Pierre Gasly vs. Carlos Sainz

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,116 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 11:43

Well... this thread should exist, no?  So far, it's 1-0 Gasly  :lol:

But joke aside, the Frenchman sure looks like he's not wasting much time getting used to F1.  Personally I think he'll become a successful fixture.  Either way, this duel may turn out to be a much more fascinating one than Sainz vs. Kvyat.  And hopefully with fewer collisions between the two!   ;)

Advertisement

#2 messy

messy

• 7,498 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 11:47

Gasly is the real deal I think. He should have been in this car from Melbourne really. 

#3 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 11:49

Not a bad showing from Gasly, he's right on pace with Sainz already so far which is impressive to me.

#4 A3

A3

• 32,104 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 12:56

Now we can see how good Sainz really is. I believe Gasly will have him covered quickly.

#5 DS27

DS27

• 4,687 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 15:14

So it  will be Gasly that finds Sainz out; I thought it was going to be Hulk next year, but seems it may already be happening.

#6 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 8,255 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 16:13

So it will be Gasly that finds Sainz out; I thought it was going to be Hulk next year, but seems it may already be happening.

Well let's wait until tomorrow or Sunday, shall we? "Will find him out" - he was already paired with Verstappen and didn't compare too bad. Sainz was constantly unhappy about car behaviour during FP today, have we heard anything related from Gasly?

#7 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 16:15

So it  will be Gasly that finds Sainz out; I thought it was going to be Hulk next year, but seems it may already be happening.

Barrichello won races too... :p

Let's wait until there are more samples than two practise sessions, with limited running no less.

#8 f1paul

f1paul

• 8,276 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 18:29

Good Friday for Gasly. He can only get better as the weekend goes on.  :up: 

#9 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 6,336 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 19:18

So it will be Gasly that finds Sainz out; I thought it was going to be Hulk next year, but seems it may already be happening.

Based on? What has Gasly done to make this claim? He’ll do better than Kvyat no doubt, but I believe Sainz will come out on top.

#10 DS27

DS27

• 4,687 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 19:38

I was being a bit flippant, but was still a bit surprised to see how well Gasly performed first time out. I think Sainz is good (but that he may be a bit over-hyped), but for sure Sainz really should come out on top in this short term battle. If Gasly came in and out-performed him over this weekend or the rest of the season I would be shocked. Still, Sainz is at Renault regardless, so it doesn't really matter too much I suppose.

I do rate Nico very highly and I think he will come out on top next year, but we will have to wait and see. Nevertheless, Renault will have a very interesting driver line-up.

#11 NixxxoN

NixxxoN

• 4,149 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 20:26

Wtf, getting carried away just because Gasly posted a better time in a single FP session?

Sainz so far has barely run trouble-free if not at all. He also didnt do FP1.

#12 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,400 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 20:36

Oh dear, that didn't take long...

#13 RacingGreen

RacingGreen

• 3,527 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 21:30

It's good to see young Gasly getting a chance. I can only assume that STR don't want to change everything next year, new car, new engine, and two completely new drivers so Gasly if being given a couple of races to prove himself, and give the team some base line data. If he completely fails then there is always the known quantity that is Kvyat. So the really important thing is for Gasly to stay out of trouble, have reasonable race pace and do nothing to disgrace himself.

In short I'm not going to judge Gasly against Sainz today as goals for the race weekend are very different. Unless of course Gasly completely blows Sainz away first time out.....

#14 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 22:53

The important thing is to wait and see, how Gasly races. Kvyat was also pretty fast in qualis, almost a match to Sainz, but he hopelessly messed up his races. So we can't say anything about Gasly before Sunday.

#15 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,824 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 11:24

Gasly did alright but beaten by a tenth by the Spanish superstar Sainz Jr.  Very interesting.

#16 MashedPotato

MashedPotato

• 72 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 11:44

Only a tenth down in his first Q against Sainz is quite impressive, hope he has a good race tomorrow!

#17 FelixAdan

FelixAdan

• 224 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 00:32

Wtf, getting carried away just because Gasly posted a better time in a single FP session?

Sainz so far has barely run trouble-free if not at all. He also didnt do FP1.

Not sure if it's because of a feeling of scorn against Sainz or because they truly rate Gasly. Considering bold statements and some sarcastic remark about Sainz here (or how the Kvyat thread started as well), I'd say it is the former. 

So Gasly beat Sainz in FP and finished right behind him in Qualy, suddenly this means who's the deal or who'll be covered. Do wonder if these very people gave the same credit to Sainz they are giving to Gasly already when Sainz actually beat certain superstar numerous times in both qualy and race day.

Gasly isn't mediocre that's for sure, he clearly has talent and it'll be fun to watch probably, but before coming up with bold absolute statements I think it'd be wiser to wait for a few weekends at least IMO. Even if Gasly came out on top tomorrow (which could happen, why not).

Edited by FelixAdan, 01 October 2017 - 00:55.

#18 RPM40

RPM40

• 13,870 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 00:36

I have high hopes for Gasly. He's always been a bit of a careful racer to me but that tends to result in good points long term. His junior career was more impressive than Sainz overall.

#19 NixxxoN

NixxxoN

• 4,149 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 01:33

Not sure if it's because of a feeling of scorn against Sainz or because they truly rate Gasly. Considering bold statements and some sarcastic remark about Sainz here (or how the Kvyat thread started as well), I'd say it is the former. 

So Gasly beat Sainz in FP and finished right behind him in Qualy, suddenly this means who's the deal or who'll be covered. Do wonder if these very people gave the same credit to Sainz they are giving to Gasly already when Sainz actually beat certain superstar numerous times in both qualy and race day.

Gasly isn't mediocre that's for sure, he clearly has talent and it'll be fun to watch probably, but before coming up with bold absolute statements I think it'd be wiser to wait for a few weekends at least IMO. Even if Gasly came out on top tomorrow (which could happen, why not).

I would not underestimate sainz at all. He's the only driver on the grid to have the exclusive privilege to have been taught stuff, tricks and lessons from Alonso. He also seems to shine on race day rather than qualy day, similar to Alonso

Advertisement

#20 Viryfan

Viryfan

• 4,043 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 11:02

Very good race from Gasly despite no drink and a fake seat.

He held on very well to Sainz Jr on super soft then he lost a bit his way in the second stint.

#21 FullThrottleF1

FullThrottleF1

• 3,536 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 11:03

Good job Gasly. A fine first rade

#22 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,790 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 11:07

I have high hopes for Gasly. He's always been a bit of a careful racer to me but that tends to result in good points long term. His junior career was more impressive than Sainz overall.

The main thing I remember from Gasly's junior career was putting someone in the wall at freakin' Blanchimont when he was in GP2. But perhaps the carefulness came later!

#23 A3

A3

• 32,104 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 11:09

Dirty move from Sainz defending into turn one against Ocon.

#24 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 11:21

Good job Gasly. A fine first rade

Indeed. Nice and solid. Not needlessly timid but kept himself away from trouble. Good first race!

#25 markelov74

markelov74

• 3,080 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 11:22

The main thing I remember from Gasly's junior career was putting someone in the wall at freakin' Blanchimont when he was in GP2. But perhaps the carefulness came later!

And spinning in Abu Dhabi taking out seven cars headfirst in the barriers and forcing the race to be cancelled

#26 Kao18

Kao18

• 5,623 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 17:55

Not sure how to rate Gasly this weekemd. Not bad but also not a hugely impressive debut.

Of course he needs a few races and qualifying was good but imo needs to do more in the coming races to show he is a better option than Kvyat.

#27 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,116 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 18:02

Pierre seemed pretty close to keeping pace with Sainz the whole time.  Considering he had a painful seat situation, and (apparently?) no drink bottle in a super exhausting race, I would rate his debut as "very strong".

#28 FullOppositeLock

FullOppositeLock

• 10,995 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 18:02

He doesn't need to be a better option than Kvyat (yet) as they will probably be team mates next year, just a better long term project for Red Bull.

#29 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 6,336 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 18:05

The Toro Rosso is a crap car. Gasly did OK, I doubt Kvyat would have done better.

#30 Viryfan

Viryfan

• 4,043 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 18:09

Not sure how to rate Gasly this weekemd. Not bad but also not a hugely impressive debut.

Of course he needs a few races and qualifying was good but imo needs to do more in the coming races to show he is a better option than Kvyat.

If Sainz Jr had finished he would've been less than 20 seconds behind more or less.

The gap when Sainz Jr before Sainz was 25 seconds so taking in account a 24-25 seconds pit stop pierre would've been just behind carlos but with older tyre.

https://pbs.twimg.co...nN7X0AA_GqF.jpg

#31 Auzz

Auzz

• 438 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 18:44

Well done to Pierre. A fine debute  in a super demanding race, where drinking problems is a serious and dangerous issue.

Sainz however. Dirty move on Ocon. But not suprised though. 

#32 RaikkonenFan96

RaikkonenFan96

• 239 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 20:51

Gasly did quite good this weekend, looking forward for next season :up:

#33 FelixAdan

FelixAdan

• 224 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 01:17

So Ocon closes him and Sainz should have swerved to the inner part of the turn or what? It was just a racing incident not a dirty move imo.

As for Gasly, he looked fairly close to Sainz at some parts of the race. That he's better or not remains to be seen. But it made sense to put him in the place of Kvyat.

Edited by FelixAdan, 02 October 2017 - 01:18.

#34 drpfeffer

drpfeffer

• 54 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 08:41

Very impressive debut from Gasly, for sure he is here to stay..

#35 Jerem

Jerem

• 2,176 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 08:46

So Ocon closes him and Sainz should have swerved to the inner part of the turn or what? It was just a racing incident not a dirty move imo.

As for Gasly, he looked fairly close to Sainz at some parts of the race. That he's better or not remains to be seen. But it made sense to put him in the place of Kvyat.

Ocon left more than one car width to the apex, as we can see from his onboard. Sainz had more than enough space but braked too late/understeered into Ocon.

Gasly had a solid first week-end, he was quick over one lap, not as good as Sainz over race distance I think but he stayed away from trouble and made it to the end - which already makes him better than Kvyat.

#36 Kao18

Kao18

• 5,623 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 09:04

He doesn't need to be a better option than Kvyat (yet) as they will probably be team mates next year, just a better long term project for Red Bull.

I dont think it is sure yet whether Kvyat will return next season. Personally I have my doubts.

If Sainz Jr had finished he would've been less than 20 seconds behind more or less.

The gap when Sainz Jr before Sainz was 25 seconds so taking in account a 24-25 seconds pit stop pierre would've been just behind carlos but with older tyre.

https://pbs.twimg.co...nN7X0AA_GqF.jpg

Yeah he did fine for now. Haven't really noticed him in the race which could be a good thing of course but I believe in the coming week(s) he has to show a bit more. Based on this weekend alone it is to early to come with a real verdict for me anyway.

#37 dau

dau

• 5,373 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 09:38

I remember he actually took the blame for that one immediately, we don't see that too often.

---

That was a pretty good first race for Gasly. No mistakes, similar pace to Sainz, not bad at all. They pitted him too early and he would've lost out against Sainz towards the end due to the older tyres, but still. Nice to see the second STR see the checkered flag for once.

#38 jstrains

jstrains

• 3,225 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 04:39

Carlos has probably taken over the crashing from Kvyat...

#39 FelixAdan

FelixAdan

• 224 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 01:26

So another bad weeken for Sainz most likely. If I'm wrong please feel free to rub it in my face.

Edited by FelixAdan, 07 October 2017 - 01:34.

Advertisement

#40 sportyskells

sportyskells

• 4,873 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 11:52

and this one is short due to Saniz moving teams next F1 GP

#41 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 11,080 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 12:35

apparently Honda doesn't want to release Gasly from his Super Formula contract, they want to win that title which is very important in Japan
So that's a problem for Red Bull, surely they don't want a fight with the new 2018 engine supplier of Toro Rosso
Maybe we will see Buemi in the car for 1 race, would be amuzing if they would hire Palmer for Austin

Edited by William Hunt, 08 October 2017 - 12:36.

#42 dau

dau

• 5,373 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 14:54

apparently Honda doesn't want to release Gasly from his Super Formula contract, they want to win that title which is very important in Japan
So that's a problem for Red Bull, surely they don't want a fight with the new 2018 engine supplier of Toro Rosso
Maybe we will see Buemi in the car for 1 race, would be amuzing if they would hire Palmer for Austin

I'd rather run just one car.

#43 EightGear

EightGear

• 1,748 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 16:57

Not really.

https://www.autospor...-race-in-austin

#44 BRG

BRG

• 25,949 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 19:28

I'd rather run just one car.

Not allowed under contracts with FIA & FOM.  They have to field two cars.  Plenty of drivers are available.  I hope for Palmer; forum meltdown and apoplectic fits would ensue!

Edited by BRG, 08 October 2017 - 19:28.

#45 FullOppositeLock

FullOppositeLock

• 10,995 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 19:49

Ted Kravitz mentioned Rossi as an option. Would be nice especially considering it's his home race and there's definitely unfinihed business in F1 for him. Could show Haas what they're missing out on.

#46 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 19:54

Ted Kravitz mentioned Rossi as an option. Would be nice especially considering it's his home race and there's definitely unfinihed business in F1 for him. Could show Haas what they're missing out on.

Interesting. Why not. :)

Would get a better chance than a hopeless backmarker car as well.

#47 SonJR

SonJR

• 441 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 18:11

Unfortunately the Rossi rumour has been poo poo'd by his spokesperson.

#48 efuloni

efuloni

• 768 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 18:34

Am I the only one who is deadly curious about who is gonna replace Gasly in the next race?

#49 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 6,336 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 18:51

I also read a wild rumour about Kubica on GPToday yesterday?

#50 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,116 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 19:04

Am I the only one who is deadly curious about who is gonna replace Gasly in the next race?

NO!  I thought there was supposed to be an announcement today, and I've been waiting for that news!!!  :mad:  :p