Photo

Directions to Rouen

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 pancho

pancho

• 95 posts

Posted 16 September 2001 - 19:58

I,m spending a few days in Paris next week and wanted to take the opportunity to visit what's left of Rouen.
I know there have been numerous threads on the subject before, but can anybody give me brief details on how to find the track from the main routes?

Thanks in advance

Advertisement

#2 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,546 posts

Posted 16 September 2001 - 21:24

KPY is the man to tell you. He works in the town.

Where are you Kyps?

#3 karlth

karlth

• 16,290 posts

Posted 16 September 2001 - 21:38

Is there anything left of Rouen?

Reims is perhaps more interesting.

#4 FEV

FEV

• 909 posts

Posted 16 September 2001 - 21:50

To go to Rouen from Paris : take Autoroute A13 West toward Le Havre, heading north to Rouen at the National Route 17 junction. The track was used until 1993 I think for national championships and you still can drive on the full course. I don't know about grandstands. Those of Reims have been demolished not long ago.
Have a nice trip there Pancho,

FEV

#5 karlth

karlth

• 16,290 posts

Posted 16 September 2001 - 22:01

Originally posted by FEV
Those of Reims have been demolished not long ago.

:(

#6 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,704 posts

Posted 16 September 2001 - 22:47

The only way you can do a full lap is on the pre-1955 circuit. Glad you're coming from Paris, since on my 2 visits there via Calais I got completely lost going through the city itself.

You can however walk the post 71 link from just after Beauval up to Paradis, since it's now a nature trail

On the 1955 - 71 circuit, I'd be interested to know if they've reforested Gresil, since it looked like they were going to. Immediately after the autoroute bridge over the track, there was a huge bank cutting off the corner. If you're interested have a look at some photo's I posted on Johhny Lugnut's site.

http://www.johnnylug....net/rouen.html

Let us know what's happening there.

#7 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,546 posts

Posted 17 September 2001 - 06:17

Little Chris, if you mean by 'reforesting' allowing the trees to take over, then yes they have.

Les Amis des Circuits d'Antan were there in May and since my previous visit just 3 years before, the road around the Virage du Gresil has become almost impassable even on foot due to fallen trees and undergrowth virtually covering it. We had to clamber over and under some quite large chunks of tree, presumably knocked over in high winds. As I recall, the bank that was there in 1998 is gone but there is armco there to stop anyone from driving down it. As if you could! But I may be wrong about that!

There is certainly armco to stop people from driving down the newer section. It is a nice walk and some of the gravel traps are still there although this part of the road has deliberately been reduced to half its original width in places.

The very first link road that turns right earlier than the new link but emerges very close to it is untouched and driveable.

Watch out for the local wild life at the northern end - if she is still there! :lol:

#8 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,704 posts

Posted 17 September 2001 - 10:22

Thanks Barry,

I guessed that was what was likely to happen at Gresil, I'm just glad I got there in time to walk it when it was just covered in undergrowth rather than fallen trees.

I quite enjoyed the walk on the post 71 link myself and according to KPY there are no plans to rip up any of the remaining tarmac as far as he's aware.

Chris

#9 Kpy

Kpy

• 1,259 posts

Posted 17 September 2001 - 10:59

Originally posted by Barry Boor

Watch out for the local wild life at the northern end - if she is still there! :lol:

Barry what DO you mean !!;);) :lol: :lol:

Pancho - directions follow via e-mail tonight.

Everyone - Rouen-les-Essarts is still well worth the visit.

#10 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,546 posts

Posted 17 September 2001 - 11:07

KPY, you know very well what I mean.:cool:

Tell the truth, have you been back there lately?

#11 Kpy

Kpy

• 1,259 posts

Posted 17 September 2001 - 11:25

Off to Rouen in a moment - to WORK !!

#12 pancho

pancho

• 95 posts

Posted 17 September 2001 - 18:45

guys, thanks for the response on this. I'll get some pics and have them posted on my return.
BTW, how much help are the locals likely to be? Is the circuit known to everybody or am I gonna be faced with blank looks?

#13 Kpy

Kpy

• 1,259 posts

Posted 17 September 2001 - 18:57

Pancho
Your e-mail via TNF is blocked. E-mail me and I'll reply with details.

#14 Kpy

Kpy

• 1,259 posts

Posted 17 September 2001 - 18:58

Originally posted by pancho
Is the circuit known to everybody

No

#15 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,769 posts

Posted 17 September 2001 - 19:02

BTW, how much help are the locals likely to be?

They'll be typically French ...:rolleyes: :lol:

#16 Kpy

Kpy

• 1,259 posts

Posted 17 September 2001 - 19:16

Originally posted by Vitesse2

They'll be typically French ...:rolleyes: :lol:

And what nationality do you think Voltaire was, Monsieur shopkeeper ? Racism becomes no-one this week :confused: :confused:

#17 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,769 posts

Posted 17 September 2001 - 19:46

Not racist, just a failed attempt at humour ...:)

#18 Kpy

Kpy

• 1,259 posts

Posted 17 September 2001 - 20:18

Vitesse-
Alors mon brave, see you at les Essarts soon I hope. Bon soir.
;);)

#19 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,582 posts

Posted 18 September 2001 - 07:45

BTW, how much help are the locals likely to be? Is the circuit known to everybody or am I gonna be faced with blank looks?

Went to Rouen F2 in 1978,on a coach tour.On arrival in the town early Sunday,am,we drove arround for about half an hour with the driver asking direction from several people!

Advertisement

#20 Kpy

Kpy

• 1,259 posts

Posted 18 September 2001 - 09:15

Originally posted by Rob29

we drove arround for about half an hour with the driver asking direction from several people!

:) :)
Too right Rob, most people in Rouen have no idea where the circuit is - it's not in Rouen and there's been no racing there since '93. Anyone wants directions, e-mail me and I'll copy you my how to find it file, ditto my famous "how to cross Rouen on the way to Le Mans without getting lost" kit.

#21 mat1

mat1

• 351 posts

Posted 21 September 2001 - 18:50

So the bend into the wood at the top was banked...

That explains the funny cutting of the tarmac.

You can still walk the whole track, and drive all of it except the part through the woods (Gresil).

But the heart-stopping downhill sweepers after start/finish are still there, I think in there original glory. Awesome.

mat

#22 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,546 posts

Posted 22 September 2001 - 07:11

I think I mentioned this point on the 'Amis des Circuits d'Antan' thread, but it may be worth mentioning again given Mat1's previous post.

When Roger, kpy and myself were there in May, I bored them both silly by insisting that I wanted to walk from the start to Nouveau Monde. Apart from the obvious pleasure I got from 'going where my heroes had been before', the thing that struck me was this; when you look over Graham Hill's shoulder on his in car lap from the Rouen Round video, there is no doubt in my mind that the road was NARROWER in the racing days of Rouen. In fact, it is possible to see where the old tarmac ends and the new piece has been added. The widening is on the left hand side of the road as you descend the hill and I would estimate that it has added maybe 3 metres to the road width.

So, spectacular as the swerves may appear now, I think with only two-thirds of the road width, they must have been even more 'white knuckley'!