Photo

'Grand Prix' - the out-takes?

• Please log in to reply
1498 replies to this topic

#1251 Macca

Macca

• 3,311 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:45

From the numbers on the cars, it would seem to be Monza. From the left: Schlesser, Frankenheimer with a tall relaxed driver in a dark helmet behind him, Sabato, ?, Phil Hill bareheaded with back to camera, and Bondurant. If ? is Williams, he must be standing on a box, as Bondurant is a big tall chap.

Paul M

Advertisement

#1252 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,395 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:43

From the numbers on the cars, it would seem to be Monza. From the left: Schlesser, Frankenheimer with a tall relaxed driver in a dark helmet behind him, Sabato, ?, Phil Hill bareheaded with back to camera, and Bondurant. If ? is Williams, he must be standing on a box, as Bondurant is a big tall chap.

Paul M

It's no driver I recognize. Who had a white visor on a dark helmet? Are you sure it's not another actor? Too short to be Gurney.

#1253 roger.daltrey

roger.daltrey

• 51 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:29

How about Skip Scott ?

His helmet features in the opening credits, so he got some airtime.

#1254 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,395 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 20:20

How about Skip Scott ?

His helmet features in the opening credits, so he got some airtime.

I hadn't considered Skip; you might be right...good thought!

#1255 Macca

Macca

• 3,311 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:55

Definitely a good thought - although the helmet looks similar to Jonathan Williams' (allowing for shading differences in b/w photos) the height is wrong and the facial features didn't seem right...............but looking at
http://www.cliffreut.....K PARSONS.jpg

and
http://www.barcboys..../Skip Scott.jpg

there's definitely a resemblance.

(I had a quick look at the Monza part of the DVD the other day for clues, but no joy.)

Paul M

#1256 Macca

Macca

• 3,311 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 15:19

For anyone who is still interested in Francoise Hardy:

Posted Image

Paul M

#1257 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,825 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 15:45

How could one NOT be?

#1258 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,395 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 17:29

How could one NOT be?

I couldn't agree more; she certainly made feel that "this" is a real European girl. Her performance solidified that aspect for me. She was cast perfectly IMO.

#1259 jeffbee

jeffbee

• 57 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 13:59

Posted Image

Paul M

You can agonise about who plays who in the film and the technical errors, but at the end of the day pictures of Francoise seem to clear up any issues! I'm sure no one is interested and certainly wouldn't want to waste their time aimlessly looking at pictures of her, but on the offchance - her site is here: http://www.francoise...m/Galerie-Photo

Jeff

Advertisement

#1260 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,120 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 14:23

You can agonise about who plays who in the film and the technical errors, but at the end of the day pictures of Francoise seem to clear up any issues! I'm sure no one is interested and certainly wouldn't want to waste their time aimlessly looking at pictures of her, but on the offchance - her site is here: http://www.francoise...m/Galerie-Photo

Jeff

And isn't that a Les Leston brolly she's holding in the first pic on that site? And thank you, yes, I know it's sad for me to notice the parapluie in the midst of so much Francoise ...

#1261 rdrcr

rdrcr

• 2,697 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 14:30

Posted Image

Paul M

True beauty lasts... and there's some mighty fine genes at work! Happy to see what appears to be zero "enhancements" over the course of her life - good for her. So many celebrities try to keep their good looks and end up looking like freak-shows.

#1262 rdrcr

rdrcr

• 2,697 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 14:36

Thought I'd put in a redundant request in this thread... so, thanks in advance. I am searching for a photo taken in 1965 of the GT40 used for filming Grand Prix. The location would be at Watkins Glen in the pit lane. Of particular interest would be a small boy in the passenger seat of that car. That kid would be an old friend of mine!

Edit: BTW, there is a photo of this GT40 in Mike's book on page 67

Thanks again ~

Edited by rdrcr, 06 March 2012 - 15:06.

#1263 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,149 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 16:34

Thought I'd put in a redundant request in this thread... so, thanks in advance. I am searching for a photo taken in 1965 of the GT40 used for filming Grand Prix. The location would be at Watkins Glen in the pit lane. Of particular interest would be a small boy in the passenger seat of that car. That kid would be an old friend of mine!

Edit: BTW, there is a photo of this GT40 in Mike's book on page 67

Thanks again ~

Richard - With it being at Watkins Glen; possibly Bill Green at the International Motoring Racing Research Center might run across something in their archives documenting this. Have you touched bases with him?

#1264 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,395 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 16:59

Richard - With it being at Watkins Glen; possibly Bill Green at the International Motoring Racing Research Center might run across something in their archives documenting this. Have you touched bases with him?

I thought I saw a shot of that GT-40 on the USGP topic? I'll have a look.

Correction, Richard yes that is where I saw it too in Michael's book. I agree the original is probably at the INRRC.

Edited by David M. Kane, 06 March 2012 - 17:30.

#1265 Ralliart

Ralliart

• 669 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 17:18

Wow!

Interviewed 20 years ago, Frankenheimer said GP cost some $10 million to make and estimated that it would be in the neighborhood of $100 million to make now (1992).

#1266 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,395 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 17:32

Interviewed 20 years ago, Frankenheimer said GP cost some $10 million to make and estimated that it would be in the neighborhood of $100 million to make now (1992).

Ralliant so add to the '92 figure an estimate for 2012 inflated dollars and I say between $120-140M USD which I suspect Ron Howard's RUSH will come in at.

#1267 Ralliart

Ralliart

• 669 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 17:42

I don't know if anyone has cited the Jan '67 issue of American Cinematographer before but it is all about Grand Prix "Filiming The Races For 'Grand Prix'" it states on the cover. Gordon Enterpriss has a two-page ad that includes several photos of he GT-40, a shot of Jack Brabham wearing a helmet with cameras on both sides of it. There's a shot of Bob Bondurat doubling for Bedford, Brabham driving a camera car, Phil Hill, with Frankenheimer as passenger, in a 427 Cobra and several detailed articles.
Car and Driver's Jan '67 issue has a lot of material on GP including a photo of Graham Hill sitting in a camera car at Clermont- Ferrand, more shots of the GT-40, Chris Amon in a camera car with David Piper above him in a camera car (that can spin), some good articles.
Sports Car International's March '92 issue had "The Making Of Grand Prix" with an interesting article/photos.
As for the unidentified driver in the photo, it might be Scarfiotti (he's listed in the GP program as being a participant in the film (whereas Piper isn't).

#1268 Ralliart

Ralliart

• 669 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 18:04

To help clarify things, perhaps a listing of known doubling would be in order:
Garner has said that he actually doubled - or helped fill up the field in at least one sequence, so he must be listed. Doubling for Bedford were Bondurant, Ginther and Rindt. Anyone have any others?

#1269 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,157 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 19:02

I don't know if anyone has cited the Jan '67 issue of American Cinematographer before but it is all about Grand Prix "Filiming The Races For 'Grand Prix'" it states on the cover.
[...]

In case someone missed it:
American Cinematographer January 1967 and photos from a Riverside 'shakedown" for techniques.

#1270 rdrcr

rdrcr

• 2,697 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 19:21

Brian, I did think of Bill, but really didn't want to bother him about it. I hope he won't mind, as it seems sort of trivial, but it would mean a lot to my friend if we were to find such a photo. I have to think with all of the photos being taken at that time, someone would have snapped a picture!

#1271 Macca

Macca

• 3,311 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:25

All the magazine articles and pictures a couple of posts ago have been linked or shown earlier in this thread...........you only have to trawl through 32 pages!

As to drivers and actors doubling - it's not simple. Rindt also drove a Yamura sometimes, and was seen driving an Eagle in the aerial shots of the early part of the Belgian GP. The only shot where I've spotted Garner in another car is driving a Lotus at Monaco here.

For footage shot during the real races, Spence's Lotus-BRM was sometimes painted as a Yamura, as was Bondurant's BRM, due to the frequent absence of McLaren. At Brands, Spence's car was red due to the absence of Ferrari and Bonnier drove one of MGM's Brabham-Climax's also in red. At Monza Chris Amon practised in another MGM Brabham painted as a Yamura but non-started, so Spence's car was repainted for the race.

Bandini has been seen in a couple of film stills at Monaco, and Scarfiotti drove the MGM McLaren M3, painted red, for the fake Italian GP start. Jo Schlesser wore Graham Hill/Bob Turner's helmet in a fake BRM in some shots.

And of course Jim Russell drove Sarti's 'Ferrari' for the bit where the wheel comes off at Spa,

But enough of this - here another shot of Francoise:

Posted Image

Paul M

Edited by Macca, 07 March 2012 - 10:42.

#1272 jeffbee

jeffbee

• 57 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:40

All the magazine articles and pictures a couple of posts ago have been linked or shown earlier in this thread...........you only have to trawl through 32 pages!

As to drivers and actors doubling - it's not simple. Rindt also drove a Yamura sometimes, and was seen driving an Eagle in the aerial shots of the early part of the Belgian GP. The only shot where I've spotted Garner in another car is driving a Lotus at Monaco here.

For footage shot during the real races, Spence's Lotus-BRM was sometimes painted as a Yamura, as was Bondurant's BRM, due to the frequent absence of McLaren. At Brands, Spence's car was red due to the absence of Ferrari and Bonnier drove one of MGM's Brabham-Climax's also in red. At Monza Chris Amon practised in another MGM Brabham painted as a Yamura but non-started, so Spence's car was repainted for the race.

Bandini has been seen in a couple of film stills at Monaco, and Scarfiotti drove the MGM McLaren M3, painted red, for the fake Italian GP start. Jo Schlesser wore Graham Hill/Bob Turner's helmet in a fake BRM in some shots.

And of course Jim Russell drove Sarti's 'Ferrari' for the bit where the wheel comes off at Spa,

But enough of this - here another shot of Francoise:

Posted Image

Paul M

There are those that would say the inclusion of that photograph has no part in a serious discussion such as this. They should not, therefore, click on this link: http://ambushstudio....oise-hardy.html

Jeff

Edited by jeffbee, 07 March 2012 - 12:41.

#1273 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,395 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 15:34

There are those that would say the inclusion of that photograph has no part in a serious discussion such as this. They should not, therefore, click on this link: http://ambushstudio....oise-hardy.html

Jeff

Without pretty women there is no racing...

#1274 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,157 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 20:31

If you want to introduce some seriosity into the discussion, how about saying just exactly what it is about that girl that is so perfectly aligned with mens' - uh - apprehensions of her existence?

Suppose you knew nothing about her behavior; are pictures enough to raise your - uh - interest?

Supposing you couldn't see the photos, could only hear descriptions of her and her behavior: what, if anything, would titillate your interest?

Eh?

(My answer: Tout l'ensemble!)

#1275 fvebr

fvebr

• 247 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 06:44

Posted Image
...Still charming...
Posted Image

#1276 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,825 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:01

Please explain the connection between that elderly lady and the lovely Francoise.

#1277 jeffbee

jeffbee

• 57 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:22

Please explain the connection between that elderly lady and the lovely Francoise.

One and the same. Unfortunately, even Francoise has to age, although with style.

#1278 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,395 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 21:09

You're kidding of course... :lol:

#1279 Macca

Macca

• 3,311 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 13:23

'Life' magazine article here

'Popular Mechanics' article here.

Posted Image

Paul M

Edited by Macca, 09 March 2012 - 13:27.

Advertisement

#1280 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,395 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 18:52

'Life' magazine article here

'Popular Mechanics' article here.

Posted Image

Paul M

I really want to say something...

#1281 Macca

Macca

• 3,311 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 14:15

Go ahead........

Anyway, also online is the 'Popular Science' article from 1966 here

Paul M

#1282 Glengavel

Glengavel

• 504 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 15:30

Posted Image

I really want to say something...

Barlini: No, dammit, I said I wanted Hardie-Ferodo brake parts!

#1283 bill p

bill p

• 358 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:22

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Edited by bill p, 22 March 2012 - 09:23.

#1284 bill p

bill p

• 358 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:25

Any ideas on what the Cobra in the background was used for in the filming - camera car, pace car, ????

NOTE I cannot make out the photographer's name for credit - if there are any problems photo shall be removed

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Edited by bill p, 22 March 2012 - 09:27.

#1285 Macca

Macca

• 3,311 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 13:32

The photographer is Bernard Cahier, who appeared frequently, not to say conspicuously, in the film.

The Cobra was used for the professional drivers such as Phil Hill to show Frankenheimer circuits at racing speed in order to plan his shots.

Paul M

Edited by Macca, 22 March 2012 - 13:33.

#1286 bill p

bill p

• 358 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 13:41

The photographer is Bernard Cahier, who appeared frequently, not to say conspicuously, in the film.

The Cobra was used for the professional drivers such as Phil Hill to show Frankenheimer circuits at racing speed in order to plan his shots.

Paul M

Thank you, Paul - slightly older and a lot wiser!!

Bill P

#1287 Macca

Macca

• 3,311 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:07

So you don't want the chassis no. of the Cobra, or of the Ford GT40 that was used as the main camera car?  ;)

Another unseen pic:
Posted Image

Paul M

#1288 R.W. Mackenzie

R.W. Mackenzie

• 247 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 22:36

So you don't want the chassis no. of the Cobra, or of the Ford GT40 that was used as the main camera car?  ;)

Another unseen pic:
Posted Image

Paul M

Caption:

"Jim, I'm thinking of changing the ending to where Jean-Pierre wins the championship and you bite the big one."

#1289 R.W. Mackenzie

R.W. Mackenzie

• 247 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 22:54

Posted Image

Barlini: No, dammit, I said I wanted Hardie-Ferodo brake parts!

Or alternatively:

"If she stays there I'm never going to get 5th gear by the Masta kink."

#1290 MCS

MCS

• 3,532 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 20:49

For sale on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/...r-/230626595439

#1291 Macca

Macca

• 3,311 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:55

Or alternatively:

"If she stays there I'm never going to get 5th gear by the Masta kink."

or "No, I didn't say 'good aero package', I said she's got good 'air and a nice package...."

That e-bay seller has several stills, including this one of Jim Russell.

Paul M

#1292 Breadmaster

Breadmaster

• 2,507 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 13:00

Grand Prix clothing anyone?
http://jalopnik.com/...tag=car-culture

#1293 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 1,583 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:23

Grand Prix clothing anyone?
http://jalopnik.com/...tag=car-culture

I'm afraid I don't have the hips to wear that. :cool:

#1294 Macca

Macca

• 3,311 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 14:43

Then perhaps this would be more appropriate? Ooh, suits you, sir!

Posted Image

Pete Aron in later life......

Paul M

#1295 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 1,583 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:00

:cool:

#1296 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,395 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:24

Then perhaps this would be more appropriate? Ooh, suits you, sir!

Posted Image

Pete Aron in later life......

Paul M

Awesome! :up:

#1297 rdrcr

rdrcr

• 2,697 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:23

Posted Image

If I'm not mistaken, this was Aron's return to US racing - doing duty off-road for Oldsmobile in the "Grabber" Olds!

#1298 Macca

Macca

• 3,311 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:34

Some pages back there was a photo of a 'stealth cyclist' (don't ask!) but it seems Pete Aron got to test the 'stealth Yamura' at Monza; it also appears to have had an early form of sidestick control.........

Posted Image

or it might just be James Garner horsing around.....
Paul M

#1299 Macca

Macca

• 3,311 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:06

Posted Image

Photo on sale currently, of Montand and Frankenheimer at Monaco (supposedly.......with those overalls and that helmet it might well be at Snetterton before trying one of Jim Russell's cars).

Paul M

Edited by Macca, 29 June 2012 - 10:08.

Advertisement

#1300 Macca

Macca

• 3,311 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 20:44

A few pages ago in post #1202 the circuit maps on the walls of Mimmo Dei's house were discussed and I said the one on the right above Reims was Solitude.

Posted Image

It caught my eye that while it says Solitude, the shape is wrong - it appears to be one of the varations of the old Brno, but I'm probably wrong.

Paul M