Photo

Racing and drug-related busts

• Please log in to reply
158 replies to this topic

#1 Pikachu Racing

Pikachu Racing

• 5,478 posts

Posted 14 August 2001 - 06:52

Only few cases of drivers and owners gets busted for drug-related crimes. The most well-known one is John Paul, Jr. which landed him in prison for two years and nearly killed his racing career just as it about to bloom. He did got redemption winning at IRL Texas (fall) 15 years after winning Michigan 500. I heard Whittington Brothers were involved in drug dealings which funded their team. Is it true and what's the story of it? Is there any other related stories about drivers and drug-related busts?

Advertisement

#2 Frank de Jong

Frank de Jong

• 1,830 posts

Posted 14 August 2001 - 07:08

Another one is Charles Zwolsman, Dutch group C driver of the early 90´s. I always wondered where they got all the money to buy first a Spice sportscar, thereafter a brand new Lola team. Now I know! Charles has been in prison for a while (IIRC), now the Dutch government wants something like 20 million $ from him - they already auctioned some of Charles´ Ferraris...

#3 Kpy

Kpy

• 1,259 posts

Posted 14 August 2001 - 07:23

And the KEC !!

#4 MPea3

MPea3

• 2,177 posts

Posted 14 August 2001 - 10:58

i believe the whittington brothers had one of those elaborate growing growing schemes with all of the artificial light & stuff. anyway, they were busted, and another road atlanta owner went down the tubes.

#5 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,776 posts

Posted 14 August 2001 - 11:06

IIRC Tony Dean, British Can-Am privateer in the early 70s, was involved in some sort of drug-running scheme. Or have I imagined that?

#6 BRG

BRG

• 25,898 posts

Posted 14 August 2001 - 11:40

There was a British saloon-car team principal that got busted for using the team cars/transporters to smuggle drugs. But I can't remember his name for certain...anyone?

#7 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,316 posts

Posted 14 August 2001 - 11:48

Vic Lee - now runs the Peugeot squad in the BTCC.

#8 Martyj

Martyj

• 191 posts

Posted 14 August 2001 - 12:56

I believe 1970's-era Indy car driver Salt Walther was another among those who was caught dabbling in the drug trade. Wasn't he sent to prison in the mid-90's?

#9 Kpy

Kpy

• 1,259 posts

Posted 14 August 2001 - 14:19

Originally posted by Vitesse2
Tony Dean,

Yes, KEC. Dean and co were cheeky enough to create a sports-racing car which generated its own budget.

Stands for King Edward Cigars. They smuggled them inside the cars between Florida or wherever and UK. Made a fortune, 'til they got caught.

Darren - you're right about Vic Lee, makes me worried about the cost of parts for my Peugeot.

And who was the guy who headed up an outfit called Euromarch from Italy in the mid '70s, running F3 and (?) F2 Marches, and was quite close to Max M? He turned out to be involved in moving narcotics big time, and like V. Lee got a job back in motor racing when he came out.

#10 Frank de Jong

Frank de Jong

• 1,830 posts

Posted 14 August 2001 - 15:03

Originally posted by Darren Galpin
Vic Lee - now runs the Peugeot squad in the BTCC.

IIRC this is one of the few cases in which the raceteam actually had an involvement with drug transports, other than the funding of any race activity. Again IIRC I think that Vic´s team was arrested before or after a test session in Zandvoort; I think the test session was used for a drug transport.

Testing in Zandvoort for a BTCC team was not that usual, but now the reason may be clear...

#11 Chris Bloom

Chris Bloom

• 778 posts

Posted 14 August 2001 - 19:07

Though not directly involved in motorsport,didn't John de Lorean get caught with some white powder in his brief case back in the eighties?

Chris

#12 Rainer Nyberg

Rainer Nyberg

• 1,768 posts

Posted 14 August 2001 - 19:23

IMSA racer and sometime CART racer Randy Lanier is also convicted to life in prison without parole.

As mentioned, John Paul jr was jailed for a few years during the 1980s for drug smuggling. His father, former IMSA racer, John Paul sr, also served time for the same crime.

#13 MPea3

MPea3

• 2,177 posts

Posted 14 August 2001 - 23:27

Originally posted by Vitesse2
IIRC Tony Dean, British Can-Am privateer in the early 70s, was involved in some sort of drug-running scheme. Or have I imagined that?

ok, i'm going off topic again, but one of the great things about this forum is the way it brings back such great memories.

back in the mid 60's at the atlanta car show, we ran across a stand where they were promoting a new race track to be built north of atlanta, along with an opportunity to find out about buying stock in this new venture. as a result, my parents agreed to take part of my hard earned money (mowing yards) and buy me two whole shares in road atlanta. (i still have the stock certificate by the way.)

anyway, road atlanta went bankrupt before too many years and my stock was worthless, but before then, being a stock holder, i got 2 free tickets to the 1st race open to the public (there had been an SCCA club race there before then). this was, of course, the 1st can-am race at road atlanta, with vic elford driving the super sucker chapparal (2j?). it was my 2nd car race ever, having only been to the the nascar race at atlanta the year before, and i was in AWE of the maclarens. they wqere SO fast down the hill from under the bridge and onto the start/finish line straight!

anyway, the maclarens and the chapparal all died, and tony dean, in his 908 spyder, came home to victory. it was one of those great sports moments where what was supposed to happen didn't, and my dad and i left having shared a day which i remember clearly to this day.

#14 Megatron

Megatron

• 3,688 posts

Posted 17 August 2001 - 10:19

Wasn't the owner of Leyton House busted for smuggling drugs in the F1 cars around the world?

#15 Rainer Nyberg

Rainer Nyberg

• 1,768 posts

Posted 17 August 2001 - 13:43

I don´t recall any drugs in his case...
If you mean Akira Akagi.

Leyton House was a financial company and bad investments, also with some crimimal activities brought that company down.

Compare with Van Rossem's Moneytron company, that went down during the same period.

#16 Megatron

Megatron

• 3,688 posts

Posted 17 August 2001 - 14:03

Yes, Moneytron were the title sponsor of the Oynx team in 1989. Wasn't Van Rossem yacking about how much F1 cost him and how he was threating to pull out unless he recieved either Honda or Porsche engines?

A shame, because the car actually wasn't that bad...

#17 Rainer Nyberg

Rainer Nyberg

• 1,768 posts

Posted 17 August 2001 - 14:22

No, the Onyx was actually a really good car.
But I think van Rossem's funds quickly dried out.
Not sure what he is up to today, but he sure was a strange appearance in the F1-paddocks....

#18 Megatron

Megatron

• 3,688 posts

Posted 17 August 2001 - 15:01

Yes, I know the Oynx was a good car. Stefan used a no stop strartegy to finish third in Portugal.

I think its awful that such an aspiring first year is always associated with the new management and the debacle that was the Monterverdi team.

#19 MrAerodynamicist

MrAerodynamicist

• 14,226 posts

Posted 17 August 2001 - 19:46

Lets not forget that just last year [pr the year before that, I'm not sure] The Sunday Times [uk] ran a story about F1 & drug smuggling

Jull 11th 1999
Formula One linked to cocaine smuggling

FORMULA ONE racing has been linked to cocaine smuggling amid allegations that grand prix cars may have been used to conceal drugs as they are transported around the world.
Customs officers revealed last week that they have been monitoring the movement of Formula One personnel and equipment through Dover. Officers say they were tipped off by an informant in the motor racing world 18 months ago.

The disclosure follows an earlier inquiry by Scotland Yard drug squad detectives. Codenamed Operation Equipment, their investigation was sparked by details given by two informants that individuals within F1 were using the sport as cover for international drug trafficking.

Two of the detectives involved told Insight that racing cars and their containers have allegedly been used to conceal cocaine. They say traffickers allegedly took advantage of the shipment of vehicles as cover to bring drugs into Britain and the Continent from South America. The drugs were believed to have been stashed in car parts and equipment and then placed in containers which were transported across the world.

"Formula One teams do a lot of practice in Spain, Portugal and France. Stuff might be coming through there and then into Britain," said a source.

At one point in their inquiries, Scotland Yard detectives considered putting an undercover policeman inside Formula One.

They planned to ask Nigel Mansell, the former British world champion and a special police constable, to help them get their man in. Mansell said last week he was unable to comment.

The wife of one well-known British driver revealed that she saw "white packages", believed to be cocaine, being put inside a container in Rio de Janeiro in Brazil.

She said that F1 transporters were rarely searched: "After all, these guys are heroes. All anyone wants is an autograph. The containers were used to ship all sorts of goods. I saw white packages loaded into a container. I guessed it was cocaine," she said.

Jackie Oliver, the former grand prix driver, said he was aware of an inquiry into alleged trafficking. He said F1 equipment had been seized on its way back from South America. "They pounced on all the equipment coming back from the Brazilian Grand Prix and held it up for days in customs while they went through everything with a fine tooth comb. We all complied and gave them full access and they got their sniffer dogs and went round everything - and never found anything."

A third source close to several F1 teams said he had heard that containers had been secretly used to transport drugs and money, adding that he had been interviewed by police about their investigation.

Customs officials in Dover confirmed last week they had recently received instructions from head office in London to monitor Formula One teams and their equipment as they entered this country.

"We have previously been successful in finding drugs in vehicles associated with motor sport, and Formula One teams using the port will be treated to the same level of scrutiny," said Nigel Knott, customs spokesman for southeast England.

"When you're talking about 15-metre trailers, the potential for hiding drugs is phenomenal. And there is more than one vehicle per team."

There are at least 11 competing Formula One teams, each with more than a 100 members. Along with scores of hangers-on, hundreds of people have access to grand prix cars and their containers.

Police sources say the high-profile nature of some teams makes it easier for them to travel unhindered across international borders. They suspect a number of rogue individuals have taken advantage of this.

One of the men named by their informants is a convicted cocaine smuggler with links to figures in F1. Last week the man, a London businessman, told The Sunday Times he was aware he had been under surveillance and that he had complained to Scotland Yard that he had been harassed and threatened by police.

Describing the allegations of a cocaine link to F1 as a "complete fairytale", he said he believed police had tried to entrap him in a "sting" operation involving hidden cameras.

It is not the first time that motor racing has been implicated in drugs trafficking. In 1990 Johnny Herbert, the Formula One driver, told the Old Bailey he had been unwittingly sponsored by a man who, it turned out, had masterminded a £18m cannabis smuggling ring.

Paul Newman, a London businessman, had his own box at Brands Hatch and used his drugs profits to set up two motor racing teams. He was sentenced to 10 years in prison. Herbert told the trial he did not realise there was any drugs connection.

The Scotland Yard inquiry into Formula One was inconclusive but its existence was confirmed by Derek Todd, the former head of its central drugs squad. Duncan MacLaughlin, a former drugs squad detective in charge of the investigation, also revealed that allegations from within the motor racing world had been made that F1 was being used as a front for cocaine trafficking.

It is believed that Bernie Ecclestone, the boss of Formula One, became aware of the inquiry 18 months ago after news of the operation started circulating within F1. MacLaughlin said Ecclestone had telephoned him in November 1997 to offer full co-operation.

During Operation Equipment, police travelled to Los Angeles in 1995 to liaise with drug enforcement officers about an investigation there into money-laundering and F1.

Scotland Yard has also made inquiries in Tokyo where evidence emerged of a possible link between some F1 individuals and drugs money laundering for the Japanese mafia, the Yakuza.

MacLaughlin left the Metropolitan police last year and now runs a security consultancy that numbers Damon Hill, the former British world champion, among its clients.

Ecclestone declined to discuss the affair last week. But an aide said: "He did not have any knowledge or evidence that individuals within F1 were doing anything of the sort [drug smuggling]. If he had information or evidence, he would have taken it to the police."

Scotland Yard said this weekend that drug operations were now the responsibility of the National Crime Squad. A spokesman for the squad said: "We do not discuss our ongoing inquiries."

A 32-year-old Royal Navy serviceman was being questioned by police yesterday on suspicion of manslaughter after an accident at Silverstone motor racing circuit that left one man dead.

The accident happened when an open-top MG sports car drove onto the grand prix circuit, then spun off and overturned. Three men managed to crawl free, but a fourth died at the scene. The driver was later arrested.

The man who died, aged 35, had not been named last night at his family's request. He was based at the Royal Naval Air Station at Yeovilton in Somerset and came from Salisbury.

A spokesman for the Ministry of Defence confirmed that the other three, including the man who has been arrested, were from 771 Squadron, based at RNAS Culdrose in Helston, Cornwall.

The accident happened just before 11pm on Friday night. The driver and the other two men, aged 36 and 40, were later taken to Northampton General Hospital and were discharged after treatment for minor injuries. The driver was then arrested and taken to Daventry police station for questioning.

The men had all been off duty and were there as spectators, the MoD said.

Advertisement

#20 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,244 posts

Posted 18 August 2001 - 05:54

Originally posted by Pikachu Racing
Only few cases of drivers and owners gets busted for drug-related crimes. The most well-known one is John Paul, Jr. which landed him in prison for two years and nearly killed his racing career just as it about to bloom. He did got redemption winning at IRL Texas (fall) 15 years after winning Michigan 500. I heard Whittington Brothers were involved in drug dealings which funded their team. Is it true and what's the story of it? Is there any other related stories about drivers and drug-related busts?

Yes, Don and Bill Whittington both did some prison time for their involvement in drug trafficking. Someone mentioned Randy Lanier. There have been some others...

Despite it's marketing, there have been some drug busts involving NASCAR drivers, most notably Gary Balough. There was a large scale bust in the early 1980's involving chassis builders Tom Pistone Jr. and Pee Wee Griffin.

Sprint Car star Kenny Weld did time in a federal prison for drug trafficking.

Salt Walther has been arrested a couple of times for possession. Never heard anything about any involvement in trafficking.

There have been others, but these are the ones that come to mind. It was discussed recently in another racing forum I'm a member of.

Jim Thurman

#21 twymanj

twymanj

• 85 posts

Posted 18 August 2001 - 08:31

Didn't Ian Burgess get involved with drugs somehow.:confused:

#22 Christopher Snow

Christopher Snow

• 46 posts

Posted 18 August 2001 - 08:57

Good Grief! I can't say I was so naive as to be completely surprised by these revelations (I knew about some of them) , but I am, nonetheless, a bit surprised and disappointed to hear of so very many cases....

In light of some of the "revelations" made about James Hunt this week, I suppose I shouldn't be as surprised as I am...

...but I honestly am. I had thought F1 pilots (of all people) might know better.

Seems not.

Christopher Snow:(

#23 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,244 posts

Posted 18 August 2001 - 10:37

Oh, I almost forgot...John Paul SR. was released from jail and is now being treated as a suspect in disappearance of a woman who was last seen leaving with him on his boat.

And, as mentioned in an earlier post to this thread, Randy Lanier received a life without parole sentence under the newly enacted RICO laws. He filed an appeal based on the fact that later RICO convictions were not nearly as lengthy, but lost the appeal.

Richard Mummert, a former short track Stock Car driver, who was then a car owner in NASCAR, was also busted for drug trafficking.

Jim Thurman

#24 MOTORSPORT RESORT

MOTORSPORT RESORT

• 177 posts

Posted 18 August 2001 - 16:24

Jim, you mention John Paul SR. I'm not sure where you've been ,he shot himself many years ago, over this! I don't think JP Jr. spent anytime in prison, but was draged through everything because of his father..and it DID end his racing day's as a pro..(correct me if I'm wrong?)

speedy@f1power.com:smoking:

#25 FLB

FLB

• 29,568 posts

Posted 27 August 2001 - 16:16

John Paul, Jr. made a sucessful comeback, winning an IRL race at Texas Motor Speedway in 1998. Although I don't recall him having raced this year, he raced in Trans Am and in GARRA up until last year.

Salt Walther's biggest problem was a heavy addiction to Dilaudid, a painkiller, consequence of his 1973 Indy 500 crash. He went to prison for fraud trying to sustain his addiction.

A most infamous drug addiction for a driver was Achille Varzi's to morphine, courtesy of Ilse Piëch, culminating in the great Italian's dismissal from Auto Union.

#26 Rainer Nyberg

Rainer Nyberg

• 1,768 posts

Posted 27 August 2001 - 16:56

John Paul jr was entered at Indy 500 this year for Zali Racing in #81. But he was pulled from the qualifying line and never made any attempt.

And Jim Thurman is right, Paul sr was questioned about the disappearance of a woman (his girlfriend I believe). I think I read it on Speedvision.

#27 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,704 posts

Posted 28 August 2001 - 10:31

There's also Mick Goldney ( Vector Formula Ford Team Owner ) who did time for drug smuggling.

#28 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,244 posts

Posted 29 August 2001 - 14:35

Originally posted by Rainer Nyberg
John Paul jr was entered at Indy 500 this year for Zali Racing in #81. But he was pulled from the qualifying line and never made any attempt.

And Jim Thurman is right, Paul sr was questioned about the disappearance of a woman (his girlfriend I believe). I think I read it on Speedvision.

Rainer, thank you for posting a follow through on that...I intended to, but have been rather busy.

I don't know if it's still available from the archives, but a good article on John Paul Sr.'s latest problems ran in the West Palm Beach newspaper on line (I'll check and post if still available).

Jim Thurman

#29 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,244 posts

Posted 29 August 2001 - 14:41

The article on John Paul Sr.'s latest adventure is still up at the following (hope the link works):

http://www.click10.c...611-180610.html

Jim Thurman

#30 dmj

dmj

• 2,250 posts

Posted 29 August 2001 - 15:28

In Croatia we just have our drugs and motorsport rlated court case. Our former rally champion and Paris-Dakkar contestant Drazen Curic is facing a long time in prison, as member of a group of heroin smugglers.
Also, Marko Milosevic, son of former Serbian president, who allegedly controlled most of Balkans drugs traffic, used to race in some rallies, even on world level (at Acropolis). His whereabouts are unknown ever since his father's demise.
And, without relation to motorsport, former Macedonian wrestling Olympic champion Saban Trstena is life sentenced in Germany. In his car police found some 10 kg of heroin.

dmj

#31 MOTORSPORT RESORT

MOTORSPORT RESORT

• 177 posts

Posted 29 August 2001 - 15:39

Jim, it seems I was wrong about JP SR. ¿¿¿
Who was it that I'm thinking that raced Porsche's.....and shot himself? hum...Ok now I think??, was it Peter Gregg?

I know they all raced together, and in Florida the major racing sponsor was "coke" not Coca Cola..They say, when it "snows" in Florida, it come's out of airplanes...
:stoned: :stoned: :stoned: :stoned:

#32 Wolf

Wolf

• 7,883 posts

Posted 29 August 2001 - 19:49

DMJ- zemooo! :D BTW- don't jump to conclusions re. ol' Butcher, he's no gonner yet (we may wish it, but...;)).

FLB- please enlighten 'the, oh so, unknowledgeable one' (me, that is ;)) re. Ilse Piëch. Was she connected to Porsche or the branch of Piëch family that got involved with them? BTW, I meant to inquire about Varzi myself: what was that story, I already know what You mentioned (save Ilse part) but nothing more? Thanx in advance. :)

#33 FLB

FLB

• 29,568 posts

Posted 29 August 2001 - 21:05

:blush: :blush: :blush:

Aaarrghh! Major brain fade, my wires got crossed, it's Ilse Pietsch and not Piëch...

She was Paul Pietsch's wife. Pietsch was an Auto Union driver in 1935. She had an affair with Varzi, a tourmented man. She had a big drug problem. She is credited for having "introduced" Varzi to morphine.

The story is covered in detail in numerous sources as it's very famous.

http://8w.forix.com/8w-102k.html

#34 gcast

gcast

• 18 posts

Posted 29 August 2001 - 21:20

We people who worked tire testing at The Glen were very close to most drivers who came to the track on non racing days. Remember when J. Paul Sr. showed up with a new car and hauler on a day when Ted Fields had rented the track for a couple of days.Weeks before he hardly had enough money to pay his entry fees. I can recall Ted asking me to collect afee from the other teams that were going to use the track and specically saying to me. "make sure that SOB comes up with the cash". J Paul paid it in new 100 dollar bills. He was later on involved in a murder and dragged his son into the trade. A sorry case.
It was also well known that the brothers W were directly in drug trafficking when they were runnng.
Many tmes it was said that the drug trade sponsored the whole series.

#35 FEV

FEV

• 909 posts

Posted 29 August 2001 - 22:57

Wasn't John Paul Senior sent to jail because he shot his wife ? John Paul Junior was entered for the 1986 Indy 500 on the n°31 March 86C-Buick of team ASC. But he didn't practice. The official reason on my sources : "went to prison". Does anyone know how long he stayed ? Has anyone got more info on Randy Lanier ? He was racing in CART for Arciero in 1986 and was one of my favorite drivers when I was a kid.

Another link between drugs and motorsports is drivers using drugs to race better. Fangio and the "magic pills" he gave to Moss for the Mille Miglia (55 ?) is well know. But more recently in France drivers like the late Anthony Ghéza were banned for a few races for having being controlled positive on cannabis.

I read on a site on doping in sports a list of people who died because of doping. To my great surprise I found :
"Pierre Levegh and 80 spectators, 1955 Le Mans 24 Hours car race, France, Anphetamines". We all know how the Le Mans crash happened and it is clear that Levegh had no responsability in it. He probably even saved Fangio's life. But was there some articles or rumors in some magazines or newspapers at the time about Levegh or Le Mans drivers in general using drugs ?

Another form of doping was alcool in those days. Ivor Bueb for instance loved brandy and some say his sad death in F2 at Charade was due to his abuse of it.

FEV

#36 Wolf

Wolf

• 7,883 posts

Posted 29 August 2001 - 23:08

FEV- I honestly don't think alcohol could, or should, be regarded as a form of doping. It has no bearing whatsoever (AFAIK) on physical capabilities, and deteriorates mental ones. BTW, I read that Moss used caffeine tablets during '55 MM; did Fangio recommend them and what's the story? Or are they suspected to be something else?

And then there was Neubauers 'Mille Miglia Potion of Wonder'...

#37 Rainer Nyberg

Rainer Nyberg

• 1,768 posts

Posted 30 August 2001 - 11:47

John Paul jr, served 28 months in prison for his role in his father's drug-trafficking operation.

I don´t recall what role Randy Lanier had in a similar operation, but due to the severity of his punishment, it would seem like he was one of the leaders.

#38 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 30 August 2001 - 13:00

Rainer, they all were from Atlanta, Georgia. I'm pretty sure they
all had been friends for a long time.

#39 FLB

FLB

• 29,568 posts

Posted 30 August 2001 - 13:18

There have also been rumours (and only that as far as I know) that Gordon Smiley was killed at Indy in 1982 under drug influence (presumed to be cocaine).

As far as alcohol consumption is concerned, Jacques Laffite once complained that his Ligier mechanics could never set up the car properly after lunch!;) :lol: :drunk:

And of course, there's Enzo Ferrari's classic comment to Chris Amon, after they'd had a bottle of Lambrusco each: "Good! You'll go faster this afternoon..." :lol:

Advertisement

#40 MOTORSPORT RESORT

MOTORSPORT RESORT

• 177 posts

Posted 30 August 2001 - 18:55

It's funny you mention the drinking and racing, I've seen lot's of photo's and movies (pre-war) that show the pit stops; wheels / tires/ GAS: for the car ,and driver...:drunk:
Peter

#41 tombe

tombe

• 118 posts

Posted 30 August 2001 - 20:22

IIRC there was a British former racing driver/car constructor who got arrested here in Norway sometimes back in the '80s for bringing some illegal stuff to these shores. As I understood it at the time, he was a courier, and in need of some fast bucks. He was sent back home soon after, as the authorities reckoned he was not a big enough fish.
I won't reveal his name at this time as there's 1% chance that I've dreamed it all up.
If someone can confirm this story, fine.
If not, I'll do some research over the weekend and come back to it later.

#42 josh.lintz

josh.lintz

• 149 posts

Posted 31 August 2001 - 00:31

Wow, now I know how they ballast the cars to make the minimum weight limits. Didn't the Calmels fellow shoot his wife or something back in 1989 (part of the Larrousse-Calmels team).

#43 dmj

dmj

• 2,250 posts

Posted 31 August 2001 - 15:02

Wasn't there a rumour in late Eighties about Nigel Mansell's use of doping?
About drunk drivers, there is a legend about Hamilton/Rolt win in Le Mans. They're supposed to drink whole night before the race...

dmj

#44 FLB

FLB

• 29,568 posts

Posted 31 August 2001 - 15:14

Well, official IMS history (Donald Davidson) has Jules Goux down for six bottles of champagne on his way to winning the 1913 Indy 500!;)

Didn't Luigi Chinetti drive so much of the 1949 Le Mans 24 Hours because Lord Seldson was too drunk to relieve him?

#45 Wolf

Wolf

• 7,883 posts

Posted 31 August 2001 - 20:06

And speaking of cognac- I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Giovanni Bracco's '52 Mille Miglia win yet... Apparently, he drank and chain-smoked all the way, and still left some formidable opponents behind him.

#46 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 10,989 posts

Posted 31 August 2001 - 21:52

Originally posted by Rainer Nyberg
No, the Onyx was actually a really good car.
But I think van Rossem's funds quickly dried out.
Not sure what he is up to today, but he sure was a strange appearance in the F1-paddocks....

Jean-Pierre Van Rossem spent a or 2 years in prison for corruption. He is quite a famous charachter in Belgium. Most people consider him as a lunatic though. He had at one moment up to 17 Ferraris in his private collection, his company Moneytron was build on clouds. He was also the one who cause Belgian driver Bertrand Gachots departure, after they apparently had a fight, JJ Lehto replaced him succesfully for his debut.
He became famous when he shouted "Vive la republique" when King Albert was crowned after the death of King Boudewijn. It caused quite a scandall, the whole country hated him such behaviour (Belgium is still a Kingdom). He also tried to create a political party, he wanted Belgian to become a Republic ! (The king and his familly are very popular here, not many chance that this would happen). But he hardly got votes and soon had to quit, but not before creating lots of scandals, he was quite entertaining though.

A couple of years ago , long after the Onyx experience, he was rumoured to be willing to sponsor talented French driver Christphe Bouchut and buy him an F1 seat, they had contacts with Prost and a couple other teams but the deal never went through.

Recently I saw Jean-Pierre on TV, he saw his parents for the first time in years (to make up for past problems), apparently they were quite ashamed of their sons behaviour. Finnancially Van Rossem was a genious with his Moneytron system, but to many he is just a madman.

#47 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 10,989 posts

Posted 31 August 2001 - 21:59

I also heard a story about JAN MAGNUSSEN showing up still drunk from the night before at a F1 test session. Jackie Stewart must've been furious !

#48 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 10,989 posts

Posted 31 August 2001 - 22:04

The most famous drug case was one involving one of the greatest drivers there ever was : ACHILLE VARZI (ITA) .
At the end of the '30s era, he started a relationship with ILSE PIETSCH , wife of his colleague driver at Auto Union PAUL PIETSCH (D). They even had a big fight about it duelling at the Nürburgring track. Ilse introduced Achille to drugs, the start of an addiction. After World War 2 he got clean and started racing again. Unfortunatelly he died before the W.C. in 1950 started, in Bern at the Bremgarten circuit. He was a trully genius driver , arch-rival of Tazio Nuvolari (at least on the track) , one of the best ever ...

#49 Wolf

Wolf

• 7,883 posts

Posted 31 August 2001 - 23:05

Speaking of the Devil (proverbial), just the other day when FLB brought this issue up, I saw a Paul Pietsch on TV. It was a car related show and they showed Auto Union C-Type for entire 15 seconds :rolleyes:, then the moderator had equally lenghty discussion with him consisting of two questions, namely: 1. how was it to drive that car, 2. can one draw parallels between your and Michael Schumachers careers... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I just sooo love good journalism...;)

#50 buddyt

buddyt

• 161 posts

Posted 04 September 2001 - 00:48

Was there that much difference between the IMSA racers and Coke dealing, and the early days of Nascar moonshine running?....Funny how time can change outlaws into heros.:D