Photo

Zolder - why was it ridiculous?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Winegod

Winegod

• 402 posts

Posted 07 September 2001 - 20:26

A while back on Speedvision did one of those lap of the gods things, Sam Posey said described Spa as being "sublime" and Zolder as being "ridiculous." What was Zolder like? A high-speed track? Did it have dangerous parts? No run-off?

Advertisement

#2 Duck

Duck

• 407 posts

Posted 08 September 2001 - 02:59

Zolder was horribly lacking in safety measures even by 70's standards. However, the major problem with the circuit was the tendency for the track surface to break up in chunks. All of the drivers to a man detested the facility.

#3 No27

No27

• 1,254 posts

Posted 08 September 2001 - 12:09

One of Zolder's vices is the very narrow pitlane. In 1981 Carlos Reutemann drove over an Osella mechanic. I can't remember whether the mechanic was only injured or that it was a fatal accident, but I believe it was fatal. Anyway, Zolder 1981 was a drama that was only overshadowd by the fatal accident of Gilles V. the following year. No great memories for this circuit.

#4 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 11,063 posts

Posted 08 September 2001 - 12:45

I know Zolder very well as I am a Belgian. My dad was a racing driver and drove a lot @ Zolder. I myself have already driven there as well. I love that track, it has a lot of variation, is quite technical and has a good atmosphere. In fact I think it's one of the nicest tracks around. But if U have to compare it with Spa... nothing compares to Spa off course. They are currently trying to upgrade it to F1 standards. Ever since the last time F1 came there they are dreaming of another F1 race, just like Zandvoort (another beautiful circuit that was raped by safety changes). But I don't think it's very likely that they will obtain it , Ecclestone will never drop Spa.

#5 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,582 posts

Posted 08 September 2001 - 14:03

I actually saw F1 cars racing at Zolder last year. In EuroBOSS series.

#6 Kpy

Kpy

• 1,259 posts

Posted 08 September 2001 - 14:29

I only went once, unfortunately for the GP in 1982 ......
For me Zolder is a piddling little track in an unpleasant part of Belgium.. Spa is, (and maybe only in my opinion) , in its original form, the ultimate road track - even in its truncated layout it's one of the very best in today's calendar. And in the most pleasant surroundings.
Oh, and Spa's not one of Ecclestone's favourite circuits - not enough slow corners for the TV cameras to pick up the adverts on the wings.
Having denigrated Zolder, Nivelles was a worse circuit.

#7 stavelot

stavelot

• 80 posts

Posted 08 September 2001 - 15:41

Originally posted by Duck
Zolder was horribly lacking in safety measures even by 70's standards. However, the major problem with the circuit was the tendency for the track surface to break up in chunks. All of the drivers to a man detested the facility.

Duck,

the break up of the track surface was the problem of the '73 Grand Prix.

It didn't happen in Zolder later but in Spa 1985.

Zolder is flat track with 3 chicanes and a lot of curbs - no challenge for the best drivers.

Remember: Gilles Villeneuve left us in Zolder 1982. Really not popular track .

I preferr Spa-Francorchamps.:up:

#8 Kpy

Kpy

• 1,259 posts

Posted 08 September 2001 - 16:16

Stavelot -
How right you are. I was at Spa for the "track-lifting GP", but Zolder is still a "nothing track".
"Wild Horses" ............