Photo

Harry Stiller

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Macca

Macca

• 3,728 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 22:02

I understand Harry Stiller has passed away; twice British F3 champion an entrant of some immaculate racing cars.

Paul M

Advertisement

#2 Cirrus

Cirrus

• 1,753 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 23:05

Very sad news. The F3 drivers of the 60s are real heroes of mine.

Harry was on Facebook... https://www.facebook.com/harry.stiller he had some interesting views on recent developments in F1.

Edited by Cirrus, 13 May 2018 - 23:10.

#3 Andrew Fellowes

Andrew Fellowes

• 753 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 00:14

Very sad news, so helpful with all the questions I asked him, what a brave last post on Facebook, condolences to family & friends.

#4 charles r

charles r

• 8,403 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 05:55

RIP Harry. One of that memorable band of F3 racers from the late 60s. Also a very astute businessman.

#5 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,585 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 06:32

Sad news indeed. A fighter to the end.

#6 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,203 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 08:14

Sad. :(

RIP

#7 GMiranda

GMiranda

• 1,179 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 09:22

It was so sad, RIP

#8 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver

• 1,070 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 12:16

Sad to read this. Harry was a very entertaining interviewee and had some forthright opinions about the current state of racing. I used to enjoy reading his Facebook posts too. He will be missed. RIP.

#9 alansart

alansart

• 4,420 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 13:36

Sad news. Harry was quite proactive on Facebook and had lots of good stories of his racing days as a driver and team manager. I never met him in the flesh but had some online correspondence with him which was always interesting, frank and cordial. RIP Harry.

#10 Cirrus

Cirrus

• 1,753 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 18:30

I think we're all in agreement - we've lost one of the Good Guys.

#11 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,585 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 07:45

I first met Harry after he retired from racing and was running his successful team. I was staying at the same hotel as the team "down the Hatch". My father and I were made to feel most welcome to their team talk in the bar. We met the team several times at The Swan in West Malling and had some rather entertaining evenings!

#12 pete53

pete53

• 726 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 09:41

All too often these days  I log on to this site and see a new thread with the title of a familiar racing name and, like the rest of you, know and fear what is coming.

Harry Stiller, another very familiar name from my early days as an enthusiast now sadly gone. I think I the first time I saw him race was at Brands in an Elite, but of course, he is mostly remembered for his successful period as an F3 racer in that fabulous 1 litre era in the mid 60s, up against the likes of Tony Lanfranchi, Peter Gethin, John Miles, Mo Nunn etc. ( I chose those names slightly randomly but it has just occurred to me that, sadly,  three of them are no longer with us either). Harry was very much a front runner winning the Les Leston F3 title in 1966 and 1967.

RIP

#13 charles r

charles r

• 8,403 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 15:08

All too often these days  I log on to this site and see a new thread with the title of a familiar racing name and, like the rest of you, know and fear what is coming.

Harry Stiller, another very familiar name from my early days as an enthusiast now sadly gone. I think I the first time I saw him race was at Brands in an Elite, but of course, he is mostly remembered for his successful period as an F3 racer in that fabulous 1 litre era in the mid 60s, up against the likes of Tony Lanfranchi, Peter Gethin, John Miles, Mo Nunn etc. ( I chose those names slightly randomly but it has just occurred to me that, sadly,  three of them are no longer with us either). Harry was very much a front runner winning the Les Leston F3 title in 1966 and 1967.

RIP

http://www.historicr...m?driverID=5185

Barrie Maskell/Bev Bond/Jonathan Williams, also sadly no longer with us, Ian Ashley, still racing historic sidecars at the age of 71! Roy Pike, Howden Ganley, Tim Schenken, Tony Dean, Conny Anderson, Peter Deal, Reine Wisell, Cyd Williams, Keith Holland, Alan Rollinson, David Cole, Richard Scott, Emerson Fittipaldi, Francois Mazet, Tony Trimmer, Mike Beckwith, Jean Pierre Jassaud, Robin Widdows, Jurg Dubler, the list is endless and it is amazing the depth of quality F3 enjoyed in the one litre era.

#14 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,607 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 15:48

I’d forgotten that it was Harry who led the BRDC ‘rebellion’ in 2006 against the then-board’s plans to lease Silverstone for 150 years to a property development company:

https://www.autospor...ers-over-future

He also posted here on TNF for a while in 2009-11.

RIP Harry.