Vector road car

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 wingsbgone

wingsbgone

• 127 posts

Posted 10 September 2001 - 20:38

Folks-

Anyone know whatever happens to the much hyped, but rarely functional, Vector "sports" car? I recall first reading about it in R&T or C&D many years ago. Very advanced for the time (as described). Then I recall the designer (Wiegart?) failing to the thing a reality, and some other outfit taking over the project. Was this vehicle ever "real" and if so, any idea how many copies were ever produced.
Seems to have been a bit of a scam for any "investors."

Thanks.

Advertisement

#2 MCH

MCH

• 351 posts

Posted 10 September 2001 - 20:51

Here's some basic info on the cars themselves:

http://wwwstud.fh-zw...o/vwx3/vwx3.htm

http://wwwstud.fh-zw...~ao/vw8/vw8.htm

#3 wingsbgone

wingsbgone

• 127 posts

Posted 10 September 2001 - 20:57

MCH-

Great pages. Any idea how these numbers were obtained. Especially the performance numbers. I've seen similar ones, but witht he caveat that they were "manufacturer estimates" or other phrases. Do you know if one was ever tested "for real"? the 400kph claim seems beyond belief.

Thanks.

#4 Wolf

Wolf

• 7,883 posts

Posted 10 September 2001 - 20:59

There was nothing fictional about loads of Lamborghini parts in't (engine, suspension ...). :lol: And it's custom made...

#5 rdrcr

rdrcr

• 2,727 posts

Posted 10 September 2001 - 21:11

Jerry Weigert was an Art Center design graduate, who became overly well known in the automotive press as the conceptualizer and promoter of the Vector, one of the most audaceous ventures in the automotive privateer manufactures. Over a period of about 15 years, he managed to obtain a lot of Southern California aerospace talent and components, to assemble fantastic prototypes which generated a few orders. In appearance, performance, price, and target market, it was the only American challenge to exotics like Lamborghini. With it's cost-no-object aerospace constuction and 625-horsepower twin turbo Oldsmobile, it was still docile enough to drive, although reportedly somewhat undependable. When it ran acceleration tests in 1990, it's 4.2 sec 0-60 made it the quickest "production" car in America. Eventually he raised enough money from stock issues and an Indonesian investment company to go into production. However, by then, inflation and development had made the car twice as expensive to produce than the original selling price, and the exotic car market had become saturated. Only about 20 cars were actually built. Weigert's dream ended in 1992, when the Indonesian investors exercised their control interest, and had him ungracefully removed from the premises. Vector was combined with their interest in Lamborghini, and an attempt was made to continue a cheaper M12 Lamborghini-engine model at just half the pretentiousness and price, but that too was doomed.

As I understand it, he is currently under SEC investigation for all sorts of SEC violations and fraud.

#6 MOTORSPORT RESORT

MOTORSPORT RESORT

• 177 posts

Posted 11 September 2001 - 13:48

I think you'll find that the good old USA Government has him at school again... "CLUB FED" :cry:

too bad for him, he really was different, I had enjoyed his colour and wild get-up...(now kakie)

#7 bergwerk

bergwerk

• 869 posts

Posted 13 September 2001 - 00:47

Originally posted by MOTORSPORT RESORT
I think you'll find that the good old USA Government has him at school again...

Is this before or after his effort to start a novel jet ski company in Wilmington CA?

Jerry marched to quite a different tune and that's all that's fit to print.

The car that he so much believed in was an ergonomic monstrosity and it never run long enough to complete a serious test (as evidenced by Auto Motor und Sport) let alone be put in the hands of a customer.

Many cars had launch problems but the Vector eclipses all others in this department.

The only thing that separates Jerry from lets say John Delorean was his general lack of credibility which resulted in his inability to obtain serious funding. The car itself was a dramatic looker, something that can't be said for the John Z car.

#8 dmj

dmj

• 2,251 posts

Posted 13 September 2001 - 11:05

The car that he so much believed in was an ergonomic monstrosity and it never run long enough to complete a serious test (as evidenced by Auto Motor und Sport) let alone be put in the hands of a customer.

Well, they neverthelles put it in hands of some 20 customers (Andre Agassi included), even if cars probably used to break every few miles. But none buys such a car for driving, just for posing.
It even had a bench seat! I don't want to imagine what used to happen with driver's body in fast corners...