Photo

Leyton House/March

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Lydmanden

Lydmanden

• 180 posts

Posted 02 June 2001 - 21:25

Just finished viewing my newly acquired season reviews for 89 - 91.

After what seemed to be a bit of an up and down period - failed to qualify both cars in one race and then a podium finish in the next, (Ivan Capelli in an Adrian Newey car) they seemed to dissappear.

Can anybody fill me in with some info. Wasn`t there some rumours of clandestine drug smuggling within the team?

Advertisement

#2 mhferrari

mhferrari

• 3,238 posts

Posted 02 June 2001 - 22:23

I think the Japanese sponsor boss got in trouble with the law. However, back then I just paid attention to the racing.

#3 Bob Amblard

Bob Amblard

• 54 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 13:27

Posted Image

With the support of the powerful japanese group Leyton-House, March maid a return to F1 in 1987. The first results are very poor (the new March F1 was in fact only one F3000 modified). But the team will make speak about it, thanks to the contribution of young engineer named Adrian Newey, whose very perfect designs gave the opportunity to Ivan Capelli to fight with some of the best in 1988.

After disappointing results in 1989, the team is purchased and renamed by Leyton-House.
In 1990, always thanks to the tandem Newey-Capelli, the performances of 1988 are reached. Again the "special" design of Newey's chassis is able as the best, as the worst. The worst with the GP of Mexico, where on an embossed circuit, March failed to qualified ; best two weeks later on the perfectly smooth coating of the Paul-Ricard circuit where Capelli is intercalated on the podium between Prost and Senna after having let escape the victory in the all last turns because of cuts engine :| : ): .
Unfortunately, it will be the last exploit of March in F1.
In 1991, the Leyton-House stay in the funds of grids and at the end of the year, the Leyton-House group is carried by a politico-financial scandal.
That's the end of the Leyton House March team...
The end of March F1 became the following year.

Futhermore, I read that Leyton House wasn't a living mark untill the end of 1988.
I do not remembered the activity of Leytno House...

:smoking:

#4 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 14:12

Originally posted by Bob Amblard
Posted Image

With the support of the powerful japanese group Leyton-House, March maid a return to F1 in 1987. The first results are very poor (the new March F1 was in fact only one F3000 modified). But the team will make speak about it, thanks to the contribution of young engineer named Adrian Newey, whose very perfect designs gave the opportunity to Ivan Capelli to fight with some of the best in 1988.

After disappointing results in 1989, the team is purchased and renamed by Leyton-House.
In 1990, always thanks to the tandem Newey-Capelli, the performances of 1988 are reached. Again the "special" design of Newey's chassis is able as the best, as the worst. The worst with the GP of Mexico, where on an embossed circuit, March failed to qualified ; best two weeks later on the perfectly smooth coating of the Paul-Ricard circuit where Capelli is intercalated on the podium between Prost and Senna after having let escape the victory in the all last turns because of cuts engine :| : ): .
Unfortunately, it will be the last exploit of March in F1.
In 1991, the Leyton-House stay in the funds of grids and at the end of the year, the Leyton-House group is carried by a politico-financial scandal.
That's the end of the Leyton House March team...
The end of March F1 became the following year.

Futhermore, I read that Leyton House wasn't a living mark untill the end of 1988.
I do not remembered the activity of Leytno House...

:smoking:

March never used a 'modified F3000'; they did have two distinct F1 cars in '87 though, the 87P and the 871. The 87P was pretty much an F3000/F1 hybrid adapted from the 87B F3000 when they were both still on the drawing board, as a stopgap to get them to the first race; the 871 owed a fair bit to the 87P but was a 'proper' F1 design. They had problems with engines too, on at least one occasion having to run with a 3.3l DFL instead of a 3.5 DFZ (although ISTR that Capelli scored a point with that!).

(Dallara made their 1988 F1 debut with a 3087 F3000 car, are you mixing it up with that?)

The first Newey car was the 881 -- the 871 was Gordon Coppock/Tim Holloway/Andy Brown (who was in charge of March's later F2s and early F3000s).

The Newey cars were beautiful and aerodynamically much imitated (particularly the 'step' under the nose) but had several problems - the cockpits were absolutely tiny (on more than one occasion they burned out a clutch because the cockpits were too small for the drivers' feet to go anywhere!) and as you say they only ever really worked on very smooth circuits - the Paul Ricard/Silverstone renaissance with the new undertray that Newey left behind was at least in part down to the fact that they were two of the smoothest F1 circuits around (I wonder if they would've been nearly as quick anyway?)

They were 'the team most likely to upset the balance' in '88-9, but it was all going wrong financially, culturally and politically for them in '90. I think one win would've been enough to establish them (assuming they could find a good sponsor to replace Akagi).

Leyton House was the umbrella name for some of Mr Akagi's businesses - I think it was mostly property and leisure.

#5 theunions

theunions

• 638 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 06:42

Originally posted by petefenelon
Leyton House was the umbrella name for some of Mr Akagi's businesses - I think it was mostly property and leisure.

Around 1988, for at least a few months, there was a retail store - appeared to be clothing - in Waikiki along Kalakaua Ave. (next to Moana Hotel) which bore the Leyton House name. Needless to say, I did a double take seeing that when I passed by (I wasn't of driving age then, so stopping to investigate was out of the question).

When I met Capelli in Jan. 2004, he mentioned having visited the store on his one prior visit to Oahu during that timeframe, confirming the clothing aspect.

#6 MODE

MODE

• 306 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 09:02

F1 modeling japanese magazine recentely made a tribute to Leyton House with many photos of the cars, inteview of I.Capelli...

Posted Image

#7 SJ Lambert

SJ Lambert

• 5,343 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 11:37

Bump!!

​Loved the 881 - it did alright in the Portugese GP

#8 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,043 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 12:14

I had a brush with Leyton House in 1989-90.

Akagi's daughter was a big Belinda Carlise fan and when we were in Japan on tour, I dealt with all their requests. After our first show I made sure they invited us to the clothing store in Tokyo. I had a nice conversation, in broken Engrish with the person left in the building saying.. 'how much we all loved F1 and wouldn't it be nice to go to Suzuka for the GP next weekend'.  Later that night I got a phone call at the hotel from a charming British lady named 'Louise' who offered us all tickets and passes to the race.

I got working on the logistics of getting us all up to Nagoya after the show in Osaka the night before the race when one of the back up singers said to me..

"Jon, We have a show at the Blue Note that night.we can't go"

I told her that under NO CIRCUMSTANCES should she let anyone know she had informed me of this ..and I'd make it worth her while down the road.

So, I went to the race myself..Sat at Casio Triangle, saw THAT crash, took the train back to Osaka, made the evening's performance.

No one knew any different.

I STILL owe the back up singer a something.

Jp

#9 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 13:41

I had a brush with Leyton House in 1989-90.

Akagi's daughter was a big Belinda Carlise fan and when we were in Japan on tour, I dealt with all their requests. After our first show I made sure they invited us to the clothing store in Tokyo. I had a nice conversation, in broken Engrish with the person left in the building saying.. 'how much we all loved F1 and wouldn't it be nice to go to Suzuka for the GP next weekend'.  Later that night I got a phone call at the hotel from a charming British lady named 'Louise' who offered us all tickets and passes to the race.

I got working on the logistics of getting us all up to Nagoya after the show in Osaka the night before the race when one of the back up singers said to me..

"Jon, We have a show at the Blue Note that night.we can't go"

I told her that under NO CIRCUMSTANCES should she let anyone know she had informed me of this ..and I'd make it worth her while down the road.

So, I went to the race myself..Sat at Casio Triangle, saw THAT crash, took the train back to Osaka, made the evening's performance.

No one knew any different.

I STILL owe the back up singer a something.

Jp

Typically JP, the few tours we were both involved in at the same time did not allow for ANY racing to be viewed!! Were you on Ten Sumner's Tales when we hired a car for a day at Goodwood? Phil Docherty was itching to get in it, and someone, who wasn't invited stuffed it just before his turn!!

#10 SJ Lambert

SJ Lambert

• 5,343 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 11:20

P1130145.jpg

Good race pace after looking "spectacularly quick everywhere" in practice and quallie!

Edited by SJ Lambert, 25 September 2016 - 11:22.

#11 SJ Lambert

SJ Lambert

• 5,343 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 20:41

The start up procedure for the 1990 car

#12 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,429 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 23:20

Super cool... though maybe HOT better suffices!

Geez, even that seems like a millennium ago, er, maybe 'cause it was. Great era.

#13 king_crud

king_crud

• 7,983 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 15:50

Those cars looked good, such beautiful designs

#14 SJ Lambert

SJ Lambert

• 5,343 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 12:29

Ivan Capelli doing the rounds at Adelaide recently in the CG891 Judd

#15 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,038 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 21:55

That gives some semblance of the Adelaide Parklands on a very short version of the track,, turning right instead of left and going back up Wakefield Rd