Photo

I had an idea...

• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

#1 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,316 posts

Posted 28 September 2001 - 07:11

For some reason or other I had an idea this morning, and I thought that I would throw it at you and see what you think.

From time to time we get requests here for information on some of the smaller championships, such as British Formula Ford or French F3. What I was wondering was why don't we create a thread on TNF for each of these smaller championships, and get people to add their results to the threads so that we can build up a more complete picture of these championships. I for one have various results sat on the hard disk of my computer which are nowhere near getting onto the web yet, but people may be able to make use of them.

I am quite prepared for this idea to be shot down in flames, so off you go......

Advertisement

#2 FEV

FEV

• 909 posts

Posted 28 September 2001 - 10:07

That seems like a great idea to me Darren. My data might not be as complete as most of you seem to have, but I'll be glad to share it this way.:up:

#3 Udo K.

Udo K.

• 655 posts

Posted 28 September 2001 - 10:25

Darren

great idea. Lets get it started right away. I already started a thread in the other forum about Formula Junior results. Roger
let us have his Autosport surveys of two seasons already - he has more. So we might be able to complete records of this formula which had so many healthy races in the late 50ies and early 60ies.
Same for Formula 3 with all the national championships from England, France, Italy, Germany, Sweden etc.
Formula Super Vee could be interesting as well. I will gladly put in all the data I have.

#4 Stefan Ornerdal

Stefan Ornerdal

• 578 posts

Posted 28 September 2001 - 10:52

Great idea.
I can add a few swedish FJ and F3-results.

Udo, what other forum?

Stefan

#5 Udo K.

Udo K.

• 655 posts

Posted 28 September 2001 - 11:45

Stefan,

ten-tenths... sorry for being unprecise.

#6 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,776 posts

Posted 28 September 2001 - 12:30

I agree it's a good idea, but can I just point out that this will take up a hell of a lot of space on the Forum and if it's done in the form of posts it will be difficult to navigate and find information. The more posts per thread, the harder it will get.

However, there is a solution methinks: anyone who has 1000 posts here can claim some free webspace and e-mail. If you go to the Golden Members section you'll see a few TNF regulars there - Wolf, Don, Barry Lake to name but three - but I think most, if not all, the sites are "under construction" (empty!). This would be a good way to use that webspace.

Udo, I know you're new here, but I'm well on the way to 1000. FEV and Stefan are a long way off, Darren's just over half-way there. I'd be quite happy to donate my space to this (when I get it!) - I'm sure others would do so if asked. There may be others who have over 1000 posts but haven't claimed the webspace.

Food for thought ...

#7 Racer.Demon

Racer.Demon

• 1,722 posts

Posted 28 September 2001 - 13:47

Ah, so some of the seemingly moribund Society ideas are surfacing again - and I think it's about time! Well done, Darren, and smart thinking, Richard. What we need is some practical thought to get things off the ground on a small scale and go from there.

8W has unlimited webspace, so no trouble there. I would be willing to host the data once they assume any meaningful form - but I'm sure Darren would love to have them as well. (And his site is more appropriate for raw results anyway.)

But I think what Darren is referring to is that these results will be very much open to discussion (and completion) before they will be suitable for publication. A forum thread could be very useful in this respect.

The best possible combination would be to appoint one volunteer per championship who will centrally maintain and update the data discussed in these threads. This will of course involve time and some HTML skill, so 1000+ members with the necessary qualifications, please step forward.

I will be happy to create a link to each championship site-in-progress on my MRH portal to motor racing history on the Web, so that you can easily switch between the sites and the forum threads.

So how about it?

As an aside there is also this unresolved matter of Forix slowly (very slowly...) building on its non-championship GP database, which is still not publicly online due to its, well, extremely incomplete character. Over the last few years and months, however, we have helped Darren's non-championship pages to become the de facto standard on non-championship results. Would Darren be interested in sharing his data with Forix, so that we could finally have a searchable non-championship GP database on the net?

Ditto with regards to Hans' mammoth efforts on the pre-war GP winners list - would he be able to (in time) produce (more or less) complete results to go with that?

These could all become very interesting and exciting projects, once we structure them in a workable, simple, and practical mould.

#8 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,316 posts

Posted 28 September 2001 - 14:43

:) Unlimited webspace is a dream........ I'm on space saving measures at the moment while I try and work out how to continue.

I'm quite happy to share any non-championship or other data that I have available with Forix. I'm not sure that it is quite as good as Racer Demon mentions - I still have vast amounts of updatable data sat on my hard disk which needs going through. That's a job for the Christmas holiday, as I use up my entitlement while my better half still has to work.......

The results I was thinking about would be open to discussion, and be both ancient and modern. For instance, there was the request recently for British Formula Ford results to which I posted the stuff I had on my computer. I've got other championship results, and rally results from a similar period which could be posted. Coding them up in HTML would be easy enough (
 and 
tags will do the trick), so I don't mind taking a step forward (or is that everyone else taking a step back while I stay in place?).

#9 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 28 September 2001 - 19:37

I'm in the process of compiling a list of all single-seater champions since BC and hope to add that to my website soon. That alone is a mammoth task, since I'm trying to include all Sprint Car and Midget champions as well, and there are hundreds alone!

Also, if I ever find the time, all the points tables of the more major single-seater championships are about to appear on my website, as detailed at http://grand-prix-ra...ts/aboutfaf.htm. I have tons of info, but not enough time to put that all into files, but maybe it's a starting point.

#10 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,776 posts

Posted 28 September 2001 - 21:39

Like I said, once my webspace is available to me, delighted to help. However, I have no experience of html - on the other hand, I live only a few miles from you Darren! As long as you're able to explain it to a non-techie, I'm happy to learn ...

#11 Barry Lake

Barry Lake

• 2,169 posts

Posted 29 September 2001 - 01:46

I also have no experience (yet) of HTML, but my Atlas F1 web space is available for this project.

Just tell me what you want.

And how do we access this Formula Junior material on "TOF"?

Can that also be transferred to one of these proposed new Atlas F1 info sites?

#12 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,502 posts

Posted 29 September 2001 - 06:44

Originally posted by Barry Lake

And how do we access this Formula Junior material on "TOF"?

http://www.ten-tenth...25&pagenumber=1

#13 Racer.Demon

Racer.Demon

• 1,722 posts

Posted 29 September 2001 - 21:59

Originally posted by fines
I'm in the process of compiling a list of all single-seater champions since BC and hope to add that to my website soon. That alone is a mammoth task, since I'm trying to include all Sprint Car and Midget champions as well, and there are hundreds alone!

Also, if I ever find the time, all the points tables of the more major single-seater championships are about to appear on my website, as detailed at http://grand-prix-ra...ts/aboutfaf.htm. I have tons of info, but not enough time to put that all into files, but maybe it's a starting point.

Michael, I'm in awe of the Everest-sized goal that you have set out for yourself, and what you are one day hoping to achieve is probably what others are trying to do for just one championship or one era.

But the 'worrying' thing about your post - and I'm sure it's worrying to you too! - are those words 'if I ever find the time'.

I think what Darren is proposing - and what I was trying to shape in a practical working mode - is that lots of people work on this together for the good of all of us, so that we get things done soon, using the platforms we have (our combined websites, Forix, etc.). So your tons of info could be of value now.

The objection that the info would get scattered across the Web doesn't really stick with me, as most of the present data already is (my MRH directory is huge already and I'm sure it's only the proverbial tip of the iceberg). As long as we know where to find it, to whom it belongs, and from where it originates - thus guaranteeing its quality - it doesn't really matter to me. Or am I being rude to Wolf now?;)

For instance, I'm overjoyed with Stefan Örnerdal's work on F2 and Le Mans, Frank de Jong's touring car site and the Krejci brothers' sportscar tomes. They are good because they can devote their entire attention to one or two beloved subjects. I guess Darren's idea is about creating more sites like Stefan's, Frank's and Martin & Roman's on other categories than Grand Prix racing - and do it in an interactive way, publishing 'up front' and using the might of TNF and 10/10ths to discuss and hopefully solve the issues that will always come up.

Finally, the reason I mentioned Forix was that it provides a searchable database for Grand Prix racing and that it should really be completed with all the pre-war and non-championship results all of us have been looking for and cross-checking. I really feel that we all will profit from collectively helping to accomplish that, so that we have at least this overview site of Grand Prix and F1 World Championship racing.

Forix's advantage is that it's already there, that it works and that we trust the people behind it to maintain it in good order. But I wouldn't want Forix to become that "single source" to overthrow all other Web sources. I only have to look at Dennis David's or Allen Brown's excellent sites to see that one subject will always have more than one perspective from which to look at it. For one, it's great to have all the results but where does that leave all the great stories?

Apologies for my post-modern way of looking at things but I was just raised that way... :)

#14 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,316 posts

Posted 01 October 2001 - 06:58

Vitesse2 - HTML can be dead simple, and I'll be happy to explain it.

Racer.Demon - If you don't mind letting me use some of the 8W web space, as I am almost out of space on mine, I propose the following. I am quite happy to build web pages for the various championships, and I am quite happy to build them along the lines of what I and Stefan have. I can also get the search engine on my webpage to link in to these, so that they are also searchable, and link them in in an appropriate way to my archives.

As a first go at this, I would take some of the information I have on Formula Ford etc, and put it on this new webpage. I would then encourage the rest of the TNF members to supply me with further information on the championships listed (AND any that are not), and together we can compile the comprehensive be all and end all of championship information (and don't forget to list the sources.....). Once the infrastructure is in place, we can then bring in foolhardy volunteers such as Vitesse2 so that I don't get overloaded. And if I talk very nicely to Racer.Demon, perhaps he might lend me some space in the case I run out completely?

I'm game, and as it is coming up to winter, I'll have more time too....

#15 Racer.Demon

Racer.Demon

• 1,722 posts

Posted 03 October 2001 - 13:02

Just a quick note to say that Darren has indeed been talking very nicely to me, with the result that he has now some 20 MB of webspace to fiddle with! For our first modest enterprise that will be enough, methinks.

So this thing is coming off the ground. A big cheer for Darren who is making it work - and will start doing all the hard work this evening... :up:

Once the first installments of data are set up he will make the appropriate announcements, like what it's about and where to find it :D

Anyone else wanting to publish their other-than-GP-racing results or whatever, get in touch with Darren (or me) and we'll see what we can do.

Remember, the site Darren is setting up is strictly a "work-in-progress" site that will be the subject of discussion on this Forum. Once the data on any given subject is nearing a finalized stage they will be moved to one of the bigger sites around. But that will be of later worry.

#16 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,316 posts

Posted 05 October 2001 - 07:11

V0.1 is now available!

Having sat at my keyboard for two evenings to put the first version together, I now have the first efforts of this endeavour available for public viewing at

http://home.wanadoo....team2/INDEX.HTM

This features so far data for:
British Formula Ford 1600
British Formula Ford 2000
British Formula Vauxhall Lotus Championship
British Open
British Rally Championship
British Rallying - various championships
British Touring Car Championship/British Saloon Car Championship
European Rally Championship
European Touring Car Championship
GM Lotus Euroseries
International German Racing Championship
Japanese Touring Car Championship
Miscellaneous Rallies
NASCAR
New Zealand Formula Pacific
South American Formula 3
World Rally Championship

I have more data to add, but I only have so much time in two evenings! I will add more data soon, but it is now also over to you.

#17 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,316 posts

Posted 05 October 2001 - 08:14

However, there is a slight flaw in my plan which comes from sorting out the data on my laptop which runs Windows 3.11 and from then uploading the data from my Pentium PC. There is a problem with the links due to capitalisation. I will sort this out properly tonight, but in the meantime the links do not work properly! You can however view the files by looking at home.wanadoo.nl/the8wteam2, (note no htm file), and then navigating the hierarchy and clicking on the files.

More data to be added sometime next week.

#18 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 05 October 2001 - 08:41

Fantastic start, Darren
Makes one realise how much there is to go!
I hope to be able to make some contributions at a later date

#19 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,316 posts

Posted 08 October 2001 - 07:10

V0.2 is now available! And I am beginning to sound like Microsoft.....

http://home.wanadoo....eam2/index.html

The problem with the links and filenames being in capitals has been solved by using a funky little script/program which changes all filenames to lowercase and then renames any .htm files to .html. While I was at it, I have added in more information. The latest list is as follows:-

Benelux Formula Ford 1600
British Formula 3 Championship
British Formula Ford 1600
British Formula Ford 2000
British Formula Vauxhall Lotus Championship
British Open
British Rally Championship
British Rallying - various championships
British Touring Car Championship/British Saloon Car Championship
Brooklands Races
EFDA Euroseries
European Formula 3 Championship
European Rally Championship
European Renault Alpine V6 Championship
European Touring Car Championship
French Formula 3 Championship
German Formula 3 Championship
German Production Car Championship
GM Lotus Euroseries
International German Racing Championship
Interserie Championship
Italian Formula 3
Japanese Touring Car Championship
Miscellaneous Formula 3
Miscellaneous Rallies
Monaco Formula 3 Races
NASCAR
New Zealand Formula Pacific
South American Formula 3
World Rally Championship

and my cop out list

British Race Results

A quick description to explain what is here. Most of the titles are self explanatory, but some may be a touch more cryptic. In my various readings, I have come across references to a great many races held at Brooklands, but usually only by the odd result, or if something strange happened. I have compiled these and listed them under Brooklands Races - they are extremely patchy, but they are a start. The British Race Results list contains all sorts of results I have found but I do not yet have a proper home for. They are mostly from the 1950s and took place on circuits which are now long gone. However, they may be of interest. In addition to these, there were many non-championship F3 races held at club meetings in those days - these are listed under the Miscellaneous Formula 3 section.

I will add to these results as and when I get extra results, either by my own findings or by your kind help.

Advertisement

#20 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 08 October 2001 - 14:02

Since my Japan project is fast coming to an intermediate end, I am starting to put some results on my Atlas website, at http://members.atlas...apan/index2.htm. I am stopping at 1993, because most of the later results can be found at http://www.motorsport.com. When I'm finished, I will be having (almost) complete results for all Japanese Formula 1, 2, 3, 2000, 3000, Libre, Nippon and Pacific races from 1966 to date. As a modest start, the 1993 Formula 1 and 3000 results are now online; Formula 3 will follow a bit later.

#21 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,316 posts

Posted 05 November 2001 - 08:14

[Best Sergent Major voice]Right you 'orrible lot![/end of Sergent Major Voice] (those of you who have watched It Ain't Half Hot Mum will know the voice I mean......

Firstly: 1987 World Touring Car Cup. I'm about to upload some results for this year (top 6 only). Does anyone know the dates of the races, and can anyone supply any further results beyond top 6?

Secondly: Stefan - can you supply those Swedish FJ and F3 results?

And anyone else who can help, don't be shy, get in contact!

#22 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,316 posts

Posted 20 November 2001 - 07:57

Added
-----

1987 World Touring Car Championship Results
1946-1957 Formula Libre races

Formula Super Vee (Thanks to Udo Klinkel)
- European Formula Super Vee
- Formula Super Vee GTX
- Formel Super Vau Gold Pokal
- Robert Bosch US Formula Super Vee

F5000 - Added 1969 Zandvoort, 1975 Zandvoort

1100cc races (post-WW2. Thanks to Marco, Hans Etzrodt and the TNF crowd)

1957 European Hillclimb results (thanks to a posting by Alessandro Silva on TNF)

Other Sources:
- Reinald Schumann, "Motorsport in Deutschland, 1945-1955", Motorbuch Verlag Stuttgart, 1992
- several issues of German periodical "Der Motorsport"
- several issues of German periodocal "Das Auto"
- Paul Sheldon, "A Record of Grand Prix and Voiturette Racing, Volume 4", St Leonard's Press Bradford, 1993
- Paul Sheldon, manuscript for a proposed book covering German F2 and F3 Racing 1949-1959
- Auto Motor und Sport
- "A History of Motorsport in Ireland 1903-1969"by W.A.McMaster

I have some more info which I have been sent which will be added soon. As always, I need your help!

#23 Barry Lake

Barry Lake

• 2,169 posts

Posted 21 November 2001 - 02:01

Is this the place where I should be hanging out waiting for results of F3 races of 1967-1968-1969 mentioning Mo Nunn?:clap:

#24 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,316 posts

Posted 21 November 2001 - 08:06

:lol: Probably, although don't hold your breath too long! It will arrive eventually.......

#25 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,316 posts

Posted 07 December 2001 - 21:13

Updates
-------

Formula Junior - added 1963 and 1964 Swedish F.Junior
- Italian F.Junior (thanks to Udo Klinkel, source: Formula Junior, by Luigi Orsini).
Also thanks to my cat Bib for carefully adding extra spaces while I was editing the Italian F.Junior data!
- added other races from 1962 & 1963 (source: Autosport, January 1963 & 1964

Courtesy of Stefan Oernerdal:
Swedish Formula 3 (1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1965)
Monaco Formula 3 (1988)
1988 European Formula 3 Challenge
1988 Cellnet Superprix
1988 FIA F3 Europa Cup

Thanks to David McKinney's postings on TNF, added the 500 Millas de Rafaele to the Formula Libre Results for 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1958, 1959, 1961, 1962, 1963.
Also added Premio Otono and 500 Millas de Rafaele races for the pre-WW2 years, again thanks to David McKinney's posting.

Courtesy of Stanislav Stepanek
1971 Sudam Formula 3
1971 British Formula 3
1971 French Formula 3

Added to the Miscellaneous F3 section:
Top 3 results for Whitchurch 1959 (source: Bristol Evening Post, 4th August 1959)

Added Miscellaneous Touring Car/Saloon Car Race section.
4th August 1959 Whitchurch event - Grand Touring Car, Production Car race

#26 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,316 posts

Posted 06 January 2002 - 16:54

Updates
-------

Added results for 1909 and 1910 O'Gorman Trophy at Brooklands (source: Racing Cars and Record Breakers 1898-1921 by T.R.Nicholson)

Added results for following Monaco F3 races: 1964-1978 (sources: www.formel3register.de, Autosport, Jon Hromada)

Added results for 1973-1983 German Rennsportmeisterschaft and 1982-1983 German Rennsporttrophae (thanks to Udo Klinkel for the data)

Added results for European F3 (1975-1984, sources: www.formel3register.de, Autosport).
Added results for German F3 (1950-1958, sources: www.formel3register.de, Udo Klinkel)

#27 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,316 posts

Posted 06 March 2002 - 08:13

This was updated on Sunday evening, but I've been at a Conference since then so this is the first chance I've had to notify people. Many thanks for all of your efforts, and you are keeping me busy!

Updates
-------

German F3 - 1959 (sources: www.formel3register.de, Udo Klinkel)

German FJunior - 1959-1962 (sources: www.formel3register.de, Udo Klinkel)
Monaco FJunior - 1959-1963

Monaco F3 - 1950,1984-1995. 1978 & 1983 races thanks to Stefan Oernerdal.

Other miscellaneous F3 races

Swedish F3 - 1966, 1967, 1970 (thanks to Stefan Oernerdal)
Europa Cup 1966-1967 (thanks to Stefan Oernerdal)

Italian F3 - 1971 (thanks to Stanislav Stepanek)

Lombard North Central F3 - 1971 (thanks to Stanislav Stepanek)

F.Libre - 1947 Gransden Lodge - added further results (thanks to Jimmy Piget)

#28 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 10 March 2002 - 15:56

For those still interested, I have updated my Japan pages again, see http://members.atlas...apan/index2.htm. Now online are the complete F3000 and F3 results from 1992, the year in which future World Champion Jacques Villeneuve raced in Japanese F3. Scoring points in every one of the ten championship rounds (though, ironically, completing but one lap at all in the two important non-points races), he finished runner-up in the championship ahead of fellow Japan debutants Rickard Rydell and Tom Kristensen, beaten only by Anthony Reid who'd impressed already in his four end-of-season appearances in 1991. Also new on the scene were Niko Palhares, Olivier Thévenin and the British trio of Derek Higgins, Julian Westwood and lady racer Heather Baillie to take on Eugenio Visco, Victor Rosso, Mika Salo and the home boys, including future F1 drivers Takachiho Inoe and Shinji Nakano as well as the current Formula Nippon Champion, Satoshi Motoyama. The International F3 League race at Fuji in November saw more stars line up, notably David Coulthard, Gil de Ferran, Jean-Christophe Boullion, Pedro Lamy, Jörg Müller, Philippe Adams and Vincenzo Sospiri. On the car front, the year was notable for the last major F3 championship for Ralt, the last appearance of the Volkswagen engine in Japan and the fruitless attempt of Van Diemen to break into the F3 market.

The competitive F3000 series saw the advent of Heinz-Harald Frentzen (subbing for the tinitus-affected championship leader Volker Weidler) and Marco Apicella (finally winning in F3000) to take on Eddie Irvine, Ross Cheever, the late Jeff Krosnoff, Mauro Martini, Paulo Carcasci, Thomas Danielsson, Salo, Rydell, Kristensen and Japan returnees Andrew Gilbert-Scott (now Takuma Sato's manager) and the late Roland Ratzenberger. Local stars included the legendary Kazuyoshi Hoshino, Kunimitsu Takahashi and Masahiro Hasemi as well as Toshio Suzuki, Naoki Hattori, Takuya Kurosawa and Nakano. Quite a field! Contrary to International F3000, the Lola chassis was still the one to beat, with Reynard merely biting at their heels, while the locally-built Dome took its first laurels and the latest Ralt proved to be a colossal flop. The Cosworth DFV became ever more prominent, and a lone Judd KV-engined car provided even more competition to the ubiquitous Mugen MF308. All in all a very interesting season, marred only by the fatal accident of 1989 Champion Hitoshi Ogawa. :(

Sorry that it took so long to finish the update, but the good news is that I made considerable progress with the data. With the latest help of Tooru Kitajima and his fabulous website at http://isweb34.infos....jp/motor/fndc/ it has been possible to fill in almost all the gaps that were still there at the time of the launch of the site. Additionally, I have been able to find more practice results by some sort of "shooting in the dark", for it seems the data is all there on the JAF site, but just the links are missing! I don't know yet how much of it I will be able to uncover, but for the time being expect virtually complete results for all F1, F2, F2000, F3000, FPacific, F3 and now also FJ 1300 races from 1973 to date! There are still some minor gaps in pre '73 F2000 and FLibre results, so that any help is still welcomed very much! Some sketchy reports are also available, including for some of the earlier races, and even the odd chassis number! Generally speaking, the data contains Name of Race, Circuit, Date, Track Conditions, Number of Entries, Fastest Race Lap, Finishing Position, Starting Number, Name and Nationality of Driver, Entrant, Car Make and Type, Time and Number of Laps, Qualifying Position and Time.

I have also made an update to my regular site, where you can now find the points tables of the major single-seater championships of 1988, i.e. Formula 1 Constructors, Formula 1 Drivers, CART World Series, International F3000, Japanese F3000 and American Racing Series: http://grand-prix-ra.../facts/cc/1988/. From the following year on, the major F3 series (D, F, GB, I and J) will also be included.

#29 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,316 posts

Posted 31 March 2002 - 14:51

Updates
-------

1972 Monaco F3 race - added entrants (thanks to Stefan Oernerdal)
1963+1964 German FJunior (thanks to Udo Klinkel, www.formel3register.de)

1967 Swedish F3 - added results for 27th Aug Knutsdorp, 5th Sep Haemenlinna & 24th Sep Skarpnack races (thanks to Udo Klinkel)

Formula Super Vee:
(thanks to Stanislav Stepanek)
Extended 1977, 1978, 1979 European series results
1977, 1978 German Championship
1974, 1975, 1976 Formel Super Vee GTX Championship
1974, 1975, 1976 Formel Super Vee Gold Pokal

1950-1956,1971 French Formula 3 - thanks to Udo Klinkel
Source: L'epopee francaise des "Racers 500" 1949-1959 by Francois Jolly. Editions du Palmier.

#30 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,316 posts

Posted 24 April 2002 - 08:53

This is a bit of a request for help due to the sheer number of things I am trying to do at once. I'm looking for a couple of volunteers (or stupid people, depending on how you look at it) to help with the tedious work of transferring data from one format (PDF) to another (text) so that I can then cross-reference the data to other sources and HTML encode it. I'm simply doing too many things at once, and trying to have a life beyond my laptop from time to time, to be able to get through my German F3 results with any degree of speed. A template of what to do and the results to work on will be supplied. The only benefits are a job well done and the results being posted on the minor championships page, plus acknowledgements for the help. The problem has arisen due to the amount of information people have kindly sent me! One day I dream of the amount of things to do decreasing............

#31 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,776 posts

Posted 24 April 2002 - 15:13

:blush: Darren - my apologies! You asked me about this last week and I have neglected to reply. Been a bit preoccupied with another project - coming up at 8W any day now!

So ...

Yes - delighted to help! that is as long as my creaking 48K system running W98 and Acrobat Reader 5.0 will do the job ....

#32 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,316 posts

Posted 24 April 2002 - 15:16

Creaking he says! I do most of my editing on a 60 Mhz Pentium laptop with 8MB of memory (runs W3.11), and a Pentium 400 Mhz 32MB PC (W98). Sounds positively uptodate to me!

Thanks for the offer Vitesse2....... I will take you up on it!

#33 Gert

Gert

• 209 posts

Posted 26 April 2002 - 19:11

Darren,
if you still need help, I 'm a volunteer too!
(hope you can provide me with a clear explanation of how to do things - I am not a PDF expert at all )
:|
But I've seen your excellent works before and would be more than happy to be part of the adventure :-)

Gert.

#34 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,316 posts

Posted 28 May 2002 - 07:14

Vitesse2 - I dropped you an e-mail a while ago, but I don't know whether it got through.... Could be the creaking corporate network I was using or your creaking PC! Could you please drop me a note as to whether you received it or not.

Also, I must thank FEV & Gert here. They are proving to be an immense help, and there will be a large update on the way soon.

#35 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,316 posts

Posted 27 August 2002 - 07:09

German F3
1967-1980,1983-1985 - sources: Udo Klinkel, www.formel3register.de
Many thanks to GERT JANSEN & FRANK MAUD for their time and effort in transcribing some of these results

Miscellaneous F3:
1965 Bolzano-Mendola Hillclimb (source: "Time and Two Seats", Janos Wimpffen)
1950-1954 F3 races at Castle Combe
1967 & 1969 Nations Cup (additional info thanks to Stefan Oernerdal)
Extended 1953 & 1967 Swedish F3 results (additional info thanks to Stefan Oernerdal)

Formula Libre: Updated/added the following races
1950 Hastings Trophy
3rd May 1952 Castle Combe
1952 Hastings Trophy
3rd Apr 1954 Castle Combe
1958 Sears Trophy, Snetterton (source: Autosport, thanks to David McKinney)

F5000:
I Grand Prix of Madrid (1969) - source: F5000 Fact Book 1969-1972 (Europe), by Paul Sheldon & Duncan Rabagliatti, St.Leonards Press 1989 - courtesy of Don Capps

Others:
I ADAC Stadion-Rennen (source: "Der Motorwagen", issue 14 1923 - thanks to TNF posting)

If anyone is mad enough to want to help with any editing of data, I've got plenty to keep the potential fellow inmate busy!

#36 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,316 posts

Posted 05 September 2002 - 07:52

British Race Results
--------------------
Added Filton Sprint, Backwell, Avonmouth & Weston-Super-Mare results to this section (many thanks to Peter Stowe)

Rallying - Updated Miscellaneous, British, European & WRC results. Includes 1908 Prinz Heinrich Fahrt (thanks to Tjeerd van der Zee)

Many thanks to the two volunteers who PM'd me this week. Hopefully their noble efforts will vastly speed up the accumulation of information here, and help to reverse the continual growth of data and "things to do at some point" on my hard disk.......

#37 Pete Stowe

Pete Stowe

• 481 posts

Posted 18 September 2002 - 20:19

Darren, have just come across an Autocar report of a Yorkshire Sports Car Club race meeting at Tholthorpe Aerodrome on 28 Sept 1947, which I don’t see in your circuit listings.
Course was 1.2 miles on the runways. Races were all 6 laps apart from the racing car handicap (12 laps), with 2 to 4 heats & a final for each class

Results, finals
1100cc sports cars 1. Arthur Mallock (Austin 747s)
1500cc sports cars 1. TC Harrison (Riley Sprite) Gee (Riley TT)
2000cc sports cars 1. Gee (Riley TT) 2. TC Harrison (Riley Sprite)
unlimited sports cars 1. Tyrer (Frazer Nash-BMW) 2. Gee (Riley) 3. Wise (CW8)
all comers sports car handicap 1. Phillips (Fairly) 2. Pilkington (MG) 3. Buck (Alvis)
1100cc racing cars 1. French (Mallock’s Austin) 2. Reynolds (R-type MG)
1500cc racing cars 1. Slater (ERA)
2000cc racing cars 1. Harrison (2 litre ex-Gerad Riley) 2. Tyrer (Frazer Nash BMW)
unlimited racing cars 1. Slater (ERA) 2. Buck (2.3 Bugatti)
all comers racing car handicap1. Needham (Riley), 2Wadsworth (HRG) 3 Slater (ERA)

#38 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,316 posts

Posted 19 September 2002 - 07:07

Many thanks for pointing that out Pete. Can anyone else supply a circuit map (anyone who has access to MotorSport from that period, perhaps?))

#39 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,316 posts

Posted 30 September 2002 - 10:26

Added new section - Soviet race championships. Includes:
Friendship of Socialist Countries Cup (USSR) - thanks to Alexey Rogachev (from Russian magazines - "Svet Motoru" and others)
Soviet Formula 1 Championship - thanks to Alexey Rogachev

Formula Libre
-------------
Corrected 1947 Rund um die Bavaria to Rund um Schotten. Also corrected date type (1947, not 1946), and typo in track name (missing h). Thanks to Egon Thurner for pointing this out.

Rallies
-------

Added:
1947 Junior Car Club Rally (source: "Stirling Moss - The Authorised Biography", by Robert Edwards)
1950 Daily Express Rally (source: "Stirling Moss - The Authorised Biography", by Robert Edwards)
1952 Alpine Rally, Daily Express Rally (source: "Stirling Moss - The Authorised Biography", by Robert Edwards)
1953 Alpine Rally (source: "Stirling Moss - The Authorised Biography", by Robert Edwards)
1954 Great American Mountain Rally (source: "Stirling Moss - The Authorised Biography", by Robert Edwards)
1959 & 1961 German Rally Championship - added 1st place driver (source: Motorsport, October 2002, pg 90-92)
1961-1964 Gran Premio Internacional Standard Supermovil YPF (source: Motorsport, October 2002, pg 90-92)
1982 Manx Rally (source: Autosport, 19 September 2002, pg 61)
1971-1993 Barum Rally - added first place positions (source: http://www.barum.rally.cz/)

Updated:
1953 Monte Carlo Rally - added Stirling Moss in 6th (source: "Stirling Moss - The Authorised Biography", by Robert Edwards)
1954 Monte Carlo Rally & Alpine Rally - added Stirling Moss in 6th (source: "Stirling Moss - The Authorised Biography", by Robert Edwards)
1992 Rally Australia - added 2nd & 3rd positions (source: Autosport, 19th September 2002, pg 61)

Other GB Races
--------------
Added Tholthorpe Aerodrome races - thanks to Pete Stowe (source: Autocar)

Formula Super Vee
-----------------

Source: Autodrom 9, 1976 (thanks to Piet Ram)
1975 Formula Super Vee GTX - thanks to Neil Cameron & Schildkroete for transcribing the data

Extended 1981 Robert Bosch US Super Vee - thanks to Neil Cameron for transcribing the data
Added 1980 Robert Bosch US Super Vee - thanks to Neil Cameron for transcribing the data

Formula Atlantic - added 1976 South African Championship. Thanks to Schildkroete for editing the data, and for Piet Ram for supplying it.

Formula 3 - thanks to Stefan Oernerdal
Added 1969 Lombank Trophy, plus other 1969 UK F3 races.

Advertisement

#40 sat

sat

• 347 posts

Posted 30 September 2002 - 20:51

from Russian magazines - "Svet Motoru" and others

Svìt Motorù is Czechoslovakian (or Czech today) magazine indeed...

#41 anjakub

anjakub

• 612 posts

Posted 30 September 2002 - 21:11

Yes.

Svìt Motorù was very popular in Poland in 70's and 80's. This Czechoslovakian magazine was better than Polish Motor.

#42 Alexey Rogachev

Alexey Rogachev

• 908 posts

Posted 10 October 2002 - 12:34

Originally posted by sat

Svìt Motorù is Czechoslovakian (or Czech today) magazine indeed...

Sat, searching for Friendship of Socialist Countries Cup results I looked through all issues of 1989 & 1990 Svet Motoru but found nothing. Perhaps you know where I can find these results..... I know that 1985 FSCC season was highlighted in the Svet Motoru in details - I read some of these articles. But what happened in 1989 and in 1990?

#43 anjakub

anjakub

• 612 posts

Posted 10 October 2002 - 13:18

Alexey,

1989 was the last year existence of the Cup of Peace and Friendship (early known under name the Cup of the People Democratic Countries).

Please, check drivers names on your list (many errors).

Andrzej

#44 sat

sat

• 347 posts

Posted 10 October 2002 - 20:41

But what happened in 1989 and in 1990?

With politic changes in our country changes in Svet motoru comes too. Some time exist two different Svet motoru in same time, both in very poor quality. I mean that reports about Cup of Peace and Friendship was never very good and complete, but in this time it was absolutely nothing.

#45 Alexey Rogachev

Alexey Rogachev

• 908 posts

Posted 11 October 2002 - 11:56

Originally posted by anjakub
Alexey,

1989 was the last year existence of the Cup of Peace and Friendship (early known under name the Cup of the People Democratic Countries).

Please, check drivers names on your list (many errors).

Andrzej

Andrzej,

Cup of Peace and Friendship still existed in 1990 - I have the results of its three rounds! Perhaps Polish drivers didn't participate in it that year......

Frankly speaking, I've no possibility to check drivers' names as I used only Russian-language sources (I've found nothing in the Svet Motoru, and only its issues of 1985-90 are available now). So I'll be grateful for your corrections.

Alexey

#46 anjakub

anjakub

• 612 posts

Posted 11 October 2002 - 12:58

Alexey

Cup of Peace and Friendship in 1990 probably was only Russian series with Scandinavian racers. (not under the auspices of federations former socialist countries).

Now I'm doing research of the Cup of Peace and Friendship. I'm looking for all sources about races, drivers, cars and tracks. I'm interested in the reports from Russian monthly magazine "Za Rulem" and others. (years 60's and first half of 70's).

Andrzej

#47 sat

sat

• 347 posts

Posted 11 October 2002 - 22:22

Cup of Peace and Friendship in 1990 probably was only Russian series with Scandinavian racers.

Not so!
IIRC 4 races for cup was in 1990: Poznan, Havirov, Riga and Schleiz. I have no results from last one and very uncomplete from first three

#48 Alexey Rogachev

Alexey Rogachev

• 908 posts

Posted 12 October 2002 - 06:24

Originally posted by anjakub
Alexey

Now I'm doing research of the Cup of Peace and Friendship. I'm looking for all sources about races, drivers, cars and tracks. I'm interested in the reports from Russian monthly magazine "Za Rulem" and others. (years 60's and first half of 70's).

Andrzej

Andrzej,

I've just looked through all the data on Cup of Peace and Friendship in "Za Rulem" (this series was called Friendship of Socialist Countries Cup there). This information was gathered together and sent to Darren Galpin. However, the most detailed information is about 1974-1988, and as for 1960s, it's very poor.

#49 anjakub

anjakub

• 612 posts

Posted 12 October 2002 - 11:20

sat and Alexey
Thanks very much

OK
1990 was a strange year. Year in which Cup of Peace and Friendship sentenced to death.

Call to all
Actually I have about 70 procentage of results of the Cup of Peace and Friendship. I need especially results from 60's, first half of 70's and two last years (1989, 1990).
I should be obliged to any help.

#50 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,316 posts

Posted 13 November 2002 - 08:22

British F3
----------
Added 1985 & 1986 Championship tables + results. Thanks to Tjeerd van der Zee (source: Dutch Rally & Race Yearbook 1985/6 & 1986/7)
Added 1991 & 1992 Championship results. Thanks to Tjeerd van der Zee (source: Dutch Rally & Race Yearbook 1991/2 & 1992/3)

GM Lotus Euroseries
-------------------
1991 & 1992 Championship positions. Thanks to Tjeerd van der Zee (source: Dutch Rally & Race Yearbook 1991/2 & 1992/3)

European Renault Alpine V6 Turbo Cup
------------------------------------
1985 & 1986 Championship positions. Thanks to Tjeerd van der Zee (source: Dutch Rally & Race Yearbook 1985/86 & 1986/87)

Formula Super Vee
-----------------
1982 Robert Bosch Super Vee additional results - thanks to Neil Cameron for his time and effort in transcribing these results.

European Hillclimb Championship
-------------------------------
Corrected typo's - Edgar Barth, not Eugen Barth. Hans Hermann, not Herrmann. Thanks to Otto Grabe for pointing this out.

Rallying
--------
Added:
Blomqvist's car number for 1982 San Remo Rally (source: Autosport, 10th October 2002, pg 59)
Auriol to 1992 San Remo Rally (source: Autosport, 10th October 2002, pg 59)
Juha Kankkunen to 1983 1000 Lakes (source: Autosport, 10th October 2002, pg 27)
Per Eklund to 1983 Cote d'Ivoire & 1984 RAC Rally (source: Autosport, 10th October 2002, pg 27)
1954 Tulip Rally winner (source: Motorsport, November 2002, pg 95)
Preston to 1980 Safari Rally (source: Motorsport, November 2002, pg 95)
1977 London-Sydney Rally (source: Motorsport, November 2002, pg 95)
Added Cowan, Singh, Fowkes & Zasada to 1978 Safari Rally (source: Motorsport, November 2002, pg 95)
1978 Vuelta a la America del Sud (source: Motorsport, November 2002, pg 95 & 97)
Preston Jr, Waldegard to 1979 Safari Rally (source: Motorsport, November 2002, pgs 96-97)
Waxenberger to 1964 Acropolis Rally (source: Motorsport, November 2002, pg 96)
Waldgard & Preston to 1979 Ivory Coast Rally (source: Motorsport, November 2002, pg 96)
Carlsson & Waldegard to 1980 Portuguese Rally (source: Motorsport, November 2002, pg 96)
Mikkola, Cowan & Waldegard to 1980 Safari Rally (source: Motorsport, November 2002, pg 98)
Waldegard & Mikkola to 1980 Codasur Rally (source: Motorsport, November 2002, pg 98)
Danielsson & Waldegard to 1980 Acropolis Rally (source: Motorsport, November 2002, pg 98)
Cowan, Waldegard & Mikkola to 1980 NZ Rally (source: Motorsport, November 2002, pg 98)
Recalde & Preston to 1980 Ivory Coast Rally (source: Motorsport, November 2002, pg 98)
1971 & 1972 Bandama Rally (source: Motor-Racing's Strangest Races, by Geoff Tibballs, pg 190)
1961 Warsaw Rally (source: Finnish Grand Prix - 50 Years of Rallying, by Marko Makinen and Samuli Rauhala, pg 43)
1976 Elba Rally (source: Finnish Grand Prix - 50 Years of Rallying, by Marko Makinen and Samuli Rauhala, pg 86)
Added Alen to 1976 Morroccan Rally (source: Finnish Grand Prix - 50 Years of Rallying, by Marko Makinen and Samuli Rauhala, pg 86)

Updated all 1000 Lakes Rally Results (source: Finnish Grand Prix - 50 Years of Rallying, by Marko Makinen and Samuli Rauhala)

Added/Updated the following 1987 events, with stage times (source: Rallycourse 1987/88):
Paris-Dakar Rally
Monte Carlo Rally
Swedish Rally
Safari Rally
Tour de Corse
Acropolis Rally
Portuguese Rally
Olympus Rally
New Zealand Rally
Rally Argentina
1000 Lakes Rally
Ivory Coast Rally