• Please log in to reply
612 replies to this topic

#601 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,680 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:27

Originally posted by GMACKIE
Just for you, Ray:

You should know I only deal in factual stuff, Greg...

By the way, now the Sandman has rated a mention, what about Bobby Goldsboro's song?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzPaf7gDa2c

Advertisement

#602 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 993 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 02:31

I'm a bit late to the Junior Brown party here, but he's done many great car songs. Here's a link to one of his best, "Highway Patrol":

On the Colorado Grand one year, Colorado State Patrol Captain Larry Tolar "sang" this song to the real recording and brought the house down!

Frank

#603 Magoo

Magoo

• 2,428 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 10:14

Yes indeed, great stuff, but this is the first time I heard Junior Brown properly, on Jools Holland's wonderful late night show singing Highway Patrol

It's about cars, and it's still my favourite JB offering, so here's another one to make your Sunday morning go with a song.

You guys made me do it. Junior Brown with the 1966 Red Simpson classic, "Highway Patrol."

http://www.macsmotor...highway-patrol/

#604 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,162 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 21:44

That Chevy Top 100 has to be a fix. "Golden Tears" was probably in any Top Ten of Chevy-mentioning songs, especially in the Southern States. Heard Dave Rowland and Sugar sing it (as support act to Don Williams) at the Jai Alai Fronton in Daytona Beach in 1980 the night before the 500.

Oh...but then "Chevy" is used in the first line of that song as something the social climber wants to leave behind as soon as possible... and it's not a Caddy that's the car of aspiration, that's a...Lincoln! So not a favourite at GM?

Edited by RS2000, 22 June 2013 - 21:48.

#605 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 1,693 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 22:01

Leave me outa this! :)

G M

#606 Kingsleyrob

Kingsleyrob

• 1,483 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:31

Playing some summer tunes on "Rob's Retro Show" a couple of weeks ago, I thought Montego Bay by Bobby Bloom would suit our UK heatwave. I'd been listening to it and singing along too for years, since 1970 in fact, albeit mostly the "oh, oh, oh oh oh oh" bits.

Now then, I can hear you quite rightly saying that the Montego bit doesn't count as it's not referring to our favourite family saloon of the eighties, or indeed the MG Montego Turbo that I recall (perhaps incorrectly) being touted as the fastest production saloon available at the time.

So, putting the Montego bit aside, I nearly fell off me chair when I heard the second line loud and clear through my headphones:

Vernon'll meet me when the Boac lands
Keys to the MG will be in his hands
Adjust to the driving 'n' I'm on my way
It's all on the right side in Montego Bay
Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh
Come sing me La
Come sing me Montego Bay

I shall put it on specially whilst cruising in my MGB, oh, oh ohing at the top of my voice in the summer sunshine!

Rob :wave:
PS Bobby Bloom met an early end less than four years after his solitary hit, aged just 28. He shot himself whilst cleaning his gun. Careless.

#607 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,100 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:43

Keys to the MG will be in his hands

I remember singing along with that one at the time, but I sang Keys to the engine...

#608 Kingsleyrob

Kingsleyrob

• 1,483 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:55

I remember singing along with that one at the time, but I sang Keys to the engine...

Yes now you mention it Rob, that's what I used to sing too!

Rob :wave:

#609 RCH

RCH

• 789 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:21

http://www.lyricsmod...ontego_bay.html

#610 Graham Clayton

Graham Clayton

• 1,067 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:35

Vernon Green and the Medallions - Buick '59 (1954):

http://youtu.be/3LYa-93BYj0

Edited by Graham Clayton, 31 October 2013 - 10:38.

#611 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 23,727 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 14:24

Seeing as he's pinched my sig, here's Saudi comedian (surprisingly, that's not an oxymoron!) Hisham Fageeh's take on his country's driving ban on women: No Woman, No Drive

#612 Graham Clayton

Graham Clayton

• 1,067 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 11:12

Paul Shanklin's "In a Yugo" - parodying Elvis Presley's "In The Ghetto":

#613 D28

D28

• 77 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 21:01

Perusing 11 pages or so. I didn't notice any reference to SW songstress   Lucinda Williams. She has penned some classic lyrics about cars and roadin, including the title song from her CD    Car Wheels On Gravel Road. That same collection includes   Lake Charles  and the great  line driving...

In a yellow El Camino

Listening to Howlin Wolf

From an earlier CD comes    Howlin At Midnight and the line...

Gonna get in my mercury and drive around the world

Classic country song Detoit City by Bobby Bare (Mel Tillis) talks about making cars (and bars)

The last ride is covered by Merle Haggard and others in Long Black Limousine, while Canadian Bluegrassers
The Spinney Brothers,  explore the same theme in Sunday Drive.