Photo

Squirting

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 6,459 posts

Posted 27 July 2001 - 13:01

Does anyone else here cringe a little when the boys do their "Isn't this great, let's squirt champagne everywhere" bit? It looks so ... contrived.

In days of yore, I recall enjoying seeing the winners being taken around the track in the back of an open car or on a truck waving and smiling. Seemed somehow more democratic and humble.

Probably why it'll never happen again.

Vanwall.

Advertisement

#2 bobbo

bobbo

• 841 posts

Posted 27 July 2001 - 13:07

Vanwall:

I agree, it probably will never happen again.:( :( :(

But wouldn't it be nice, though!!!!!!

Bobbo

#3 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,770 posts

Posted 27 July 2001 - 13:07

I blame that AJ Foyt, it's all his fault ....:lol: :lol:

#4 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 27 July 2001 - 13:14

A.J.? I thought it was D.S.!

#5 dbw

dbw

• 993 posts

Posted 27 July 2001 - 16:51

in the old days, the winner usually had his drinks during the race and afterwards seemed to be photographed with a silly garland of flowers around his neck and a ciggie dangling from his lips..[often with cool goggle smudge all over his face]...i'll bet the REAL party happened later that evening at a swank hotel.....

#6 rdrcr

rdrcr

• 2,727 posts

Posted 27 July 2001 - 17:39

Vitesse, fines....

The tradition of spraying of the Champagne was credited to Dan Gurney after winning Le Mans in '67. A.J. was his team mate and also took part....

Ever since most winners of a race that have champagne available, indulge in the liberty of spraying the bubbly all over the place!

#7 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 27 July 2001 - 18:12

I recall a post, maybe on a different forum, that was adamant that it was only D.S. spraying the champagne, with A.J. looking on, hence my reply.

#8 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,770 posts

Posted 27 July 2001 - 20:59

Hmm ... there's another question for Monday!!!:) :)

#9 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,051 posts

Posted 29 March 2002 - 11:20

Here's a new twist to this story... shoot the whole thing down in flames:

1114fr_RCN466hillchampers.jpg

From Racing Car News April 1966, page 19. Race date was February 20, 1966.

Edited by Ray Bell, 27 November 2014 - 04:16.

#10 barrykm

barrykm

• 807 posts

Posted 29 March 2002 - 11:56

What an appalling waste of a lovely drink! I would like to see a GP winner at least have a sip of the stuff before prancing around like a schoolboy - unlikely I know, but maybe, just maybe..

#11 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 29 March 2002 - 12:02

I love it when things like Ray's post happen
The XXXI Australian Grand prix was at Lakeside on 22 Feb 1966 - sixteen months before the Le Mans win.

#12 maxie

maxie

• 1,535 posts

Posted 29 March 2002 - 12:12

i also miss the days when the podium finishers sitting at the back of an open car and waving to the fans. now the gps seem to end so soon and so suddenly. after the race comes the routine press conference. and that's it. somehow something is missing. :|

#13 Bernd

Bernd

• 3,313 posts

Posted 29 March 2002 - 12:35

Nice way to shoot down a legend Ray! This certainly puts a new spin on things.
Also with Graham Hill in mind when he won at Longford in 1964 he filled the Trophy with champers took a sip then proceeded to spit it at everyone, hows that for a podium celebration :lol:

#14 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,770 posts

Posted 29 March 2002 - 12:45

Looks like I'll have to retract that statement then! :)

Correction:
I blame that Graham Hill myself ... :D

Great pic Ray!

#15 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,051 posts

Posted 29 March 2002 - 13:33

Have I ever mentioned that I went to Graham Hill's celebration party that night?

At the Chermside Caravilla... don't know how I came to be there, but I was at the table with the mechanics and some journos... saw the blushing faces of the waitresses over one of Graham's speeches... and we all had some of the champagne.

Old Sid Sakzewski's gone now, and Lakeside looks like it's as good as gone. The Tasman's gone.

We'd better keep the memories lingering...

#16 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,524 posts

Posted 29 March 2002 - 18:45

Lovely pic Ray but let's not get too excited - I vividly recall Les Leston using champagne as an extinguisher on the victory tower at Brands Hatch in about 1962 and I am confident there were many others - but their actions were not screened internationally on TV, and neither was Graham's down under in '66.

Dan and Foyt's celebration on the podium at Le Mans '67 was screened in umpteen countries around the world - as Ford ensured it would be - and that is undoubtedly the point from which the habit became established.

I really enjoyed the days of Saudia-Williams sponsorship, when in deference to their Saudi sponsors' attitude to consumption of alcohol (in public), Jonesie, Regazzoni and Reutemann etc would carefully set the bubbly down beside them and drink water or orange juice, and only occasionally would indulge in spraying that fizzy Froggie stuff around.

DCN

#17 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,051 posts

Posted 29 March 2002 - 21:31

That I've posted this pic in this thread is almost coincidental, Doug...

It's really here in reply to your other thread... photographer's name and all.

#18 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,524 posts

Posted 29 March 2002 - 22:12

Aaah. Many thanks indeed.

DCN

#19 Paesan

Paesan

• 48 posts

Posted 29 March 2002 - 22:30

Where is the BIMBO with big boobs kissing the champion? I rather have that than a parade lap.

Will Corina file for divorce due to the high level of making out that Schumy would be subject to?

Advertisement

#20 D. Heimgartner

D. Heimgartner

• 1,355 posts

Posted 30 March 2002 - 10:46

If Eddie Irvine wins ever again, I have it on good authority he will shake up the bottle really good, pinch it between his legs, and pop the cork! That would make for some graphic footage!!!

#21 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,051 posts

Posted 30 March 2002 - 11:59

Does he need to win?

Last I saw, the champers was shared out with second and third placegetters too.

#22 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,502 posts

Posted 30 March 2002 - 14:02

Originally posted by D. Heimgartner
If Eddie Irvine wins ever again, I have it on good authority he will shake up the bottle really good, pinch it between his legs, and pop the cork! That would make for some graphic footage!!!

I can hardly wait.

#23 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,770 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 19:19

Hmmm ...

In his recently published autobiography, Jackie Stewart claims that it was he who - accidentally - instigated champagne spraying in F1 at the 1969 Dutch GP. He was handed a bottle which had apparently been left in the sun. On opening it, it started spraying all over the place and, being a good and prudent Scot, he attempted to staunch the flow by putting his thumb over the bottle .....

He acknowledges that Gurney had preceded him with the antics at Le Mans, but doesn't mention Graham's exploits at Lakeside.

(The BRM team at Lakeside consisted of Hill and Stewart, but Jackie retired just before half distance, so perhaps he'd already left the circuit before the finish?)

Ray: perhaps you could repost the picture?;)

#24 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 19:54

Originally posted by Vitesse2
In his recently published autobiography, Jackie Stewart claims that it was he who - accidentally - instigated champagne spraying in F1 at the 1969 Dutch GP. He was handed a bottle which had apparently been left in the sun. On opening it, it started spraying all over the place and, being a good and prudent Scot, he attempted to staunch the flow by putting his thumb over the bottle .....

He acknowledges that Gurney had preceded him with the antics at Le Mans, but doesn't mention Graham's exploits at Lakeside.

Careful reading sometimes solves the problem...;)

#25 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,770 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 19:59

Originally posted by fines

Careful reading sometimes solves the problem...;)

Indeed, Michael, which was why I specified "in F1" - as does JYS. My main point was that he'd been at Lakeside ....

Equally, can anyone come up with this happening in F1 before the 1969 Dutch GP?

#26 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,051 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 20:52

Originally posted by Vitesse2
.....(The BRM team at Lakeside consisted of Hill and Stewart, but Jackie retired just before half distance, so perhaps he'd already left the circuit before the finish?)

Ray: perhaps you could repost the picture?

I don't recall whether Jackie was still there or not, but I would reckon he was about somewhere... and I don't even recall if he was at the party that night, come to think of it. But if he wasn't, he would have been very much alone as all the BRM guys were there.

Unfortunately, I can't just go back to the post and edit in a new url for the pic, so it has to be here out of order:

1114fr_RCN466hillchampers.jpg

Edited by Ray Bell, 27 November 2014 - 04:17.

#27 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,051 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 21:02

This might be a little clearer, the reproduction in the magazine was somewhat lousy...

Posted Image

I'm now tempted to wonder what the cryptic message to Doug was about!

#28 john aston

john aston

• 2,682 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 17:26

Yes, I just read the JYS book too; it's the longest powerpoint presentation I have ever seen.Great driver - but spare me the rest pleaase...

#29 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,770 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 20:50

Watching the Brunswick 1978 season review on ESPN Classic, I just spotted an interesting variation on squirting - at the 1978 South African GP, the winner Ronnie Peterson was presented with a large silver punch bowl, into which it appears some of the celebratory champers was deposited (possibly by squirting). Ronnie promptly emptied the bowl over the assembled snappers .... :lol:

... and at Brands Hatch the cork popped before they could hand the bottle to Lole! :lol:

#30 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,051 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 04:22

Originally posted by Paesan
[b]Where is the BIMBO with big boobs kissing the champion? I rather have that than a parade lap.....[/i]

Better late than never, I guess:

1114fr_RCN466hillandgirl.jpg

This was in the same magazine at the same race and it's the same dais. I thought I should just make the picture complete.