Photo

Cosworth's F1 car

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 josh.lintz

josh.lintz

• 149 posts

Posted 31 August 2001 - 01:03

I read in Grand Prix! (Vol.2) and the Directory of Formula One Cars (by Anthony Pritchard), that Cosworth had plans for their own F1 car. Supposedly, one was built and displayed around 1968-69(?), but never raced.

My question is, did it ever have ANY competition history, and are there ANY pictures of the car?

Advertisement

#2 Wolf

Wolf

• 7,883 posts

Posted 31 August 2001 - 01:09

Josh- my copy of "Grand Prix!" has a photo in't... :confused: I could have it scanned if it is of any interest to You.

#3 Flicker

Flicker

• 194 posts

Posted 31 August 2001 - 12:39

Enjoy!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 31 August 2001 - 17:50

For a car that never raced, isn't it odd that it underwent so many changes of design?

Quite an achievement to alter the design that often and still produce one of the ugliest creatures ever to set wheel on a race track! :)

#5 Martyj

Martyj

• 191 posts

Posted 31 August 2001 - 19:04

Anyone have any idea on who is doing the test driving in the pictures posted above?

#6 desmo

desmo
  • Tech Forum Host

• 29,511 posts

Posted 31 August 2001 - 19:05

I can remember thinking how devilishly modern that car looked at the time. I was really disappointed that it never raced. Now it just looks really ugly. What would have become of Cosworth if the car had been successful?

#7 Wolf

Wolf

• 7,883 posts

Posted 31 August 2001 - 19:16

Desmo- considering it was 4WD, nothing much I guess.;)

#8 Felix Muelas

Felix Muelas

• 1,209 posts

Posted 31 August 2001 - 20:01

Martyj

I think the man driving the car on the last picture is Trevor Taylor, whilst the man at the wheel on the middle one might be Mike Costin.

It looks like there might be shots around showing also Brian Redman and Sir Jackie Stewart at the wheel. Whilst I had never heard about this last one before, David Hodges mentions the fact, so good enough place to quote it.

Felix

#9 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,506 posts

Posted 31 August 2001 - 20:23

Felix is right about mike Costin. I too had not heard of Stewart driving that car. It seems unlikely as he was also involved with the Matra MS84, but it's possible the Ford connection brought it about.

#10 Martyj

Martyj

• 191 posts

Posted 31 August 2001 - 20:31

To answer my own question, I think one of those drivers might be Derek Bell. I faintly recall his name being connected with this project.

#11 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 11,063 posts

Posted 31 August 2001 - 21:07

Mike Costin is the man in the middle picture , Brian Redman below.

#12 Rainer Nyberg

Rainer Nyberg

• 1,768 posts

Posted 31 August 2001 - 21:31

Derek Bell was involved in McLaren's 4WD project.

#13 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,857 posts

Posted 31 August 2001 - 22:19

Originally posted by William Hunt
Mike Costin is the man in the middle picture , Brian Redman below.

Not sure about the middle picture, but the lower one is Trevor Taylor, not Brian Redman. according to Hodges A-Z of Formula Racing Cars.:)

#14 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,506 posts

Posted 31 August 2001 - 23:25

The Cosworth was tested extensively at Silverstone in the week before the 1969 British Grand Prix. Brian Redman was the nominated driver but the car was damaged in a road accident on its way to the circuit. By the time it was repaired, Redman had left for the USA, the Watkins Glen 6 hours, which he won with Jo Siffert. I don't believe Redman ever drove the Cosworth.

Mike Costin then did the initial tests before Trevor Taylor was brough in. During testing on the Tuesday before the Grand Prix the car sufferred from the heat generated by the front differential. this caused oil in the front mounted oil tank to overheat. The car was taken away for modifications, including the re-siting of the tank. Taylor's best lap was said to be around 1min 27sec, which would have put him with the other 4WD cars, the McLaren M9A, the Matra MS84 and two Lotus 63s at the back of the grid.

One minor mytery: Autosport said that Taylor's time was set despite using a two year old 7-series engine. Yet I have also read that a special magnesium DFV was built for the car, several years before Cosworth built them for their customers.

#15 josh.lintz

josh.lintz

• 149 posts

Posted 07 September 2001 - 00:00

Thanks for the info and pictures!

I guess my memory is fading a bit...I must look at my copy of Grand Prix! again.

#16 axlex

axlex

• 40 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 18:34

Hi evrybody...

Does anyone knows what are the tyres used on the Cosworth F1 car suring his tests ?

Thanks in advance for this information. :up:

#17 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 20:08

Only pic showing a tyre marque I have on file is this one..............Dunlop

Posted Image

#18 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 20:52

One thing out of this project was that Robin Herd stole the design of the rim pattern to use on the Marches.

#19 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 22:02

Originally posted by macoran
Only pic showing a tyre marque I have on file is this one..............Dunlop

Posted Image

All the cutaway drawings I have are of the above car rather than the "aero"model.
Anybody seen an "aero" Cosworth 4wd cutaway ?

and BTW did the car have a Cosworth model nr ? or was it just Cosworth 4wd ?

Advertisement

#20 axlex

axlex

• 40 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 22:30

All the cutaway drawings I have are of the above car rather than the "aero"model.

Thanks for the confirmation about Dunlop ! :up:

Most of the time, I found the Cosworth car named "Cosworth 1"... But, sometimes I found "Cosworth 4WD" or "Cosworth 4WD1"... So, like the majority was "Cosworth 1", I still use this name...

:confused:

#21 Bonde

Bonde

• 1,072 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 23:01

Dave,

Robin Herd did most of the design work on the Cosworth, so he just sort of "carried" part of his "own" his design work with him to March...

I think the inspiration for those Cosworth-then-on-to-March wheels actually came from those of Len Terry's beautyful Gurney Eagle...

#22 Bonde

Bonde

• 1,072 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 23:03

Marc,

I'm curious: What cutaways other than that of Brian Hatton exist of the Cosworth 4WD?

#23 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 23:11

Originally posted by Bonde
Marc,

I'm curious: What cutaways other than that of Brian Hatton exist of the Cosworth 4WD?

The B.Hatton one was published in Motor.
I also have a John Hostler on file which I think is from Autocar, as well as a
cutaway showing only the 4wd driveline, could be a Hatton as it is in the
same projection angle.

#24 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,506 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 23:42

What do you mean by the "aero" model? They tried a couple of different wings during testing but wasn't it all with the same car.

I would be very surprised if there was a model number. There was no need to distinguish it from any other Cosworth cars.

#25 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 23:49

Originally posted by Flicker
Enjoy!

Posted Image

I refer to this one as the "aero" model, i.e. the Donington Exhibition version

#26 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 00:00

The John Hostler cutaway

Posted Image

and the unsigned driveline one

Posted Image

#27 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 00:21

Originally posted by Felix Muelas
Martyj

I think the man driving the car on the last picture is Trevor Taylor, whilst the man at the wheel on the middle one might be Mike Costin.

It looks like there might be shots around showing also Brian Redman and Sir Jackie Stewart at the wheel. Whilst I had never heard about this last one before, David Hodges mentions the fact, so good enough place to quote it.

Felix

If you "click" on the pictures as if trying to save them
you will see that the middle pic is titled Costin test
and the lower one Redman test

#28 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 20:49

The rim stealing comment came from Keith Duckworth...

#29 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 20:59

Originally posted by David M. Kane
One thing out of this project was that Robin Herd stole the design of the rim pattern to use on the Marches.

Since Robin was one of the designers of the Cosworth, and Cosworth were never in the car or wheel business, I think "stole" is putting it a bit strongly; it's only natural that his wheels for March the next year would've looked similar. DKD did a froth-job when someone looked at the Cosworth and observed that it had March wheels ;)

#30 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 21:24

Fair enough...I was just trying attribute who said what to who...I still think they are one of the prettiest designs of all time.

#31 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 21:38

Originally posted by David M. Kane
Fair enough...I was just trying attribute who said what to who...I still think they are one of the prettiest designs of all time.

They are a classic of "form follows function" certainly - didn't March use the same basic design for most of the 70s?

#32 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,506 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 21:45

Does anyone know when the wider wheel fairings were fitted? I can't recall seeing a contemporary photograph with them fitted.

If you ignore those fairings, the nose of the Cosworth looks remarkably similar to the March 712.

#33 cosworth bdg

cosworth bdg

• 1,350 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 04:19

Originally posted by Barry Boor
For a car that never raced, isn't it odd that it underwent so many changes of design?

Quite an achievement to alter the design that often and still produce one of the ugliest creatures ever to set wheel on a race track! :)

Lucky Cosworth stuck to designing and building Engines, chassis and aerodynamics were definitely not their area of expertise!.