Photo

Andrea de Cesaris - pictures and articles

• Please log in to reply
705 replies to this topic

#601 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,248 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 08:23

Posted Image..Here he is from face book page....Chio Ezio.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Edited by eldougo, 07 March 2011 - 08:24.

Advertisement

#602 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,031 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 10:14

I am so sorry that you chaps can't read this article. Published in this morning's newspaper. Covers Andrea's recent "hit and run" episode in Cape Town. Hilarious in a way...will try to translate if anyone is interested:

http://www.rapport.c...rtuner-20110311

#603 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,248 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 08:03

That sounds like a good tale re Andrea.....Could you do a Translate to see WHAT happened.

Cheers Eldougo.

#604 andrea

andrea

• 600 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 15:23

Probably interesting story. Could someone translate it?

#605 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,031 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 16:17

Here is a very rough and direct translation. The humor is a bit lost in translation. The journalist who wrote this is absolutely brilliant. Unfortunatly his work is not availible in English:

The Italian’s incident with the neighbor's white Fortuner

This is a report about an Italian bon vivant, a several wrecked racing cars, a Cape Town’s woman damage car and how image boy was forced to return to Italy with his tail between the legs.

The culprit's name is Andrea de Cesaris.

Petrol heads will remember him as the man with the dubious distinction of being "the most unsuccessful driver in the history of Formula One" to be. How unsuccessful? Well, he started 214 and never once won.

He was also notorious for having ... well, to crash!. If it is not his own teammates , then it was another driver who wanted to pass (when he want to lap). So notorious was De Cesaris that he soon was baptized "The Crasheris".

A phrase on Wikipedia reads: "... HIS tendency to make Careless Mistakes cost him dearly ..."

In his second F1 race, he crashed on the second round against a fence.

During his time at McLaren in 1981, there were rumors that his mechanics sometimes refused to repair his car because it was so much damaged. Yes, he was sometimes fast. But he was also unpredictable, reckless and tend to find things to ride.

So a month or two ago I stood before the door of my house, when I saw what was a white panel van with a few sailboards on the rooftop. It drove very fast.

Being a hired minibus, immediately suggested that it is one of the hordes of foreign windsurfers escaping from the European winter to come and hang out here. They usually stay just long enough to realize that South Africa is essentially a lawless country.

Just as South Africa chase them so as lackluster hell in neighborhoods around and stops treating with contempt.

Usually I just curse when I see these speeding demons, but this one I could not ignore, because seconds after he passed me, I heard a blow and "wee-oo-wee-oo" of a car alarm. The speedster hit the mirror of a parked white Fortuner, which belongs to my neighbour’s wife, and now the alarm of the Toyota shouted like a skinned pig.

But other, than expected from an ‘educated’ European, he stopped for just a few seconds, glanced in his rear-view mirror, and sped away.

My blood is boiling and I instantly jumped on my motorbike and chased after him. When he finally stopped, I asked him why he speed away.

"What e-for?"

"Because you hit that car."

"What a-car?"

"Why does your left mirror look like that then?"

"I do not a-know ..."

Long story short: I give the number and the name of the company from whom the panel van has hired the owner of the Fortuner.

Her husband retrieved de Cesaris's number through a local security company. The Italian denied he'd hit anything. He says he has a witness who could substantiate. The guy calls me and I said no, bullsh*t, he was alone in the panel, I was there. And he hit the Fortuner. "Oh," said the husband, "his name is Andrea de Cesaris, the ex-F1 driver."

I started giggling.

"The Crasheris? You make a joke. No wonder! "

The police do not want to engage, "because nobody was hurt." "Sir, it is a civil matter," they advise my neighbour. Yeah, right, with a foreigner here on a sailboard vacation. Thanks anyway, you useless tax-stuffed consumers.

But the husband of the unfortunate woman with the white Fortuner have friends. Friends to whom he gives De Cesaris's cell phone number. Soon a few guys call him and explain to him that what he did was not nice. One or two were less polite. Some arrangements were made. Businesses that scared the bon vivant.

Two days later call was received from a very scared Italian. "I can not a-take it anymore! They phone me all the time! "Well, suggested the husband, now, be a sweet boy and go to the police. Admit your mistake, made a statement and then we can start the process to contact your insurance.

"But you promise you will make them stop!"

"Yes, of course."

The husband calls me a day later. De Cesaris had phoned him. He's hysterical. He's scared and is busy packing his bags. He will fly back to Italy.

Right now. He can not stand the stress anymore.

I see. Yes, surely, he's gone. Out of the country, I suppose. Well done. The SAPS: Thanks for nothing. To everyone who was part of the civic initiative to make this self-centered and reckless individual pack his bags to leave. Well done!

And remember, if you're ever in the Cape, and see a white panel van in your rear-view mirror, occupied by a blond with curls driving like a maniac chases, prefer to pull of the road. For the man is a legend.

For all the wrong reasons.

Edited by Hieronymus, 14 March 2011 - 16:19.

#606 andrea

andrea

• 600 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 17:08

Interesting story. Thanks, Hieronymus.

#607 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,248 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 08:10

Thanks for that translation.....Hieronymus.
Some people make life hard for them selfs by trying to hid the TRUTH.

#608 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,248 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 05:56

Posted Image....copyright Bernard Asset

#609 andrea

andrea

• 600 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 16:19

07 Gran Prix Labatt du Canada

Practice

…Andrea de Cesaris completed the top ten with a Ligier-Renault showing few changes except for mino details to the aerodynamics and wings. Apart from the engine blow-up on Friday and a radiator failure the following day, there were few problems for the Loto-sponsored team…

08 United States Gran Prix Detroit

Practice

…Andrea de Cesaris managed to bounce a Ligier into one wall or another during the Friday morning, Saturday morning and Saturday afternoon sessions, this overtly energetic approach earning him 12th place on 1m 43.889s…

09 United States Gran Prix Dallas

Practice

…Ligier were in similar situation to ATS following the escapades of Andrea de Cesaris in Detroit. In an appropriately circumspect couple of days, Andrea did little other than damage a steering rack and it was left to Francois hesnault to modify the suspension and bodywork of his JS23 against the scenery…

10 John Player Special British Grand Prix

Practice

…Prost responded valiantly with a 1m 11.076s, but the outcome of that final hour’s qualifying was in some way influenced by Andrea de Cesaris who not only managed to throw dirt all over the circuit with an early spin at Westfield (spoiling Lauda’s first run), but then blew up his engine in a spectacular and expensive cloud of smoke with 15 minutes left to run, thoughtlessly dousing the circuit with lubricant as he attempted to make it back to the pits rather than abandoning the Ligier out on the circuit…
…While both Ligier drivers were suffering overb the bumps just as much as de Cesaris had been a month earlier during the tyre testing at Brands. Andrea just pipped his unobtrusively improving team-mate to 20th spot on the grid…

Race

...An absurdly unruly battle between the obstructive Andrea de Cesaris and the pursuing Ferrari C4s was eventually resolved with Alboreto and Arnoux barging their way past the obstructive Ligier. Michele pulled his move at Druids when Andrea moved over to be lapped by Lauda, and Arnoux duplicating this manoeuvre on lap 52, his slightly less effective fashion seeing both cars sliding, interlocked, to the outside of the corner before Rene could resume his race. After it was all over, both Ferrari drivers were about ready to put one on de Cesaris, but the Italian, near to tears, was unrepentant…

#610 Louis Mr. F1

Louis Mr. F1

• 2,823 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 16:56

I've recently bought a F1 photo book from the 80s, there're a few pictures of Andrea in it, I'll try to scan and post these sometime this week.

eldogou - where did you get that photo taken by Bernard Asset? I always like his work!!!

#611 Louis Mr. F1

Louis Mr. F1

• 2,823 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 17:06

there was an interview / article with Andrea in one of the 1985 Grand Prix International magazines, have you got that one already?

#612 andrea

andrea

• 600 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 18:54

there was an interview / article with Andrea in one of the 1985 Grand Prix International magazines, have you got that one already?

Can you put it here?

#613 Louis Mr. F1

Louis Mr. F1

• 2,823 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 03:07

Can you put it here?

sorry, it's not from Grand Prix International, it's actually from Autosport 85, so maybe you've this already.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#614 Louis Mr. F1

Louis Mr. F1

• 2,823 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 03:09

88 Monaco
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

88 Hungary

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Louis Mr. F1, 10 May 2011 - 03:16.

#615 Louis Mr. F1

Louis Mr. F1

• 2,823 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 03:28

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#616 andrea

andrea

• 600 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 15:10

This is an article about Andrea from "Autosport" 1985:

TEN-TENTHS ROMAN
by Duncan Solloway

Zeltweg, the Texaco Schikane. A blue racing car flips over one last time, and comes to rest on its remaining wheels as a fearless feline would land on three feet. Out climbs the driver, muddied but unharmed. ”Good old Andrea, he’s done it again…”
When you first meet him, you get the impression of a young man recovering from some great trauma. He nervously looks about him, though there is a calm in his voice. He incessantly plays with pencils, circuit maps, PR photos, the bric-a-brac that clutters the Ligier motorhome table. As he picks at the badges on his blue overalls, you notice the famous facial twitch that leaves many wondering just what it does to his ability to control a racing car at 180 mph…
Once tipped to drive for Ferrari, 26-year-old Andrea de Cesaris is in fifth “full” season of Grand Prix racing and has yet to mount the top step of the podium. Always on the pace, his driving is as spectacular as you will see. Andrea, though, is still painfully inconsistent.
At Monaco this year, his drive to fourth place was perfect; racing hard when he had to, nursing the car at the end. In Canada, a race later, he had a nightmare. Following more accidents in Germany and Austria, he and Ligier parted company after Zandvoort, neither one reflecting appreciation for the previous 21 months.
His career, like daredevil cat, must be counting its remaining lives.
Andrea’s debut in Formula 1 was in the 1980 Canadian Grand Prix with Alfa Romeo following a rapid and by no means unique climb to prominence. World (freestyle!) karting championship in 1976, young Andrea switched to F3 for a couple of years (six race wins in 1979 and runner-up in the championship) before embarking on two rather erratic seasons of F2, highlighted by a win at Misano in 1980 at the age of 21…
Qualifying eight and 10th for those two North American races was superb effort, but engine trouble in Canada and a collision with Derek Daly at the Glen spoilt the outing, and Mario Andretti was given the drive for 1981. Andrea went to McLaren, and there took the unfortunate name of “de Crasheris”.
“Some of the accidents I had with McLaren were because of mechanical problems, like at Zandvoort where I had brake failure and at Jarama, too,” says Andrea. “But others, it is true, were because of my inexperience. The team was not so well organised then and I never really did any testing.”
“I was 22, there was too much pressure, and at that stage you have a psychological problem which means that, when you are in the car, you are not relaxed and it is easier to have accidents.”
The McLaren split was necessary as much as it was predictable. Many believed that any other driver would have been finished after a year such as de Cesaris’; full of destruction, few results, little respect by the end. It is the belief of most that the only reason Andrea is still in F1 is because of his lucrative Philip Morris Italy contacts…
In the days when he wore the red and white suits, Andrea would strenuously deny that he was any closer to Marlboro that a member of the “World Championship Team” like dozens of others. “I trust Marlboro very much and I think they are the greatest sponsor in F1. They were there from the beginning and they helped me from F3. But at the moment I am not a Marlboro driver, I have no connection.”
The Roman returned to Autodelta for the 1982 season and led his first 13 laps of a Grand Prix at Long Beach, losing the lead to Lauda as he lapped Boesel, missing a shift by shaking his fist at the Brazilian.
At black Zolder that year, he had what he considers to be his best race, climbing to second place before the engine blew apart: ”I was catching Rosberg. Without the engine problem and Watson, I think I could have won!”
Winter testing for the 1983 season was stunning, and the Paul Ricard lap record fell many times to de Cesaris’ Alfa. He led brilliantly at Spa until retirement, just scraped into second place at Hockenheim as the tank ran dry, and took another six points from the final round at Kyalami. These are his best results to date – some compensation for an otherwise disastrous season. At Rio, he was excluded from the start for failing a weight check in qualifying, and at Le Castelet the onboard fire extinguisher was found to be empty and his practice time disallowed. Shortly afterwards, Gerard Ducarouge was dismissed, much to Andrea’s consternation.
“I like Gerard very much. He is a good engineer and quickly understand the problems with the car. He has his own ideas and can successfully adapt the ideas of others. In his mind, everything works so well that he can build competitive cars every time.”
“I was very unhappy when they got rid of him. I told them that but, unfortunately, it was not enough and they realised their mistake only one year after…”
“I have always been very close to Andrea,” says Ducarouge. “We had two years together at Alfa and he is a very quick, intelligent driver with only one aim in life – to win.”
“He made some mistakes at the start of his career, for sure, but it is the same with all drivers. He is now very mature after four years in F1 and ready to win. What happened in 1981 happened to many great drivers, like Jody Scheckter, a past World Champion, and look at Prost now, he sometimes made mistakes.”
“Well, I think he is a great driver. If he was in right team – and he was with Ligier, I suppose – then he could be World Champion…”
The Ligier contract came in November at the eleventh hour. These days, if you are not placed by Monza, you are usually not placed at all. De Cesaris: ”It was a very late decision to join Ligier because I wanted to stay with Alfa Romeo. I had not planned to leave, but then there was a problem between me and Pavanello and the sponsors of the team (Benetton). I was no longer in a good position with the team and, after what happened to Ducarouge and Marlboro I did not like the atmosphere, so I left.”
A couple points from South Africa and another one at Imola was Andrea’s total for 1984. The highlight was qualifying seventh at Monaco, the low point possibly Detroit, where he declared war on the concrete. There was also Dijon, where Andrea’s fire extinguisher was again found to be empty, his times disallowed from the first, dry, practice and thus a non-qualification. Hesnault, of course, ‘stepped down’ for his team mate to start. The season ended with the JS23B. Performance unchanged.
It took a shake-up within the team and the addition of some very useful management and engineers staff from Renault to convince de Cesaris to stay for another year with Guy’s team. With Gerard Larrousse managing and Michel Tetu designing, it was a bit like having Henry Ford round to service your XR3…
Michel Tetu: “Well, he was always pushing and wanting to do the best he could with any car! He had a good feeling for the engine but he did not look carefully at all the figures-temperatures, and so on. We had to ask him several times!”
“In testing, his work with the handling was always consistent and he did the same times with the same tyres with the same chassis configuration. This is very important for the engineers.”
Monaco was most impressive, Andrea driving a very neat race to finish fourth. The other races, though, were disappointing, until Silverstone. “In Brazil I was running fourth. The accident with Arnoux was because he went into the pits without signalling and I could not avoid him. In Portugal, the rain tyres were so bad that we had to stop, and in Imola I had a wing problem. When I came out of the pits, the brake pedal went all the way down and that finished the race for me there. From Monaco I took three points! The crash in practice was due to brakes. This is the first year Ligier are running with carbon and we had not sorted them out completely. Even in the race there, I had a lot of trouble with them. The engineers gave them to me, Laffite started with normal brakes. In Montreal I spun, yes, but Winkelhock did not see me or the flags and the marshals signalled to me that it was OK to rejoin…”
At Silverstone, there was little to chose between the Ligiers and the Brabhams until final practice. Starting seventh he made up places quickly and ran third for a while, mixing it with the Williams pair behind Senna. Clutch failure stopped Andrea after 41 laps but Laffite went on to collect third place. “I was pleased to have Jacques back in the team, I learned from him. Not so much technically but about preparing for a race, how to relax and so on.”
Jacques Laffite: “Oh! For sure he is very good and I was happy to have him as a team mate. He is a nice man and a quick driver. Andrea has been in front of me many times and his reactions are fantastic. But it is important to do that for 60 or 80 laps and maintain concentration.”
These days, a qualifying session rarely goes by without at least one driver castigating another for spoiling his quick lap, even for downright blocking. Riccardo Patrese’s is the name you hear most frequently from simmering drivers who have just given their all for nothing but a fright. Occasionally, though, you will hear the name of de Cesaris spoken with venom.
In the solitary qualifying session run on the Francorchamps soufflé, Eddie Cheever could be seen waving his arm and fist vigorously as he passed de Cesaris’s Alfa out of Eau Rouge…
“Me, me? Who says so?” Andrea gives a look as though they have just found his extinguisher bottle empty again. “No drivers have come to say anything. I never intentionally block anyone. That problem with Cheever could not be avoided. When he came upon me, I was commited to Raidillion and I had nowhere to go.”
And then one recalls Zandvoort qualifying 1983, where Barry McGuigan could have learned a thing or two from de Cesaris…”Yes, I punched Patrese, he blocked me twice in two laps, quite deliberately. He knew I was there, he saw me. For that, I did get a little upset. It is quite dangerous when you are on a quick lap, which is the climax of all the work you do during the testing and preparation over the weekend. Fifty per cent of the race is qualifying; if your best lap is spoiled, then you get upset.”
For Andrea, the future is no longer clear. He had what is clearly his biggest accident ever at Zeltweg last month, destroying yet another chassis. “I have seen it on TV many times,” he recalls. “I put my four wheels on the grass which was very wet. The problem was that the ground is not flat there and my rear wheel was blocked by a ridge and the car rolled. I escaped well…”
Guy Ligier, short of money, monocoques and patience, wasted no time in letting everyone know that the Italian would not be completing the season in either of his remaining cars. Andrea: “After Austria, I spoke with Ligier and he said he was not happy with ny performance and wanted to change the financial arrangement for the rest of the year. I did not agree, so we split. I could not race at Monza because of the existing contract and my lawyer is now dealing with that…”
Like de Angelis, he is young veteran: only Senna and Martini are younger. Andrea de Cesaris’ speed is recognised by all, many just can not afford to run him. The vision of a sponsor’s name barrel-rolling on TV is, to most, unacceptable…
“To win a Grand Prix you need to have the right tyres, the right engine, the right car and a good team. If I have all the right stuff I can win. I know that.”
“One of the fastest of the moment,” says Gerard Larrousse. “But, of course, he must prove that he is able to win a Grand Prix. He is capable of winning: if he is OK in his head he is perfect, it is just that sometimes he is a little too hot, like any Italian. If he is to succeed, though, he must do it soon.”

Forza Andrea,

This is the same article without pictures. Anyway, thanks for your effort, Louis Mr. F1. And especially thanks for excellent Andrea's pictures from 1988 and 1985.

#617 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,696 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 17:20

I've recently bought a F1 photo book from the 80s, there're a few pictures of Andrea in it, I'll try to scan and post these sometime this week.

At the risk of stating the obvious, have you never heard of copyright? If not, I would suggest you read this http://forums.autosp...=...p;f=10&id=8
Incidentally, it also covers copying of magazine articles.

#618 andrea

andrea

• 600 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 21:38

...11 Grosser Preis von Deutschland

Practice

…Judging by the rather tatty state of the Loto-Ligiers, development was standing still within the French team, Guy Ligier being notable by his absence once again. In spite of this and his troubles out on the track, de Cesaris took 11th place on his last lap of practice, Francois Hesnault being over one second slower…

Race

…One of the few highlights of the German Grand Prix had been a battle between the Ligiers, Francois Hesnault overtaking Andrea de Cesaris on a number of occasions despite a broken brake balance adjuster which should have cured locking front brakes. The French cars finished seventh and eight…

12 Grosser Preis von Osterreich

Practice

…Andrea de Cesaris joined in the fashionable pastime of blowing Renault V6s apart, the volatile Italian suffering major failures in both qualifying sessions on his way to a 1m 31.588s, 16th quickest. Team mate Hesnault plainly did not look at home on the fast sweeps of the circuit, acute understeer keeping his time down to a lowly 1m 32.270s…

#619 Julian Roberts

Julian Roberts

• 731 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 13:56

Taken under braking for Becketts corner, Silverstone 1979

Posted Image
Andrea De Cesaris by groupc, on Flickr

Advertisement

#620 andrea

andrea

• 600 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 10:57

13. Grote Prijs van Nederland

Practice

...Andrea de Cesaris took 14th place for Ligier on Saturday afternoon. During the course of the final session, the team lost another engine, Andrea thoughtfully dropping oil at the hairpin and causing his team-mate to back off in the middle of his quick lap...

Race

...The Ligiers had engaged in its inter-team battle, de Cesaris retiring with engine failure to leave Hesnault to finish in lonely seventh place..

14. Gran Premio d'Italia

Practice

...Although Ligier's revamped JS23B had been tested briefly at Paul Ricard in the previous week, it was deemed too newe to be raced at Monza, so the Italian and his team-mate Hesnault appeared in their regular Renault-engined cars. Andrea qualified a rather disappointed 16th on the grid on 1m 31.198s, while Hesnault was quite pleased with himself on this occasion, barely a tenth of a second behind in 18th spot...

#621 andrea

andrea

• 600 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 16:29

...15. Grosser Preis von Europa

Practice

...After unsatisfactory tests prior to the Italian GP, Ligier finally gave their revised car - the JS23B - an official airing. Featuring pushrod suspension (which required ungainly bodywork to cover the upper pick-up points at the front) and revised intercoolers, the Loto and Antar sponsored car offered little improvement although Andrea de Cesaris stuck with it throughtout most of practice and took 17th place, only three-tenths quicker than Hesnault...

16. Grande Premio de Portugal

Practice

#622 andrea

andrea

• 600 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 17:47

These will be sequences from book “Autocourse 1985-86” about Andrea de Cesaris:

01 Grande Premio do Brasil

Practice

…With the arrival of Gerard Larrousse, Michel Tetu and Jacques Laffite at Ligier, the French team appeared to be top-heavy. Appropriately enough, the blue cars were among the heaviest during the qualifying session weigh-ins – Laffite’s car tipping the scales at 605 kilos compared to the 559 kg for Lauda’s McLaren. Jacques was half a second slower than Andrea de Cesaris, the Italian suffering clutch trouble on Friday and an engine drive belt failure on the Renault V6 which forced him to use the spare car for the final session…

Race

…On 27 laps, there was to be another controversial incident as the enthusiastic de Cesaris tried to tackle Arnoux for what had become fourth place. The Ligier rammed the back of the Ferrari and, unfortunately for Arnoux, he had just passed the entrance to the pit lane when he became aware that the left-rear tyre was deflating. There was nothing for it but a slow drive back to the pits and, by the time Rene had covered the 3.126 miles, the Ferrari was running on its rim. A new Goodyear was slammed into place and Arnoux was heading down the pit lane for another of his storming drives. De Cesaris, meanwhile, had walked back to the pits to explain how he had lost a certain place in the points…

02 Grande Premio de Portugal

Practice

…In the Pirelli camp there was endless speculation as to why Ligier’s overweight JS25 seemed so effective on the unpredictable Italian rubber, many observers reckoning that the car’s surplus kilos provided the ideal way to work up to correct temperatures! The irrepressible Andrea de Cesaris opposite-locked his way round to an eight quickest 1m 23.02s, although this was more than two seconds away from the Goodyear pole time. Running with candy identification for the first time, the indications were that the French cars from Vichy were being massaged into some semblance of competitive shape, even though the happy-go-lucky Jacques Laffite found himself down in a lowly 18th slot on 1m 24.943s, his Friday best. Clutch failure spoiled his chances of improvement and he had to wait for a turn in Andrea’s race car on Saturday as the spare chassis didn’t have a qualifying-spec engine installed…

Race

…On lap 16 Lacques Laffite pulled into the pits and drove straight into his garage. Climbing out, the normally jaunty Frenchman made it quite clear that, as far as he was concerned, the whole thing was a precarious waste of time. Recounting just how difficult to drive his JS25 had proved on those Pirelli wets, he finished his sermon by suggesting that his team-mate be signaled to stop – if the team wanted de Cesaris’ car to have any wheels still attached by the end of the afternoon. After some consideration, as the weather deteriorated by the lap, Andrea was flagged in on lap 30…

#623 midgrid

midgrid

• 4,759 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 10:56

Andrea, have you seen this photo collection?

#624 andrea

andrea

• 600 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 20:24

Thanks for the link, midgrid. But I've already seen these collection (and Andrea's pictures).

#625 andrea

andrea

• 600 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 16:37

...03 Gran Premio di San Marino

Practice

…Neither Ligier driver was happy with Pirelli qualifying tyres which would last no more than half a lap. Jacques Laffite used race tyres on Saturday while Andrea de Cesaris had his best lap blocked by Alliot’s RAM…

Race

04 Grand Prix de Monaco

Practice

…Behind Rosberg in eight place was a commendably tidy Andrea de Cesaris in his latest lightweight Ligier JS25, the Italian making up for crashing the heavier spare car quite hard at massanet during the Saturday morning untimed session. Not only did this make him the quickest Pirelli runner, it also meant that there were three Renault-powered cars (two Lotuses and Ligier) ahead of the Regie’s best-placed work runner, the 10th placed RE60 of Derek Warwick…

Race

…De Cesaris’ fourth place was just reward for the Italian’s well-judged blend of forceful driving and self-control…

#626 andrea

andrea

• 600 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 16:57

05 Grand Prix Labatt du Canada

Practice

Race

…On lap six, de Cesaris spun his Ligier at one of the S-bends on the return leg of the circuit, pirouetting drunkenly in a misguidedly spectacular attempt to get the car facing the correct way – in the course of which he managed to wipe Winkelhock’s RAM into the barrier in a manoeuvre which looked like something out of the Keystone Cops! Andrea pitted for a fresh nose section before continuing on his way unabashed, leaving a furious Manfred to abandon his rumpled car by the side of the circuit…

06 United States Grand Prix Detroit

Practice

Race

#627 andrea

andrea

• 600 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 13:48

07 Grand Prix de France

Practice

…Andrea de Cesaris’s Ligier JS25 qualified 12th on 1m 35.571s, the Italian suffering boost control problems on Friday and missing gear on his best Saturday run…

Race

…Paying the penalty, perhaps, of trying to run excessive boost pressure to produce a good showing in front of the home crowd, the Ligier JS25s both expired a few miles into the race. Laffite was out on lap three with turbo failure, while de Cesaris stopped in front of the pits with a broken driveshaft two laps later…

08 Marlboro British Grand Prix

Practice

…A wholesale improvement for Andrea de Cesaris early in the final session saw the Ligier driver jump from 21st to seventh, Andrea expressing himself pleased with the Pirelli qualifiers although he had reservations about their race rubber…

Race

#628 andrea

andrea

• 600 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 17:10

09 Grosser Preis von Deutschland

Practice

…The Ligier JS25s occupied their customary mid-grid positions with Laffite just out-qualifying de Cesaris for 13th place on the grid and then delighting the spectators by setting quickest time of all in Saturday’s soaking untimed warm-up session…

Race

10 Grosser Preis von Osterreich

Practice

…Andrea de Cesaris, on the other hand, was far from happy and a check on his car on Friday had found the suspension settings to be in correct. Even so, Andrea found the car to be undriveable on Saturday and he intended to take over Laffite’s car once Jacques had finished with it. That plan was cancelled when it rained and the initial problem with Andrea’s car was thought to be faulty shock absorbers…

Race

…Powering through the Texaco Schikane, the Italian Andrea de Cesaris had put a rear wheel on the grass – and kept his foot on the throttle. The Ligier slid sideways, the rear catching the sloping bank to begin a series of rolls and flips before crashing upside down and the rolling back onto the two wheels which remained attached to the chassis. After a few moments, Andrea, his helmet splattered in mud, undid his belts and climbed out. It was a miraculous escape, even by the standards of Andrea de Cesaris…

11 Grote Prijs van Netherlands

Practice

…But Andrea de Cesaris was badly off-form, languishing down in 18th place on 1m 13.797s. The Italian was feeling just a touch jaded after his spectacular end-over-end accident in the previous weekend’s Austrian Grand Prix, not to say somewhat indignant that Guy Ligier had decided to dispense with his services immediately following Zandvoort race. Some observers couldn’t see the sense in this. With the Italian Candy domestic appliance concern as one of the Ligier co-sponsors, what sense did it make kicking out his only Italian driver a week before Monza?...

Race

#629 andrea

andrea

• 600 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 18:25

These will be sequences from book “Autocourse 1981-82” about Andrea de Cesaris:

01 Toyota Grand Prix of the United States (West)

Practice

…McLaren International brought their new carbon fibre Marlboro MP4 along and Ron Dennis’s immaculate preparations won the Concours. It was to be the high point of the weekend. The MP4 had not had sufficient testing and fuel pressure problems coupled with the wrong choice of springs and exhausts which burnt the bodywork forced Watson to use the stand-by M29 during the Saturday afternoon and take a place behind his team mate, Andrea de Cesaris, at the back of the grid…

Race

…Behind the Fittipaldi, however, the now traditional Long Beach shunt for the benefit of the army of photographers was taking place as de Cesaris made a nonsense of his braking and punted Prost sideways before launching Rebaque into the air. The McLaren and Renault were out then and there but Rebaque (now running a Hewland gearbox) continued ahead of Tambay (taking it easy in his first Grand Prix in over 12 months), Serra, Surer, Arnoux, Watson and Gabbiani…

#630 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,248 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 05:22

Great to see your back Happy New Year for 2012 .Forza Andrea.

For those wanting to look up pictures QUICKLY in Post 625 it is (1992-43) photo2-3.

#631 andrea

andrea

• 600 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 15:13

02 Grande Premio do Brasil

Practice

…The Marlboro McLaren team had rushed their carbon-fibre MP4 back to Donington immediately after Long Beach but the English weather put paid to any hopes of lengthy testing. John Watson was rather surprised therefore to find himself so far up the grid with the heavy M29F while Andrea de Cesaris found his level on the tenth row after series of spins…

Race

…De Cesaris took one look at the turmoil and moved off the track while Surer did likewise and motored for 200 yards or more along the grass to emerge in ninth place!...

#632 andrea

andrea

• 600 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 16:37

03 Gran Premio de la Republica Argentina

Practice

…Andrea de Cesaris’s almost desperate efforts in the old M29F saw the little Italian regularly dump loads of grass in the pit lane after adventures on his way to 18th slot on the grid…

Race

…The Ferrari driver (Villeneuve) had got out of shape at the fifth gear curve and de Cesaris had spun while avoiding him. The Italian then made matters worse by spinning once more in his desperation to point the McLaren in the right direction…

04 Gran Premio di San Marino

Practice

…Young Andrea de Cesaris was rather peeved when the McLaren management voted him into the old M29F rather than let him loose in an MP4. They wisely felt the pressure to perform well at home might have a detrimental effect on chassis and bodywork and the Italian did well to take a place a half-way up the grid…

Race

…The Alfas, led by Andretti, were under pressure from de Cesaris who, in turn, had opened a gap over a tight group consisting of Cheever, Alboreto and Gabbiani..
…Giacomelli was left to deal with de Cesaris but the two had a coming-together as the McLaren moved ahead…
…To make matters worse, de Cesaris retook sixth place as Villeneuve struggled with a slipping clutch – but at least the turbos were as healthy as they had been at the start…

#633 andrea

andrea

• 600 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 17:29

05 Grote Prijs van Belgie

Practice

…Andrea de Cesaris had to make do with the M29F and he just made the grid after losing time with a broken fuel pump drive…

Race

06 Grand Prix de Monaco

Practice

…Andrea de Cesaris, having a run in an MP4 for the first time, stuck with the trick suspension and ended up fractionally slower than Watson in spite of bending a rocker arm on Saturday afternoon…

Race

…All 20 cars left the corner in one piece – but not before de Cesaris had touched Prost on the way out and damaged the McLaren as a result. The Italian, partly out of control, ran up the hill with Prost alongside on his right – and Watson nudging his way through on the left. Andretti, meanwhile, was watching from a respectful distance, fully aware that an accident was about to happen and, before he knew it, the McLaren number 8 was turning right to trap the Alfa Romeo against the barrier. Andretti couldn’t believe his eyes as the McLaren ripped off his left-front wheel and sent the pair into retirement…

#634 andrea

andrea

• 600 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 15:24

07 Grand Premio de Espana

Practice

…Andrea de Cesaris set his time on his third lap but his practice was not as simple as that. A broken steering arm sent the Italian into the sand on Friday and then he spun off on his fourth lap on Saturday and damaged the car. Had he not done so, de Cesaris might have been higher than 14th on the grid …

Race

…De Cesaris had another incident on lap 10 and spun into retirement while the progress of Laffite held everyone’s attention…

08 Grand Prix de France

Practice

…Even Andrea de Cesaris seemed able to do remarkable deeds with his MP4, the Italian appearing on a variety lines, soon corrected by a deft flick of the wheel and a forgiving chassis with bags of downforce and grip. His time was all the more commendable when it was considered he was forced to use Watson’s discarded qualifiers…

Race

…De Cesaris was next after the most amazing piece of overtaking at the end of lap 55. Struggling along with violent understeer in eight place came Bruno Giacomelli and the Alfa Romeo driver ran wide at the first corner causing the closely following Andretii to lift off and take a tighter line on the inside. Through the middle, however, came de Cesaris, flat out and bouncing off Andretti’s car as he avoided Giacomelli. The Italian eventually got ahead of the startled Andretti while de Angelis and Mansell fought tooth and nail for ninth place on the road…

#635 andrea

andrea

• 600 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 16:38

09 Marlboro British Grand Prix

Practice

…Watson’s time was a scant one-hundredth of a second faster than de Cesaris who showed a remarkably clean bill of health on a circuit he knew and liked…

Race

The McLaren team had become apprehensive about de Cesaris; two days and not a single shunt. Andrea, as if on cue, obliged by spinning off at Stowe but, luckily, what should have been a major accident amounted to no more than superficial bodywork damage...
…De Cesaris, who had been right on Watson’s gearbox, was unsighted initially and the Italian pulled left to avoid ramming his team-mate and rushed headlong into the fencing…

10 Grosser Preis von Deutschland

Practice

…Andrea de Cesaris moved onto the fifth row with his team leader after a quick lap on Saturday although the Italian manage a spin at one of the chicanes before the session was over…

Race

…Watson began a quick slide down the lap chart and any hope of salvation for McLaren was lost when de Cesaris spun off and could not restart while attempting to take seventh place from Tambay. The Italian said he was alongside the Ligier as they went through the Sachskurve but Tambay banged wheels with the McLaren and de Cesaris’s engine died when he lifted off…

#636 ericok

ericok

• 40 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 17:32

Posted Image
Andrea de Cesaris Alfa Glen 80 by ericok, on Flickr
Posted Image
1989 F1 Canada Montreal Boutsen Patrese and de Cesaris on the Podium by ericok, on Flickr
Posted Image
1988 F1 Brazil GP Andrea de Cesaris Rial Ford by ericok, on Flickr
More Andrea de Cesaris

#637 andrea

andrea

• 600 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 18:23

Thanks, ericok. Keep posting de Cesaris' pictures here.

#638 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,248 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:13

1984 at Calder in the AGP he came in 3rd place ..Taken from a center page Advertisement.

Posted Image
Copyright unknown.

#639 andrea

andrea

• 600 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 15:39

Thanks, eldougo. I've never seen this picture before.

Advertisement

#640 ericok

ericok

• 40 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 22:19

Posted Image
1992 F1 Canada Andrea de Cesaris - Tyrell by ericok, on Flickr
Posted Image
1990 F1 Canada Andrea de Cesaris - Dallara by ericok, on Flickr
Posted Image
1990 F1 Canada Andrea de Cesaris in the Dallara Judd by ericok, on Flickr
Posted Image
1991 F1 Canadian GP Andrea de Cesaris - Jordan by ericok, on Flickr

That's it. The rest of my de Cesaris.

#641 andrea

andrea

• 600 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 19:36

11 Grosser Preis von Osterreich

Practice

…Andrea de Cesaris had been sixth-tenths slower than Watson on Friday but the young Italian's withering reputation received another crushibg blow when he spun off on his first lap of practice on Saturday afternoon. De Cesaris lost control coming through the left-band Serbring curve, the McLaren bouncing high in the air before spinning across the grass in a welter of fibre-glass and wings. Somehow, the monocoque remained intact and the long-suffering mechanics began repairs in time for the race...

Race

12 Grote Prijs van Nederland

Practice

…Any problems "Wattie" may have had were minor compared to those of Andrea de Cesaris who suffered from a recurrence of his usual trouble - crashing. Having spun off every conceivable way during the season, Andrea did a proper job this time and damaged the monocoque by bouncing it into the tyre barrier at the end of the straight. Until then, de Cesaris had been doing a reasonable job although it was noticeable that the Italian was braking very late at Tarzan. On Saturday, he excelled himself and shot straight across the corner when his brake pedal went hard. That was Andrea's version although observers at the corner reported the McLaren to be accompanied by blue smoke from locked front tyres. Either way, the team had had enough for the time being and it was decided not to entrust de Cesaris with the spare car and his race car was shipped back to England without delay...

Race

#642 andrea

andrea

• 600 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 19:57

13 Gran Premio d'Italia

Practice

…Practice was barely 45 minutes old when officials brought proceedings to a halt. Someone has gone off at the first chicane. Almost instinctively, eyes turned to the Marlboro McLaren pit and, sure enough, car number eight had not returned. Andrea had done it again. Eventually, the red and white MP4 came in on the back of the truck and the tight-lipped mechanics gathered round to find the left rear corner ripped right off, drive shaft and all. De Cesaris was obliged to sit out the rest of Friday practice and watch Watson set sixth fastest time...

Race

...Pulling to the side, Nelson sat motionless in the car for a fewe minutes, unable to take in such a cruel blow. Reutemann, de Angelis and Pironi flashed by while de Cesaris, who shopuld have been next, went off with a puncture. Thus, Piquet managed to rake one point from the ashes of his despair...

14 Grand Prix Labatt du Canada

Practice

…Andrea de Cesaris, meanwhile, had covered 28 laps of official practice without - whisper it - crashing and the Italian marked his first anniversary in Formula 1 by qualifying in the middle of the grid...

Race

...The next retirement, regrettably, was Andrea de Cesaris, thge Italian having produced a sensible drive when he needed it most but he threw it all away with a rash manoeuvre which almost wiped out Piquet and the leader in one hit! With a secure championship point under his belt, de Cesaris became over-excited when he came across Piquet as the Brabham slithered along in fifth place. A desperate stab at out-braking Piquet saw at the McLaren drivert slide into the back of the Brabham and spin off while, behind them both, Laffite just managed to take avoiding action. Piquet gathered his car up with a swift touch of opposite lock, Laffitte heaved a sigh of relief while de Cesaris was on the point of tears as he tried unsuccessfully to restart his car...

15 Caesars Palace Grand Prix

Practice

…Andrea de Cesaris managed to keep his car away from the walls throughout practice and took 14th place on the grid for what appeared to be his last race for Marlboro McLaren...

Race

...Cheever stopped with a blown engine and de Cesaris made his way into the pits to change tyres...
...Pironi, having stopped to check skirt damage, set the fastest lap on a new set of tyres while second fastest lap went to none other than Andrea de Cesaris who really went motoring after his delay in the pits...

#643 andrea

andrea

• 600 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 19:04

I was very busy last couple of months, but I'm back now. Hope you'll send some pictures and articles about Andrea. I'll continue with sequences from “Autocourse 1986-87” about Andrea de Cesaris:

01 Grande Premio do Brasil

Practice

...The all-Italian rear section of the grid was filled, predictably, by the Minardi and Osella teams, each accompanied a list of problems which did not really excuse lap speeds ten seconds slower than pole. Andrea de Cesaris had clutch, exhaust and halfshaft trouble while electric trouble for Alessandro Nannini thoroughly disrupted his practice. He took his place at the back behind the Osellas of Piercarlo Ghinzani and Formula 3000 Champion Christian Danner...

Race

...Matching Prost's progress, but a few places down the order, Andrea de Cesaris was driving a Minardi like it had never been driven before. By the time the Italian had hurled his car into seventh place on lap 15, the team had given the game away. The haze of fuel vapour emerging from the back of the car suggested a less than circumspect turbo boost setting and it was clear that the team had no intention of reaching the finish - assuming the fuel tank was full in the first place. The news that the car eventually coasted to a halt on lap 17 with 'turbo/engine trouble' was difficult to take seriously...

02 Grand Premio Tio Pepe de Espana

Practice

...The most famous of Italian teams arrived in Spain in a somewhat up-tight mood as Andrea de Cesaris's Minardi-MM had just completed a testing stint at Fiorano during which a high-boost run on super sticky rubber had sent the Commendatore bellowing for his men to sally forth and restore the team's honour...

Race

#644 andrea

andrea

• 600 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 14:34

03 Gran Premio di San Marino

Practice

...Boosted by a win for Lancia at Monza the previous weekend, Alessandro Nannini and Andrea de Cesaris flung their Minardis around Imola in a haze of high boost from the MM motors and, surprisingly, it was the former who set by far and away the best time, Nannini taking 18th place on a circuit he knows well. De Cesaris, by contrast, was the more untidy of the two and distinguished himself by blocking other drivers, his best effort being a second slower than his team-mate...

Race

04 Grand Prix de Monaco

Practice

...And right at the bottom of the list came the Minardis, neither Andrea de Cesaris nor Alessandro Nannini managing to record a single quick lap on Saturday thanks to engine and turbo failure...

Race

#645 Hamish Robson

Hamish Robson

• 347 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 16:31

Andrea, I hope you spotted that the last issue of Motorsport (October 2012) had an interview with Andrea de Cesaris, and most entertaining it was.

#646 andrea

andrea

• 600 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:42

Andrea, I hope you spotted that the last issue of Motorsport (October 2012) had an interview with Andrea de Cesaris, and most entertaining it was.

Thanks, Hamish. I have it but I can not put here.

#647 jcbc3

jcbc3

• 5,111 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:33

It wasn't his fault. Or words to that effect.  ;)

#648 andrea

andrea

• 600 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 13:03

05 Grand Prix de Belgique

Practice

...Andrea de Cesaris were thw last driver to break the two-minute barrier and team-mate Alessandro Nannini might have joined him had it not been for a turbo fire...

Race

06 Grand Prix Labatt du Canada

Practice

...Completing the top 20 was Nannini's Minardi ahead of team-mate de Cesaris...

Race

#649 andrea

andrea

• 600 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 16:26

What is wrong with this picture?
Posted Image

#650 jcbc3

jcbc3

• 5,111 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 18:31

Facing the wrong way?

Wrong number?

Edited by jcbc3, 13 October 2012 - 18:34.