Photo

End of the road for Benetton

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Megatron

Megatron

• 3,688 posts

Posted 09 October 2001 - 18:03

After this Sunday, the Benetton name will be absent from a Formula One car for the first time since 1982 (remember they sponsored Tyrrell and Alfa before buying Toleman).

Are you gong to miss them? They had some wonderful paint schemes along the way, such as the B186, B190, B192, and B194. They won the 95 Constructors title and the 94 and 95 titles with Schumacher.

They have worked with BMW, Ford, Renault, Renault/Supertec/Playlife, and back to Renault.

They will be missed next year, although the team will remain virtually the same as the Renault factory effort.

Ironic, that Renault's final year was 1985 and Beneton's first was 1986.

Advertisement

#2 cjpani

cjpani

• 2,456 posts

Posted 09 October 2001 - 18:27

Megatron, sad indeed.
Although as you say, they will remain virtually the same, those amazing liveries and paint schemes used in the early stages of their effort will be fondly missed.
Not that they were using them nowdays :(

B E N E T T O N
cheers
cj

#3 mhferrari

mhferrari

• 3,238 posts

Posted 09 October 2001 - 21:25

They will be missed, the United Colours of Benetton. :(

#4 MattFoster

MattFoster

• 4,772 posts

Posted 10 October 2001 - 00:00

let us hope the name Benetton remains as a team sponsor.

#5 Zawed

Zawed

• 4,500 posts

Posted 10 October 2001 - 01:31

Yeah it is a shame as a team they will no longer exist but don't they have a couple of years to go as sponsors of Renault??

I always liked the colour schemes of 92/93.

#6 Racer.Demon

Racer.Demon

• 1,705 posts

Posted 11 October 2001 - 13:02

You mean that next year's "Renaults" won't be yellow?

But... that would mean that the only reason why the Benetton was still a Benetton this year was because of its embarrassing performances while only next year's performance - of which Fisichella gave us a preview - will warrant the use of the Renault name. No, it can't be just that, can it? :rolleyes:

And with my Benetton coat surviving for six years, not all Benetton products are crap, so I don't see Benetton's link with qualifying 19th. In fact, Toyota will probably be happy to do so next year! Or will they enter as the Panasonic-Toyota until they move further up the grid? But then the same argument applies: my Panasonic video works like a charm.

These marketing concepts get increasingly intrepid by the day. And I'm in marketing!

Oh well... :(

#7 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 11 October 2001 - 13:12

Originally posted by Racer.Demon
In fact, Toyota will probably be happy to do so next year!

Don't anderestimate Ove Undersson! I could believe them springing a real surprise... :eek:

#8 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 3,286 posts

Posted 11 October 2001 - 14:53

I especially liked the Benetton team of 1986 with Gerhard Berger (winning at Mexico) and Teo Fabi. Those were the days !

#9 Mickey

Mickey

• 2,868 posts

Posted 11 October 2001 - 15:02

Originally posted by Megatron
They had some wonderful paint schemes along the way, such as the B186, B190, B192, and B194.

Here are those designs:

B186
Posted Image

B190
Posted Image

B192
Posted Image

B194
Posted Image

Benetton's first and last wins came with Gerhard Berger at the wheel, and those victories were, accidently, also Gerhard's first and last.

Berger's and Benetton's first win, Mexico 1986
Posted Image

Berger's and Benetton's last win, Hockenheim 1997
Posted Image

Thanks Forix!

#10 Takahashi

Takahashi

• 53 posts

Posted 11 October 2001 - 15:07

The sign that Benetton has become an accepted fixture in F1 lies in this: when you think of 'Benetton', you think of an F1 team, you think of Schumacher, you think of Briatore etc. You don't think of a knitwear company.

But really, when Benetton became a team in its own right in 1986, that would have been like calling the Williams cars 'Compaqs' next year ... could you imagine someone saying, "And Montoya goes into the lead in his Compaq"??? :)

The only other recent teams I can think of which have changed the name of the team to the name of the sponsor were March (to Leyton House), and Osella (to Fondmetal).

#11 Marco94

Marco94

• 393 posts

Posted 11 October 2001 - 15:14

Don't forget Foodwork (Arrows) and Beatrice (whatever that was).

#12 Takahashi

Takahashi

• 53 posts

Posted 11 October 2001 - 15:29

Oops, forgot about Footwork. That was an obvious one ...

As for Beatrice, who knows what that team was really called? Alan Jones drove for them and even he's still confused, I think! :D Was it Lola, Team Haas, Team Beatrice ...

#13 No27

No27

• 1,254 posts

Posted 11 October 2001 - 16:49

In the early years Benneton graphics were great. When Mild Seven joined in it became a terrible mess and the blue colour they use looks so awfully slow. Will I miss them? Sort off. I liked seeing Gerhard Berger winning their first Grand Prix and Schumacher winning their first championship. After that they became establishment to lose the edge when Schumacher (and all the others) went to Ferrari. They got a bit of boring last years so no, I won't miss them.

#14 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 11 October 2001 - 17:19

Originally posted by Takahashi
As for Beatrice, who knows what that team was really called? Alan Jones drove for them and even he's still confused, I think! :D Was it Lola, Team Haas, Team Beatrice ...

The team was called "Team Haas", the cars "Lola" (because Carl Haas was Lola importer to the USofA, and he had a right to use the name, even though Eric Broadley and the Huntingdon outfit had absolutely nothing to do with the project), and the constructor was "FORCE" (Formula One Race Car Engineering, btw what a clever name!).

#15 Gary C

Gary C

• 4,538 posts

Posted 11 October 2001 - 18:02

I always regarding Benetton as a marketing exercise anyway.....but then, you can say that about a few of the teams these days.

#16 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 11 October 2001 - 18:16

... like Ferrari?

#17 Marco94

Marco94

• 393 posts

Posted 12 October 2001 - 07:34

During my visit to McLaren in 1999, the team members actually were very clear about the fact that they are a "marketing exersize." They told us that they are selling an image, when representing it's "partners" (some wold use the word sponsor here, but that is entierly wrong apperently)