Photo

"My Dad's an Actor"

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,546 posts

Posted 27 September 2001 - 22:52

Watching a re-run of the World at War on the History channel tonight, they showed a clip from a film made during the war. It showed 2 soldiers chatting. One was Sir Bernard Miles, who had a son named John.

I said to my wife, "That man's son was a Grand Prix driver."

She asked if he survived his career and when I told her that he did, she asked me what he was doing now......

Does anyone know?

Oddly enough, there was a second motor sport connection in the same program when the news item was shown wherein Oswald Mosley was released from gaol. I wonder what happened to HIS son...... :lol:

Advertisement

#2 Wolf

Wolf

• 7,883 posts

Posted 28 September 2001 - 00:11

Judging by ol' Mosley, his son is either a criminaly insane or running multi-million dolar business... I think it's the same man that reintoduced grooved tyres Alfa Bi-motore ran on Brooklands. :lol: OK, I'll be good and refrain from any biblical quotes about trees and apples. :p

#3 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 6,459 posts

Posted 28 September 2001 - 01:15

Originally posted by Barry Boor
... a second motor sport connection in the same program when the news item was shown wherein Oswald Mosley was released from gaol. I wonder what happened to HIS son...... :lol: [/B]

He, too, ended up pushing a line that the public wouldn't buy. Is his case, it was that "tis holier to overtake via a pitstop than on the racetrack."

:drunk:

Vanwall.

#4 Kuwashima

Kuwashima

• 330 posts

Posted 28 September 2001 - 01:53

Hehe, and I thought this topic title referred to how Paul Belmondo got into F1... :lol:

#5 FLB

FLB

• 29,563 posts

Posted 28 September 2001 - 02:14

There may be also another one: Nino Barlini, Jr!;) :lol:

Antonio Sabatò, Jr. is apparently thinking about starting a racing career :eek:

#6 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,502 posts

Posted 28 September 2001 - 05:59

john miles is, I believe , a development engineer for Lotus Cars.

#7 Dave Ware

Dave Ware

• 998 posts

Posted 28 September 2001 - 16:57

A few years ago (four, five, six, approx.) there were some Lotus sports cars entered in whatever U.S. pro street stock series was running at the time, and Miles was sent over with Lotus to help the team. So a development engineer is probably correct.

#8 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,209 posts

Posted 28 September 2001 - 18:11

Could be wrong but I think John may now (in the last two years or so) be enjoying a well deserved retirement from the development engineering career he enjoyed for many years.
I said that to my sister about Sir Bernard when I saw "the Man Who Knew Too Much" & she thought I meant James Stewart ("Oh, so that's Jackie's dad is it??) :lol:
Re: Paul Belmondo, whilst he was mentioned - he always had the knack of being in the right place at the wrong time! - with March, 1993 - collapses - no money, Pacific - car turns out to be useless, with Princess Stephanie 1982, Grace Kelly dies in accident Stephanie was involved in
The way Graham Hill was involved in TV in the 70's (and of course a few films notched up as well), Damon could've said much the same thing...

#9 Frank de Jong

Frank de Jong

• 1,830 posts

Posted 28 September 2001 - 18:19

Dino Martin (son of Dean) raced Formula Ford (a Lotus 61).

#10 Wolf

Wolf

• 7,883 posts

Posted 30 September 2001 - 17:29

As I've posted elsewhere, I'm watching RTL (german TV) doing pre-race show from Cologne with Mad Max Mosley as a studio guest...;) I guess all that M$ talk that he would rather not go to Indy GP rubbed off on Max.Old romans would say- Quod licet Jovi non licet bovi.

BTW, all things considered Max' German is not so surprisingly fluent... :lol: