Photo

Andrea de Cesaris - pictures and articles

• Please log in to reply
705 replies to this topic

#201 andrea

andrea

• 600 posts

Posted 10 December 2002 - 13:56

Come on guys.I know some of you have interesting story about Andrea,so put it here.

Forza Andrea,

Advertisement

#202 andrea

andrea

• 600 posts

Posted 18 January 2003 - 15:33

Hi guys.It past more than three months since my last replay,but from now I 'll send it every 3-4 days. This is an article about Andrea's pole position in Long Beach 1982:

It's a few minutes before the end of the last official practise on the Saturday before the race and Tyler Alexander (McLaren's team manager) talks on the radio,when Niki comes around the last corner:"Come on!Come on!".Then jubilation in the McLaren pits:1.27.436,pole position!
"It took so long,because there was so much traffic,"Niki reports "but this is the limit of the car.I could not driven faster"."How is the car",asks Ron Dennis."Awful",smiles Niki,"terrible"."How much do you pay me for pole anyway?" "Nothing",replies Ron,"it all goes in my own pocket."
All the drivers fight-Piquet,Arnoux,Prost,to beat the super Lauda.The press gathers around Lauda,but he chats with Dennis.13.59 hours.Niki goes back to the pits,finds an apple,takes a bite and can't beleive his ears.The speaker shouts:"De Cesaris in the last lap 0.120 seconds faster than Lauda."
Tears trickle down Andrea's cheeks,when he stop in the pits.He puts his hands to his face over and over.The youngest driver steals the pole from the comeback-superstar.The ex-Mc Laren driver,who had to leave because Lauda came back.Andrea said:"This is my revenge,not even on purpose,and it proves that I can be trusted."

Forza Andrea,

#203 dolomite

dolomite

• 950 posts

Posted 18 January 2003 - 17:55

Originally posted by andrea
Come on guys.I know some of you have interesting story about Andrea,so put it here.

Forza Andrea,

Here's a couple of pictures for you:

Posted Image
Silverstone 1983

Posted Image
Silverstone 1985

#204 andrea

andrea

• 600 posts

Posted 19 January 2003 - 11:16

Excellent pictures,Dolomite.Hope you'll send more soon.

Forza Andrea,

#205 andrea

andrea

• 600 posts

Posted 20 January 2003 - 08:56

This is Andrea's 1991 year with Jordan-race by race.

After leaving Scuderia Italia Andrea tested for AGS,then when the annoucement of him signing for Jordan caused a lot of f1 fans to put pen to paper to criticize Eddie Jordan for signing de Cesaris.Eddie at the time said he needed a qiuck,experienced driver to:a)get the team out of the dreaded pre-qualifying;b)to have a driver who knew the circuits and c)to score points for the team.

US G.P.-Phoenix-10th. March 1991

Unfortunately de Cesaris did not get off to the best of starts by failing to pre-qualify due to "buzzing" the engine by selecting 2nd instead of 4th on the Friday.

Brazilian G.P.-Interlagos-24th. March 1991

13th on the grid and in the early laps both Andrea and Gachot where running well,in9th and 10th position,but both were in trouble,Gachot with strange misfire and with Andrea's engine cutting resulting in him spinning out on Lap 21.

Forza Andrea,

#206 dolomite

dolomite

• 950 posts

Posted 23 January 2003 - 00:25

I have to say I'm amazed to discover how many pictures I've managed to take of de Cesaris in various cars over the years....

Silverstone 92:

Posted Image
Posted Image

#207 andrea

andrea

• 600 posts

Posted 23 January 2003 - 15:06

Dolomite,you make this thread much better with Andrea's pictures.Hope you will continue to send them.

Forza Andrea,

#208 andrea

andrea

• 600 posts

Posted 23 January 2003 - 15:26

San Marino G.P.-Imola-April 28th. 1991

Topped pre-qualifying and qualified 11th with Gachot 12th.On lap 26 Andrea got the Jordan into the points for the first time,but on lap 37 retired with a gear-linkage problems.Gachot retired on the same lap due to a failed suspension.

Monaco G.P.-Monte Carlo-May 12th. 1991

Andrea qualified 10th,and was running very well,and was putting Alesi in the Ferrari under great pressure who was running in the 6th place.Sadly,though,his race would end on lap 22 with the engine stopping due to a broken throttle cable and parked in the escape roasd at Mirabeau.

Canadian G.P.-Montreal-June 2nd. 1991

Andrea qualified 11th,with Gachot 14th.Both drivers started on Goodyears softest "D" tyres,and both came in early for tyre changes,thereafter,Andrea and Bertrand would run like trains to the finish,their cars quite fantastic under braking for the first corner.Whilst Mansell was busy waving to the crowd and letting his revs drop and the engine to die on the last lap,Andrea scored his first points of the season,Jordan's first points in F1 by coming home 4th with Gachot behind in 5th.Andrea had done business for Jordan.

Mexican G.P.-Mexico City-June 16th. 1991

Still on high from the previous G.P. Andrea qualified 11th,with Gachot well behind on 20th.On lap 30 Andrea was shadowing Senna for 3rd place,and on the last lap his No 33 cut out,Andrea got out of the car,and was ordered by a marshall to push the car over the line,he did,and another 4th place was secured.

Forza Andrea,

#209 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 23 January 2003 - 18:00

Originally posted by andrea
Andrea got out of the car,and was ordered by a marshall to push the car over the line,he did,and another 4th place was secured.

Not quite correct, I believe. Pushing was forbidden these days with a threat of exclusion from the event. Back then I thought it wouldn't have made a difference, since he was the last car running on the lead lap and disqualification for an infringement of the sporting rules would have merely docked his last lap, leaving him still fourth. But no, not disqualification, but exclusion! Luckily for him, the marshal did convince him to stop pushing, so he did and was classified fourth as having retired on the last lap.

#210 andrea

andrea

• 600 posts

Posted 24 January 2003 - 10:19

Originally posted by fines

Not quite correct, I believe. Pushing was forbidden these days with a threat of exclusion from the event. Back then I thought it wouldn't have made a difference, since he was the last car running on the lead lap and disqualification for an infringement of the sporting rules would have merely docked his last lap, leaving him still fourth. But no, not disqualification, but exclusion! Luckily for him, the marshal did convince him to stop pushing, so he did and was classified fourth as having retired on the last lap.

Fines,I agree with you.These reports are from Club Newsletter from Andrea de Cesaris Fan Club which was run by late Stephen Wade,so I'm writing just as they are.

Forza Andrea,

#211 andrea

andrea

• 600 posts

Posted 24 January 2003 - 10:37

French G.P.-Magny Cours-July 7th 1991

Topped pre-qualifying,and was 13th on the grid.Was runnung well when Modena spun his Tyrrell and tapped Martini's Minardi,and Andrea spun to avoid them,but continued undamaged and plowed on, to score more points for 6th place.

British G.P.-Silverstone-July 14th 1991

The last pre-qualifying for Jordan and Andrea celebrated by topping it again.Qualified 13th.Was running strongly in mid-field until lap 42.After an early pit stop was back to 7th,but going through Abbey the Jordan snapped out of control.After what seemed a long time,it hit a wall extremely hard,and Andrea was fortunate to come out of it with only abruised leg and shock.A bolt in the rear suspension sheared causing the rear end to collapse.He was very lucky not to be hit by Nakajima as No 33 spun across the track.

German G.P.-Hockenheim-July 28th 1991

Now that Andrea did not have to drag himself out of bed early on Friday he managed to conserve his energies and it showed.He qualified 7th,the highest a Jordan had been on the grid.He had obviosly put behind the Silverstone shunt,because Andrea never went below 8th throughtout the race and came home 5th with Gachot 6th.

Forza Andrea,

#212 De Cesaris

De Cesaris

• 9 posts

Posted 24 January 2003 - 23:46

I'd like to know if it´s possible to find any De Cesaris car made by Onyx, MiniChamps or any other producer ?
I know about a Dallara made by Onyx ... any other car ??

#213 deangelis86

deangelis86

• 365 posts

Posted 25 January 2003 - 12:33

Originally posted by dolomite
I have to say I'm amazed to discover how many pictures I've managed to take of de Cesaris in various cars over the years....

Silverstone 92:

My god that particular Tyrrell was one hell of a good looking F1 car.....

Speaking of De Cesaris models, I use to own an die-cast Onyx (I think) 1989 Dallara of Andrea and damn good it was too!

#214 andrea

andrea

• 600 posts

Posted 25 January 2003 - 15:23

Originally posted by De Cesaris
I'd like to know if it´s possible to find any De Cesaris car made by Onyx, MiniChamps or any other producer ?
I know about a Dallara made by Onyx ... any other car ??

De Cesaris,try at ebay.co.uk.You can find many Andrea's models.

Forza Andrea,

#215 andrea

andrea

• 600 posts

Posted 27 January 2003 - 14:53

Hungarian G.P.-Hungariring-August 11th 1991

Qualified 17th,troubled by a dodgy engine in practice.A steady,relentless drive to finish 7th,just out of points.

Belgian G.P.-Spa-August 25th 1991

One could write a book just on this race.Gachot in prison for the notorius CS gas incident-Schumacher taking his place and out qualifying Andrea.
Schumacher lasted about half a mile whilst Andrea got the hammer down and drove the race of his life,carving through the field.On lap 32 Andrea was only 2 seconds behind Senna who was leading the race,in fact at Radillion he nearly got alongside Senna.In the Jordan pits,they were excited,but also a touch resigned.On the radio de Cesaris told them his water temperature was climbing into the red,and they told him "to go for it",which he did.His engine then gave up the fight on lap 41.Eight years ago Andrea led this race in the Alfa Romeo,but the car was right on the edge,on this day he was faultless.He deserved to win,not just a rostrum place.It just a 20p hose clip allowing water to leak out thoughout the race.

Italian G.P.-Monza-September 8th 1991

With Scumacher leaving to drive for Benetton and Gachot still in jail,Moreno was hauled in to drive No 32.He outqualified Andrea who was 14th on the grid.Andrea had his 6th place "nicked" from him by Piquet in the last few laps.The events of the past few weeks had not only effected de Cesaris,but the team as whole.They seemed from this point of the season to have "lost" their way.

Portugese G.P.-Estoril-September 22nd 1991

14th on the grid for Andrea,Moreno 15th.De Cesaris had tyre trouble thoughout the race and was forced to make two pit stops,and this undoubtably cost him points,as it was he came respectfull 8th.

Forza Andrea,

#216 andrea

andrea

• 600 posts

Posted 29 January 2003 - 09:14

Spanish G.P.-Barcelona-September 29th 1991

Alesandro Zanardi came in to replace Roberto Moreno,and qualified 20th,whilst Andrea was 17th.Both drivers had handling problems and in the race de Cesaris was up to 8th,but on lap 22 retired with failed electrics.

Japanese G.P.-Suzuka-October 20th 1991

11th for Andrea and 13th for Zanardi for this race.On lap 1 at the dreaded Suzuka chicane Wendlinger,Pirro, Lehto and Andrea were in bunch,Andrea got onto the "marbles" spun and all four cars collided.

Australian G.P.-Adelaide-November 3rd 1991

Andrea qualified 12th,and drove a steady race,playing a waiting game behind the charging front runners in the most horrendous conditions,heavy constant rain,cars,and parts of the cars all over the circuit,marshalls vans all over the straight.The race was stopped on lap 14,the shortest G.P. in history,and Andrea was classified 8th,if the race had gone on another lap he would have been classified 4th.Whilst some of the mega-money superstars were complaining about the conditions and threatening to refuse to line-up for the proposed restart,Andrea quietly lined up in his grid position ready,and willing to race,but the race was no-restarted.

Thus ended the Team 7UP Jordan-Ford first season in F1,fifth in the Constructors Championship with 13 points.Andrea finished 9th in the Drivers Championship,with 9 World Championship points.

Forza Andrea,

#217 andrea

andrea

• 600 posts

Posted 03 February 2003 - 11:52

This is Andrea's 1992 year with Tyrrell-race by race.

On the 14th February it was announced that Andrea had signed for Tyrrell replacing the nominated driver,Zanardi.Ken Tyrrell stated:"Andrea will bring valuable experience to the team.He has shown startling speed thoughout his career,and last year matched that with consistancy which put him in a position to win the Belgian GP."
Two weeks before Kyalami Andrea tested the Elf Tyrrell 020B powered by the V10 Ilmor 2175 A engine at Silverstone and paul Ricard and expressed delight with handling of the car,and Ken Tyrrell said:"I was very pleased with Andrea's feedback,very pleased indeed.I was quite surprised really."

Forza Andrea

#218 andrea

andrea

• 600 posts

Posted 11 February 2003 - 09:18

SOUTH AFRICAN GRAND PRIX-KYALAMI-March 1st 1992

Friday,28th February-First Qualifying Session

Andrea was 7th fastest with a 1.18.554 with the 020B/9 chassis."This is a great start for us,"said Andrea."We made some modifications to the car since the test at Paul Ricard and the car has gone better for them.Since we arrived here we have made more changes and have been going in the right direction all the time.The car is very responsive to set-up changes and I think we have found the way to go with this car.I did two very fast laps and found some space on the circuit.The only small problem we have had was with the fuel pump."

Saturday,29th February-Final Qualifying Session

Andrea qualified 10th.Team manager Rupert Manwaring said:"Andrea had an engine fire this morning in his spare car (chassis 020B/7) and developed an engine problem in the afternoon session."Andrea said:"My grid time comes from my time of Friday and I could have improved my position,but that's the way it goes."

Sunday,1st March-The Race

On lap 1 Brundle spun,causing Andrea to drive into the sand trap and was lucky to get out,but was 20th.In the next 20 laps he passed Morbidelli-Hakkinen-Gachot-Grouillard-Fittipaldi-Tarquini-Alboreto-Suzuki and was now lying 9th.Andrea said:"About three laps before I retired I overtook Boutsen,missed a gear,and as he got me back we touched.After that I came into the pits because the engine was misfiring and that was that.I was pleasewd with the way things were going before I retired,because I was gaining on the cars in front and could have made up three or four places.maybe more.The balance of the car was lovely with a little understeer as it got light on fuel."Manwaring stated:"Andrea's enthusiasm has won everyone over."A good start for de Cesaris with his new team,very encouraging for the future,if he had not had the problem at the start with Brundle and a missfiring engine he would have been in the points.

Forza Andrea,

#219 mp4

mp4

• 584 posts

Posted 11 February 2003 - 23:55

Detroit '87...
We had a great spot to watch things during qualifying. It was just after the chicane near the start line.
Lap after lap, Andrea was the most consistent and smoothest driver.
Even Ayrton and Alain looked sloppy here.
It's too bad his car pooped out, in the race, as he was amazing to watch.

Advertisement

#220 marglar

marglar

• 106 posts

Posted 12 February 2003 - 04:43

:up:

Keep on posting andrea! I really enjoyed reading the race-by-race of his fabulous 1991 season, it brought back alot of good memories. I for one would like to read any comments he may have made about his retirement from the sport or his long career.

#221 andrea

andrea

• 600 posts

Posted 13 February 2003 - 08:58

MEXICAN GRAND PRIX-MEXICO CITY-March 22nd 1992

Friday,20th March-First Qualifying Session

Andrea qualified 6th with 1.19.423 and his team mate Grouillard was 17th on 1.20.709.

Saturday,21st March-Final Qualifying Session

On Saturday Andrea's Ilmor was changed after losing oil pressure at the end of the free-practice,but within 2 laps of official practice the replacement broke and his stint in Grouillard's race car revealed that it to be plagued by lack of fuel pressure.Andrea said:"I'm disappointed that I couldn't hold onto sixth place on the grid because I know the car was capable of it."

Sunday,22nd March-The Race

Andrea said of the race,when he started from 11th place:"The start was one of the best I have done in my life.I made up a whole lot of places,but Herbert spun right in front of me.I had a McLaren (Berger) on my right so I had to go onto the grass and lost a lot of places.After that I overtook everyone up to fifth,except Brundle.The car was very quick but with 25 laps to go I had to back off and pray,because my oil and fuel pressure were both low.When I crossed the line it was fantastic."Fifth place,Andrea and Tyrrell's first points of 1992.
Tyrrell Team Manager,Rupert Mainwaring paid tribute to Andrea by saying:"He drove an intelligent race.His speed was incredable for the first 30 laps and after that he looked after the car and got it to the finish."

Forza Andrea,

#222 andrea

andrea

• 600 posts

Posted 14 February 2003 - 09:49

This an article from Australian magazine "Formula One" about de Cesaris' drive in Mexican GP:

Andrea in Moda

Andrea de Cesaris headed off to Barbados for ten days windsurfing happy in the knowledge that he'd driven a good race in Mexico.His rise through the order after a first lap incident had been meteoric,and although it was unlikely that he would have picked up another place,he had to ease up in the final stages to avoid blowing his engine.
He started eleventh on the grid,but it should have been higher.He was a fine sixth after his first day,but then both he and teammate Grouillard had mechanical problems on day two.Andrea had two engines failures,one in the morning and one in the afternoon,and when he tried Olivier's car,that continued to suffer fuel pressure problem.
Andrea reckoned that he'd made one of the best starts he ever made in his 167 race long career."I made up a whole lot of places,but then Herbert spun in front of me at the first corner,and I had a McLaren on the right and grass on the left.I went onto the grass to avoid Herbert and lost a lot of places."
Indeed,he was down to 17th place at the end of lap one,but then came the charge.Overtaking Comas,Alboreto,Morbidelli and Gachot on successive laps took him up to 12th by lap five where he stayed for a three laps before picking of Tarquini,Martini before another three laps rest when overtaking Lehto and Senna's retirement saw him eight.He overtook Hakkinen on lap 27 and Alesi on lap 30 which put him sixth,and Brundle's retirement promoted him to fifth.
"With 25 laps to go,I had to back off and pray,because my oil and fuel pressure were both low,"explained Andrea afterwards."I didn't think I was going to finish,but when I crossed the line it was fantastic."
people blow hot and cold about Andrea.Some say he's just taken a very long time to mature,but last year and this have proved that he's one of the most attacking drivers in the business.Others say that he never was much good,and just has the benefit ogf good cars...

Forza Andrea,

#223 andrea

andrea

• 600 posts

Posted 17 February 2003 - 11:43

BRAZILIAN GRAND PRIX-SAO PAOLO-April 5th 1992

Friday,3rd April-First Qualifying Session

After a very promising start,Andrea was 3rd fastest in the untimed practice in the morning,and after the first official practice he was 7th on the grid.Andrea driving chassis No 020B/9 made changes to the front suspension settings after his first run,early in the session.On his second set of tires he encountered a lot of traffic and then spun on his fast lap."This morning was really good,but I had a small fuel leak and got some fuel on my back and had to change my overhalls"said de Cesaris."When the race car was repaired,it was really quick.This afternoon the track seemed more slippery and there was a lot of traffic.I spun,my fault,and after that my tires weren't too good."He was on 1.19.343.

Saturday,4th April-Final Qualifying Session

Andrea tested race set-up in the morning session,in the afternoon session he suffered a fuel system problem in his race car and with Grouillard at the wheel of the spare car had to wait until the end of the session before taking over the car.On his final flying lap he had to brake hard because an ambulance was on the track going to the Mansell-Senna shunt."After yesterday things looked pretty good"said Andrea."And obviously today has been difficult,but we know the car is quick in the races,so watch out for No4.I'm not going to be sitting around in the 13th position all afternoon."De Cesaris qualified 13th on 1.19.497.

Sunday,5th April-The Race

Andrea made a good start and was 11th at the end of the first lap.He chased after Capelli's Ferrari and passed him on lap 13.He moved to 9th when Senna retired and then took Boutsen (Ligier) on lap 20 to get to 8th.He retired on lap 22 with an electrical problem.He said:"The car felt very good although it was difficult when I was running close behind others early on, but once I was past Boutsen I thought things were goinig really well.Unfortunately it didn't last long,because the car just stopped."

Forza Andrea,

#224 andrea

andrea

• 600 posts

Posted 20 February 2003 - 09:42

SPANISH GRAND PRIX-BARCELONA-May 3rd 1992

Friday,May 1st-First Qualifying Session

Andrea's worse result sofar this season.After an encouraging 6th fastest in the unofficial morning session,Andrea spun twice in his race car (chassis 020B/9) in the afternoon,he switched to the spare (chassis 020B/6) which was set up for Grouillard,with 20 minutes to go.He set his fastest time 1.23.723 on his 8th lap.He said:"It was frustrating because i knew i could have been quicker but trying to find a gap in the traffic was impossible.much worse than usual,it seems to me some drivers are getting out of the way when they see a McLaren or a Benetton coming on a quick one,but don't move for a Tyrrell.It's very frustrating."

Saturday,May 2nd-Final Qualifying Session

Andrea was 6th and Olivier 9th fastest at the end of the rain drenched final session,however their grid positions come from Friday's dry qualifying session.Andrea said:"The times are not really representative because not everybody ran this afternoon and I was not pushing the car so hard.I spent a lot of this afternoon working on getting rid of a "porposing" effect on the front of the car.I think we have solved that but we will only know in the morning.Otherwise the car is good for a wet race.'

Sunday,May 3rd-The Race

Andrea retired after the first lap,and team-mate Grouillard spun out on lap 31."I seem to have had a few dramatic first laps this year"said Andrea."I went into first at the red light,and couldn't hold the car because something was wrong with the clutch,so I had to hit the brakes.That cost me several places straight off the grid.I got a few back but was pushing too hard for the conditions and had a big moment at the Seat Corner.I caught the slide but went wide and lost ground again.The oil pressure had started to drop so the only I could do was return to the pits.What a day!"Team manager Rupert Manwaring said:"Not one of our best weekends."

Forza Andrea,

#225 andrea

andrea

• 600 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 11:59

SAN MARINO GRAND PRIX-IMOLA-May 17th 1992

Friday,May 15th-First Qualifying Session

On Friday Andrea was 12th quickest in the afternoon having failed to get the cars set-up quite as he would have liked it."The car wasn't handling as well as it usually does" said de Cesaris."I seemed to be having understeer and oversteer problems and lacking traction out of the slow corners.I'm not sure why.I did 1.25.8 on my first set of tires and then put more downforce all round and went two tenths quicker on my first quick lap on my second set.The power is there,we just need to put it on the road more."Team manager said:"Andrea had no mechanical problems this afternoon,so we can concentrate on tweaking the set-up tonight."

Saturday,May 16th-Final Qualifying Session

Andrea said:"We found a good race set-up this morning in the spare car (020B/6) on full tanks and we are in good shape for the race.This afternoon both cars seemed down on top speed by about seven to eight kilometres an hour,I'm not sure why.I cann't say much about the handling today because except that I modified the set-up for the front and I'm not sure it was the right way to go."Mario Ilien of Ilmor said:"The speed we had in Andrea's car yesterday seems to have disappeared on both his cars.Obviously we need to find a cure before tomorrows race."Andrea dropped to 14th on the final grid positions.

Sunday,May 17th-The Race

Andrea finished 14th,and last,after getting up to 8th only a few laps from the finish.He said:"I made a good start.The car was quick on the straights but was understeering more than I would have liked so I was lowering the front to get more grip.The sudden lose of fuel pressure,and the clutch going,meant I couldn't reach the finish."The overheating problems with the Ilmor appears to be solved,but the low fuel pressure problems seem to be still there.

Forza Andrea,

#226 andrea

andrea

• 600 posts

Posted 28 February 2003 - 09:17

MONACO GRAND PRIX-MONTE CARLO-May 31st 1992

Thursday,May 28th-First Qualifying Session

Andrea was 7th fastest using chassis No 020B/9.He said:”I expect I’m saying the same as everybody else.I set a good time on my third lap,early in the session when everybody elseappeared to be coming in,and then it was a question of finding a clear lap during the rest of the session.I went out towards the end of the session but a number of cars was just crazy.On my second set of tires I came up behind Modena on a fast lap,he saw me and accelerated away but then caught up with him hebaulked me at Loews and then he did it again a few minutes later!I couldn’t beleive it.Basicaly that cost me my second set.Then I clouted a kerb at Rascasse and broke a wheel rim.”Rupert Mainwaring said:”We tried a new front wing at a test session at Paul Ricard on Tuesday and both drivers feel that it is an improvement on its predecessor,plus we are using a new Elf qualifying fuel here.”

Saturday,May 30th-Final Qualifying Session

Andrea finally qualified 10th.He said:”I could have been at least 0,5 seconds quicker today if I had a completaly clear lap on my third run and that would have put me 7th.Unfortunatelly I had Chiesa in my way coming out of the Swimming Pool.Traffic!Its always the same at Monaco.I’m optimistic for the race because we have a well balanced car but to be in the points here you need some luck and being there at the finish.”

Sunday,May 31st-The Race

Yet again Andrea’s luck wasn’t with him.He said:”I madea good start but so did Herbert (9th) and I slotted in behind him at the first bend.This is very,very long race so I was playing a waiting game looking for a way around Herebert when the gearbox went coming out of the Tunnel after 9 laps.”

Forza Andrea,

#227 andrea

andrea

• 600 posts

Posted 03 March 2003 - 09:42

CANADIAN GRAND PRIX-MONTREAL-June 14 th 1992

Friday,June 12th-Final Qualifying Session

Andrea,driving chassis No 020B/9,qualified 13 th andGrouillard 20th,both having problems finding sufficient griop on dusty circuit.He said:”The problem here is that the times are so close that a couple of tenths either way and you are either in the top 10 or the late teens.The car is good but the balance is not so perfect and we need more grip but we are still learning about the new front suspension.I’m sliding a little more but that has always been a problem here;I did a 1.23m and found another half second when we adjusted the set-up,but I don’t think I could have gone faster today.”Mainwaring said:” Both race cars are fitted with the new front suspension and are using the revised front wing design we used in Monaco.”

Saturday,June 13th-Final Qualifying Session

It rained overnight,but the track did dry out for the final session.Andrea qualified 14th and Grouillard was last-26th.Andrea said:”The conditions were deceptive this morning and made us think we had found a better set-up and I think the afternoon we discovered that was not the right way to go.From our work this morning the car will be more competitive in the race.”

Sunday,June 14th-The Race

Andrea finished in the points,5th.The best Tyrrerll performance this season.Andrea reported:”This was a great race,the car wasn’t perfect at the start but it got better and better as the race went on.Montreal has always been good to me.I was 3rd here in the Alfa in 1982,then ran out of fuel,then with Rial I was 4th and had a fuel problem again,and last year I scored the first points for Jordan.Here I took it to the very limit again because the brakes went completely 10 laps from the end and I was braking with the engine...and it developed a misfire on the very last lap!This was a tough race from the beginning to the end I had to hold Comas behind me at one stage then push to pull away from him while he was fighting with Alboreto and finally I pushed again as I started to chase Katayama and Wendlinger.”

Forza Andrea,

#228 andrea

andrea

• 600 posts

Posted 10 March 2003 - 20:50

FRENCH GRAND PRIX-MAGNY COURS-July 5th 1992

Friday,July 3rd 1992-First Qualifying Session

Horror of horrors,Andrea 27th,a provisional non-qualifyer.Andrea said:”I was not getting enough grip.The car is understeering and oversteering.The power is as good as ever but we need to sort out this grip problem-mostley in the low speed corners.”Team manager Rupert Mainwaring said:”The car is good through the fast parts of the circuit but we are losing time on the slower sections with a handling problem.”

Saturday,July 4th 1992-Final Qualifyinf Session

Andrea said:”The priopity for me was to make sure that I get into the race.I woke in the morning,saw the clouds and was worried that I would not get the chance to improve on my time if it rained.We made a lot of progress with the set-up,the handling has improved through the slow sections,but we are not right through the chicane and Lycee,it is all better,but not as good as it could be.”Andrea qualified 19th on 1.17.867.

Sunday,July 5th 1992-The Race

You will re-call this race was stopped due to rain and restarted.Andrea said:”I lost a lot of time on the first lap going wide of Schumacher’s accident with Senna.Thehandling was not perfect in the first race so I put on some more wing for the restart.My restart was not good but the car felt a lot better with the changed settings and my lap times were much better until the rain restarted.I madea lot of ground in the early laps of the second part of the race-which I lost when I stayed out on slicks because the rain was heavier now than when the race was stoped in the first place,so I was convinced they would stop the race again.They didn’t stop the race and I got caught out at Adelaide when I put the power down and went into the sand trap.”

Forza Andrea,

#229 interexcel104

interexcel104

• 8 posts

Posted 11 March 2003 - 11:56

Kyalami, Friday morning before the 1993 SAGP and I'm watching from the stands at turn three, the fast lefthander after the righthand Total sweep after the pits and before the sharpish Nashua lefthander where the "new" circuit joins the old track. It's the first full practice session of the new season and I have many questions that need answering:

Will the new Ferrari's be quick? Not by the looks of it - the F93's are looking decidedly skittish as they do the right/left jink at Total and enter the swooping uphill lefthander leading to Nashua. This in contrast to the Williams and McLarens cutting through the succession of bends in smooth, unruffled arcs.

And how are new boys Sauber faring? Very impressively, not only with on-track speed but also an immaculate turn-out with their mechanics sporting white cloth gloves.

And as the next question entered my mind - who will be the first driver of the session/season to spin off - Andrea, trying as hard as ever, arrived at the lefthander where I was seated, lost the back end and launched himself over the outer kerb, backwards into the kitty litter. The enduring memory that I will cherish from this little episode, is the fact that as the car was briefly airborne, Andreahad already popped it into neutral and was blipping the throttle furiously to avoid the Yamaha engine stalling. I cannot recall if, after the dust had settled, Andrea managed to regain the track unaided, but it somehow seemed appropriate that he should be the first driver of the new season (as far as I know) to have an "off".

As for his technique to keep the engine running during an off-track excursion, I was deeply impressed. Here we had a man who had developed years of hard-won experience into a fine art.

(P.S : Should anyone construe my story as sarcasm or an attempt to make fun of Andrea, this is not the case : I always admired his enthusiasm and raw speed throughout his career)

#230 Japan Time

Japan Time

• 232 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 07:54

A small present for you (Mexico 1991) - this car was really soooo good-looking !!! :love:

Posted Image http://www.ifrance.com/F1GT/images/GP/IMGP506b.jpg

#231 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 16:15

Originally posted by Japan Time
A small present for you (Mexico 1991) - this car was really soooo good-looking !!! :love:

I suppose that's Monaco!???

#232 andrea

andrea

• 600 posts

Posted 13 March 2003 - 09:16

BRITISH GRAND PRIX-SILVERSTONE-July 12th 1992

Friday,July 10th 1992-First Qualifyinf Session

Andrea qualified 18th with 1.24.928 with chassis No 020B/09 with Grouillard 20th.He said:”I was etruggling to find grip and get a clear lap.I did a few laps and then the rears went off before I had chance to set a good time.”Rupert Mainwaring said:”The first half of the session went quite well but we didn’t go quicker after that.We are having trouble making the most of our new tyres.”

Saturday,July 11th 1992-Final Qualifying Session

Despite a productive qualifying session in the wet Andrea started 18th.He said:”It appears that the rain of the world is following us around this year.I did a couple laps in the T-car (020B/03) in race set up then I spent most of the remainder of the session in my race car.We refined the set up at the end but didn’t get a proper chance to try it out because the rear light went and we had to spend time fixing that.”

Sunday,July 12th 1992-The Race

Andrea said:”I started well and took four cars on the first lap and the car felt really good for the first two or three laps,with just the right amount of understeer.After about 20 laps Modena’s Jordan hit me in the back,and one of the wing plates ripped open arear tyre approiching copse and I wasted a lot of time getting back to the pits hobbling around on three wheels.The handling was never the same again and I think the rear suspension must have been bent.I fought it for a long time but I eventually spun at Luffield and that was that.”

Forza Andrea,

#233 Japan Time

Japan Time

• 232 posts

Posted 14 March 2003 - 02:13

Well, Fines, I cannot assume it is not Monaco - yet the photo I got was registered
as Mexican GP. It is however difficult to make the difference between Monaco and
Mexico Jordan 191 - since they are exactly the same (even sponsors' decals, that
changed quite a lot throughout the rest of the season) !

Such apparently bad status of the track (white marking or quick road repair ?) could
actually be found in Mexico as well as in the Principauté after all !  ;)

I have other cool pics for all of you:

Posted Image
MONACO - http://f1olivier.ifr.....esaris mo.jpg

Posted Image
MEXICO - http://f1olivier.ifr.....saris mex.jpg

#234 theunions

theunions

• 638 posts

Posted 14 March 2003 - 02:19

I challenge any of you to find me a photo of Andrea hanggliding, surfing and/or karting here in Hawaii, as he has reportedly done in recent years...or even an article confirming the above. :)

#235 rdrcr

rdrcr

• 2,697 posts

Posted 14 March 2003 - 03:27

A windsurfing event he was in:

Blue Planet Diamond Head Pro-Am Challenge

From GrandPrix.com

"Now 42, de Cesaris spends half the year working as a currency trader and the other six months windsurfing all over the world. De Cesaris says that the best windsurfing is in Hawaii but has recently returned from Mexico - hence the unusual facial hair."

...so what do I win? ...a round trip for 2 to Maui? :p

#236 theunions

theunions

• 638 posts

Posted 14 March 2003 - 06:45

Originally posted by rdrcr
A windsurfing event he was in:

Blue Planet Diamond Head Pro-Am Challenge

From GrandPrix.com

"Now 42, de Cesaris spends half the year working as a currency trader and the other six months windsurfing all over the world. De Cesaris says that the best windsurfing is in Hawaii but has recently returned from Mexico - hence the unusual facial hair."

...so what do I win? ...a round trip for 2 to Maui? :p

Well...considering I've only been to Maui once in my entire life (and that was just 4 months ago)...you'll have to settle for an action photo the next time Andrea resurfaces publically here.;)

I had seen the quote before but not the Neil Pryce Kailua Cup (which doesn't seem to have been held the past two years - could find no reference to it in the dailies) results.

#237 andrea

andrea

• 600 posts

Posted 18 March 2003 - 18:05

GERMAN GRAND PRIX-HOCKENHEIMRING-July 26th 1992

Friday,July 24th 1992-First Qualifying Session

It all looked very encouraging for Andrea and the team when he ended up 12th with a 1.43.790.Andrea said:”I could have gonequicker but for the vibration problem with the brakes at the two chicanes which is making me lose the apex,we hope to be faster tomorow.”

Saturday,July 25th 1992-Final Qualifying Session

Andrea said:”The car set up very well and quick this morning so I was optimistic for the race,but life would have been a lot easier tomorrow if I had qualified higher up the grid.I didn’t get the chance to do a quick lap in the afternoon session.Right at the start my race car had a misfire from the engine which we couldn’t cure.I wanted to wait for it to be cured because the car felt so good in the morning,but after 30 minutes I went out in the spare and it had an engine problem shortly after I did a 1.44.5.I tried another quick lap with the spare but it was still misfiring so that was that.”Andrea dropped to a disappointing 20th.

Sunday,July 26th 1992-The Race

Although starting well back on the grid it didn’t stop Andrea giving his usual 100%.He said of the race:”I made up a couple of places on the first two laps and the car generally felt good until I spun on lap 13.I was flat in fourth after the second chicane when I put a wheel onto the grass.I spun SIX times but only lost 9 seconds!The tyres were wrecked and I thought I had damaged the undertray so I made a pit stop the next time round.After that I was chasing really hard looking for places until the engine went on lap 25.”
Rupert Mainwaring summeed up the GP by saying:”We have all worked hard with little result,unfortunately.The lads did a very good pit stop for Andrea in the race we didn’t get the results we wanted,and deserved,but there is a definite progress yet again with our understanding of the set up with the front ride height compensator which should pay dividends in Hungary.”

Forza Andrea,

#238 andrea

andrea

• 600 posts

Posted 23 March 2003 - 22:18

HUNGARIAN GRAND PRIX-HUNGARORING-August 16th 1992

Friday,August 14th-First Qualifying Session

Andrea was 15th,and Olivier was 22nd at the end of the first qualifying session.Andrea said:”I didn’t go out right at the start of the session because I wanted to wait for my race car’s engine change as the handling was better than the spare (020B/3).The tyres aren’t lasting long and I only managed to reduce the understeer problem but this lost me a lot of rear end grip.To go quicker tomorow I need all round grip and to reduce the understeer even more,but I’m confident we can do that.”
In this session de Cesaris spun into the barrier after Mansell braked very hard in front of him.He said of the incident:”I can’t beleive what Nigel did this morning!I came up behind him approaching the final corner before the pits.He braked very hard suddenly.In trying to avoid him I spun and hit the barrier.There seemed absolutely no reason for him to brake like that.”Tyrrell team protested to the race stewards over this incident,but no action was taken against Mansell.

Saturday,August 15th-Final Qualifying Session

Andrea qualified 19th with 1.19.877 in chassis 020B/5.He said:”The ride height problems we had this morning set us back a bit.This afternoon was basically down to finding space in the traffic when the car was going well.I only got two real chances and on the best lap I went wide on the corner before the T2 chicane to avoid oil on the track and I picked up so much dirt I was forced wide again at the next bend.Team manager Mainwaring said:”This morning was somewhat spoilt beacause the active was malfunctioning and it wasn’t discovered until the end of the session which meant all the set upwork was incorrect.”

Sunday,August 16th-The Race

Andrea finished 8th and said:”I had a good start but it was a very frustrating race for me.I was going absolutely crazy trying to get past Gugelmin.I don’t understand why he was driving like that.He was two seconds a lap slower than me and he just wouldn’t let pass.I triedabsolutely everything and was even forced off twice.The car oversteer at the start but got better and better as the race went on,”Rupert Mainwaring said of the race:”Andrea made a fantastic start and passed 6 cars on the first lap.He took along time to get past Gugelmin but once he did he was really flying and finished in 8th place,just 7 seconds behind Alboreto.”

Forza Andrea,

#239 andrea

andrea

• 600 posts

Posted 27 March 2003 - 12:13

BELGIUM GRAND PRIX-SPA FRANCOSHAMPS-August 30th 1992

Friday,August 28th-First Qualifying Session

Andrea qualified13th and Grouillard 22nd.Andrea did 1.50.111 after blistering his first set of tyres.He said:”On my second set Senna held me up at Eau Rouge on my quick lap so I didn’t improve and spent the rest of the afternoon working on the front ride height control.”

Saturday,August 29th-Final Qualifying Session

It rained,rained and rained some more in the morning session and de Cesaris was second fastest in the rain behind pole man Mansell.In the afternoon no one improved on their times.Andrea said:”There are some things we know about already that will makes us quicker tomorrow.”In the Tyrrell motorhome Andrea told he wasn’t using the traction control on his car because it is too new and Olivier was using it.

Sunday,August 30th-The Race

After the warm up Andrea told he was very optimistic that he would be in the points,he only needed about four others in front to drop out.Andrea finished 8th and Olivier went out on lap 2 after coming together with Modena,and then stalling.Andrea said:”I’m pretty pleased with the way things went today,we got the set up close to perfect bearing in mind nothing can be exactly right all the time in such changeable conditions.I stayed out late for the first tyre stop because I thought it might be worth taking a gamble which could have got us into the points-but in the end it didn’t pay off.Senna tried the same gamble as we did and I lost time when I was stuck behind him for 10 to 15 laps after he came out of the pits in front of me on wets.I was quicker than him,then I overtook him,he overtook me,we touched,the he started to pull away.”Rupert Mainwaring said:”Andrea drove a good race.We got his second stop (for slicks) just about exactly right and the only problem complained of was understeer.”

Forza Andrea,

Advertisement

#240 andrea

andrea

• 600 posts

Posted 07 April 2003 - 22:43

ITALIAN GRAND PRIX-MONZA-September 13th 1992

Friday, September 11th -First Qualifying Session

Despite suffering from ‘flu Andrea qualified a very commendible 15th under the circumstances.Andrea said:”The car was good this morning (chassis No 020B/5) but the track changed a lot in the afternoon.The tyres worked differently and I didn’t get the same grip.The car was sliding all over the place.”

Saturday, September 12th -Final Qualifying Session

Very disappointing for Andrea,his engine blew in the afternoon qualifying sending him back to 21st on the grid.Lorenz Heer of Ilmor commented:”We don’t know the problem yet,so we have a bit of work to do to find out.”Andrea,still suffering from the ‘flu said:”There was nothing much to report with the first set of tyres in the afternoon.It was slightly quicker (the track) than Friday.With the second set Boutsen got in my way on my quickest lap and than I had to back off for a bit to find a gap.The engine blew as I set off for one last run.”He was 21st on 1.25.425.

Sunday,September 13th-The Race

Andrea finished sixth to score a point at his “home” Grand Prix for the first time in his career.A delighted Andrea said:”I’m really pleased to have got point at “home”-it has been one of my ambitions for a long time.I was so far back on the grid,I knew I had to take big risks at the start.I overtook six cars in the first few laps and after that the car was good and I picked up places as I could.It’s great result.”Team Manager Mainwaring said:”This was agreat result for the whole team.Andrea drove an aggresive and intelligent race.It’s areally a fantastic result.”

Forza Andrea,

#241 deangelis86

deangelis86

• 365 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 05:50

Just out of interest, I notice that De Cesaris was mentioned in this months copy of Motor Sports '101 Things That Made F1 Great' :up:

#242 The Fazz

The Fazz

• 963 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 07:16

One could write a book just on this race.Gachot in prison for the notorius CS gas incident-Schumacher taking his place and out qualifying Andrea. Schumacher lasted about half a mile whilst Andrea got the hammer down and drove the race of his life,carving through the field.On lap 32 Andrea was only 2 seconds behind Senna who was leading the race,in fact at Radillion he nearly got alongside Senna.In the Jordan pits,they were excited,but also a touch resigned.On the radio de Cesaris told them his water temperature was climbing into the red,and they told him "to go for it",which he did.His engine then gave up the fight on lap 41.Eight years ago Andrea led this race in the Alfa Romeo,but the car was right on the edge,on this day he was faultless.He deserved to win,not just a rostrum place.It just a 20p hose clip allowing water to leak out thoughout the race.

Not too shabby. Probably woke up to the 191's potential when Schumi outqualified him. The 191 was a pretty good car.

De Cesaris :up: good fun.

#243 Maldwyn

Maldwyn

• 1,486 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 08:13

"I want a word with you." :drunk:

Posted Image

#244 andrea

andrea

• 600 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 22:58

Maldwyn,i know this picture,I think it is from German GP 1983 (Andrea was second there).

Forza Andrea,

#245 deangelis86

deangelis86

• 365 posts

Posted 09 April 2003 - 05:51

Hehee, that's a great picture Mikey and brings back memories!

Autocourse, 1983: '...and Riccardo had hardly returned to the pits where he found a thoroughly overexcited Italian waiting to beat him over the head with a spanner...' :rotfl:

No wonder then that Riccardo and Andrea were not exactly bosom-buddies at Brabham in 1987! :smoking:

#246 andrea

andrea

• 600 posts

Posted 10 April 2003 - 09:02

PORTUGESE GRAND PRIX-ESTORIL-September 27th 1992

Friday,September 25th-First Qualifying Session

Andrea set the 12th fastest time in the final 10 min. of qualifying and Olivier was provisionally 25th.Andrea said:”I could have been another half a second quicker but I found it impossible to do a really good lap.My best lap was spoilt by two cars leaving the pit lane which forced me to lift off.The lap after that was spoilt by March in the middle of the track-the second time it had happened in that same place.As far as the set-up is concerned I need more grip and I’ve got too much understeer.”

Saturday,September 26th-Final Qualifying Session

De Cesaris finslly qualified 12th,and Grouillard 15th for the race.Andrea said:”The spare (020B/3) and my race car (020B/11) were on different set-up’s but both had a new front wing.I started in my race car but preferred the spare so I stuck with that for the rest of the session.My basic problemwas balance,so I couldn’t push to the limit.With the rain in the morning I didn’t do enough race set-up running so I needed to do a bit of work on that tomorrow.”

Sunday,September 27th-TheRace

Andrea finished 9th and Olivier retired on lap 27.De Cesaris said of the race:”I got agreat start and passed three cars on the first lap.The car felt good and things were going well until there was a problem with the battery for the active ride height system and I had to operate it manually.Without it I was losing nearly a second a lap.The mechanics made a fantastic pit stop and I was running comfortably in 7th when I picked up apuncture,so I had to make second tyre stop.On new tyres the balance got better,but I had lost so much time,if I hadn’t we would have been in the points again today.”

Forza Andrea,

#247 andrea

andrea

• 600 posts

Posted 17 April 2003 - 12:24

JAPANESE GRAND PRIX-SUZUKA-October 25th 1992

Friday,October 23rd-First Qualifying Session

Andrea was provisionaly 9th,and Olivier 21st after the first session.Andrea said:”I did the 42.3 on my second quick lap on my first set of tyres.For some reason the second set were not as quick so I changed back close to the end but by then the best had gone out of them.The active ride is good here but I’m still finding the car a little difficult when pushing right at the limit.The times were-Andrea 1.42.361 (chassis No 020B/11) and Grouillard 1.43.941 (chassis No 020B/7).

Saturday,October 24th-Final Qualifying Session

Heavy rain in the afternoon prevented everyone improve on Friday times,in fact the session was cut short due to density of the rain and the track conditions.Andrea said:”I tested on T-car (chassis No 020B/3) but it cut out halfway around the first lap in the morning.I did six laps in the afternoon but the conditions were so bad it was not possible to do more.It was just awful everywhere,one puddle from start to finish.”

Sunday,October 25th-The Race

Andrea finished 4th,his highest placing this year.Grouillard spun of on lap six.A very delighted Andrea said:”I had a great race and a good battle with Comas.After the tyre stop I was conserving the tyres and the engine an as the race went on I was in much better condition than him (Comas).He was holding me up by maybe 2 sec. a lap,I couldn’t find the right place to get pass after several laps of trying so I waited for him to make mistake.Eventually he made it out of the chicane and I got him at the end of the main straight.Morbidelli held me up later on because he thought he was on the same lap as me.The only real problem I had was from halfway through the race the clutch wouldn’t disengage in the hairpin and the chicane.But the biggest problem was when Mansell’s engine blew,I don’t know what he was doing because the oil wasn’t just on one corner-there were five corners covered in oil.”
Everyone at Tyrrell were delighted with the result,especially as their main sponsores,Calbee and Club Angle are Japanese,so a good result can only bode well for the team.

Forza Andrea,

#248 andrea

andrea

• 600 posts

Posted 22 April 2003 - 12:52

AUSTRALIAN GRAND PRIX-ADELAIDE-NOVEMBER 08 th

Friday,November 6th-First Qualifing Session

The team was very optimistic after Andrea fourth place in Japan and did the business to take 7th place on the grid with 1.16.997 with chassis 020B/11.Olivier was 13th.Andrea said:"I’m very pleased with my time.A near perfect.On my second set of tyres I had to lift tweice for yellow flags."

Saturday,November 7th-Final Qualifying Session

The track temperatured changed and Andrea was nearly a second slower,but so was everyone else,and he retained his 7th place.Andrea said:"I concetraded on race set-up,the traction control and ride height are working well here.I’m optimistic for the race tomorrow."

Sunday,November 8th-The Race

Olivier retired on the first lap after an accident with Herbert,de Cesaris retired on lap 29 when aninjector on the engine blew spraying fuel onto the engine causing it to catch fire.He said:"I got a good start and was running near the front,but couldn’t hold Brundle behind me.Then I had a good fight with Hakkinen..But the race only lasted until I lost fuel pressure and the engine died,it was a shame the car started to fel stronger and find extra grip with every lap."

Forza Andrea,

#249 andrea

andrea

• 600 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 10:40

This is an article about de Cesaris from F1 News from 1992

Andrea de Cesaris -Helmet Off

Personal Life

Full Name:
Andrea de Cesaris
Birtdate:
31st May 1959
Star Sign:
Gemini
Birthplace:
Rome,Italy
Height:
1.69m (5’7")
Weight:
11st (70kg)
Colour of Eyes:
Brown
Are you Left or Right handed?
Left
Nickname:
Are you serious?
Family:
I am married to Annabel,with no children.

Early Life

Did you enjoy school?
Yes,very much.
What were your best subjects?
Mathematics and Science.
What was your first job?
Racing Driver.
Who or what was your first love?
My motocross bike.
What was your first car?
Alfa Romeo GTV.
When did you first become interested in motor racing?
When I was 12 years old.

Home Life

Where is your present home?
I live in Monte Carlo.
Do you have any pets?
A German Shepherd dog called "Brook".
What do you do to relax?
Winsurfing and sport in general.
What is your most treasured possession?
My Skis and Windsurfer.
What is your everyday road car?
Fiat Tempra Stationwagon.
Do you have any phobias?
I have no phobias.

Likes&Dislikes

What makes you laugh?
Comic Pictures.
What makes you really angry?
People that lie to me.
What is your favourite music?
Pop.
Is there any type of music you hate?
Noisy Music.
What food do you like most/
Pasta.
Is there any food you dislike?
The interiors of animals.(Offal)
What is your favourite film?
Spielberg adventure films.
Who is your favourite actor/actress?
Sean Connery.
What is your favourite colour?
Blue.

Professional Life

Who has been the biggest influence on your career?
My Father.
Who do you think is the greatest ever racing driver?
Niki Lauda.
Which is your favourite race track?
I like all of them,but Spa the most.
Which track do you least like?
Street Circuits.
Single most important advance in race safety?
Crash Tests’ on Chassis’.
What was your worst racing moment?
Ligier!
Which race do you remember with most satisfaction?
Spa 1983.
Do you have any raceday superstitions or lucky mascots?
None.
Who are your personal sponsors?
Marlboro,Mastro Lindo.
Who do you tip for future F1 stardom?
Nobody in particular.

Forza Andrea,

#250 andrea

andrea

• 600 posts

Posted 05 May 2003 - 09:54

Children’s Champions

They say that something worthwhile is worth waiting for,and for three young kart racers,the something worth waiting for was certainly worthwhile.
At the tail end of last year,Ross Kaiser (age 9),Lewis Constable (age 8) and Andrew Cole (age 10),took the podium places in the 1991 Indoor Cadet Kart British Championship,held at the Slipstream Racing circuit in Winkfield,Berks.
As part of the winners’ prize,F1 News offered to arrange a visit to F1 factory and when we approached Team Tyrrell,marketing manager Ellen Bernfeld suggested that a VIP trip to Silverstone tyre testing,as guests of the team,may be more exciting for the young champions.
It couldn’t have been timed better if it had been intentional.The wide-eyed youngsters arrived as the V10 Ilmor engine of Andrea de Cesaris crackled into life and the familiar,much copied,anhedral winged nose of Tyrrell appeared from the garage.
As de Cesaris roared down the pitlane,Ms.Bernfeld gave the boys an extended tour of the immaculately organised garage area and showed them around the second car.”I wouldn’t mind ago,”grinned Andrew as he peered longingly into the cockpit.
During the lunch break,Andrea chatted to the junior kart champions and seemed genuinely amazed when Ross told him their ages.”I think you are starting at the right age,” he told the boys.”I was 12 years old before I even sat in a kart.If you are truly interested,now is the time to get the experience.”
After an extended photocall with the relaxed and charming Tyrrell star,it was obvious that the Andrea de Cesaris Fan Club had gained three new members.

This is an article about Andrea and cadet kart champions from F1 News 1992.

Forza Andrea,