Originally posted by jonpollak
cmotd...
Ok... one just one request.
That pic on roll 260 of Françoise in the # 7 Ferrari

I need a new screenpicture
THAT'S THE ONE
Pretty please?

Jp

See post #200 on page 5...................

Paul M

Advertisement

#752 Samas M.

Samas M.

• 61 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 00:03

Originally posted by David Beard

Blimey, pushrod suspension?

Not unknown in the 60's, look at the Lola Mk 5 . :cool:

#753 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 5,996 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 05:34

Originally posted by David Beard

Blimey, pushrod suspension?

And doughnuts on the hubs?

#754 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 13,103 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 13:17

Originally posted by MrMacca

See post #200 on page 5...................

Paul M

Bless your cotton socks Paul M
Posted Image

Jp

#755 Maldwyn

Maldwyn

• 1,486 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 12:27

For those who haven't spotted it yet the 2-disc DVD of 'Grand Prix' is available for just £2.97 on amazon.co.uk :eek:

#756 Macca

Macca

• 3,309 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 20:50

So everyone who hasn't got it already has no excuse............. :cool:

Another still, with Bob Turner on pole at Brands, looking rather like Jo Schlesser, and the third Ferrari of Scarfiotti just visible right at the back:

Posted Image

Paul M

#757 COUGAR508

COUGAR508

• 1,182 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 19:59

Originally posted by Maldwyn
For those who haven't spotted it yet the 2-disc DVD of 'Grand Prix' is available for just £2.97 on amazon.co.uk :eek:

Amazing value. That reminds me. I haven't watched the DVD for a while. I must put that right...

#758 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,810 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 20:09

Originally posted by Maldwyn

Thanks for the info, I am awaiting for the postie to arrive with my discs, what a steal!!!!!

I might even see myself as one of the extras...........albeit just a tad younger :lol:

What a ridiculous price :up:

#759 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,565 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 22:50

Ferrari no 7. Copyright not known

Posted Image

RL

Advertisement

#760 Macca

Macca

• 3,309 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 17:19

http://www.viewimage...&partner=Google

A couple of pictures I hadn't seen before.

Paul M

#761 Macca

Macca

• 3,309 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 16:45

Oops..........had the wrong code there, doesn't seem to like connecting to a site search result...........this might be better, of Pete Aron having a seat-fitting in a (Lotus 25) Yamura:

http://cache.viewima...55A1E4F32AD3138

amd getting some tips from Jim Russell:

http://cache.viewima...55A1E4F32AD3138

Then there is this one, of a rather 'wooden' actor receiving some instructions:
Posted Image

Paul M

#762 MrMacca

MrMacca

• 42 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 10:36

CMOTD posted this contact sheet from his collection on another web forum - apologies for linking but is that JMF beside 'Sarti'?

http://i79.photobuck...20movie/GP7.jpg

Paul M

#763 Greatest

Greatest

• 143 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 22:28

I was watching the "Grand Prix" (once again) this evening, when I noticed a small detail. In Disc 2, at time 05 mins 06 secs Scott Stoddard drives to the pits at Zandvoort: what do you think, does he hit with his right front tire another car's front tire? :confused: :lol: :up:

#764 Macca

Macca

• 3,309 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 07:20

No, he misses it by inches- it's one of the Cooper-Maseratis, and it rolls forward as he passes, despite a bloke waving it not to.

Posted Image

and Frankenheimer adjusts Rindt's facemask for the all-important opening scene at Monaco:

Posted Image

Paul M

#765 RobertE

RobertE

• 166 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 12:11

A bit off topic, chaps, but I have reason to believe that one of the first clutch of BRP cars was used (or at least the body) was used to simulate some other make in this film.

According to Ken Gregory, it was sawn in half at the hub line and mounted on a trailer - I have no idea which one, though...

Is there a pic. of it?

#766 COUGAR508

COUGAR508

• 1,182 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 23:54

Originally posted by Greatest
I was watching the "Grand Prix" (once again) this evening, when I noticed a small detail. In Disc 2, at time 05 mins 06 secs Scott Stoddard drives to the pits at Zandvoort: what do you think, does he hit with his right front tire another car's front tire? :confused: :lol: :up:

I have just watched the DVD again in its entirety, and did notice the incident in the Zandvoort pits. Stoddard was travelling at some speed, and the near-collision almost looks like an optical illusion, but it must be real, as there were no such visual effects available in 1966.

#767 Neuz

Neuz

• 159 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 15:17

Well, the wife has taken the kids out of town for the weekend and you guys have me all fired up to watch Grand Prix again. Thank you and I can't wait!!!

On a side note: It is also making me want to reinstall Grand Prix Legends on my computer. What a fantastic game!!

Thanks guys!

Neuz
www.yesterdaysneuz.com

#768 COUGAR508

COUGAR508

• 1,182 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 19:26

Originally posted by Neuz
Well, the wife has taken the kids out of town for the weekend and you guys have me all fired up to watch Grand Prix again. Thank you and I can't wait!!!

On a side note: It is also making me want to reinstall Grand Prix Legends on my computer. What a fantastic game!!

Thanks guys!

Neuz
www.yesterdaysneuz.com

I hope you enjoy watching the movie again. It still stands up very well today, particularly of course the magnificant racing footage. I also feel that the acting is superior to that in your average racing film, although some of the real F1 drivers who had lines perhaps needed some acting lessons!

#769 Lee200

Lee200

• 58 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 02:15

Originally posted by Neuz

Thanks guys!

Neuz
www.yesterdaysneuz.com

Hello everyone.

I'm a new subscriber to the forum and stumbled across this incredible thread about Grand Prix. I've been a fan of this cult classic since it came out 40 years ago and have especially enjoyed everyone's comments concerning the movie.

I'm also associated with the development team for a "legendary" F1 simulation and we are shortly going to release an update that will cover the '66 season. As part of this update, there will be a very faithful coverage of our favorite racing movie. Our goal is to make the mod as accurately as possible.

We are having a bit of trouble deciding on what color the Yamura used for it's stripes. From my DVD, in some races the stripe appears dark green while in other races, namely Monza, the stripe is dark blue.

As the experts on this incredible movie, I expect someone here knows the correct answer. Can anyone help another Grand Prix fanatic?

Thanks,

Lee

#770 Macca

Macca

• 3,309 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 06:48

Hello and welcome!

Definitely dark green (the Nicholas Watts painting is blue, but that's wrong).

Paul M

#771 Greatest

Greatest

• 143 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 08:25

I welcome you, Lee! Hope you'll enjoy the forum...! :clap: :wave: :up:

#772 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,823 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 09:30

Welcome, Lee!

As a poor inept Legends racer, I have been following the development of the '66 mod on other forums with great interest.

It was slated to appear around Christmas; is this still the case?

Anyway, welcome to the wonderful family of TNF and (please can we have a 1961 mod for Legends next, please.)

#773 Lee200

Lee200

• 58 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 13:26

Originally posted by Macca
Hello and welcome!

Definitely dark green (the Nicholas Watts painting is blue, but that's wrong).

Paul M

Thanks Paul. Dark green is the color we were leaning toward. The skins are already done. We will also include a blue stripped skin in case someone really wants one.

I've seen the Watts' painting and that certainly causes confusion. You'd think he would have used the correct color! :)

Lee

#774 Lee200

Lee200

• 58 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 13:34

Originally posted by Barry Boor
Welcome, Lee!

As a poor inept Legends racer, I have been following the development of the '66 mod on other forums with great interest.

It was slated to appear around Christmas; is this still the case?

Anyway, welcome to the wonderful family of TNF and (please can we have a 1961 mod for Legends next, please.)

Hi Barry,

Yes, unless there is some major problem at the last minute, you should definitely find a present under your Christmas tree. :)

I was associated with the earlier '69 mod and while that was a great mod in it's own right, the '66 mod is by far the most developed and tested mod ever done. The physics are greatly improved, both player and AI, the graphics are wonderful, there are 16 new and unique cars, and of course we get to simulate a particularly favorite movie too. :)

I hate to admit it, but I can watch Sarti, Aron, Stoddard, and Barlini race again for hours.

Lee

#775 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,019 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 14:43

Should you consider doing TWO different '66 mods? One being reality and the other the season as seen in the film (e.g. Monza banked plus road circuit).

#776 Macca

Macca

• 3,309 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 14:47

Presumably people who are skilled with GPL (i.e. not me!) will be able to download the full Monza from one of the track databases, as well as Clermont-Ferrand to replace Reims.

Paul M

#777 Lee200

Lee200

• 58 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 15:09

Yes, there are literally hundreds of tracks available. Reims, Clermont-Ferrand, the banked and nonbanked versions of Monza are just a few of them.

There won't be two mods as the primary goal is to replicate the real world
'66 season; however, the mod will include an option to race against our favorite movie drivers too. :)

Lee

#778 MickyD

MickyD

• 66 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 14:31

Originally posted by MCS

Yes I'm pretty sure it was a pub on the A20 / London Road heading back into London, about two or so miles from Brands. I say "was" as it's now flats.

I remember stopping off there many years ago (28 to be exact!).

Can't remember what it was called - it's certainly not evident now. I'll try to stop and ask next time I'm in the area - somebody will know I would have thought.

Was it "The Farningham"? That was a very big country pub not far from Brands on the A20. It was also used in an episode of "The Saint" in the sixties when they used Brands Hatch for a racing themed episode.

#779 Manfred Cubenoggin

Manfred Cubenoggin

• 795 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 19:26

Welcome, Lee! :)

Buzzzzzzzzzz...

Advertisement

#780 Chris Skepis

Chris Skepis

• 179 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 03:05

Hi Lee
Just in case you didn´t squeeze some lemon juice over your screen and place it in front of a candle light, Barry Boor´s last line reads this:
"please can we have a 1961 mod for Legends next, please"
So, don´t forget the white lether sides on Stirling´s helmet !!

#781 Lee200

Lee200

• 58 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 03:26

Hi Chris,

Yes, I overlooked Barry's plea. :p

I'd love to see a '61 mod too. The shark nosed Ferrari with Phil Hill would be cool as would racing against Sir Moss. However, I don't think that mod is anywhere on the horizon.

In the works though are a fifties mod (Fangio and all those other greats), a thirties mod (Nuvolari, etc,), and a sports car mod (pre Michael Delaney). These are all in various stages of development and because R&D money is tight, it may be a while before any of these see the light of day.

While the physics side of the house takes a lot of time, it is the graphics development that has been the long pole in the tent. There are efforts underway to automate this so that new car skins and 3DO models can be produced more quickly, but it is still a work in progress.

If any of you are interested in F1 sims, Grand Prix Legends is still the king after almost 10 years! The physics are still the best and are constantly being improved while the graphics are very good even by contemporary standards. You can pick up the program on eBay or other online sources for almost nothing. And all the mods are priced right...they're free!

Lee

#782 R.W. Mackenzie

R.W. Mackenzie

• 247 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 14:27

Until recently I also thought the Yamura stripe was blue. I even painted my
Scalextric 1965 Cooper F1 with a blue stripe:

[IMG]http://img139.images...g1953oq5.th.jpg[/IMG]

I apologize for any confusion this may have caused. (I guess a repaint is in order!)

Bob Mackenzie

#783 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,823 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 14:52

It's always been an matter of chicken and egg regarding the Yamura colour scheme.

When Grand Prix started filming - at Monaco - it was the first race for the new McLaren. The white and green colour scheme was new then. But, did Frankenheimer 'suggest' the colours to Bruce, or did Bruce decide upon them and Frankenheimer take up the idea?

Being a Japanese car in the film, I was always peeved that there wasn't a red disc on the car. :rolleyes:

Later in the season, of course, other teams were paid to paint their cars in the same colours as the McLaren never raced in every Grand Epreuve that year.

The sharp-eyed and indeed not-so-sharp-eyed watcher would see several different shaped Yamuras during the film.

#784 Lee200

Lee200

• 58 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 16:57

The sharp-eyed and indeed not-so-sharp-eyed watcher would see several different shaped Yamuras during the film. [/B]

Yes for example at Monza, Stoddard apparently changes cars in the middle of the race from a P261 to a P83. I think he may even change back from the P83 to the P261 on the last lap!

Of course, these were the movie cars and they don't perfectly match the real world cars so it's difficult to tell.

Lee

#785 Lee200

Lee200

• 58 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 17:03

Originally posted by R.W. Mackenzie
Until recently I also thought the Yamura stripe was blue. I even painted my
Scalextric 1965 Cooper F1 with a blue stripe:

[IMG]http://img139.images...g1953oq5.th.jpg[/IMG]

I apologize for any confusion this may have caused. (I guess a repaint is in order!)

Bob Mackenzie

Bob,

Well it's all confusing and the movie doesn't help. I may have mentioned before that I have a screenshot of the Yamura factory in which several car bodies are lined up together. One looks blue while the rest look green!

BTW, how do I post a screenie? When I click on the IMG button, I get something about inserting text to be formatted.

Lee

#786 Rob Ryder

Rob Ryder

• 2,058 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 19:18

Later in the season, of course, other teams were paid to paint their cars in the same colours as the McLaren never raced in every Grand Epreuve that year.

.. Spa and Bondurant's P261 was repainted from blue/whte to the McLaren colours.. they even renumbered it to #24 in the race! He didn't complete the first lap ;)
Rob

#787 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,723 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 20:12

Originally posted by Lee200

BTW, how do I post a screenie? When I click on the IMG button, I get something about inserting text to be formatted.

Check the fourth sticky subject from the top.

#788 Lee200

Lee200

• 58 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 20:33

Originally posted by David Shaw

Check the fourth sticky subject from the top.

Aha, I see the instructions now. So you can't upload an image directly to Atlas, rather you must have it on another server somewhere, then link to it.

Lee

#789 Macca

Macca

• 3,309 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 07:09

Originally posted by Rob Ryder

.. Spa and Bondurant's P261 was repainted from blue/whte to the McLaren colours.. they even renumbered it to #24 in the race! He didn't complete the first lap ;)
Rob

Before Barry appears, the Chamaco-Collect BRM was dark green, not blue, about as dark as the works cars but not metallic/'lustrous'.

It was also painted white for the British GP, but only for the race (but is seen in both colour schemes, as is Spence's Parnell Lotus which was repainted red for the race, as film of practise was mixed in with race footage) and also for the German GP which we don't see in the finished film.

Spence's car was also painted white/green for the Dutch GP:
Posted Image
By paulmacca

but the green was lighter than that used by McLaren/Yamura.

To save trawling through the whole thread, see P14......

Paul M

#790 Macca

Macca

• 3,309 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 22:04

It's always been an matter of chicken and egg regarding the Yamura colour scheme.

When Grand Prix started filming - at Monaco - it was the first race for the new McLaren. The white and green colour scheme was new then. But, did Frankenheimer 'suggest' the colours to Bruce, or did Bruce decide upon them and Frankenheimer take up the idea?

Being a Japanese car in the film, I was always peeved that there wasn't a red disc on the car. :rolleyes:

The sharp-eyed and indeed not-so-sharp-eyed watcher would see several different shaped Yamuras during the film.

I wondered about the McLaren colours too - the story is that they were going to use a scheme with a lot of yellow in it, as seen on the 1966 german GP programme cover:

Posted Image
but kept to white/green at MGM's behest.............however, the Yamura seen at Monaco in the 'Making of GP' DVD is plain white............and McLaren used the white/green scheme (with dark grey fuel tanks) for the 1966 Tasman series long before the film shooting started.

Apart from Bondurant's BRM at Spa, Brands and the 'Ring, and Spence's Lotus at Zandvoort, the other 'actual' car seen in Yamura colours is a Brabham-BRM which Chris Amon practised at Monza but failed to qualify - however, it made it into the film.

And a Lotus 25 was often used as a Yamura with Garner driving, as well as the disguised Lotus 20 'kiddy cars' - the 25 is what he has his seat fitting in (at the Cooper factory!).

Meanwhile, some more out-take shots:
Posted Image
(no idea where, or who the girl is)

Posted Image
and the scene in the Ferrari racing department.

Paul M

#791 Macca

Macca

• 3,309 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 07:06

Another picture found recently - a lobby-card of the start of the film version Belgian GP:

Posted Image

and a crop from CMOTD's contact sheet, apparently of Fangio with his old mate Sarti at Monaco:

Posted Image

Lee200, Imageshack is the photo site of choice - you upload pictures to it and then copy-&-paste the code for either 'embeddable code for forums' or 'thumbnail code for forums' onto your reply here.....look forward to seeing yours.

Paul M

Edited by Macca, 29 January 2010 - 20:43.

#792 Lee200

Lee200

• 58 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 03:35

Originally posted by Macca

Lee200, Imageshack is the photo site of choice - you upload pictures to it and then copy-&-paste the code for either 'embeddable code for forums' or 'thumbnail code for forums' onto your reply here.....look forward to seeing yours.

Paul M [/B]

Thanks Paul,

I'll try to upload some screenshots of the "legendary" Aron, Sarti, Stoddard, and Barlini once the mod is officially released. It's pretty cool with actual driver faces and helmets. We've got the Yamura in a reskinned Lotus25-BRM so the shape is exact. Of course, we also have the Ferrari 312, BRM P83 and P261 along with the other real world cars.

One question as I know you're the expert after reading the last six years of posts in this and other threads. :)

I believe the Jim Russell cars that were reskinned as F1 cars were actually Lotus 20s. Correct?

I've read in a few sources that they were F3 cars, but that is incorrect.

Lee

#793 Macca

Macca

• 3,309 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 10:20

Lee,
The only race where the Yamura was a Lotus 33-BRM was Zandvoort, though the in-car shots were of the usual fakes; also there was Bondurant's white BRM at Spa and Brands, and a Brabham-BRM seen at Monza which Amon had tried to qualify. Otherwise the real McLaren M2B (with Serenissima engine) is seen at Brands, and the Lotus 25 'Yamura' is seen as often as the Lotus 20 version.

You can see when the 'kiddy-car' fakes with the black-painted outboard front springs are seen, they have no top link to the rear suspension; so they are all Lotus 20s. Also they are usually seen from the right-hand side so that the real intakes on the left aren't seen; the close-up of the rear of a 'Ferrari' at Monaco on an earlier page shows the stub exhaust is also on the left, so they are indeed FJs.

Look forward to seeing the screenshots.

Paul M

#794 R.W. Mackenzie

R.W. Mackenzie

• 247 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 23:28

:drunk:
All right, I used to think I was obsessed with this movie before (brother, sisters, girlfriends and wives, both ex and current, would agree) but now it has been raised to a new level. You people have me watching parts frame by frame and taking stills just to be sure of what I thought I had seen.

I always thought that at least one of the genuine racing sequences at Monza showed a Lotus-BRM as a Yamura and I didn't even know that there had been a Brabham-BRM used. And so as Paul had said there was no Lotus 33 BRM but there was a Brabham-BRM, I had to take a closer look.

The first thing I realized was that there are very few shots of the "Yamuras" from the actual race weekend. Almost all are of the rebodied Lotus 20's in staged sequences. There is one very brief shot of a "Yamura" that seems to be taken from the race or race weekend and this is the one I had remembered as a Lotus-BRM. It's shortly before poor old Jean-Pierre buys the farm and it is between a longer shot of Bandini (oops, sorry, Barlini) and an equally brief shot of Stewart (Stoddard). The shot is taken through the trees and it was very hard to find a decent frame to capture. This is the best I could do:

Posted Image

(I've cropped it considerably to reduce the file size.)

It sure looks like a Lotus-BRM but Spence is listed as #42 that weekend (unless he changed numbers after Amon DNQ'd).

Amon's car is shown on entry to Parabolica on the final lap of the fictitious race and is much clearer and is unmistakable as a Brabham. In the second picture you can even see clearly that it is Amon driving:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

It's also clearly not the same car as in the first picture above. The driver in the first picture is wearing a bandanna while Amon is not. The car in the first picture has wheels with dark centers while Amon's are white. The engine cover is different as well and while you can't see the whole car in the first picture what you can see is very Lotusy (Is that a word?).

So who is in the first picture?

Bob Mackenzie

#795 R.W. Mackenzie

R.W. Mackenzie

• 247 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 23:34

I just took another look at the pictures and realized another difference. In the first picture the driver is wearing a helmet painted a la Pete Aron (with the red stripe on the driver's right and the blue on the left) while Chris is wearing his soon to be famous paint scheme (identical but with the colours reversed).

Bob Mackenzie

#796 Lee200

Lee200

• 58 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 23:57

Bob,

I remember seeing that long shot through the trees at Aron. I think if you look closely at the right front nose section, there is a NACA duct. I'm on another computer and don't have access to all my photo stuff, but I think the only car that had that was the McLaren M2B. So perhaps it was McLaren himself driving.

EDIT:

Actually I've seen some pics of the Lotus 25 which had a NACA duct there too.

Lee

#797 R.W. Mackenzie

R.W. Mackenzie

• 247 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 15:38

Hi Lee,

You're right about the NACA ducts on the McLaren 2B. Here's a beautiful shot of McLaren leaving the pits at Brands Hatch:

(That is, there would be the beautiful shot described above if I could get ImageShack to let me access my page!)

I'd never seen it before and found it at this site:

http://www.derapate....o/date/2006/05/

But if you look at the picture above of Spence at Zandvoort, you'll see that the Lotus had the same feature. I took two more stills of the mystery "Yamura" at Monza that show the NACA ducts. These two stills make the car look even more Lotusish (very similar to Lotusy). However I'm having some difficulty getting ImageShack to cooperate this morning. So I may not be able to post them right now.

I tried to find a picture of the actual start of the 1966 Italian Grand Prix (as opposed to the staged start) and have been unsuccessful. I wanted to see if there were any "Yamuras" in the real race. However, putting "Grand Prix" under the microscope again, I found a very brief scene that I think shows the cars coming towards the camera as they make the run down to Curva Grande on the first lap. It's right after the first few sequences on the banking and at first I thought it was a staged scene because the cars pass under the camera right at the point where the cars would veer off to the north banking and I don't know of any structure that existed from which you could take that shot during an actual race.

I'm pretty sure it's from the actual race as the order of the cars is more in line with reality than Hollywood. As the cars get close enough to identify they become very blurred but I'm pretty sure Ginther's Honda is in the leading gaggle and the Cooper's of Surtees and Rindt aren't far behind. None of these cars are ever featured in the staged scenes. And Stewart's BRM is buried in the pack rather than being at the front dicing with the Ferrari and Yamura that shared the front row in the Hollywood version. I'm pretty sure it is the start because Graham Hill (or was it Bob Turner? I'm starting to confuse myself.) is running behind Stewart and he didn't finish the first lap. And I think in the background you can still see the cloud of tire smoke from the grid.

The point of all this was to see if there were any "Yamuras" in the actual race. It would be surprising if there weren't any given the lengths that Frankenheimer went to when McLaren was a no-show. There are about 15 of the 20 starters that can be seen in this brief flash but there seems to be one "Yamura" back in the pack roughly where Spence might have been at the start. The car is just a blur so spotting a number is not possible.

I found several race summaries on the web but no actual descriptions of the event. One of the better ones is here:

http://www.silhouet....1/1966/66i.html

In all of these summaries they list only 22 cars (20 starters plus Chris Amon and Phil Hill), however in Michael Frostick's book "Return to Power, The Grands Prix of 1966 and 1967" I found this comment about practice and qualifying:

"29 cars had actually practised-or one should perhaps say 29 drivers, for there was so much chopping and changing with different cars appearing with the same number that the confusion for the spectators was complete and for the time-keepers evidently considerable. Finally it was agreed that the fastest 20 would start, which left Hill and Amon out, as well as Taylor's Shannon-Climax which had re-appeared after its showing at Brands Hatch, and Gardner with something called the Willment-Climax V8, and Innes Ireland with a Brabham B.R.M."

So it's possible in all this chaos that, with McLaren not entered and Amon not qualified, some frantic repainting and renumbering took place overnight. But I can find nothing to confirm it.

Well, I've been stalling here hoping ImageShack would start working but it hasn't and I have to go. I'll try and upload the pictures in a few hours.

Bob Mackenzie

#798 ianselva

ianselva

• 249 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 15:48

"(no idea where, or who the girl is"
That has to be Brands paddock, although I have no idea who she is.

#799 Macca

Macca

• 3,309 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 18:13

Bob, you're right - that first photo is Spence. A photo of the start in 'Motor' clearly shows that his car was painted white for the race, and both the 2-litre works Loti were green/yellow. So I missed that 'Yamura'.......

But here is another lobby card, of Aron in a Lotus 33 'Yamura' with Rindt in the BRM P261 disguised as a P83, as seen sometimes during the last lap duel:

Posted Image

Paul M

Advertisement

#800 R.W. Mackenzie

R.W. Mackenzie

• 247 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 18:23

I'm back and ImageShack is now cooperating so here is the picture of Bruce in the pits at Brands Hatch:

Posted Image

And here are the two additional shots of the mystery "Yamura":

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here is the shot I believe shows the start of the real race:

Posted Image

This shows the mid-field runners from the same sequence:

Posted Image

These cars are just behind Stewart and Graham Hill. The green car with the white stripe is Bob Anderson and the red car behind the "Yamura" is either Bonnier or Baghetti. Baghetti ran a fourth Ferrari borrowed by Reg Parnell after his Lotus-BRM packed it in in practice. My guess is it is Bonnier as their appear to be two white stripes in a later frame. The car beside him is Bondurant is his private BRM followed by Siffert and then Arundell.

These are the cars in amongst which Spence would have started and so my guess is that he's the one driving the "Yamura". Since I started writing this Paul has responded with more conclusive evidence in support. So I think we can say that we've beaten this one to death. (Not that I haven't had fun. I've learned how to capture stills from DVD's while doing it and how to micro-analyze every aspect of "Grand Prix"!)

Paul, could you post the picture of the start you refer to? I'd love to see it.

Bob Mackenzie