• Please log in to reply
1433 replies to this topic

#1 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,643 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 09:45

The Monaco GP of 2018

It's May, and it's time to imagine getting up, putting on a huge white fluffy robe and shuffling into our Gucci loafers to the balcony of our fabulous apartment to enjoy the sun and a leisurely breakfast, sipping fresh orange juice while looking out across an azure sea and sky...but wait, what is that approaching din?  Ahhhh, it must be that time of year again when the comparative peace of the principality is shattered by the return of the F1 circus.

Yes, kids, it's the build up to the Monaco GP. I was going to say how it can also probably be considered a build up to the seemingly inevitable conversation afterwards about why is this race still going when it is so processional AAARGH? but I see that this year that conversation is, with brutal efficiency, heralding the event instead. Don't get sucked into all that gloom because a) you make your own fun and b) Monaco is about so much more than the actual racing on the Sunday. Unique in that it (supposedly) pays no hosting fee, Monaco earns its place as the blue ribbon event in other ways. For one, it's about the qualifying day. No other race will ever be allowed to race cars around such an unforgiving track. For those of us who gloomily reflect how the design of the modern car has in some ways levelled drivers up, Monaco, like rain, seems to highlight talent... and mistakes. It also brings with it a stack of ever so faintly seedy glamour which is why Somerset Maugham's quote about sunny place for shady people still gets trotted out (see, now I'm doing it too.) 

It's exotic for us, but I guess the drivers have to make more of an effort to find it so because most of them live here, many all in the same block of flats, which always sounds a bit like a council block although presumably one with a lift that doesn't smell of wee.  Monaco is also the more literal home race of wonderkid Charles Leclerc.

Monaco was the last holdout against FOM's horrible plastic podiums and even more horrible plastic gameshow looking flags. Instead, for many years, the winners received their prizes from the prince and his glum looking wife on some steps, and therefore the whole thing always vaguely looked like a wedding party posing for champagne and photos on the Registry office steps:

8ZZ07Iyl.jpg

A  small but pleasing bit of tradition has sadly been erased.

Monaco's greatest hits

For all people moan about the race being dull, a look back through history of the race and several notable things spring to mind

• Ascari crashing into the harbour. As a kid I was always vaguely concerned this might one day somehow happen. Didn't know then it wasn't just a theoretical possibility.
  • Mr Monaco himself, Graham Hill. Here describing how it feels to drive it.
  • 1982 and the race finish described by James Hunt thus: "Well, we've got this ridiculous situation where we're all sitting by the start-finish line waiting for a winner to come past, and we don't seem to be getting one!" Patrese blinked first and took the race win that seemingly no-one wanted.
  • The 1992 duel between Senna and Mansell.
  • Keke Rosberg winning in 1983 with horrifyingly blistered hands.
  • Ayrton Senna and Stefan Bellof having storming Monaco debuts in 1984 in the wet.
  • Ayrton Senna and his mystical experiences during the 1988 qualifying and more prosaic ones during the race the next day, crashing from the lead.
  • Ayrton flying here in 1990:
  •  

• Only three (three!) cars finishing the race in 1996
  • Michael Schumacher being found guilty deliberately of messing up his qualifying to bring out yellow flags and therefore stopping Alonso beating his time.
  • Fernando Alonso threatening to lie down before the cars at the race start like Arthur Dent protesting a bypass if the above wasn't punished. 
  • Nico Rosberg later being found not guilty of doing the same thing to Lewis Hamilton in 2014.
  • Kimi breaking the heart of Adrian Sutil by crashing him out of a podium place in 2008.
  • More positively from Michael, the scene of his last pole position winning time in 2012 even if a grid penalty meant he didn't get to keep it. Also this from 1996.
  • Many more things I've forgotten. Why not add more in the thread?

Lewis Hamilton and Monaco - a semi-requited love affair

Lewis loves the Monaco GP but it hasn't always loved him back.  It was at Monaco 2007 where the first big cracks in the Mclaren driver line up appeared and like Ricciardo and Raikkonen, he knows what it is to have to stand on the podium (or steps) with steam coming out the ears while another driver's national anthem plays  because a seemingly sure win has vanished into the long grass. And of course, he also casually dropped an atomic bomb of an answer here back in 2011 when asked why did he think he was getting penalised so often after a mare of a race. Has also won the thing twice (as have Vettel and Alonso) so his affections aren't totally spurned. 

The track

Monaco is not usually run at that fast a pace and doesn't need to be because overtaking is so hard. (Expect to hear a lot of people smugly saying how track position is king next weekend. Also about bikes ridden around living rooms.) This means you are going to have lots of time to check out the scenery. Pleasingly, just about every bit of the track is named. You can also follow it on google maps!

Last year

Last year's pole lap -  onbaord with Kimi

Last year's race highlights:

https://www.formula1...2017/5/Director's_Cut__Monaco_2017.html

Tyres Tyres Tyres

vSMpIjJm.jpg

This race brings with it those pale pink even softer soft soft softs. Hypersofts. Getting silly now, Pirelli.

Ready to turn the paddock #Fit4F1 Pink?! #MonacoGP #Hypersoft http://ora.cl/1xv5R 

zSPVVKe.jpgl

Helmets

As befitting the magical Monaco specialness, the drivers generally come up with special crash helmets. (One year, Vettel put a pic of a pinup lady whose clothes disappeared when surface got hot, the rascal. I once saw a biro bought back from Vegas where you turned the pen upside down, and, well he'd love it.) 

I am sure Gintonious will also be all over this in the thread about driver crash helmets. I liked that one Lewis did that time that had a drawing of Nicole and Roscoe on the back.

When is this happening?

An hour later than it should! 

z0EnYQl.png

Uniquely on the calendar, free practice is on Thursdays for reasons that get forgotten each and every year, despite an indepth investigation from Sniff Petrol. Market day or something, I don't care.

Be there and guess which of the drivers is going to be the first to get closer to the barriers than they really meant to!

Advertisement

#2 Keral25

Keral25

• 12 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 09:58

You could have mentioned the absolute masterclasses of Schumacher at 1996 qualifying, or 1997 race in the wet, but I guess it doesn't suit your agenda.

Edited by Keral25, 17 May 2018 - 10:00.

#3 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,643 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 10:01

You could have mentioned the absolute masterclasses of Schumacher at 1996 qualifying, or 1997 race in the wet, but I guess it doesn't suit your agenda.

I could have and did!

#4 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,738 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 10:05

My pro-Barrichello agenda demands that the 1997 race in the wet be mentioned!

#5 GoldenColt

GoldenColt

• 6,254 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 10:07

I could have and did!

giphy.gif

#6 Keral25

Keral25

• 12 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 10:08

I could have and did!

Yes, in tiny with no mentioning it was a great qualifying,while senna gets massive praises.

And what about this ?
https://youtu.be/tbNLHGJUGTQ

Edited by Keral25, 17 May 2018 - 10:11.

#7 babbel

babbel

• 2,746 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 10:13

Or Mika Salo scoring points in what is so far the last point finisher without making a single pitstop. Schumachers first pole position was in Monaco in 1994

#8 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,643 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 10:16

As I said, people are encouraged to share their own memories of Monaco magic!

30 years ago, Senna's sensational pole-position lap at the 1988 #MonacoGP transcended the sport. Delve deeper into the story behind that memorable race weekend: 

DdPSHh1W0AIfT0J.jpg

And of course, as the article linked in the tweet note, the crash from the lead in the race the next day. On a personal level, Senna's experience as he describes it in qualifying is fascinating to me. Mihály Csíkszentmihályi would describe it as a state of 'flow', Buddhists would say it's the mental state that everything should be performed in - total concentration and full awareness on the task at hand to overcome the delusion of separation.

(I am aware that Prost has disputed the mythic elements to all this and suggested more prosaically that his engine was less powerful and that this in turn has been challenged by McLaren, btw. )

Fun to see the time sheets, whatever the case!

#9 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,738 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 10:16

Or Mika Salo scoring points in what is so far the last point finisher without making a single pitstop. Schumachers first pole position was in Monaco in 1994

That's an amazing stat. What year was that?

#10 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,643 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 10:18

Or Mika Salo scoring points in what is so far the last point finisher without making a single pitstop.

I don't remember this. How did that even happen?

#11 babbel

babbel

• 2,746 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 10:18

That was in 1997, final points for Tyrrell as well (5th)

#12 SirT

SirT

• 722 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 10:20

#13 babbel

babbel

• 2,746 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 10:22

I don't remember this. How did that even happen?

The GP was really wet and I guess they filled the car till the brim and just stayed out.

#14 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,738 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 10:22

Wet tyres don't wear at anything like the level that dry ones do, I suppose. And the 1997 was quite unusual among F1's wet races in that it basically chucked it down for the whole afternoon. Usually you get a let-up, or the rain comes after the start.

#15 Ragnar668

Ragnar668

• 1,885 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 10:33

1997 to late

Edited by Ragnar668, 17 May 2018 - 10:34.

#16 A3

A3

• 32,104 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 10:33

Max last year just kissing the barrier:

https://gfycat.com/P...FelineIndiancow

Kimi slapping the barrier:

Grosjean's Monaco 2013 highlights:  :drunk:

https://gfycat.com/P...riodicChihuahua

#17 Vielleicht

Vielleicht

• 5,961 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 10:37

• Fernando Alonso threatening to lie down before the cars at the race start like Arthur Dent protesting a bypass if the above wasn't punished.

I never knew this!

#18 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,643 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 10:38

I never knew this!

He told it to Mark Webber who blabbed it to everyone!

#19 Yoshi

Yoshi

• 3,360 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 10:46

Looking forward to this GP  :clap:  hopefully with Kimi on Pole again  :smoking:

Also looking forward to the Hypersoft  :up:

Advertisement

#20 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,551 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 10:49

The track

Monaco is not usually run at that fast a pace and doesn't need to be because overtaking is so hard. (Expect to hear a lot of people smugly saying how track position is king next weekend. Also about bikes ridden around living rooms.) This means you are going to have lots of time to check out the scenery. Pleasingly, just about every bit of the track is named. You can also follow it on google maps!

For all the dullness of the actual race, Monaco is still truly the iconic heart of the sport. More than any other circuit, you can be shown any random corner of the track, and not only instantly recognise it, but recall a host of notable incidents from Grands Prix gone by.

Monaco’s uniqueness is for me the saving grace. There’s simply nothing else like it, and once the build up begins, I always look forward to the weekend!

#21 SilverArrow31

SilverArrow31

• 5,068 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 10:52

It is time for Ricciardo to get that Monaco win.

Lets get Hamilton, Vettel and Ricciardo on two wins a piece. A Red Bull one-two would get them back in the fight to.

Most important and exciting Saturday of the year  :clap:

Edited by SilverArrow31, 17 May 2018 - 10:55.

#22 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,286 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 10:59

I always hoped Jenson Buttons’s run down the start finish straight from parc ferme to the podium would become a tradition.

#23 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,643 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 11:00

I always hoped Jenson Buttons’s run down the start finish straight from parc ferme to the podium would become a tradition.

That was a definitely quite a Monaco moment! Or several moments as everyone waited for him to get there.

#24 l2k2

l2k2

• 976 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 11:02

But, technically it's not the last instance of not having a pitstop during a race!

As the red flag does not quite count as a pitstop (at least during a race), Grosjean didn't pit in Australia in 2016.

Obviously Salo's attempt was far more impressive way of pulling it. The car allegedly didn't have enough fuel to finish even at the slower pace of the rainy race. But Tyrell were counting that the two-hour mark would be barely reachable and ... then some Monaco magic happened.

Retired but classified might have doubled the number of points for the non-pitting Finn.

#25 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,218 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 11:14

More Monaco moments:

- Hamilton crashing in the race yet still winning it somehow (2008?)
- Kubica's insanely good qualifying lap in the Lotus (2010?), gotta be one of the best moments of his career IMO
- Piquet and Patrese trying the same line at the same time and making a BBQ into St Devote (1985?)
- Jarno Trulli's one and only win! (2004)
- semi-retired Jenson Button thinking that overtaking into the corner before the tunnel is a good idea and ending upside down (2017)

#26 A3

A3

• 32,104 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 11:18

- Kubica's insanely good qualifying lap in the Lotus (2010?), gotta be one of the best moments of his career IMO

#27 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,643 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 11:27

Oh, an on-this-day from yesterday:

#OnThisDay in 1999, Michael Schumacher became Ferrari's record race-winner 1f44f.png1f44f.png1f44f.png The German's Monaco GP victory was his 31-20e3.png36-20e3.pngth for the team, overtaking Niki Lauda's total 1f44d.png He would go on to win 35-20e3.png36-20e3.png more races for Ferrari, and five drivers' titles 1f3c6.png

DdQLMqyXkAAlVYd.jpg

#28 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,620 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 11:30

He told it to Mark Webber who blabbed it to everyone!

Speaking of Monaco magic, Webber was always mega at Monaco  :up:  

#29 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,286 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 11:32

Remember Derek Daly and Jean-Pierre Jarier stacking their Tyrrells at Ste Devote in 1980?

#30 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,620 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 11:34

Ricciardo 2016

The highs...

...and the lows.

#31 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 17,401 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 11:35

More Monaco moments:

And more recently, last weekend in the Historics meet, the overtake of Stuart Hall (McLaren M23) by Michael Lyon (McLaren M26), in the wet coming out of the tunnel was worthy of any GP.

Edited by milestone 11, 17 May 2018 - 11:40.

#32 doc83

doc83

• 935 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 11:39

Ricciardo 2016

The highs...

Maybe it's just the sound or a lot of steering corrections, but Kubica's lap is so much more spectacular. 

#33 Perfection

Perfection

• 661 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 11:41

Red Bull is expected to be very strong here. My money is on Ric.

#34 Grayson

Grayson
  • Autosport digital product manager

• 3,497 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 11:46

Great opening post, Sophie. I especially enjoyed the references to Arthur Dent and an awkward registry office wedding shoot...

That was an absolutely amazing afternoon!

That was one of the biggest moments that cemented my love of F1, especially after such an awful year two years prior!

#35 Unicast

Unicast

• 2,120 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 11:52

I also think RedBull will be on pole and win this race.

I hope Ferrari will at least be in front of Merc... hopefully  :confused:

Edited by Unicast, 17 May 2018 - 11:52.

#36 babbel

babbel

• 2,746 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 11:59

Ricciardo 2016

The highs...

...and the lows.

and ofcourse this unforgetable gem

#37 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,738 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 12:02

Only three (three!) cars finishing the race in 1996.

Olivier Panis's pass on Irvine at 0:55 would make Paul Tracy blush.

#38 maverick69

maverick69

• 5,975 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 12:04

Always a corker of a race if it rains.

But if it’s dry.......

#39 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 15,798 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 12:05

Well, first he'd need to find the half second to Verstappen of last year ;). 

Ricciardo usually is very good at Monaco. Last year he struggled a bit with tire warm-up. Shouldn't be a problem with the 10 sets of Hypersofts though!

Advertisement

#40 MasterOfCoin

MasterOfCoin

• 4,997 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 12:09

I thought the Monaco Rally was held in January.... :rotfl: Anyway the Rally/Race is on the Saturday....

#41 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,738 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 12:18

Martin Brundle getting the first of the two tyres that drove over his head during his career, courtesy of Patrick Tambay's Haas-Lola in 1986.

Also, Jean-Pierre Beltoise's only driver's championship Grand Prix victory (remarkably, in his former career as a motorcycle racer he had stood on the 50cc podium of the 1964 French Grand Prix) came there in extremely wet conditions in 1972. Youtube has footage, which includes an interesting look at a pre-tunnel but post-chicane run down to Tabac, if you find that kind of thing interesting.

#42 Claudius

Claudius

• 5,228 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 12:18

I agree, it shows the massive bias. Those are classic moments in F1 in Monaco but since the last name isn’t Senna or Hamilton it doesn’t get mention. I expected better but I should have known...

#43 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,643 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 12:23

I agree, it shows the massive bias. Those are classic moments in F1 in Monaco but since the last name isn’t Senna or Hamilton it doesn’t get mention. I expected better but I should have known...

lol, I did mention it, though.

#44 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,738 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 12:25

References to Senna: 4
References to Michael Schumacher: 3

References to Lewis Hamilton: 3

Sounds about right to me.

#45 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,286 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 12:25

1972 was the unique year that the pitlane was on the run to Tabac.

#46 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,643 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 12:31

Some peak comedy driving from GP2 at the race start in 2013.

#47 robefc

robefc

• 13,534 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 12:33

You expect better from what or from who?

Somebody on a forum starting a thread? 

I would prefer not to have whiny little comments like yours and the poster you quoted but hey, life's not fair man.

#48 Claudius

Claudius

• 5,228 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 12:34

lol, I did mention it, though.

No you didn't but never mind. I know the Schumacher name gives pain to some. 

#49 Claudius

Claudius

• 5,228 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 12:35

You expect better from what or from who?

Somebody on a forum starting a thread? 

I would prefer not to have whiny little comments like yours and the poster you quoted but hey, life's not fair man.

I expect the persons that start a thread and want to state previous classic achievments to not avoid certain achievments just because you don't like that driver.

But I know life is not fair. 

#50 statman

statman

• 7,312 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 12:36

Remember Derek Daly and Jean-Pierre Jarier stacking their Tyrrells at Ste Devote in 1980?

1980_monaco_grand_prix_start_by_f1_histo

Spectacular shot