Photo

AAR's proposed engines...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Megatron

Megatron

• 3,688 posts

Posted 11 October 2001 - 10:50

I was reading the other day where the Weslake was originally intended to be the BRM engine of choice until they chose the Rudd H16 unit, as everyone thought the 3 liter formula would require such engines.

I know the Weslake was an ok unit, but I have heard that AAR were considering their own power unit had the F1 project continued. Is this true?

I just wish Dan had stayed around long enough to get his hands on an Eagle-Ford.

Advertisement

#2 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,513 posts

Posted 11 October 2001 - 13:26

The Weslake was designed by Aubrey Woods (ex-BRM), who'd worked with Dan in 1960. BRM rejected the original design, but it gave (supposedly) good results in early tests.

I think Weslake were a bit out of their league in F1 and it's worth remembering that AAR took over the development of the engines from them. AAR also got a shock when they ran it on BRM's dyno - it only developed about 390bhp, when Weslake had been claiming 412. They had a tendency to blow up a lot too...

When AAR pulled out they had a new Southgate design on the drawing board and there were tentative plans to run a V12 and another with a Cosworth - nothing came of that though, as the money ran out.

#3 bobbo

bobbo

• 841 posts

Posted 11 October 2001 - 14:13

Lack of money . . .

The root of so many good or potentially good teams going nowhere or falling by the wayside . . .

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Bobbo