Photo

Did Kenny Brack ever test

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 jvl

jvl

• 389 posts

Posted 04 July 2001 - 12:45

Did Kenny Brack every test a formula one car, and if whch teams and when.

Advertisement

#2 Ursus

Ursus

• 2,411 posts

Posted 04 July 2001 - 13:08

From www.kennybrack.com about 1993.

This year I divided my time between Europe and the USA. I participated in four Renault Clio Eurocup races and won two of them. It gave me a lot of valuable publicity because some of the races were support-races to Formula 1 Grand Prix events. My debut in the USA came in another one-type class - Xerex Barber Saab. I managed to win six races and the championship. In all, I won 60 percent of the races I competed in during 1992-93.
My strategy worked and I started to feel comfortable on the Podium, whatever they threw at me. Actually, it was really pleasant sometimes!

At the end of the season, I got the fantastic offer of testing the Williams-Renault F1 World Champion winning car. The test, which was carried out on a rainy day at Paul Ricard in France, went so well that both the team and the Swedish press reported that I had surpassed all expectations. The door to sponsors for a full season in International Formula 3000 was suddenly open.

#3 Joe Fan

Joe Fan

• 5,591 posts

Posted 04 July 2001 - 13:18

I view it as a shame for F1 that Kenny slipped through their hands. He is one of the most versatile drivers in the world and I feel that he would rank easily near the top third in the F1 talent pool if he were in the series today. He would hand David Coulthard and Rubens Barrichello their head if he were driving a machine of par with theirs.

#4 Jonas A

Jonas A

• 113 posts

Posted 04 July 2001 - 13:31

He tested for Arrows as well in 1996. He had a testing contract with them but ended it before the season was over claiming he did not get enough time in the car. As I recall he never posted any impressing times in the Arrows.

#5 Marcel Schot

Marcel Schot

• 5,459 posts

Posted 04 July 2001 - 13:44

In 1993 he tested with Williams at Paul Ricard.

In 1996, Brack first was testdriver at Ligier and later for Arrows.

In May 1996 he signed with Arrows, moving with Tom Walkinshaw from Ligier.
On 12 August 1996 he quit Arrows, as he was getting too little testing time (2 days while 15 days were scheduled)

In early August 1996 he tested the Arrows at Silverstone, but times were not released and also after the French GP he has tested for Arrows.

Sadly I can't find times at the moment.

#6 FLB

FLB

• 29,880 posts

Posted 04 July 2001 - 14:18

Marcel, if that's any help, I recall he tested at Estoril.

#7 Rainer Nyberg

Rainer Nyberg

• 1,768 posts

Posted 05 July 2001 - 21:42

Kenny also tested a Benetton B195 in 1995.
Posted Image

#8 Marcel Schot

Marcel Schot

• 5,459 posts

Posted 06 July 2001 - 06:10

Great one, Rainer! Must have been before 9 June, since Benetton replaced the Mild Seven logo in front of the sidepod with Renault at the Canadian Grand Prix. Too bad it's so hard to find testtimes from those days :(

#9 carlos.maza

carlos.maza

• 170 posts

Posted 06 July 2001 - 18:33

Didn't Kenny Brack have problems in F3000 for "dangerous driving" or something like that?
Is this real?
Was he banned?

#10 Locai

Locai

• 1,952 posts

Posted 06 July 2001 - 18:54

My guess is that if he continues to do well this year and next in CART, he may find the door to F1 open again. That is, if he wants it. Having Bobby Rahal as a boss in CART should at least get Jaguar to notice him!

#11 Uncle Davy

Uncle Davy

• 6,010 posts

Posted 06 July 2001 - 19:06

The main problem with that scenario is that Kenny is 35 years old (b. 3/21/66)...already bit long in the tooth for an F1 rookie in this day and age, I'm afraid...

#12 FLB

FLB

• 29,880 posts

Posted 06 July 2001 - 19:16

Carlos, that impression comes from the way the 1996 Euro F3000 championship ended. He collided with Jörg Müller, his main rival in the championship, during the last race at Hockenheim. He took the German out, assuring himself the championship.

However, the stewards judged it could have been avoided, disqualified him for un-sporting conduct and Müller took the trophy home.

#13 Uncle Davy

Uncle Davy

• 6,010 posts

Posted 06 July 2001 - 19:17

Originally posted by carlos.maza
Didn't Kenny Brack have problems in F3000 for "dangerous driving" or something like that?
Is this real?
Was he banned?

From http://www.kennybrack.com/ :

"This year everything went my way - at least at the beginning. I switched teams to Super Nova Racing. When 10 out of 11 races were over I had been on the podium eight times with victories at Nürburgring, Hockenheim and Silverstone plus two second- and three third-place finishes. The last race of the season was again at Hockenheim and the only challenger for the championship was the German driver, Jürg Müller. I won that race as well but to my teams and many others' great surprise, I was disqualified because of too tough driving when I had passed Müller in the middle of the race. Obviously we appealed but several months later a FIA court awarded Müller the championship. I finished second in front of Ricardo Zonta."

Kenny's obviously trying to put a good face on the incident...well what the heck, it's his official site...;) :D

#14 carlos.maza

carlos.maza

• 170 posts

Posted 06 July 2001 - 19:25

Thanks FLB & Uncle Davy:

I heard something about "dangerous driving" but I didn't know why.

#15 Locai

Locai

• 1,952 posts

Posted 06 July 2001 - 19:31

Brack is 35? Wow, didn't realize that! But, you're right.

Birthdate: March 21, 1966

Gues that means his F1 days are probably over.

Oh well, nothing wrong with racking up a couple of CART titles! :cool:

I must say, he doesn't look that old!:up:

#16 FLB

FLB

• 29,880 posts

Posted 06 July 2001 - 19:40

Originally posted by Locai

I must say, he doesn't look that old!:up:

Or everybody else is older than they say they are!;):p:lol:

EX: Gilles Villeneuve, Nigel Mansell, etc...

#17 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,215 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 20:03

14 years on, Kenny himself has confirmed that he tested for Williams and Arrows, but never for Benetton and Ligier. He also explained a bit more about the Arrows/Ligier situation, plus more - http://www.oldracing...ew/Kenny-Brack/

Nice guy, Kenny.

#18 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,166 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 22:53

Kenny Brack (Williams FW15 Renault) 1993

2cjbxu.jpg

#19 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,166 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 22:55

14 years on, Kenny himself has confirmed that he tested for Williams and Arrows, but never for Benetton and Ligier. He also explained a bit more about the Arrows/Ligier situation, plus more - http://www.oldracing...ew/Kenny-Brack/

Nice guy, Kenny.

1995_Benetton_Brack_Silverstone.jpg

I found this photo which is tagged as Bräck. Any ideas as to who else it could be?

Advertisement

#20 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,291 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 02:45

I know absolutely Nothing about Brack as a driver in F1 or Cart but was very impressed with his performance in the Daytona Cobra coupe' in the wet at the Goodwood Revival-a masterful performance!

#21 Wirra

Wirra

• 1,326 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 07:50

I know absolutely Nothing about Brack as a driver in F1 or Cart but was very impressed with his performance in the Daytona Cobra coupe' in the wet at the Goodwood Revival-a masterful performance!

Brack in a GT40 at Goodwood.