Photo

Brooklands Timing Point

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 tsrwright

tsrwright

• 586 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 04:35

I am trying to put a date on a loose page from Eric Fernihough's tuning notebook.   The only clue, presumably referring to Brooklands, is the note,  "New Timing Point (Dunlops)". The book runs from 1935 until his death in early 1938. Can anyone help with what this note means and what the date might have been?

Edited by tsrwright, 27 October 2017 - 04:46.

Advertisement

#2 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 42,626 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 13:44

Since Dunlop Mac’s Tyre Depot was within the 'motoring village', so is hardly likely to be a timing point, could this refer to one of the 'accessory pits'? There were some on the finishing straight near the Shell Bridge, although I can't find a diagram naming them.

However, the Outer Circuit pits look like a better bet. They were between The Fork and the scoreboard after the Autocar Bridge, opposite the Vickers Works. Diagram 85 in Tony Hutchings' book shows the pit dispositions for the 1935 '500', with a Dunlop pit named, a short distance further on from Chronograph Villa and roughly in the middle of the first range of pits, on the Fork side of the bridge.

#3 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,060 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 14:16

Can one ask what else is on that page?

If it is timing results, the notes may be separate and show that the bike/car was on Dunlop tyres and that a New Timing point was in use.

That would have to be within easy sight of Chronograph Villa for the Outer and Mountain circuits but the Cambell Circuit went somewhere else!

#4 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 42,626 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 14:54

Chronograph Villa was of course for hand timing only. Again referring to Tony Hutchings' book, on the Outer Circuit, where one would assume Fernihough would be doing any testing, the Railway Straight Finishing Line timing box was the normal location for the Le Roy light-beam apparatus. However, it 'could be positioned anywhere around the track, with cables connecting it to the timing box [but] it is not known whether this system was also connected to the other timing boxes, such as the box beside the Finishing Straight, or for that matter, Chronograph Villa.'

There is also mention of another system - described as made by Leroy-Brillie - which was loaned to the BRDC by the Road Racing Club for the 1937 '500'. Hutchings has no information on whether it was used on any other occasion. It appears to have been installed somewhere on the Railway Straight.

And just for completeness, the Test Hill Hairpin below the Motor Bridge was apparently also known as Dunlops Delight (no idea why!) Seems an unlikely timing point though.

#5 tsrwright

tsrwright

• 586 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 12:45

Thanks for the responses. I should mention that I photographed 36 or so pages in the Brooklands Society archive some years ago and have only recently realised that they were out of order. The page in question is the one on the right below -  the left hand page is typical but actually matches a different right hand one and the correct left hand page seems to be missing (: Where the page in question seems to end up in the book as I have digitally reconstructed it is in 1937 so maybe there is some connection with the Leroy-Brillie temporary installation? I am a long way from Brooklands at the moment so it is not so easy to check back with the original material. Sorry for posting the question twice -  can the other one be deleted Richard?

f_ERNIp_AGE.jpg

Edited by tsrwright, 30 October 2017 - 12:48.

#6 tsrwright

tsrwright

• 586 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 13:02

Richard, I don't seem to know Tony Hutchings' book on the outer circuit but I should -  do you have a reference please?

#7 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 42,626 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 13:12

Hutchings A.J. The Administration of Racing at Brooklands - The Brooklands Society, 2002

2 volumes, comb bound. Maps of just about every track configuration and lots of other details. IIRC it cost me £95. Used to be available from the shop at the track, but out of print now, though.

#8 tsrwright

tsrwright

• 586 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 01:23

Many thanks. Just shows you how something always turns up.  I know Tony but had not heard of his book. Will try to find one  but the only Google result is in Rumanian!

Edited by tsrwright, 31 October 2017 - 01:29.