Info wanted on a few small makes

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 FEV

FEV

• 909 posts

Posted 05 September 2001 - 22:06

Hi all,

Can anybody tell me more about some of this small single-seater and sportscar makes:

Shrike: had some success in Thundersports. Any link with the Indy
constructor ?

Hayashi: japanese make, good F3 in the 80s.

Simpson: famous Simpson Engineering made a Cosworth powered
Simpson 001 for Thundersports in 1986. Was it a true car
or a rebuilt Lola or something ?

Oscar: regular japanese F3 and sportscar make of the 80s.

West, Manatee, Collage: other japanese makes who build cars that
ran in JSPC's small class, usually with
Mazda engines.

Persy: Roland Binder's BMW powered Interserie winning car.

Thanks in advance,

FEV

Advertisement

#2 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,255 posts

Posted 05 September 2001 - 23:02

From Hodges A-Z of Formula Racing Cars:

HAYASHI
While Dome is better known for its endurance cars, its associate company Hayashi had a much longer record in racing. It built single-seaters for a Japanese 500cc category in the 1970s and its first F3 car in 1980, continuing in this category through the first half of the decade, but slipping from the scene in the second half when F3 racing in Japan settled into a Ralt versus Reynard pattern.

The 803 followed March lines closely, with a sheet alloy monocoque, tubular sub frames fore and aft and inboard suspension all round. It was apparently insufficiently rigid, for designer Masao Ono concentrated on this in the 320 of 1981, another Toyota-engined car. It had very prominent side pods on 803 lines, but in the 320 these housed all the radiators and the car had a needle nose in place of the ponderous full-width nose of the 803.

The 1982 321 followed the same neat layout, and one appeared fleetingly in Europe, driven into tenth place in a Silverstone race by Osamu Nakako. It was a ground effects car, and the design was adapted for the flat-bottom regulations that took effect in Japan in 1984, as the 322. This was the last successful Hayashi F3 car.

The following year saw a completely new F3 Hayashi, the 330. Like the Ralt RT30 this was asymmetrical, with a full side pod on the left and a vestigial pod on the right. A sheet alloy tub was used again, with a carbon fibre top. It was not competitive, but was the basis for the 1986 331, which was apparently even less competitive in the Ralt-dominated Japanese series. Nothing had come of Hayashi ambitions to export chassis, for F3 or Formula Atlantic use.

OSCAR
Oscar was a minor Japanese constructor in the 1980s, moving to the fringes of success with the conventional Toyota-engined SK86F F3 car in 1986, when Hideo Fukuyama won an All-Japan Championship race at Tsukuba.

#3 FEV

FEV

• 909 posts

Posted 07 September 2001 - 14:34

Thanks for the info V2 !!

#4 Jeremy Jackson

Jeremy Jackson

• 479 posts

Posted 07 September 2001 - 15:04

Hi FEV,

The Simpson was a C2 spec chassis which used components from Robin Smith's Chevron B31/36 Group 6 car, which had also been used in Thundersports. Not sure if it used the actual Chevron chassis. The car was destroyed in a fire during practice for the Birmingham Super Prix support race in 1986.

The Shrike P15 was essentially a development of the Aquila RO83S, produced by Richard Owen in the UK for Sports 2000 racing. The P15s were produced between 1984 and 1986. There was also a P16, but I don't know if there was any more than that.

#5 FEV

FEV

• 909 posts

Posted 07 September 2001 - 17:05

Hi Jeremy,

It's been quite a long time ! Had a good summer ?

Thanks for the info on the Simpson and the Shrike. About the 1986 Birmingham Thundersports race, Martin Krejci's records only give qualifying times for this race. Was it cancelled ? The same year the F3000 race lasted only 25 laps, so was there a problem with the track ?

cheers,
FEV

#6 Jeremy Jackson

Jeremy Jackson

• 479 posts

Posted 07 September 2001 - 17:53

Hi again FEV,

The race day at Birminbgham was subject to torrential rain (I was there, and I've never been so wet !). The F3000 race run to a reduced distance afte various delays due to the weather, and was eventually abandoned. The Thundersports race was cancelled for the same reasons.

#7 FEV

FEV

• 909 posts

Posted 07 September 2001 - 21:20

Thanks Jeremy !

The race day at Birminbgham was subject to torrential rain (I was there, and I've never been so wet !).

More than at LM this year :lol: :lol: ?

#8 Rainer Nyberg

Rainer Nyberg

• 1,756 posts

Posted 07 September 2001 - 21:22

The Persy driven by Roland Binder in the 1980s was a converted Formula Two car from the early 1980s. It was a typical Interserie car, with a standard single-seater with covered wheels, a la CanAm. Such practice was common with F5000 cars in CanAm too. So such conversions were often named "CanAm".

Maybe Stefan or Martin know the origin?

Posted Image

#9 Jeremy Jackson

Jeremy Jackson

• 479 posts

Posted 07 September 2001 - 21:28

The Persy was based on an F2 Maurer, an MM83, I think.

#10 FEV

FEV

• 909 posts

Posted 08 September 2001 - 08:16

Anybody knows the origin of the Persy name ? Was it a sponsor or a small race car constructor ?
Thanks,
FEV