Photo

OT - this terrible day

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
65 replies to this topic

#1 Stefan Ornerdal

Stefan Ornerdal

• 578 posts

Posted 11 September 2001 - 20:00

Motor racing and it's history is an important thing in my life.

Sometimes, however, events elsewhere in the world make me realise
how relatively unimportant it all is, in the wider aspects of life. Our TNF members in North America in particular will certainly be in a stunned
state of shock following the terrible events in the USA today. I, and I
am sure, all list members, will share your shock, horror, and revulsion
at these atrocious events.

Our thoughts are with you at this time.

Stefan

Advertisement

#2 Kpy

Kpy

• 1,189 posts

Posted 11 September 2001 - 20:15

Total agreement - all our little preoccupations are as nothing.

My heart goes out to all of you who are in any way harmed (can't find the right word here) by today's events.

Sincerely.

#3 Boniver

Boniver

• 554 posts

Posted 11 September 2001 - 21:03

Americans friends,

we find no words ...........

Rudiger / Boniver

#4 Flicker

Flicker

• 194 posts

Posted 11 September 2001 - 21:41

Completely shocked with this terrible events. It's unbelievable...

It was the most shocking thing till our Moscow terrorist explosions two years ago...

My deep condolences to all American people.
Sharing their pain and sorrow...

#5 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,517 posts

Posted 11 September 2001 - 22:50

I've spent a lot of time in the PC today - unbelievable!!

It seems that all Atlas members who could have been in or around the WTC are safe, although Jackman had a close one ...

I shan't be 100% happy till I've seen Don post though ...

American friends, our thoughts and prayers are with you.:cry: :cry:

#6 bobbo

bobbo

• 841 posts

Posted 12 September 2001 - 00:23

Disbelief . . . Denial . . . Anger . . . Fear . . . Confusion . . . Sorrow . . . Renewed faith . . .

We SHALL survive.

Bobbo

#7 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 2,100 posts

Posted 12 September 2001 - 02:22

God Bless America.

Vanwall.

#8 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 12 September 2001 - 03:27

Just a quick note to say that I am definitely in my Colonel Capps mode. The hit at the Pentagon was literally just meters away from my old office in HQDA DCSOPS. Needless to say, I have a large number of soldiers that I know who are either dead or seriously injured in this attack.

I am taking this a bit personally.

I really don't have any idea when I will be back on the net. I am involved some of the operations and really can't say more than that.

See you later.

#9 Pole Position

Pole Position

• 96 posts

Posted 12 September 2001 - 03:40

My deepest condolences to all American people.

I have couple of friends over in NYC who worked in the WTC but am still trying to get in contact with them. The lines here in Australia are not coping to well with all the calls being made.

Thoughts are with you guys. :cry:

#10 Leif Snellman

Leif Snellman

• 1,078 posts

Posted 12 September 2001 - 05:30

What a great relief to hear from you Don!

#11 Flying Panda

Flying Panda

• 5,053 posts

Posted 12 September 2001 - 06:52

:( :cry: My deepest sympathies and condolences to all americans, and every one else effected in the world. :cry: :(

A teacher at my school had a heart attack, weather it was related to the news, i do not know.
Ge well soon...

#12 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,140 posts

Posted 12 September 2001 - 07:14

Glad to see you are safe Don.

Work stopped in our office yesterday amongst stunned disbelief, and I extend my deepest condolences to the American people. People were sufficiently shocked here yesterday to completely forget that up to 20 people face redundancy. Unfortunately in England we know what terrorism is like, but never could we ever believe that something to this extreme could ever occur. I remember reading a Tom Clancy novel a couple of years ago where a Boeing 747 was flown into Capitol Hill, and at the time mentioned to a friend that that was the one unbelievable bit of the book, and that it took the edge off the novel. Well, yesterday the unbelievable happened.

#13 FEV

FEV

• 909 posts

Posted 12 September 2001 - 08:59

Words are hard to find. Our thoughts go to all americans on this sad day. Good to hear from you Don. I have the deepest respect and admiration for the way the new-yorkers and the entire nation reacted to this drama.

#14 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 2,203 posts

Posted 12 September 2001 - 09:29

My thoughts are with everyone affected by this atrocity.

#15 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,517 posts

Posted 12 September 2001 - 10:13

Originally posted by Leif Snellman
What a great relief to hear from you Don!

Good to see you Colonel - take all the time you like. History can wait ....

#16 pinchevs

pinchevs

• 437 posts

Posted 12 September 2001 - 10:37

Although it was thousands of miles away, it hit close home... :cry:

#17 FLB

FLB

• 1,931 posts

Posted 12 September 2001 - 14:03

Many condoleances, Colonel Capps... :(

We often think here of people who gave their lives for our enjoyment.

Yesterday, there are thousands who gave theirs trying to save others.

All were someone's son, daugher, father, sister, mother, lover, brother, friend, cousin, confidant, co-worker, pupil... :cry:

#18 YOSSARION

YOSSARION

• 24 posts

Posted 12 September 2001 - 14:07

What can one say. Thank God everyone at Atlas is OK, my condolences to you Don, and to all those who have suffered a loss due to this terrible event. I feel numb.

#19 Joe Fan

Joe Fan

• 5,591 posts

Posted 12 September 2001 - 14:48

Originally posted by Don Capps
Just a quick note to say that I am definitely in my Colonel Capps mode.

Like everyone here, I am glad hear that you are OK Don but saddened that you have lost what appears to be many friends. You certainly have my blessing to turn it up to the General Capps mode if necessary. Hopefully, you won't have to.

Advertisement

#20 Yelnats

Yelnats

• 2,026 posts

Posted 12 September 2001 - 15:07

Such a terrible day! My sympathy goes out to all Americans and particularly those who have lost dear ones in this outrage.

#21 deangelis86

deangelis86

• 365 posts

Posted 12 September 2001 - 15:32

:cry: :mad:

#22 RV_Canada

RV_Canada

• 3,486 posts

Posted 12 September 2001 - 15:41

At a loss for words. A tragedy beyond all comprehension.

#23 cjpani

cjpani

• 2,456 posts

Posted 12 September 2001 - 16:27

My prayers are with everyone affected.

#24 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,895 posts

Posted 12 September 2001 - 18:25

I am filled with numbness and disbelief.

Deepest sympathies to every American citizen from a land familiar with terrorist atrocities.

The world will never be quite the same again.

Despite the anger felt in the U.S, I hope that common sense prevails.

#25 Chris Bloom

Chris Bloom

• 650 posts

Posted 12 September 2001 - 19:53

An attack on Manhatten, the global melting pot, is an attack on people of all nationalities, colour and religous beliefs.

All I can say is my thoughts are with those who never made it home Tuesday evening and those whose loved ones never made it home.

Chris

:cry:

#26 mhferrari

mhferrari

• 3,238 posts

Posted 12 September 2001 - 20:31

Yesterday really puts life into perspective.
My condolences to all who have been affected.

GOD Bless America!!!

#27 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,517 posts

Posted 12 September 2001 - 21:22

I posted this in PC, but I'd like to share it here as well: I hope no-one minds -

Driving to work this morning I heard only one song on the radio. It was "Imagine" by John Lennon. It's one of my favourite Lennon songs, but it's never made me cry before.:cry: :cry:

"Happy" was not the best word to use in my previous post - again, I hope no-one took offence ...

Finally, I'd like to echo every word of Barry's post.

#28 Wolf

Wolf

• 7,881 posts

Posted 12 September 2001 - 22:56

For those not privy to proceedings in Paddock Club, this avatar I'm using is to express our symphaties to those who lost their lives or people they knew in those attrocious attacks (some of them are our dear friends :cry: ). Please, feel free to use it yourselves (right click on my avatar, copy address, and paste 'ctrl+v' that address in avatar address field in your profile. Thanks in advance.

#29 bobbo

bobbo

• 841 posts

Posted 13 September 2001 - 00:03

" . . .in all our prayers for the dead, injured, the families and all those victimized, let us not forget to pray for those perpetrators of this evil, that they might find true repentance for their deeds."

--From a prayer service this evening at my church

Col. Capps, be safe, and remember that you and all others are in our prayers.

"Let there be Peace on Earth and let it begin with me."

Bobbo

#30 bergwerk

bergwerk

• 694 posts

Posted 13 September 2001 - 00:58

This event brought back the sad feeling of emptiness that those of us with previous conflict experience had managed to suppress for many years.

It made us realize that the healing that time brings is only superficial and that the original horror will stay with us for as long as we live.

Don Capps, my heart is with you.

#31 buddyt

buddyt

• 161 posts

Posted 13 September 2001 - 01:05

Do not have anything to say .......be safe Colonel as you go about your work.........:(

#32 Chris Skepis

Chris Skepis

• 179 posts

Posted 13 September 2001 - 01:48

What a horrible day
This September 11th 2001 was even saddest than April 7th 1968.
I wish I could do something to help.
I am sure Americans are brave and they will find a way to bring up justice.

God bless you all, folks.
I am with you all the way

#33 Graham Clayton

Graham Clayton

• 1,106 posts

Posted 13 September 2001 - 02:51

A sad day not only for American citizens, but for the world
as a whole.:cry:

#34 Kuwashima

Kuwashima

• 330 posts

Posted 13 September 2001 - 04:21

What a terrible, terrible tragedy in the USA. These horrific acts of terrorism should not, and will not, go unpunished.

There will be a lot of pressure on George W Bush to respond milititarily. But certainly any response should be wary not to punish innocent people in responsible countries - two wrongs do not make a right.

My heartfelt condolences to families and friends of the many many victims, and my best wishes, thoughts and prayers to anyone effected, and/or affected by these events.

:cry:

#35 Hans Etzrodt

Hans Etzrodt

• 3,173 posts

Posted 13 September 2001 - 10:04

I understand the outpour of sympathy from our friends towards the USA, at a time of this horrendous tragedy. This is a very low moment in all of our lives and I also feel very saddened and extremely angry. We will all be affected by the aftermath of this sadistic act of terror. The upcoming war will split our planet in two political factions. It will be a very sad time but I understand that order has to be brought about. We cannot carry on like this because the next step by those terrorists might just be the worst imaginable.

Barbara Olson, a CNN commentator, was aboard AA flight 77 that left Dulles International Airport in Washington and was flown by a terrorist into the Pentagon. From her cellular phone she called her husband, while the hijacking was occurring. She “told her husband the attackers had used knifelike instruments to take over the plane and forced passengers to the rear of the jet.” Her husband is the boss of a young woman whose mother works with our daughter at a Honolulu insurance office. This office is now closed for the last two days, unable to carry out their business for yet unknown reasons. Honolulu Airport is also not yet open as of right now.

#36 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 13 September 2001 - 20:36

HYPOCRISY, HYPOCRISY!

This is not terrorism, this is war, and it has finally hit home!

We all are responsible for this, and I intentionally say "we" because my own country played a large and sad role in the establishment of the state Israel in Palestine. We have put the monster there, and we've fed it through the years, and now that it has bitten us it is insincere to scream "Murder!".

There is no black and white in this world, and there's certainly no evil that does things like this. It is the net result of a century of utterly failed policy in the Middle East by Western governments! Only a history of decades of oppression and expulsion can go some way to explain such awful deeds.

The major mistakes have been made many years ago, but they are continuously perpetuated. We must stop to ignore the legitimate interests of the Arab people, and we must stop trying to solve our problems by transferring them to the outskirts of our world!

I feel guilty myself, because the government that acts upon my behalf has contributed to the oppression of the Palestine people. It has done so with the best intentions to help the Israeli, but that is no consolation for those who have suffered!

No one here has shown an interest in this war as long as it was going on in the Middle East. As a consequence, it has now arrived here. And it's just the beginning!

It is high time to change allegiances!

#37 Wolf

Wolf

• 7,881 posts

Posted 13 September 2001 - 22:11

Fines- I think You're waay off the mark. Even if everything else You said was right, there's nothing that could justify such attrocities- neither religion, nor 'Lebensraum', opression or anything else...

#38 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 13 September 2001 - 22:19

I am in NO WAY trying to justify what happened!!! I am just trying to give another perspective. It's too easy to dismiss this all as "evil deeds", we all have blood on our hands...

#39 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,517 posts

Posted 13 September 2001 - 22:21

Michael, with all due respect for your views, I think this is not the place for such a post - it more properly belongs in Paddock Club or Readers Comments. Can I respectfully ask that you please withdraw it?

Advertisement

#40 bobbo

bobbo

• 841 posts

Posted 13 September 2001 - 23:26

Michael:

I STRONGLY agree with and support Vitesse's call for you to withdraw your comment. The appearance, intentional or not, is one of stirring up hatred (which there is FAR TOO MUCH OF) and distrust.

Evil is Evil, plain and simple.

I'm sorry if you feel offended.

Sincerely,

Bobbo

#41 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 2,100 posts

Posted 14 September 2001 - 00:12

Michael, I should like to support the sentiments expressed by Wolf, Vitesse and Bobbo.

This is neither the time nor the place. I believe you made a major error of judgement in posting it. Making those comments at this time can do good.

I respectfully ask you to remove the post.

Vanwall.

#42 cjpani

cjpani

• 2,456 posts

Posted 14 September 2001 - 00:21

Fines,

This time I have to disagree with you.

Nor "opression" nor "mistakes" nor whatever adjective you might want to add coul possibly "end" in death of women, children and innocent men.

None whatsoever. This time I´ll have to echo the above motions.

No one is guilty except for the sick bastards that perpetrated this crime.

peace

cj

#43 Wolf

Wolf

• 7,881 posts

Posted 14 September 2001 - 00:25

Let's put this into perspective, friends... I knew that Michaels post was not aimed at justifying that deed, rather at giving an alternate perspective to the event (with which I, respectfully, disagree). Maybe his phrasing of his message was less than fortunate and I reacted solely to point it out. I would if we dropped this matter, or continued it in the Paddock, knowing that there was no intended disrespect to direct or indirect victims on Michaels part.

#44 FEV

FEV

• 909 posts

Posted 14 September 2001 - 08:45

Dear Fines & All,

I totally agree with Fines view. This tragic event is beyond our "little" passion for motorsport. Posts like Fines' have to be said everywhere, anywhere. In front of such events I don't care about posts being put in the right forum. We must all talk out loud to each other by any way possible.

No one is guilty except for the sick bastards that perpetrated this crime.

If only things were as simple as that.... But they are not.

Peace

FEV

#45 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 14 September 2001 - 12:56

Thank you, FEV!

To all: Sorry if I have offended anyone with my post, that was certainly not intended!!! But I'm still adamant that things like that need to be spoken out, in order to soothe the hatred! If we continue to ignore the plight of the Arabs, we are heading straight for an even bigger disaster!

When I first heard the news on Tuesday, my reaction was the same as everyone's (except for a few fanatical blockheads who thought it a proper time to celebrate), I was totally shocked and devastated. I somehow managed to finish my job, and for the rest of the day stared disbelievingly into a TV set.

Then, on Wednesday morning, anger took me over. Anger at the state of affairs that have made things like that possible, and anger at the people who reacted to it in the insular manner that is so typical for manhood. I'm not blaming anyone here, it's just frustrating that killing and dying is of no interest as long as it's far away.

I am normally a very cheerful person, and try to maintain this cheerfulness even at the most testing of times. However, I have withdrawn my jolly avatar before posting on this thread in order not to hurt anybody's feelings, even if I don't think it anymore appropriate to do that now than at any other time, when there's mass killing going on on this planet. I am not here to stir things up, I just want to sound a voice of reason, a note of warning, and I still think it's a proper time to heed this warning.

I have received a lot of flak for my views (and not only here), but I have also seen people taking note, thinking about it and nodding approvingly. This is definitely not a popular view here in the Western hemisphere, but it is a reasonable view, and I would like to continue to be able to voice my view, here and anywhere else. If all of you happen to think that that is not acceptable, I will retreat, but I sincerely hope that this remains a place where reasonable views can be voiced freely.

I'm not in for a fight, but I definitely would like to see things taking a proper direction, one which solves the problems and not perpetuates them, or even creates new ones. Because of that, I think it's important to discuss what has happened, and preferably without letting our emotions taking the upper hand. This is the Nostalgia Forum, and as such the people who post here have an interest in history, and most of us know how important history is. Let's make sure we don't forget what has happened before September 11th!

Thank you.

#46 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,517 posts

Posted 14 September 2001 - 13:13

Originally posted by YOSSARION
At this time our thoughts should be with those whose lives have been affected by this terrible event.

Yossarion, that is precisely why I have asked Michael to withdraw his post. This is an OT thread, but Michael's post has changed its entire intention. As a new member here, you are not yet eligible to join the Paddock Club - I think the qualification is 20 posts - but when you do gain admission you will see why Wolf and I have suggested it as a more appropriate forum for this sort of discussion. Please don't take this as criticism, BTW:)

Michael, I respectfully request again that you withdraw your post - I am sure that others will withdraw their responses too. Don is not here, but we must uphold the standards which he expects from forum members - please do this: if not for me, for Don.

#47 dmj

dmj

• 1,959 posts

Posted 14 September 2001 - 13:20

I totally agree with Fines' comments on this matter.
Terrorist attacks really saddened me and there are no excuses for them.
But some of reactions from USA also bitterly disappointed me. I can understand these are highly emotional reactions, but it can't be an excuse. Too many Americans demand blood as response, too many of them blame all Arabs for an disgusting act made by just a few of them, and also supported and welcomed by minority of Islamic people around the world.

#48 Leif Snellman

Leif Snellman

• 1,078 posts

Posted 14 September 2001 - 14:03

For Don's sake I have now withdrawn my earlier comment.
I think I have made my point clear to fines.

#49 Uncle Davy

Uncle Davy

• 6,010 posts

Posted 14 September 2001 - 14:22

I am with few words here; my father fought the good fight in WWII. I was naive to think this would not happen in our time.

#50 YOSSARION

YOSSARION

• 24 posts

Posted 14 September 2001 - 14:31

Like Leif I have withdrawn my previous post, because of the possibly inflammatory language, which I feel inappropriate at this time. My thoughts are with those who are suffering now.