You and Best for your event and book sales!

#3 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,271 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 00:22

Events of this type are excellent at the IMRRC...

Although we do recognise that the title of 'Canadian Grand Prix' was previously used for Sports Car races. Did they begin in 1960?

#4 D28

D28

• 2,028 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 00:23

Events of this type are excellent at the IMRRC...

Although we do recognise that the title of 'Canadian Grand Prix' was previously used for Sports Car races. Did they begin in 1960?

1961, so there were 6 previous Canadian Grand Prix. Look for F1 to totally ignore these fine sports car races, Pedro Rodriguez was dominant an early master of Mosport.

Edited by D28, 23 May 2017 - 00:29.

#5 grackle

grackle

• 279 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 00:25

Please do thank George Webster for his years of putting out Racefan TV long after he retired. Congratulations to both of you for the recognition this brings and the attempts to capture and share some of those memories.

#6 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 05:45

I sent Lionel an email and congratulated him...all the best.

Canada Post has come out with stamps for the 50th anniversary of the Formula 1 Grand Prix du Canada.  Here is a link:

https://www.canadapo...m-in-canada.jsf

Vince H.

Edited by raceannouncer2003, 23 May 2017 - 05:45.

#7 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 12:37

In August, 1967, the GP at Mosport was the closest such a race had ever come to where I live. 600 miles, to be precise. So naturally, I had to go. Conned a friend into driving, so we loaded his red VW with a couple duffel bags and hit the road. Drove all day Saturday, bunked at a small motel near the airport. Sunday morning was like most race mornings at Mosport. Cold and wet. The drive to the track, some 60 miles or so, was aggravating, as traffic from the track gate was backed up all the way to Bowmanville. It took almost two hours to get from 401 to the track. Then of course it rained.  Race came off, and I remember being disappointed when Clark dropped out. I so wanted to see him win. In order to catch a plane home, since I had to be at work Monday morning. we left the track before the race conclusion (I know, I know, unforgiveable!). Even then, I missed the plane due to heavy Sunday evening traffic on 401. Caught a later flight, though, and did make my duty assignment on Mon AM. From then on I scheduled better, returning home the next day rather than the day of.

Tom

#8 D28

D28

• 2,028 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 13:04

I sent Lionel an email and congratulated him...all the best.

Canada Post has come out with stamps for the 50th anniversary of the Formula 1 Grand Prix du Canada.  Here is a link:

https://www.canadapo...m-in-canada.jsf

Vince H.

The reasoning behind the selection is given in this link:

https://www.canadapo...at=newsreleases

I am puzzled at some of the selections and why the set is limited to 5, Canada has had one WDC in the 50 years covered, and it may well be the case for many more decades, Jacques Villeneuve does not rate a stamp. Granted he did not run well at the Canadian GP, but a WDC should count for something. Gilles is covered as he should be for his 1978 victory, but he has already been honoured in 1997 by a series of stamps. I see no reason why Canada Post couldn't include both Villeneuves, ii is Canada Post after all.

Multi winners Jacky Ickx, Alan Jones and Nelson Piquet may wonder what they have to do to be included.

It might have been better to limit the series to non-active drivers, Lewis Hamilton has 5 wins so far but honours could well await his retirement.

I would prefer to see Jack Brabham original winner and 3 time WDC honoured, but the choices suggest committee decisions and the heavy hand of Government in the background.

#9 Charlieman

Charlieman

• 2,545 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 13:35

Good luck with the book and best wishes to those who help commemorate 50 F1 years.

When the Montreal circuit was announced many years ago, fans and journalists were sceptical whether it would be a decent venue. Thankfully it has turned out to be a great place with some great racing.

#10 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,472 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 16:55

In August, 1967, the GP at Mosport was the closest such a race had ever come to where I live. 600 miles, to be precise. So naturally, I had to go. Conned a friend into driving, so we loaded his red VW with a couple duffel bags and hit the road. Drove all day Saturday, bunked at a small motel near the airport. Sunday morning was like most race mornings at Mosport. Cold and wet. The drive to the track, some 60 miles or so, was aggravating, as traffic from the track gate was backed up all the way to Bowmanville. It took almost two hours to get from 401 to the track. Then of course it rained.  Race came off, and I remember being disappointed when Clark dropped out. I so wanted to see him win. In order to catch a plane home, since I had to be at work Monday morning. we left the track before the race conclusion (I know, I know, unforgiveable!). Even then, I missed the plane due to heavy Sunday evening traffic on 401. Caught a later flight, though, and did make my duty assignment on Mon AM. From then on I scheduled better, returning home the next day rather than the day of.

Tom

Great post, Tom!

I just have to inquire, what kind of VW?

#11 LionelB

LionelB

• 12 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 17:06

To Ray Bell.

Yes, the term "Grand Prix" when used with "Canadian", was an often abused misnomer, by many tracks, race officials and the press, up to and including 1966. The first real F1 event in Canada where that combination of words was correctly used was in 1967, when the first real F1 event came to Canada, specifically at Mosport. And this year, we are celebrating the 50th. anniversary of that event. As we all know, the event is still on, and is held annually at Montreal, coming up shortly, on June 9-11.

Lionel Birnbom.

#12 BRG

BRG

• 25,953 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 17:16

I see no reason why Canada Post couldn't include both Villeneuves, ii is Canada Post after all.

Do they perhaps have a convention about not showing any living person on their stamps?

#13 D28

D28

• 2,028 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 17:35

Do they perhaps have a convention about not showing any living person on their stamps?

No Lewis Hamilton is one of the five, also M Schumacher, Jackie Stewart. Don't think that is the problem.

#14 Nick Planas

Nick Planas

• 353 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 21:36

Tom

Slightly Off Topic (wrong country!) but isn't it odd how, in the days when we were starved of our sport on TV and even radio, we would jump through hoops to go to races. As a boy living the wrong side of London, we used to take about 5 hours to get to Brands Hatch; often the last 4 miles walking; to see a Grand Prix or Race of Champions. Just walking through the gate and seeing the track was incredibly exciting and worth the journey. Going home was equally gruelling but I used to sleep on the Tube in the care of my family.

I now live in Brackley, just 9 minutes drive from Silverstone, and only go to see the Classic and occasional F1 test days if and when they happen - wouldn't dream of trying to attend a grand prix now.

Edited by Nick Planas, 23 May 2017 - 21:37.

#15 SKL

SKL

• 1,417 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 04:18

Little did I know when going to the World's Fair as a kid I was walking around at the future site of that great track!   Should have stuck around for a while longer  :)

#16 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 05:18

Tom

Tom

The historic race at Mosport June 18 weekend will be featuring Masters Historic F1 cars (1966-1985).  Lionel and I will be there.  Bill Sadler too.  Would you like to join us ?

Vince H.

#17 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 14:22

Great post, Tom!

I just have to inquire, what kind of VW?

red 1966 113 (beetle) there, white and red Air Canada DC-9 home.

#18 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 14:26

Tom

The historic race at Mosport June 18 weekend will be featuring Masters Historic F1 cars (1966-1985).  Lionel and I will be there.  Bill Sadler too.  Would you like to join us ?

Vince H.

Sure would, but that is the weekend of the annual Road America June Sprints, and I will be up there, not only as the Road America track historian, but also as the writer for Sports Car magazine, reporting the event for the 38th consecutive year.

Tom

#19 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 14:30

Slightly Off Topic (wrong country!) but isn't it odd how, in the days when we were starved of our sport on TV and even radio, we would jump through hoops to go to races. 

Indeed, we are kindred souls. Before I had a car I would scavenge rides to Road America, some 60 miles from home, and sleep in a farmer's field, just to see the race. As to Mosport, that was an epic journey for me in the early days, but I did attend all eight GPs at that track The first, in 1967, still thrills me. I can vividly remember the excitement I felt entering the track, then a couple hours later, the thrill of seeing the F-1 cars, morning warm up, for the very first time. It was a visual and aural experience that sticks with me to this day.

Tom

Advertisement

#20 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,472 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 14:37

Kindred +1 here.

We scheduled an extra 12,000 miles of slow travel (VW Westfalia) last fall just to attend my 17th SCCA Runoffs. :-)

#21 B Squared

B Squared

• 7,349 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 16:22

Tom and Nick's recounting the early days of travel to see races reminds me of my early trips to Watkins Glen for Formula 1 with similar memories and impressions. Thanks gentlemen.

#22 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,472 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 16:42

With Media sticker on windscreen, and permission, I climbed the curbs at Montreal before anyone.

Lap time was slow, though. Opel wagon, stock engine, treaded tires, probably Deep Purple preventing real potential.

#23 D28

D28

• 2,028 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 19:23

I share in the memories of traveling to the races in the 1960s. For the inaugural F1 race at Mosport we drove about 3 hours, a couple of sleeping bags and lots of beer, about all I remember bringing. We parked at the preferred spot on the hill overlooking turn 5. For some reason the local cops objected to us drinking the beer along the walkways. Try explaining that to a youngster today, but such were the rules 50 years ago in Ont.

I had seen all the sports car races and was most curious how the F1 cars would compare. My impression was they were quicker through the chute and turn 5, but they must have lost speed going up the hill. Clark's pole time was 1:22.4 in the dry the race was compromised by rain. The Can-Am Fl from 11 months previous was 123.1 (Donohue Lola T70). The Fl for the 67 Can-Am just one month later was 120.7 (Hulme McLaren M6A ) So the times were always close, but they never appear on the same day.

I was delighted to see Sir Jack prevail over Clark, Hulme and Gurney. He used some demisting  compound to rub on those big aviator goggles he fancied; he didn't need to stop for new ones as Hulme and Gurney did, twice in fact for Hulme.

One of the national news reporters focused his whole report on the outrage of a plodder like Brabham winning over Jim Clark.

Sir Jack happened to be the current WDC, his 3rd title, but all this was lost in the narrative. Reporting was also somewhat different 50 years ago.

Edited by D28, 08 June 2017 - 15:13.

#24 oldtransamdriver

oldtransamdriver

• 228 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 05:01

I have great memories of that F1 GP weekend at Mosport also, as I was steaming up the back straight in the sedan support race

in my mighty 50 hp D sedan 998 mini.

I do remember Gurney doing a few unscheduled practise laps late on Saturday, after some mechanical problems.  You could hear 

him going up and down thru the gears all around the track.

There will be a panel Sunday AM with some Canadian racing legends including Ludwig Heimrath and Bill Adam.

Robert

Edited by oldtransamdriver, 28 May 2017 - 05:08.

#25 D28

D28

• 2,028 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 15:25

http://www.dailymail...an-GP-home.html

The link provides some good photos of the Mosport Canadian Grand Prix. I would discount the bit on the unfortunate Al Pease, not a highlight, and the less said of it the better.

#26 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,472 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 15:35

Fantastic, Thanks D!

#27 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,472 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 15:37

I have great memories of that F1 GP weekend at Mosport also, as I was steaming up the back straight in the sedan support race
in my mighty 50 hp D sedan 998 mini.

It's as if you just turbocharged our Westfalia. :-)