Photo
- - - - -

Alonso to compete in 24hr LeMans with Toyota ?

• Please log in to reply
167 replies to this topic

#1 Alonsofan007

Alonsofan007

• 2,219 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 16:30

Alonso Visits Toyota in Cologne for ‘Seat Fitting’ 

Dailysportscar has established that two-time Formula One World Champion Fernando Alonso was at Toyota Motorsport Gmbh (TMG) in Cologne, Germany yesterday for what has been relayed to us as a ‘seat fitting’.

An approach to TMG for comment and confirmation was 
clearly an unpleasant surprise, “we have no comment on this speculation”, the response garnered

The current McLaren F1 driver has clearly expressed a wish to compete at the Le Mans 24 Hours in the wake of a run in 2017 at the Indianapolis 500.

http://www.dailyspor...at-fitting.html

IF this is true this is great news :clap:.

I think there is enuf to the story to be able to discuss this (Mods!!! :p ), thoughts??

Edited by Alonsofan007, 07 November 2017 - 16:34.

Advertisement

#2 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,738 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 16:35

DailySportscar is a reliable source. Let's hope something comes of this!

#3 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 11,208 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 16:51

That'd be pretty awesome, especially since Toyota really ought to win next year!

#4 Alonsofan007

Alonsofan007

• 2,219 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 16:53

i wish ant and alonso are in same team and win it all  :lol:  2 wishes coming true at same time never happened to me tho :well:

#5 Joseki

Joseki

• 4,156 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 17:10

RACER reported it too, they cited "their sources" so I presume it's not just a copy of this article.

In any case I don't expect an announcement before the Honda Thanks Day. Being there as a Renault AND Toyota driver in 2018 wouldn't be nice I guess.

#6 TheRacingElf

TheRacingElf

• 2,267 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 17:13

Will put my money on that car not even making the start.

#7 kevinracefan

kevinracefan

• 2,729 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 17:19

the ultimate F U to Honda, racing for Toyota, LOL...

#8 August

August

• 3,277 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 17:24

I wonder what Toyota's lineup will be at Le Mans. I'd be surprised if they entered a third car, the level of the opposition isn't so high. Then again, given it's Toyota, it'd be no surprise if two of their cars hit trouble, even three might not be enough to get the elusive win.

If Toyota enters with only two cars, then they'll either need to bench one driver from a three-driver lineup or have a two-driver lineup for the full season with Alonso joining for Le Mans (and somebody for Sebring in 2019).

#9 Vielleicht

Vielleicht

• 5,961 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 17:25

Pleas please please please pleeeeease be true!

#10 FLB

FLB

• 29,675 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 17:32

:clap: :clap: :clap:

#11 Joseki

Joseki

• 4,156 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 17:35

I wonder what Toyota's lineup will be at Le Mans. I'd be surprised if they entered a third car, the level of the opposition isn't so high. Then again, given it's Toyota, it'd be no surprise if two of their cars hit trouble, even three might not be enough to get the elusive win.

If Toyota enters with only two cars, then they'll either need to bench one driver from a three-driver lineup or have a two-driver lineup for the full season with Alonso joining for Le Mans (and somebody for Sebring in 2019).

Toyota wasn't happy about the third car after this year's Le Mans, so I doubt they are going to take a third car with no real competitors in 2018 and 2019. They are probably going to move one of the non japanese drivers out of the car for the race, probably Lopez I'd say.

#12 PiperPa42

PiperPa42

• 6,041 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 17:41

I am happy to see Alonso keep driving in other series while racing in F1. Hopefully his exploits can persuade other drivers to do the same.

Will put my money on that car not even making the start.

'm not sure whether to put money on the car not starting at all or an LMP2 overall victory :stoned:

#13 messy

messy

• 7,491 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 18:04

They'll probably replace Lopez with Alonso if true, won't they?

A slight upgrade, I guess :lol:

I hope this happens. Would be great to see.

#14 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 8,780 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 18:10

Oh god, this is just setup for another retirement next year.

What with Toyota's finishing record at recent LM24hrs, add in the combination of Alonso + Japanese car manufacturers..... :|  :|

Seriously, this will be awesome to seeuntil it goes spectacularly wrong, and I hope he wins it. 

Edited by SCUDmissile, 07 November 2017 - 18:11.

#15 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,202 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 18:11

Let's hope he wins it and wipes that Toyota curse off the face of the earth !!

Then he can concentrate on the 500 and get his Triple Crown !

Jp

#16 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,283 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 18:36

Will apparently take part in the rookie test

Motorsport.com sources have confirmed that the McLaren Formula 1 driver, who has aspirations to race at the Le Mans 24 Hours in his bid to win the unofficial triple crown of motorsport, is close to a deal to drive a Toyota TS050 Hybrid in the Bahrain test on November 19, the day after this year's WEC finale.

The news comes amid reports that Alonso has visited the Toyota Motorsport GmbH factory in Cologne today for a seat fitting.

https://www.motorspo...bahrain-975580/

Edited by Marklar, 07 November 2017 - 18:37.

#17 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,067 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 19:09

What did that old GIF say?

IT'S HAPPENING!  :clap:

EDIT: Maybe not at the rookie test though. Alonso will still be Honda-contracted at that point, as it's literally 2 days before practice at Abu Dhabi. So I don't see THAT outing happening, but... possibly a private post-Daytona 24 test then?

#18 BRG

BRG

• 25,941 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 19:20

Excellent news (if confirmed).  Maybe the start of a return to a more healthy, less F1-centric sport. 

Edited by BRG, 07 November 2017 - 19:20.

#19 Danyy

Danyy

• 3,066 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 19:36

I will watch any racing with Alonso in it. 2018 is turning out to be quite a year. Would be something if he won races across all the different categories in the same year.

Advertisement

#20 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 19:37

Would be great to see! :up:

#21 Mat13

Mat13

• 4,069 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 19:56

Amazing. Just sad there will only be one LMP1 team likely to win, save for the traditional Toyota Le Mans Meltdown.

#22 RacingGreen

RacingGreen

• 3,527 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 20:02

Good news and it will definitely make LMP1 a bit more interesting post Porsche next June IF  (please note the big IF)  works Toyota even race next year. 

Given Alonso's and Toyota's record I give the partnership about 23 hours before the wheels fall off.

Edited by RacingGreen, 09 November 2017 - 01:02.

#23 TF110

TF110

• 3,068 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 20:32

I don't think Toyota will replace anyone, no not Lopez. This rumor is weird and I see it floating around a lot. Lopez is a rookie this year and did fine until Shanghai. One incident (with the lmp2) was a toss up between who's fault it was, and the stewards didn't penalize him for it. Him hitting the 91 Porsche is unfortunate, but he isn't throwing away race after race like some previous Toyota drivers (Lapierre). Le Mans was his first race for Toyota that he actually competed in. Silverstone was a failure on his 2nd lap, but he was clean the whole time he was in the #9 car. With the stories coming out, there's at least 6 or 7 new lmp1 cars. Toyota entering 3 cars would be fine if they stay away from crashers like they had in the 3rd entry this year. Plus it seems like they will continue with the same car carried over. That should save a lot of money usually used for development.

If Alonso joins them, that news alone gives a significant boost to Le Mans and it's notoriety next year! I don't think Honda will boycott him running a test for Toyota in lmp1. They don't compete there.

#24 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 20:51

Is he going with Toyota as a big F U to Honda??

Edit: kevinracefan got there first!!

Edited by jjcale, 07 November 2017 - 20:54.

#25 ezequiel

ezequiel

• 2,800 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 21:09

López has stated Toyota has already expressed their will for him to stay on board. He's even looking to race for Toyota in SuperGT (or in Súper TC2000) to fill his schedule.

#26 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,342 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 21:15

I hate to be that guy, but I can't help but feel that it would probably be a loftier achievement - assuming he was to win it - if there were more factory LMP1 teams. He would still have to beat his team-mates of course.

#27 Alonsofan007

Alonsofan007

• 2,219 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 21:18

FFS .......ya it has nothing to do with Toyota being the only option to win next year, it all about fernando wanting to give finger to Honda .... thats how much he hates them  :rolleyes: /s

Edited by Alonsofan007, 07 November 2017 - 21:19.

#28 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,202 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 21:29

Fer Christ sake paul posted the wrong 'old gif' ImperturbableGrossEkaltadeta.gif

#29 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 12,899 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 21:34

I wonder....

Imagine.....

- Renault still not as reliable as Mercedes and to a lesser extend Ferrari, and still no F1 victories for McLaren after all ......

- Maybe not winning but bulletproof reliable Toro Rosso-Honda getting a lot of decent results .......

- The usual Toyota failure at Le Mans beyond their control.....

all because of Alonso's by now notorious "Inverse Midas Touch".....

Oh, if ......

Henri

#30 Kodza

Kodza

• 630 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 21:37

What a story.

First, good for WEC. That is only positive for them.

Second, FOM should ban Alonso from F1 if he miss another F1 race for any other series. He signed contract. He disrespect and should go to another series. Not to ruin image of F1.

End - Alonso must grow. Adults makes choices. And stay with their choices.

Stop

I am not surprised by Alonso, I am surprised by FOM not reacting.

Edited by Kodza, 07 November 2017 - 21:40.

#31 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,202 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 21:43

Oh please... How the **** old are you?

#32 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 12,899 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 21:46

What a story.

Second, FOM should ban Alonso from F1 if he miss another F1 race for any other series. He signed contract. He disrespect and should go to another series. Not to ruin image of F1.

Stop

Sorry but if it comes to positive things for WEC:

then I rather have another team worthy to take on Toyota on equal terms again than a big name within one of the cars of the only team still fielding such cars...

Henri

#33 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 17,402 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 22:16

If Alonso signs for Toyota for next June, I shall have 2x General entry, 2x Tribune Leonard and a White car park space, ( numbered and 2 mins walk from seat), for sale at face value.

#34 BRG

BRG

• 25,941 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 22:43

I hate to be that guy, but I can't help but feel that it would probably be a loftier achievement - assuming he was to win it - if there were more factory LMP1 teams. He would still have to beat his team-mates of course.

Alonso can only compete in the Le Mans race and the WEC that actually exists.  He cannot magic up more competition.

And as for Kodza's 'contribution' to this thread....words fail me.

#35 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,286 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 22:59

What a story.

Stop

Alonso’s contract is with McLaren, not FOM. He has no obligation to compete in all the Grands Prix. McLaren have a contract with the FIA (their entry) to have no more than 4 drivers in a single year. That’s it. I’m sure your mates down the pub can explain that better, seeing as they’re supposedly well connected.

Him doing other races does not disrespect anyone.

#36 ArrowsLivery

ArrowsLivery

• 3,717 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 23:00

:eek: This will be the first time in over 10 years where Alonso is in the best car in the field!!! 

#37 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,488 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 23:05

:eek: This will be the first time in over 10 years where Alonso is in the best car in the field!!! 

I don't think there should be any doubt that Ferrari had the best car at the 2010 German GP   ;)

#38 ArrowsLivery

ArrowsLivery

• 3,717 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 23:11

I don't think there should be any doubt that Ferrari had the best car at the 2010 German GP   ;)

I think you can argue that it was Fernando's ability that got it up there. 

#39 MastaKink

MastaKink

• 4,353 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 23:27

It was pretty close but I think Red Bull were stronger there like at most tracks that year. The Ferrari's just got a better start.

Singapore 2010 though would fit the bill but I don't know why the car with the most downforce (RB6) would suddenly be poor around there but any time a driver gets a Grand Chelem it's fair to suggest they had the best car.

There were times at Ferrari, especially at Monza, he had the best car but not that many.

Advertisement

#40 MastaKink

MastaKink

• 4,353 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 23:30

Anyway good to hear it and I hope he's there. 

Don't care about the lack of other competition, we're more than used to one team being a mile ahead of everyone else in F1 and your only competition coming from your team mate in the past 20 years so I don't see the fuss.

#41 Kodza

Kodza

• 630 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 23:52

Alonso’s contract is with McLaren, not FOM. He has no obligation to compete in all the Grands Prix. McLaren have a contract with the FIA (their entry) to have no more than 4 drivers in a single year. That’s it. I’m sure your mates down the pub can explain that better, seeing as they’re supposedly well connected.

Him doing other races does not disrespect anyone.

Oh, oh, what misunderstanding.

McLaren with FOM and Alonso with McLaren regarding same. Ergo, misunderstanding. Legally easy to understand. And complete marketing fail for FOM.

"Him doing other races does not disrespect anyone."

We talking legal side, not personal.

Any driver signing contract to drive in F1 is obliged to drive, not free to disrespect this contract.

He is part of whole show.

Alonso can only compete in the Le Mans race and the WEC that actually exists.  He cannot magic up more competition.

And as for Kodza's 'contribution' to this thread....words fail me.

Many things fail you. Start with legal side, but we will find more.

Edited by Kodza, 07 November 2017 - 23:56.

#42 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 00:15

Any driver signing contract to drive in F1 is obliged to drive, not free to disrespect this contract.

No they aren't. The competitors in F1 are the teams. They can hire whoever they want, but if they want to put them in their cars during an FIA F1 event these drivers need to meet certain requirements. Being there for every race is not one of them.

It is possible that a team has such a contract with a driver, but that has nothing to do with F1.

Edited by Nonesuch, 08 November 2017 - 00:16.

#43 Kodza

Kodza

• 630 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 00:31

No they aren't. The competitors in F1 are the teams. They can hire whoever they want, but if they want to put them in their cars during an FIA F1 event these drivers need to meet certain requirements. Being there for every race is not one of them.

It is possible that a team has such a contract with a driver, but that has nothing to do with F1.

I hope you will understand all contradictory statements in your post.

Please, you say "They can hire whoever they want, but if they want to put them in their cars during an FIA F1 event". ONLY reason they have a contract is to participate in F1 race.

And you say "teams. They can hire whoever they want" Sorry, teams can not hire "whoever" but there is STRICT rules who, and on top of that FIA approve drivers.

We are talking seriously about it, not chatting. If someone not understand problem, shouldn't go into discussion such resolutely.

And you say " team has such a contract with a driver"  and in same sentence - "but that has nothing to do with F1". Team and driver makes SPECIFICALLY contract regarding F1 championship. It is not "possible" it is subject of such contract. Primary subject.

I am not giving up, but I might give up on explaining obvious thing.             

Edited by Kodza, 08 November 2017 - 00:32.

#44 Exumer

Exumer

• 381 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 01:38

If it’s true and I hope it is, then good on him! I wish more F1 drivers have an opportunity to drive in different categories when their schedule allows to do so.

Edited by Exumer, 08 November 2017 - 01:39.

#45 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,824 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 02:22

If it’s true and I hope it is, then good on him! I wish more F1 drivers have an opportunity to drive in different categories when their schedule allows to do so.

The trouble is they would often not be wanted, apart from publicity purposes, because F1 drivers (or F1 specialists, more precisely) would usually be slower than series specialists of other series.

#46 PlayboyRacer

PlayboyRacer

• 6,973 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 02:23

What a story.

Stop

Just wow. What a time to be alive.

#47 TF110

TF110

• 3,068 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 04:21

Too bad Alonso didn't visit TMG for a seat fitting 9 years ago. I think in the TF109, he would have had a shot at the title. Only a few races where Toyota wasn't at or near the front and with a driver like him in the car, he would have put it up there. Something a Trulli and Glock couldn't do.

#48 Danyy

Danyy

• 3,066 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 04:59

What a story.

Stop

dracarys.gif

#49 Exumer

Exumer

• 381 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 05:30

The trouble is they would often not be wanted, apart from publicity purposes, because F1 drivers (or F1 specialists, more precisely) would usually be slower than series specialists of other series.

Maybe but we don’t know that for sure and it will be fun to watch anyway. Finest example is Alonso at Indy 500.

Also, wouldn’t be great to see top drivers from different categories doing a F1 GP as well from time to time? I think it would be great, there are plenty of talented drivers out there.

#50 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,286 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 07:35

I hope you will understand all contradictory statements in your post.
Please, you say "They can hire whoever they want, but if they want to put them in their cars during an FIA F1 event". ONLY reason they have a contract is to participate in F1 race.
And you say "teams. They can hire whoever they want" Sorry, teams can not hire "whoever" but there is STRICT rules who, and on top of that FIA approve drivers.
We are talking seriously about it, not chatting. If someone not understand problem, shouldn't go into discussion such resolutely.
And you say " team has such a contract with a driver"  and in same sentence - "but that has nothing to do with F1". Team and driver makes SPECIFICALLY contract regarding F1 championship. It is not "possible" it is subject of such contract. Primary subject.

I am not giving up, but I might give up on explaining obvious thing.

I’m sorry but you’re the one displaying the lack of understanding.

To use examples from a few years back, Ligier in 1995 and Red Bull in 2005 both had cars shared between drivers. Brundle and Suzuki and Klien and Liuzzi respectively. Each had their contract with their respective team for a certain number of races right from the start of the season. There was no substituting for injury or drivers fired.

The entry to the championship is the team’s, and their drivers are contracted to them. Therefore if a driver has a contract that allows him to race elsewhere and the team use a substitute for a Grand Prix, the only concern of the FIA is that both drivers are qualified and that the team isn’t using too many drivers that season. The drivers have no direct contract with the FIA in terms of their entry because the teams are entered.